Cyberbullying Overreaction?

OperationIvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OperationIvy

In my high school yesterday, there was an announcement towards the ed of the day, warning us about what students write and post on Facebook.  They had said that there were people who got in trouble over "Cyberbullying" but did not explain who, or what the problem was, but that it was just over Facebook.  Since my school is relatively small (750ish students) news spreads quick.  When I found out who got in trouble, and what for, my bullshit detector immediately went off.

Ok so, here's the story, best I can put it:  ( I won't really go into specific details though since I don't know how serious the situation is as of now.)

There are 4 people on a sports team who feel as though they are elite members of the team, and even had a name for themselves.  This is actually funny, even though they are only average at best. Oh yeah, and the team is winless.  Anyway, I guess other kids on the team were tired of them feeling as though they were elite and made a Facebook group that was meant to unite the team as a whole, basically saying that the team wasn't just those 4 people, that everybody was a part and that everybody meant something.  The group was called "We are ALL (Elite group name). "

The group's description copied from the page
"this isn't supposed to discriminate its to bring us together we're called a team for a reason. " 

The group consisted of approximately 40 members.  And the comments did not mention any names.  The comments basically said that there shouldn't be cliques on a TEAM.  However, I guess the4 elitists were offended by this and reported it.  The admins of the group are serving some sort of suspension and every member of the group was called down for a talk.

Personally, I think the school just let the real bullies win.  I understand with all the cyberbullying related suicides, that schools are bringing their authority outside of the school now, but I really can't even believe this.  I've been to school with one of these "elitists" my entire life.  She;'s been a bitch the entire time I've known her.  Basically, the rich, spoiled, special privileged, AP student that gets whatever she wants. Now tomorrow, we have to sit through a 2 hour long assembly, telling us that the internet is serious business.  Some people need to stop thinking that they shit ice cream, and fuck off.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Interesting....
Just kidding, I don't really give a poop.

On a semi-related note:
Anyone who cyber-bullies is more pathetic than those who bully normally because they don't have the fucking decency to say it to your face.

On an off-topic note: Reading the word bully in my mind over and over again is making it sound funny.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

i'd be careful, maybe your school will find this post. 

anyways, yeah thats pretty f'ed....yep.

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Dysnomia

Yeah, I don't really understand the big deal with that page.

OperationIvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OperationIvy

It's probably because kids all around the USA get made fun of by people on the internet and kill themselves over it.  I'm not defending constant harassment, but I'm just saying, I've never used a service on the internet that didn't allow me to block someone.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bhhawks78

If when I was in highschool and they ever said anything like this I would start posting the most vile and insane shit short of racism/threats and laugh in their face.  I'm an asshole though.  When push comes to shove you could just not go to that 2 hour meeting and they really couldn't force shit on you.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

cyberbullying is over rated. i would not care if somebody started sending me messages  over the internet. u people can say hi or something to me if u want :) i would enjoy a read.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Romination

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That school overreacted and needs to be shut down

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By animateria

Ah, high school drama shenanigans...

Schools over-react to everything related to themselves, I've seen a guy get in trouble for having a gun on his shirt.... of course this was a Star Wars shirt but the school doesn't care.

Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Don

People who don't understand the Internet are making real-life decisions with the future of the world.
Yup, that's life.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Coombs

I'd sue the school.  
They have no authority outside the walls of the school, And unless the posts were made on a school computer they have no right, Hell even then they have no authority in regards to the internet

Also, This is just plain stupid.
I can't stand all the "pc" bullshit that goes on nowadays

Bos1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Bos1014

Recently a school near were im going to college, amherst, ma. A student there, female killer her self because of the constant bullying she received at school and out of school,  over the internet too i guess. Now the main bullies have been charged and attending court, i don't know the fine details but this is a pretty big story within the community. I personally try to avoid the news and stuff so its been  a while since i looked into developments within this. 

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By deathstriker666

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
That is all.....