CPU is idling at 90-100°C

Skyfall4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This all started when I was playing a steam game "Rust", all of a sudden my frames dropped from 100+ to a maximum of 50. I've checked for viruses, & even wiped my computer clean. Then I checked to see if any of my hardware was failing with speccy and saw that my CPU idling temps were ~95°C, so I put new thermal paste on & that didn't fix the problem, and I have a feeling that it has to do with my heatsink, but I'm not sure.

My PC

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly sounds like cooler issue to me. Maybe the heat sink isn't making a solid connection to the CPU. Maybe the pump is broken.

Are you monitoring the health of the water cooling system, or just looking at CPU temps?

bobdude1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I would say your pump is failing or something related to it.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Amazon listing says that it comes with free lifetime tech support. I'd start by calling CyberPower, at least to get the problem on record. But, yeah, it's probably gonna mean replacing the cooler. Thankfully, that won't be hard, especially since you've dealt with thermal paste application already.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yea if the thermal paste didn't do it its the cooler on the cpu.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

If you're using the stock Intel heatsink/fan (and I'm guessing you are because I didn't see any other cooler on the specs) then that's almost assuredly the problem, as those things have a lot of trouble keeping contact with the CPU. It's a flimsy little thing with plastic screws that do just about nothing. I had the same problem you're describing and fixed it by swapping in a proper heat sink - nothing fancy, just something well-made that will stay in place.

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@peezmachine: From looking at the amazon pictures it looks more like a water cooling system to me, so I don't think it's a stock cooler. I've never done a water cooling system but I think the tubes are the give away.

To the OP, if you redid the thermal stuff and it's still hot, it probably is the cooler. Or are you overclocking the CPU with some voltage tweaks? You could try setting the cpu back to default spec if you have it overclocked. Temps definitely too high for idle so at least you've deduced part of the problem.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is hot!! I'd say remove any overclocking, and test the temps without loading the OS (sitting in the bios), to remove the possibility that a process is doing a lot of "processing" in the background

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peezmachine: From looking at the amazon pictures it looks more like a water cooling system to me, so I don't think it's a stock cooler. I've never done a water cooling system but I think the tubes are the give away.

It says "liquid cooling" in the title and the description.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Verify that your pump is connected properly to the power from the mb, try to see if you can hear it running when the system is on as it sounds like you're not getting flow in the AIO loop.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no suggestions or anything, I just thought it would be funny to share my idiot perspective as a dirty American: when I read your thread title in my brain it might as well have been the surface of the Sun.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think your liquid cooler is shot. I won't insult you by asking if the cooler was re-installed correctly, tightened down evenly, plugged into the proper fan header - I will assume you checked that.

The cheapest fix is to see if you can get an inexpensive air cooler in there. A cheap cooler is better that 95+c. With that said a $34 air cooler would be a good replacement with less parts to worry about. Just make sure what clearance in the XYZ you have in the case.