Could EA be making Kotor 3?

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ghostin

Considering the recent Disney buisness, Star Wars is going to be a big deal again in about 3/4 years... the perfect length of time to create something half decent game wise. Does anyone think EA and Disney might be negotiating a new singleplayer Kotor right now?

It makes sense for EA, it would go a long way to reinvigorating a company (Bioware) they payed a lot of money for, regain some goodwill... and more importantly cash in on the movie hype.

Given Disney's game ambitions, they must be looking at Star Wars and eyeing up Kotor and X-Wing vs Tie fighter as what were considered high points and looking to revive or replicate them? Disney get to tap a still reasonably well regarded name in games for the tie in, with considerable knowledge of the franchise and a built in assumption of quality not qenerally associated with a Star Wars game.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By maddman60620

There's also the Star Wars 1313 game too, I think that they might try for something but I personally hope that Bioware or whats left of it would go for a Jade Empire 2 type game. Old Republic had some great story in there if it wasn't for the MMO gameplay that could've been Kotor 3

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Will1Lucky

Disney make their own games you know, I don't think Disney will be handing those rights over anytime soon.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ghostin

@Will1Lucky: I agree with you, they would never give up the rights. But for a one or two game deal, this makes a lot of sense for both parties.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bwheeeler

I don't think that would happen until after The Old Republic is long gone.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

For all we know Disney is planning to abandon all of the "KOTOR era" stuff.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deathbyyeti

no

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

No.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Zuldim

They did, it's called "The Old Republic". Like it or not, SWTOR is probably the only continuation of the KOTOR era we'll see any time soon. Revan pops up in it, and if you want more of a resolution about where Revan went during KOTOR2, you'll need to read the "Star Wars: The Old Republic - Revan" book.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rattle618

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your wishful thinking (your wish is also my own), but Im afraid I dont see it happening.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By labman

God, I wish!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn

Because EA messing with the classic and not so classic BioWare franchises has proven great so far.

God, no.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By rpgee

@Zuldim said:

Revan pops up in it, and if you want more of a resolution about where Revan went during KOTOR2, you'll need to read the "Star Wars: The Old Republic - Revan" book.

That's damn annoying, then. I don't think I'd even want to, there's no way that it can live up to my imagination.

And no, not since Disney have the rights to all Star Wars stuff. It sounds like they don't consider that stuff canon anyway. Perhaps for the better; the two KOTOR games are some of the best games ever made, and I'd hate to see them try and top it, only to fall flat.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funkydupe

I really hope they make more KOTOR games.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Levius

I would rather Bioware make a clean break now, they just have too much baggage with their back catalogue. Can you really see Bioware in their current state living up to the eight years of hype for KOTOR 3. They need a new game that won't have tonnes of their fans berating it for not being what they want it to be.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By crusader8463

I would rather Obsidian get to work on KOTOR 3 then EA. Every franchise I ever loved has been destroyed when EA got their hands on it and tried to make a new game in the series.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@RPGee said:

That's damn annoying, then. I don't think I'd even want to, there's no way that it can live up to my imagination.

And no, not since Disney have the rights to all Star Wars stuff. It sounds like they don't consider that stuff canon anyway. Perhaps for the better; the two KOTOR games are some of the best games ever made, and I'd hate to see them try and top it, only to fall flat.

They're ignoring the EU for the movies (which is a good thing) but they're not going to completely stop releasing books or games that take place during those periods and I imagine LucasArts will continue to operate much like they always have (i.e. if they want to make a KotOR 3, they will). It's possible they will, but EA don't own the Old Republic timeline/IP in any way, Disney/LucasArts could put any studio they wanted to work on a sequel.

The only reason to co-operate with EA would be to have Bioware develop it and how much weight does their name carry these days? I think it's more likely we'd see them do a completely new RPG series that takes place in the same time line as the new movies.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Red12b

@Will1Lucky said:

Disney make their own games you know, I don't think Disney will be handing those rights over anytime soon.

they've said only in the mobile arena

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fearbeard

I doubt it. Most likely we'll see some crappy licensed game for the movie and little else. Hopefully 1313 doesn't get canned.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zuldim

@RPGee said:

@Zuldim said:

Revan pops up in it, and if you want more of a resolution about where Revan went during KOTOR2, you'll need to read the "Star Wars: The Old Republic - Revan" book.

Yeah, I read the book and... It's OK. The main focus of the book isn't even on Revan, it's on a Sith named Lord Scourge. The stuff with him isn't terrible, he's a decently interesting character, but it kind of feels like padding, since what most people read the book for was pretty obviously the Revan stuff. Plus, a lot of the book felt like it was trying to justify game mechanics of the actual game with lore reasons (Ex: Scourge gets more powerful as he fights, by getting angry, JUST LIKE THE REAL SITH WARRIOR CLASS IN THE GAME BUILDS RAGE BY FIGHTING TO EXECUTE ATTACKS! Isn't that great?! Doesn't that make you want to buy the game?!) which made portions of it feel like a sale pitch.

But yeah, it's kind of lame.

Basically, Revan goes to look for whatever he and Malek found before coming back and starting the war, and he tracks where they went (there's a detour where he goes and helps Canderous get the Mandalore's helmet to become the new Mandalore) to a planet that turns out to be the homeworld of the Sith Emperor from SWTOR, who originally captured him and Malek there, and used his special force powers to change their loyalties to him. It turns out the Sith Emperor used a secret force ritual to literally channel all of the force from every living creature on the planet into him, killing everyone on the planet, and making it an uninhabitable rock, but making him insanely powerful. As soon as he gets there, Lord Scourge, who just happens to be going to this secret planet the Sith Emperor wiped from all Sith Empire records at the exact same time Revan was, investigating what the Emperor did, captures him, and takes him back to Dromund Kaas, the Sith Empire's capital world. Scourge holds Revan there for like, two years (I'm writing this from memory, so I might be fuzzy on a few details), which is when the events of KOTOR2 take place, before Meetra Surik, the Jedi Exile from KOTOR2 goes looking for him. She tracks down the Emperor's home planet, and somehow manages to track down Dromund Kaas too. She goes there, meets Scourge (somehow) and the three of them, Scourge, Revan, and Meetra (also, T3-M4, who was there when Revan got captured, made his way back to help Meetra find Revan, and is now there) make a plan to kill the Emperor. They execute it, but everything goes wrong immediately. The Emperor promptly kills Meetra, destroys T3-M4, and Scourge betrays Revan and knocks him unconscious. The Emperor then makes Lord Scourge immortal for his "reward", but this involves being continually in agonizing pain. (Scourge pops up as one of the companions of the Jedi Knight in SWTOR, but I haven't gotten that far on a Knight, so I don't know how his storyline is continued).

The book ends with Revan being in a prison that keeps him in a sort of stasis indefinitely, but also makes him fully conscious. The Emperor keeps him alive so he can milk the Republic's secrets out of him, preparing for an eventual attack on them. Meetra is a force ghost, who keeps him company for the next 300 or so years.
Then in SWTOR, Meetra finally manages to communicate with the Republic, telling them about the Maelstrom Prison, where Revan is being held. It's a flashpoint, and a group goes in there, and frees Revan. Revan rebuilds/finds HK-47, and creates "The Foundry", to help the Republic. The Empire then gets a series of flashpoints where they go there, fight and destroy HK-47, and eventually "kill" Revan, although he merely disappears at the end, Obi-Wan style, so he might show up again eventually. So yeah. They reduce Revan to a mid-level dungeon boss. Great, right? (Again, I might be a bit fuzzy on some details here.)

The treatment they gave Revan with The Old Republic game is not great, it's really kind of shameful.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghostin

@Fearbeard: Yeah, I hope 1313 arrives and delivers too.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rpgee

@WinterSnowblind said:

They're ignoring the EU for the movies (which is a good thing) but they're not going to completely stop releasing books or games that take place during those periods and I imagine LucasArts will continue to operate much like they always have (i.e. if they want to make a KotOR 3, they will). It's possible they will, but EA don't own the Old Republic timeline/IP in any way, Disney/LucasArts could put any studio they wanted to work on a sequel.

The only reason to co-operate with EA would be to have Bioware develop it and how much weight does their name carry these days? I think it's more likely we'd see them do a completely new RPG series that takes place in the same time line as the new movies.

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that, I was under the impression Disney had gotten that whole hog. Regardless, though, it's not going to happen. Like you say, they'd probably a new series, and "Knights of the Republic" will be a game I do not play out of protest, and also because it could never possibly be as good as a KOTOR game.

But then again, neither would (or is, if you prefer) a modern KOTOR game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By breadfan

But we already got Knights of the Old Republic 3-9, guys!

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By Little_Socrates

Could they? I mean, I guess so? But there's absolutely no evidence to suggest they are, so I'm not exactly willing to get excited about it yet.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rpgee

@Zuldim:

So they did all the things I knew was inevitable, but was hoping wouldn't turn up. They also made a "canon" for the games, which was one of the best things about the second (no-one knew what the hell had happened, or who Revan even was, really.)

Perfect. Just perfect. I now can't read this, because I would tear the book apart in anger and frustration.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zuldim

@RPGee said:

@Zuldim:

So they did all the things I knew was inevitable, but was hoping wouldn't turn up. They also made a "canon" for the games, which was one of the best things about the second (no-one knew what the hell had happened, or who Revan even was, really.)

Perfect. Just perfect. I now can't read this, because I would tear the book apart in anger and frustration.

Yeah. The best part is when you realize that they made it canon that the Exile was female, and traveled with the Handmaiden. In other words, it is literally impossible to play the canonical version of the second game (without mods)!

Like I said, the book isn't terrible on it's own merit, it's a decent read, and it has some interesting moments (I think the way the Emperor got his power is actually really neat, and a cool idea) but the things they did to Revan were shameful, and it was all very transparently for the sake of making the big bad of SWTOR look... Bigger, and... Badder. Plus, it makes Revan's appearance in SWTOR not make any sense unless you read the books. IIRC, it doesn't even tell you that the questgiver of the mission to free Revan is the Jedi Exile, it just calls her "Force Ghost".

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27  Edited By JasonR86

Sure. Anything is possible.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rpgee

@Zuldim said:

The best part is when you realize that they made it canon that the Exile was female, and traveled with the Handmaiden. In other words, it is literally impossible to play the canonical version of the second game (without mods)!

GARGH! What the hell! Why would they do that?

Although this does make me think about how I should play KOTOR2 for the 9th time or something. Hmm...

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By devise22

While the fanboy in me would love to see it, the group still left at Bioware needs to work on something original.

Bioware however is too talented at dialogue choices and story and all that jazz to just give up on making games. I hope that doesn't happen. We know that another Dragon Age likely is coming but I'd also love to see another RPG from them. Maybe mix it with some genres like they did with Mass Effect and give us something awesome.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zuldim

@RPGee said:

@Zuldim said:

The best part is when you realize that they made it canon that the Exile was female, and traveled with the Handmaiden. In other words, it is literally impossible to play the canonical version of the second game (without mods)!

GARGH! What the hell! Why would they do that?

Although this does make me think about how I should play KOTOR2 for the 9th time or something. Hmm...

I'm guessing because the Handmaiden was the more popular companion (rightfully so, she was the more interesting one), and because they wanted it to be canon that the Exile was female, because Revan was canonically male, so diversity and all that. I have a feeling that was more misguided than anything.

Also, I just re-bought KOTOR2 on Steam, specifically so I can do a replay of it with the cut content restoration mod, so the ending is... You know... Coherent. The fact that the ending basically broke for me, and was completely incomprehensible (it literally bugged out so bad it was playing the wrong version of the cutscenes, not the ones based on my playthrough thus far) really effected my opinion of that game. A shame too, since it seemed even better than the first (which I adore), up until the third act.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By triviaman09

I wish more than anything that this were possible, but it's not.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zuldim

@Devise22 said:

While the fanboy in me would love to see it, the group still left at Bioware needs to work on something original.

Bioware however is too talented at dialogue choices and story and all that jazz to just give up on making games. I hope that doesn't happen. We know that another Dragon Age likely is coming but I'd also love to see another RPG from them. Maybe mix it with some genres like they did with Mass Effect and give us something awesome.

IIRC, We know their B-teams are working on the new Dragon Age and Mass Effect, so hopefully the main guys are hard at work with a new franchise.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BisonHero
@Red12b

@Will1Lucky said:

they've said only in the mobile arena

Yeah, Disney specifically said they aren't really making console games internally anymore (I guess Johnny V's Tron game didn't do so hot), and that they will be licensing out the rights to external developers for stuff like Star Wars console games.
rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rpgee

@Zuldim:

True, true, Handmaiden was much more interesting, plus was a better party member overall, but still, there's such a thing as sticking to the guns. The other dude was alright, even though I can't even remember his name right now. It also makes no sense for me, since I chose female Revan and male Exile. It'd be like an existential crisis for me to read.

And definitely do play it again. Maybe this is just my bias, since I played the second first, but SW:KOTOR2 is my favourite game ever. I have played it way too many times, and love every bit of it except for the very lacklustre ending. So it's a pity the whole thing broke for you, but the ending wasn't a big miss, considering that huge swathes of content for it was cut and so the base version feels really disjointed.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Breadfan: hey some of the class stories in the game are pretty good

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zuldim

@RPGee said:

@Zuldim:

True, true, Handmaiden was much more interesting, plus was a better party member overall, but still, there's such a thing as sticking to the guns. The other dude was alright, even though I can't even remember his name right now. It also makes no sense for me, since I chose female Revan and male Exile. It'd be like an existential crisis for me to read.

And definitely do play it again. Maybe this is just my bias, since I played the second first, but SW:KOTOR2 is my favourite game ever. I have played it way too many times, and love every bit of it except for the very lacklustre ending. So it's a pity the whole thing broke for you, but the ending wasn't a big miss, considering that huge swathes of content for it was cut and so the base version feels really disjointed.

Yeah, I totally agree they should have stuck to their guns. I don't even like the fact that they show us what Revan looks like in SWTOR (unmasked and everything, it's super jarring), let alone the fact that they give us a resolution to his story, especially such a crappy one. Part of the reason SWTOR should have worked was because it was still set in the Old Republic era, but long enough after KOTOR that the events of it were a distant memory. They should have had it remain a distant memory. Stick in stuff like the Revanite quest chain (a cult that worships Revan), and leave that there as a reference. Have people mention Revan, but have him/her still be shrouded in mystery. Even keep HK-47 in as a boss working for the Sith Emperor, and let the player fill in the blanks on how he got there.

If they hadn't stuck Revan in it, or even any of the character in it, and made it a completely separate game, set in the same universe, in a close time period, the game would have been much better off for it, and we could have gotten a better resolution to Revan's story. Heck, maybe we even could have got a Co-Op game where one play plays their own Revan, and the other one plays their own Exile. Wouldn't that be great? Wouldn't that have been so much more interesting than the resolution we got? Yeah, it would have been. Instead we got SWTOR, a very, very good MMO (in my opinion), with the best story of any MMO out there, but still not of as high quality as the single-player Bioware RPG's. Bah.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rpgee

@Zuldim:

That would conceptually be pretty great. It kind of reminds me of what the Fable 2 co-op looked like, where you could bring in your own character, instead of it being a template character you brought in. But yeah, your own Revan and Exile (who is not named) together would be amazing.

Alright, maybe if EA was able to convince Peter Molyneux to come on board for KOTOR 3, then I'd be excited for what would turn up. Could you imagine how weird it would get?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By breadfan

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Breadfan: hey some of the class stories in the game are pretty good

I agree, but after all the time and money it took to make The Old Republic I doubt EA or Bioware will take another shot with the universe for a long while.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iceman228433

They really should be, a new game would make a lot of money for them.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zuldim

@RPGee said:

@Zuldim:

That would conceptually be pretty great. It kind of reminds me of what the Fable 2 co-op looked like, where you could bring in your own character, instead of it being a template character you brought in. But yeah, your own Revan and Exile (who is not named) together would be amazing.

Alright, maybe if EA was able to convince Peter Molyneux to come on board for KOTOR 3, then I'd be excited for what would turn up. Could you imagine how weird it would get?

Oh man... I want that. Can we make that happen? I want that.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rpgee

@Zuldim:

Then again, he's all tied up at 22 Cans. We'll just get Peter Molydeux, it'll be exactly the same.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kerned

I could totally see EA/Bioware working on KOTOR 3, but why would EA give a shit about making a good KOTOR 3? It will sell regardless.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zuldim

@RPGee said:

@Zuldim:

Then again, he's all tied up at 22 Cans. We'll just get Peter Molydeux, it'll be exactly the same.

It'll be better.

Imagine a game where your lightsabers are powered by emotion, and our protagonist can't get his to ignite.

Imagine that your ship was alive, and every time you take it out into space, you're suffocating it.

Imagine that you don't use the force, you are the force.

Now pull the arrow out of the Tauntaun. Watch the emotion in it's eyes. Feel the connection with that Tauntaun.

Edit: OH MAN! What if KOTOR3 is what's inside the cube?!

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By rpgee

@Zuldim:

Then I never want that secret to be revealed, because it still wouldn't live up to my imagination.

Unless I'm the one who opens the cube. In which case: it's all mine.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zuldim

@RPGee:

Would you call a good, third KOTOR game a "life changing secret"? I think I would.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Releasing Episode 1 Racer as a downloadable title would really be the larger decision on their hands.