Continuously losing interest in Giantbomb due to lack of focus / quick looks

• 109 results
Lumbermancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm here for the random games, full playthroughs and upfs myself. Quicklooks are of least importance. Anime is not at all.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still mostly like what the site puts out, but there's definitely a stale feeling to some of it. Which is probably inevitable when you've got the same core people doing the same job for a decade.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Don't be afraid to throw out features that might not be working anymore - even sacred cows like UPF. If the guys presenting the feature are bored, the audience is going to be bored.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is the summer dump zone, not much coming out

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By monetarydread

Just my 2 cents. I would love to see more quick-looks on the site, but what I really want is to see more variety in who appears in GB West videos. Take quick looks as an example, typically there are two people on a quick-look and I have noticed that almost every QL is Ben + someone else, and that setup has become tiring to me.

Edit: i was just doing a more thorough read of this thread and I think that @Nightriff has summed up my opinions better than I can.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Meh? If you don't like current content, bring it up. If that doesn't help, stop paying for a subscription. If nothing changes, move on. Sometimes I think I'm just fatigued of the crew and their styles. I watch too much at times. I don't like everything they do, there's a good chunk I don't want to engage with. I was super into the idea of them playing XCOM but it's so long and I don't think I'm that interested in the game enough. I'd probably like it atleast somewhat, but they do have enough other content for me to get to.

That said, if I really want giantbomb and there's nothing I care about currently, I'll go hit some old content. It's rare for there to be a long time where I'm not excited for something they're doing or coming up. Example, they've got fucking god hand on the schedule in a couple of days. I want to play that but I'm a little afraid of the difficulty but I -want to know-. I might get to see that game now and I'm looking forward to it.

I can't imagine it's easy to do quick looks when it takes a long time to find a game, atleast try it out some, put it on a schedule, record it and do the bit of encoding/editing they need to when they already have a lot of pre-planned stuff on the schedule. You might not like all the pre-planned stuff going on, I get it, but there are only so many of them to try games and so many producers to make the content.

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say, Giant Bomb wests formula has felt very on the rails, the only thing that has stuck out to me this year was the Breaking Brad Mario feature which was amazing. it felt like something I could pull up for anyone somewhat familiar with video games to enjoy with me at any moment. I just feel like there is a whole bunch of cool ideas they could do given their studio and they just keep doing the safe stuff. There is a whole bunch of dumb fun wii games they could tap into that would make fun features, a bunch of random shitty ass steam games that would make for good shitty game Saturday feature, maybe even a Ben and Brad watch jeff play dota for the first time while telling him nothing. I don't even like dota and that shit sounds hilarious, like man the more I type this stuff, the more I feel like I sound as an angry investor or something but where is the experimentation. Maybe they just don't got the money to risk anything right now and I'm fine with what they put out currently but I want them to be as creative as I know they are capable of.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I don't really know what I want from GB these days. Sometimes I think they've lost "it" but sometimes I think it's just me.

Atm I like ASG, the Garfield stuff was good, and the Bombcast/Beastcast still can be good.

I don't think the solution is more this type of content or that type of content 'cause at the end of the day it's more of the same. I don't envy their position 'cause it doesn't work if they aren't honest to god excited and that's hard to fake. If I think about how many things I genuniely get excited about in a given year, it's not a lot.

If I was in charge, I would throw out most of the features, audio and video. They, the personnel, are the special sauce and I think they're at their best when they're trying to figure shit out. Yeah, what they've been doing worked for a long time and I guess is still working but I just don't sense the joy in what their doing. Again, it could be just on me, I could just have gotten tired of it. I just wish I wasn't. I want to keep coming back to the site but with the current state of the site, I see myself drifting away.

I don't expect any of what I said to happen, that would be crazy. Plus, Jeff's said pretty much every year they're growing so I assume he, and by extension the staff, is happy with the site which is cool, you know? I wish them nothing but the best and continued success. They can't possibly try to satisfy any single individual.

draltor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Your post worked! Two new quick looks. I need to go make a post about wanting more endurance runs ...

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@glots said:

Instead, you could suggest those games that you think deserve a QL, unless those are all some bottom of the barrel Steam garbage that I imagine they (or most people) probably don't care about.

Don't you talk about Bequest that way.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

They did more Quick Looks back in the day, yeah. But anyone who's been watching Giant Bomb Infinite will have seen a number of those old Quick Looks by now. And you know what? They did QL's for bad games that they clearly had no interest in actually playing. Not that showing bad games for humor's sake can't have entertainment value, but I'd much rather they do QL's for games they're actually interested in. Now, that ALSO means that some games don't get covered.

I see UPF as a sort of "secondary QL" feature, as they often play games that the site hasn't covered before.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think more old game shows would be fun, specifically shows where the old guard shows the youngsters some games they might not be familiar with.

The points of view could be interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-600fd4c660493
deactivated-600fd4c660493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

I still mostly like what the site puts out, but there's definitely a stale feeling to some of it. Which is probably inevitable when you've got the same core people doing the same job for a decade.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Don't be afraid to throw out features that might not be working anymore - even sacred cows like UPF. If the guys presenting the feature are bored, the audience is going to be bored.

I remember when Dave Lang was on the E3 show, he was asked the best way to present games and he gave some really good tips. His main advice was to be enthusiastic about what you're presenting because your audience isn't going to get excited unless you're excited. It's been a long time since I've felt that same "contagious enthusiasm" from GB. The moments that really shine to me are some of the early quick looks or Vinny, Alex and Austin playing Kerbal or Until Dawn. I rarely see a quick look these days where they are absolutely head over heels for a game. Even the Bombcast is a chore to listen to because it feels like they don't want to be there.

@moderp said:

I will say, Giant Bomb wests formula has felt very on the rails, the only thing that has stuck out to me this year was the Breaking Brad Mario feature which was amazing. it felt like something I could pull up for anyone somewhat familiar with video games to enjoy with me at any moment. I just feel like there is a whole bunch of cool ideas they could do given their studio and they just keep doing the safe stuff. There is a whole bunch of dumb fun wii games they could tap into that would make fun features, a bunch of random shitty ass steam games that would make for good shitty game Saturday feature, maybe even a Ben and Brad watch jeff play dota for the first time while telling him nothing. I don't even like dota and that shit sounds hilarious, like man the more I type this stuff, the more I feel like I sound as an angry investor or something but where is the experimentation. Maybe they just don't got the money to risk anything right now and I'm fine with what they put out currently but I want them to be as creative as I know they are capable of.

Yes! The Breaking Brad Mario feature was probably my favorite from the West this year. It's a great example of a simple feature where everyone is engaged. I also agree about experimentation. The ideas really are endless and there are tons of "no-brainers" they should at least give a shot.