• 159 results
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Red12b

I’d like to gauge the community’s interest in getting poster’s of this stupid picture an instant warning,

It holds no discussion value other than the person posting it looking like a dick, a forum is a place for discussion, or at least that is what I have been told by the very mod’s who moderate these forums.

I don't want GB to go down the road of extra enforcement, But acknowledgement and understanding of a problem is vital in order to change perceptions, I gave this topic that title to get it noticed, I also gave it that title to pin point one small problem and then broaden the discussion out to talk about how the forums are in general, in the open, and with the inclusion of everyone.        

EDIT: 
Here's the thing right, And I am betting that I am not the only one who feels this way, My enjoyment of GB is getting less and less, and by no means do I think I am special because I have been a member of GB for a while, I am just a grain of sand in the workings of this fantastic website, but I have a voice, and I am using it to say, I don't like this issue, I don't like the fact that we have quests asking users to spam running contrary with the forum guide that our community mods have drawn up, I don't like that people I used to converse with have gone because they don't like the condition that the forums have become, I don't like the fact that the vocal minority of troll posters ruin the experience of a majority of duders who love this site as much as I do,  

I do not accept that with rising popularity Giant Bomb should lose it's charm, and I am not going to sit on the sidelines and let it get worse,  

A time has come where we should get this forum back to it's former glory,  

I do not accept that I have to turn off Off-topic to enjoy the forums, what if I want to discuss something off topic?      

And this is not just about this one thing, This is an all encompassing issue, I created the topic title as such so that I could supply a problem and give a solution so it didn't sound like baseless complaining,  

Whether we acknowledge it or not, Or whether we give it much credit or not, there is a problem, and I believe that as a community we can address it.     

I don't like having shit being sorted out behind closed doors, Things should be discussed in an open environment with input by the people who use the site,     

As Jeff put it back at Giant Bomb's launch on July 21st 2008, "It's a website about video games!". Let's try and keep it that way.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I was actually just thinking yesterday that anyone who creates a blatant troll or spam topic such as "I'm new" or whatever, should get a one day ban or something. Then again I was maybe a little bitter at the time. But yeah, I think spammers and trolls should be cracked down on a bit harder in general. It's been a crap shoot as of late.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

You should also warn the people who make really small threads like "I eated a donut. That is all".

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat
@Axxol:  But it is also usually a response to those threads, and The Beast made a thread asking people ot stop responding to spam topics, so in those cases 'Cool Story Bro' is doubly wrong.
CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

I think it should get a warning, or a one day ban. It can get really annoying.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eminenssi

I'm with OP, "Cool story bro" is definitely one of the more annoying derivates from 4chan, an annoying meme celebrating ignorantism. 

Granted posting it can be fairly humorous in a few rare case, but in general I think it feeds inconsiderate postings and can easily lead to derailing if too many "bros" end up laughing at it. I wouldn't shed a tear if I wouldn't see this meme around in GB forums anymore.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Hamst3r

Sakujo. 
Sakujo. 
Sakujo.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster
@AlisterCat said:
" @Axxol:  But it is also usually a response to those threads, and The Beast made a thread asking people ot stop responding to spam topics, so in those cases 'Cool Story Bro' is doubly wrong. "
Yes, I'm aware of The Beast's thread. Either way, they're both wrong and should end.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lemoncookie01

But I like using my Jeff Cool story bro pic D:

Walheimat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Walheimat

I think this forum is deliberately a little too juvenile to urge people to drop a habit so immediately satisfying. How many people would be left after we got rid of those who find disrupting conversations genuinely funny? There are few other ways to allow ultimately profitable stupidity to thrive next to turning a blind eye to its ugly manifestations. Remember: this site is ad-based. We need the stupid people to buy things they don't need from the little money we didn't take away from them.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Cube

Honestly, if you're going to tell someone they live alone and have no friends, you must be the opposite, yeah? So why care enough to complain about something on the internet? After all, you have real life friends, right...brah? 

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By matthew

One thing I've noticed about people getting all in a rise about the forums is that most of the problems seems to come from the Off Topic section of the underworld. 

Off Topic is one of the forums I have blocked off.  So much like those from outside of the states who don't get the whole deal with people complaining about ads, I don't really get the deal about people complaining about pointless threads.  Just learn how to choose which threads to enter, and you should be all hunky dory.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Parrots can't speak for themselves, they let pictures do it for them. Last generation these fools were going "do I make you randy baby". Fucking mindless.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ignor

Every 'Cool Story Bro' I see, I must flag.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Red12b
@Cube 

Well done, no, really, well done, Fucking fantastic,  

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Walheimat said:
" . How many people would be left after we got rid of those who find disrupting conversations genuinely funny? "  
A good handful. A very good and refreshing handful. I remember back in the day when Giant Bomb was so small that we didn't have these problems. With great power comes great trolls.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
@Red12b said:
" @Cube  Well done, no, really, well done, Fucking fantastic,    "
He showed the OP. I bet he's nudging elbows with nobody right now after a jab like that.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

I've posted my share of "Cool Story Bro" comments. They all turned out to be a complete waste of time and it made me look like a fucktard. 

It sucks that I've just realized that.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cube
@ryanwho said:
" @Red12b said:
" @Cube  Well done, no, really, well done, Fucking fantastic,    "
He showed the OP. I bet he's nudging elbows with nobody right now after a jab like that. "
Do I make you randy, baby?
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArchScabby

I can't believe you made a thread to complain about this...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Red12b

Here's the thing right, And I am betting that I am not the only one who feels this way, My enjoyment of GB is getting less and less, and by no means do I think I am special because I have been a member of GB for a while, I am just a grain of sand in the workings of this fantastic website, but I have a voice, and I am using it to say, I don't like this issue, I don't like the fact that we have quests asking users to spam running contrary with the forum guide that our community mods have drawn up, I don't like that people I used to converse with have gone because they don't like the condition that the forums have become, I don't like the fact that the vocal minority of troll posters ruin the experience of a majority of duders who love this site as much as I do,  

I do not accept that with rising popularity Giant Bomb should lose it's charm, and I am not going to sit on the sidelines and let it get worse,  

I do not accept that I have to turn off Off-topic to enjoy the forums, what if I want to discuss something off topic? 

Fuck this shit, I am going home,  

(At work ahh isn't the internet glorious?)

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phrosnite

Yeah, "Cool story bro" is pissing me off now. But that shows how stupid the internet is.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cube
@Red12b: Or I mean, you could just report spam, and not be all dramatic over a website. 
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Red12b said:

"    

Here's the thing right, And I am betting that I am not the only one who feels this way, My enjoyment of GB is getting less and less, and by no means do I think I am special because I have been a member of GB for a while, I am just a grain of sand in the workings of this fantastic website, but I have a voice, and I am using it to say, I don't like this issue, I don't like the fact that we have quests asking users to spam running contrary with the forum guide that our community mods have drawn up, I don't like that people I used to converse with have gone because they don't like the condition that the forums have become, I don't like the fact that the vocal minority of troll posters ruin the experience of a majority of good duders who love this site as much as I do,  

Fuck this shit, I am going home,  

(At work ahh isn't the internet glorious?)

"
You LITERALLY used one sentence ending punctuation mark in this entire post. I bow to you: King of the run-ons.  :P
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By matthew
@Red12b: Then you hold your breath and take the plunge into that topic of offness.  I've been checking it the past couple days cuz I've been bored out of my mind, and yea, I can see where you're thoughts of 'our boards are going to ruin' are coming from.  If off topic was all there was to this site, I can say I wouldn't be posting/reading anywhere near as much as I do now.  Yea, it sucks that a few of our really awesome members who have been with this site all along decided to bounce.  They were cool, but had just had enough.  Me, it takes allllooootttt to get through to me.  If I allow some douchebag posting pointless pictures in a forum to irk me, I know it's just time to get away from the innuhnet and go toss the frisbee or swim some laps.  Thick skin bruddah.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#26  Edited By Jazz

I think people who post crap that deserves a 'cool story bro' picture should get a warning.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By ThePickle

"Cool story bro" died for me when Leigh used it on the e3 Bombcast. 

cardician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By cardician
@Cube:  That picture is without a doubt one of the best things I've ever seen. Nice job, thanks for posting it. I know it may piss some people off but I think it's awesome and will make it part of my repertoire.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Personally, I think anyone who posts any internet meme should be instantly banned.

@ryanwho said:

" Parrots can't speak for themselves, they let pictures do it for them. Last generation these fools were going "do I make you randy baby". Fucking mindless. "

Well said.
hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hero_swe

I raise you one quarter intellect.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Red12b

@Matthew

I live in New Zealand, I could kick your arse in a game of Rugby,

I'm actually a pretty athletic dude, it's just I am on Night shift so I have fuck all to do between the hours of 10 PM and 4 am so I am on the net,

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jazz

So you're okay with people posting crap about their 'relationships' and other posters being complete dicks to each other but the 'cool story bro' is just a step too far? 
You have an interesting way of looking at things. I've been here since we had the tagline 'blowing up this summer' and apart from the quests system letting loose some craziness, nothing much has changed...there's just more of it. Calm down, take a breath and learn to live with other people.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Dude, don't make us Kiwis look dumb by making these silly whiny threads. :(

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jazz
@sodiumCyclops:
Well, at least Flight of the Conchords are still awesome
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By c1337us

I don't know. Cool Story Bro has a time and a place I think. But it certainly gets more of a work out then I'd like, sames as the "Whats going on in this thread - Awh shit one."

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By matthew
@Red12b: I live in Nevada.  I could drown you before you even get close to me in Water Polo. 
School is about to start up again, so that means the Polo club is going to be getting underway again.  I broke a dudes nose last semester, but he totally deserved it.   

But I think we're gonna have to settle this over a game of ping pong...
tankx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tankx
@Cube:  LOL, for some reason that picture got me.
droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By droop
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaptainObvious
@Hero_Swe: I see it and raise you a communist. 

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@CaptainObvious: 
I raise you a star wars. 
I raise you a star wars. 
I use Cool Story Bro pics when people rant about little things unrelated to games. By little things I mean things like post arriving late. One I did today was at someone who was pissed off that a TV show they like doesn't get high ratings. 

People who get pissed off on the internet are taking it too seriously, especially on a site like this.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Ignor said:
"  Every 'Cool Story Bro' I see, I must flag. "
flagged
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Karl_Boss

Also to the OP why so serious?....this is the fucking internet man get over it I'm sure you'll still sleep well at night.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By trophyhunter

anyone that post that picture should be banned.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@CaptainObvious: Fuck me, I was gonna do that. All of the other ones are shit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @Ignor said:
"  Every 'Cool Story Bro' I see, I must flag. "
flagged "
*followed*
Lucavi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lucavi

No Caption Provided
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cookiemonster

uh-oh, looks like this thread is spiralling into hella load of dumb. 
But I agree with the OP, give out bans to people that abuse the quest system by posting pointless threads and blogs, and I think warnings should be sent out to constant meme posters. 

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Djeffers03

It's a picture... On the internet. It has a time and a place. When it's used correctly it's very funny and if not you look like a bellend which is enough of a punishment.

I hope this doesn't turn into another Linkyshinks exit with all the Edrama.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RVonE

Does this community really need more (enforcing of) rules? Come on.