Controlling Your Emotions

Rianor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rianor

Ever since i started playing games, I've ran across games that have really made me angry. Either they seem really unfair because of the difficulty or because the developers didn't iron out their game as much as they should and some game alterering bugs are still in the game. Whenever I run across something in a game that really gets on my nerves and makes me really angry, there is 2 ways i can go about this. One i could try and find out a different way to approach whatever it is in the game that's making me angry and try and find a work around or a different strategy. Or i could let me emotions get the best of me, and I could release my angry by doing several different things. I could scream at the tv, or i could possibly throw my controller. Or if worse comes to worse, i could not think about the outcome and just let my emotions take over and i could destroy my console.

Controlling your emotions while you're playing video games, should be common sense really. Why would you let your emotions take ahold of you and let yourself go to drastic measures just so you could feel better? Just like the cliché saying goes " It's only a game" Why would you let a game make you so incredibly angry you'll throw common sense and self control out the window? Let's say you're playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma on your PS3. You're in a room full of enemy's and you can't beat all of them dieing over and over and over. Unless you have nerves of steel, you're going to eventually get atleast aggravated at the situation that you're in at that point in the game. The question arises again, would you let your aggravated emotions take over or would you let cooler heads prevail and not throw common sense and self control out the window just so you can feel better about your aggravation and/or anger? 

It's imperative that you as a gamer control your emotions during these aggravating times that you'll encounter while you're playing video games, after all it's just a game. So what i'm hoping to accomplish with this thread is 2 things, To remind people to control your emotions while you're playing video games and to not throw common sense and self control out the window just for a few seconds of relief. The other thing I'm wanting to accomplish is to get people's opinions on a few questions, which are below.

•  How do you handle situations where you're at a breaking point when you're really aggravated/angry at a video game?
  •  Have you ever seen anyone throw common sense and self control out the window while gaming and take some drastic measure for that few seconds of relief? If so what happened
  •  Do you think game developers should make their games easier so there won't be any outburst of anger and aggravation when they play their game? Or do you believe that there is no reason to because there are no gamers who act out harshly?
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demilich

Only a gamer knows why it's ok to get angry and frustrated at a Video Game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. What I do think is wrong is telling a gamer not to get upset at a game. You don't tell a woman not to get upset because she has nothing to wear.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine

1. When I start to get aggravated with a game I take a break and come back to that game later. I'm not the type that lets video games make me angry.
2. I always stuck to common sense while playing video games. Some of my friends can get really upset when they lose games though. I beat my friend in a Fifa game and he punched me in the chest.
3. No game developers should not make games easier because people with anger problems can't control them selves.

You talk about screaming at your TV and maybe even breaking your console over losing a game. That is pretty unhealthy.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Clean

1. When I get pissed, I just say fuck it and take a break. I don't really throw the controller around. Used to with the playstation, jaguar, and n64.
2. I usually get pissed when I lose to my friends in madden or halo. But I can not stand screen cheaters who look at your screen like in halo for instance. My brother always fucking does it and finds where I am and kills me. One time I just threw across the room into a couch. We don't play against each other anymore b/c he just cheats all the time.
3. Nope. I like games that are a challenge.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Thrawn1

as long as you don't hurt yourself/anyone, getting angry at a game is fine.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Aaaaaahrgh!

Meh..

Duh!

When I get emotional, I power up Flash and make an emoticon! I suggest you do the same!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Gordon Freeman cannot walk through a door fluidly at all.  That gets me pretty riled up when I'm backpedaling away from Combine jerks and he gets clipped on trim. 

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DualReaver

I once punched my computer desk while playing Call of Duty 4 on veteran. I tore open my knuckles it bled a lot, didn't go well.

Rianor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rianor
Wolverine said:
"

1. When I start to get aggravated with a game I take a break and come back to that game later. I'm not the type that lets video games make me angry.
2. I always stuck to common sense while playing video games. Some of my friends can get really upset when they lose games though. I beat my friend in a Fifa game and he punched me in the chest.
3. No game developers should not make games easier because people with anger problems can't control them selves.

You talk about screaming at your TV and maybe even breaking your console over losing a game. That is pretty unhealthy.

"
I don't do it, I was just talking about it for the sake of the topic.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've never gotten angry at a game. But then, its not often I get angry at anyone/anything.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pirate_republic

I usually don't get angry at games, except for ones that I'm putting my heart and soul into and giving it my best... over and over again. Certain levels on Halo 3 (legendary), and a couple on Call of Duty 4 (veteran) really got me pissed... dying over and over again. I was doing those for achievements, and even though I have a low gs, I still take them seriously. I don't want 1000/1000, but as close as possible.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blu_Magic

If I get really angry I just shut the game off and do something else.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

I kinda twist my ps3 controller while playing COD4 MP :(
i have my days where i kill everyone and when i get kill every second :(

Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cleric
Rianor said:
"

Controlling your emotions while you're playing video games, should be common sense really. Why would you let your emotions take ahold of you and let yourself go to drastic measures just so you could feel better?

"

I think that suppressing those kind of emotions only makes things worse. It's safe to get angry while playing a videogame, but that doesn't necessarily mean that if you do so you don't have any self control or common sense whatsoever. I just spare it for more serious situations in life. When I play, I just feel like letting myself go.

I'm not a controller-tosser anyway. To the questions now:

1) I tend to yell a lot if it's daytime. Then I turn the console off and do other stuff.

2) Yeah. A friend of mine literally smashed his wireless controller to pieces on the floor, just because I handed him his ass in a Pro Evo Soccer game. Hilarious.

3) No, but I'd gladly kick the entire Team Ninja in the nuts. LOL.