Content output during game of the year

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi all!

I was just thinking about how when game of the year content is recorded that there is a natural slowdown in regular content output during that time. The crew are busy recording special shows and podcasts for the end of the year so the lower output during this time is expected.

This being said, I feel like since there is a larger crew, the special holiday shows and podcasts have become a little too chaotic for me. I like seeing the crew all together but that feeling soon fades when I hear everyone trying to talk over each other. I think I would prefer having a crew make content while the rest are in the podcast room, with personnel rotating each day. I think it would make things less chaotic while increasing the output of content during the recordings. I know we would lose some game of the year opinions because of this, but I feel like the extra video content might be worth it. It's just a thought I have had and am wondering what other Giant Bombers think.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the content slow down, it makes catching up on things that much easier. Plus, GOTY winners wouldn't be a true staff consensus if there were people rotating in and out of the deliberations to make content, and everyone having an equal say in all categories, to me, is critical for GOTY deliberations.

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patoday: That's what I have been thinking about as far as the GOTY podcasts go. I wouldn't mind them being a little less chaotic but I don't know how I would feel about the results seeing as not everyone participated. Then again, I don't take any of the GOTY stuff too seriously. I just like seeing and hearing everyone having fun.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By htr10

Biggest problem with holiday content for me? I develop an acute deficiency of Jeff Bakalar.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hack1501:I like the chaos, personally. Everyone plays a role in the debate, even it's a game or category they have no opinion on. With the amount of staff in on the GOTY podcasts, having an impartial party involved in the conversation but not on a side allows that person to keep the conversation from going too far into the weeds, and keeps the debate moving towards a decision.

I love hearing people letting the passion behind their argument really come through, and the reactions that come from said arguments. I don't think the GOTY formula needs any changes or tweaking.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

All I can say is that I was a little devastated when I realized that there won't be an Alex Effect this week (it will forever be the Alex Effect in my mind).

Other than that, hey thats just how it is I guess. I doubt they will split the crew because it's much better to have all hands working on one project than have a weird skeleton crew sweating it trying to push out GOTY content while the other half are making QL's of Steam indie grabs, because thats basically all that is coming out at this point in the year.

SirGregMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

All I can say is that I was a little devastated when I realized that there won't be an Alex Effect this week (it will forever be the Alex Effect in my mind).

Other than that, hey thats just how it is I guess. I doubt they will split the crew because it's much better to have all hands working on one project than have a weird skeleton crew sweating it trying to push out GOTY content while the other half are making QL's of Steam indie grabs, because thats basically all that is coming out at this point in the year.

Regarding only "Steam indie grabs", I guess that's what Smash, Just Cause 4, Katamari Damacy Reroll, PUBG (PS4), Subnautica (on consoles), Parkitect, Gwent, Fighting EX Layer (Win) and others are, just steam indies. I understand the logic however, the post black Friday time has historically been devoid of good games being released this generation of consoles has changed that, e.g. Just Cause 3 launched Dec 1 2015.

Personally I understand the reasoning. It allows them to focus on the podcasts while that's happening and allows them to fill the desk for videos, allowing those not involved in a particular video some time away. Also personally I'm way behind on podcasts due to a recent Disney World trip which was followed by being sick/my wife being off, so I had basically two weeks with minimal podcasts/GB videos, though around the time all the GB GOTY stuff comes out I'll start to get backed up by having my kids home all day, then in-laws visiting and finally moving, so I'll catch up on all of it mid/late January, but that's how things go sometimes.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Me too but it's something to look forward to in the new year. Not too far away at least.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

In the last year, I've realized I'd much rather have them stop doing so many lengthy game of the year categories and maybe just do an overall GotY (or just stop them altogether), supplemented with personal top 10s from each of the staff members. That way, they could use the two weeks together in the same office to film a bunch more fun videos together where they're having a good time, instead of several hours of vigorous talking that slowly drains the life from each of them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sirgregmac: I get what you're saying but out of all those games admittedly Just Cause 4 is the biggest release and even that to me is kind of a B-game if you will. I guess I meant to say all the remaining releases of the year that aren't huge tentpole names.

SirGregMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SirGregMac

@humanity: I'm not saying that any of those games would be in contention for GOTY directly, though some might be in the running for day 1-4 stuff. Also they'd all probably get their own QL any other time of year, except Subnautica unless it's significantly different than PC, though I'm guessing PUBG might get a QL just cuz it's a pretty big release almost exactly a year after the PC 1.0 and Xb1 release.

My main point was mainly that Smash, a major Nintendo release, and JC4, a major Square Enix release, aren't steam indie releases being covered for the sake of producing enough videos in a given week. Don't get me wrong, out of all the games mentioned the only ones I'll play in the next few months are Parkitect, as I bought it a year or so ago, and Katamari Damacy Reroll, as I love the original and getting it on Switch will basically allow my kids to experience it like it's new.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’d be happy for folks to tag in and out based on passion for a category.

GOTY would still be a fustercluck, though.

Other content around GOTY, give me some pairings I don’t often get. I understand the big, happy family approach, but it is a lot to digest.