Cover based third person shooters

dpakrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dpakrr

Hi, I have recently developed a liking for third person shooters with a cover system, after playing games like Mafia II, Uncharted series and GTA IV. I was wondering if you guys could suggest some more good third person shooters with a cover system for the PS3?

I dont mind if it doesnt have a multiplayer, as long as its fun. I loved Mafia II and the first Uncharted and as you know, they dont have multiplayer.

Thanks
 (PS: I had a look at the website's cover system page and am unsure about those game)
(

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@dpakrr said:
 (PS: I had a look at the website's cover system page and am unsure about those game)(  "
dude wtf?
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Vanquish looks like a very good recent cover-based third-person shooter. Also, while it won't hit until about January 2011 for the PS3, although Mass Effect 2 is primarily an RPG, all the combat in that game is third-person cover-based shooting. Read Dead Redemption is another must-buy that features the same kind of combat.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Mass Effect 2 is coming soon enough, which also features lots of cover based shooting but I wouldn't call that a salespoint. Its more about the amazing story and freedom of choice etc...

I hear Quantum Theory is decent, some kind of Gears of War clone, might wanna give that a rent (or download the demo).

dpakrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dpakrr

I meant Jeff's list of 10 cover system games. Most of them were not for the PS3 and the ones which were, like, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. I am unsure about them. Could you recommend some for the PS3?  @hedfone said:

" @dpakrr said:
 (PS: I had a look at the website's cover system page and am unsure about those game)(  "
dude wtf? "

dpakrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dpakrr
thanks guys. will check out vanquish. yeh i was unsure about mass effect 2 because im not a fan of rpgs but if its got lots of tps with cover system, i'll definitely check it out.  ive got red dead and yes its awesome.

@Gamer_152 said:
" Vanquish looks like a very good recent cover-based third-person shooter. Also, while it won't hit until about January 2011 for the PS3, although Mass Effect 2 is primarily an RPG, all the combat in that game is third-person cover-based shooting. Read Dead Redemption is another must-buy that features the same kind of combat. "
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Mass Effect 2 is coming soon enough, which also features lots of cover based shooting but I wouldn't call that a salespoint. Its more about the amazing story and freedom of choice etc...  I hear

Quantum Theory is decent, some kind of Gears of War clone, might wanna give that a rent (or download the demo). "

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
@dpakrr: 
Make no mistake, there's also lots of town hopping, questing and what not, but most involve tps cover shoot outs.
Again, check a demo or something beforehand!
dpakrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dpakrr
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @dpakrr:  Make no mistake, there's also lots of town hopping, questing and what not, but most involve tps cover shoot outs. Again, check a demo or something beforehand! "
hmm, I tried to get into Fallout: New Vegas but there was just too much to do in it and it was too complex. i know thats supposed to be a positive and good thing but rpgs are just not for me i guess. but mass effect 2 really appeals to me. and doesnt look quite as complex. i will check it out. thanks!
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Fudgeblood
@dpakrr: You thought Fallout: New Vegas was too complex? :|  Anyway, you might like Red Dead: Redemption. It's very similar to GTA: IV (It's made my the same people) except it has a Wild West theme, though due to the lack of a huge towering city there isn't quite as much cover, atleast not in my experience.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Mass effect 2, gears of war games

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Skald
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

RDR, Mass Effect, GTA and Uncharted aren't really cover based shooters, but they do incorporate those mechanics and are all really amazing games.

There's also Army of Two.  It's no Gears of War, but still a bit of fun if you have a friend to play through with.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael

Vanquish is really the only outstanding cover shooter on the Playstation 3. All the others are just sloppy clones of Gears of War (which you have to play if you get the opportunity).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Mass effect 2, gears of war games

"
He did say PS3. 

Saying that, when I saw this thread title I thought Gears of War... Apart from that and mass effect I can't think of anything else you haven't already played for the PS3 that is out now.
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eric_buck

Definitely Vanquish 

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By mau64

Definitely try out the Mass Effect and Gears series. Some people really dig Lost Planet as well.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By damodar

If you've got somebody to play it with, Army of Two: The 40th Day is kinda great. 

Kane and Lynch 2 is also good. 

I think if you were playing a game like Mass Effect 2 for the combat, you're playing it for the wrong reasons.

4D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 4D

Vanquish

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By foggel

You should try ME1 on PC, get an understanding of the story, and get ME2.

Alternatively you could just read the ME1 story.. but yeah your call:P