• 107 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5835c1f29813e
#1 Edited by deactivated-5835c1f29813e (42 posts) -

Everyone's favorite Irishman has announced his next project after recently leaving GameSpot. He is going to be making video game documentaries through a new channel called Noclip, which will be funded through Patreon support:

Here's the trailer for his new adventure:

Here's Danny's Patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/dannyodwyer

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
#2 Posted by alwaysbebombing (2708 posts) -

Man, he is taking a gamble. Best of luck to him though, I really hope it works out.

#3 Posted by Silver-Streak (1991 posts) -

If this means more of Danny eating ribs and doing weird southernish accents, count me in.

#4 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Personally I would be looking for big documentaries about behind the scene stuff on development (vs lets look at the life of someone who plays games or something). The comparison for 30 for 30 does not work for me that way because those are not short turn around things at all. They spend a long time in production and there is so much craft there. Not to say there isn't with short form stuff but it takes time to do the bigger docs right and to the level 30 for 30 achieves (and a large budget as well).

That type of stuff is what I would be looking for most of all. Not to be a negative nancy in here but just my two cents.

Best of luck to Danny he's a great hard working dude.

#5 Posted by MindBullet (709 posts) -

There's probably something to be said about someone leaving a big site like Gamespot to start a Patreon, but I wish Danny the best of luck. If anyone can pull it off, it's him!

#6 Posted by BojackHorseman (690 posts) -

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really enjoy Danny's videos. Like the latest The Point. I mean, what was the point of that video? Pun intended.

However, anyone and everyone who has ever claimed to be about "ethics in games press" should put their money where their mouths are and fund this thing.

#7 Edited by hankrazorbeard (121 posts) -

I like Danny, but I'm getting sick of Patreon, and the uninspired vidya related titles that are always given to shit like this.

UpUpDownDown, Polygon, 1up and noclip. Haha, get it? I'm a videogame!

#8 Posted by rempresent (187 posts) -

Deftones.

#9 Posted by Ho_Blivion (87 posts) -

ugh, really? His wife must have a good paying job.

#10 Posted by kilroyandy (232 posts) -

I think it's gonna be great, and it's pretty Brave of him to dump his dream job and go it alone. I said to my girlfriend the night we saw him on the e3 live show in his suit being Mr Corporate, that he looked like he had had enough with gamespot!! The spark had gone, and he was looking at the Gbomb guys with that "i need to get out vibe!" @dannyodwyer Good luck!!

#11 Posted by WesternWizard (604 posts) -

ugh, really? His wife must have a good paying job.

I dunno he's already over $4k/month and the Patreon just went up. Obviously that isn't just living expenses as he has to be able to pay camera men for when he needs to be on screen, plus travel expenses etc. Still, at this rate I will not be surprised if he cracks $8k/month or more.

#12 Posted by Dixavd (2901 posts) -

First thing I've ever backed on Patreon: A Result of both my huge trust, respect and faith in Danny... and also my independence in terms of my finances has been increasing a lot in the 3 years since Patreon came out. I'm actually more excited for him than for seeing the stuff myself

Also, I guess I now have to figure out whatever a "Discord Chat" is!

#13 Posted by BojackHorseman (690 posts) -

Out of curiosity, how does Patreon work? Is it just basically a subscription service, or is it a everlasting Kickstarter? Seems risky anyway.

#14 Posted by WesternWizard (604 posts) -

Its a subscription service where every x time/event you pay in. In this case it is a monthly subscription for access to extras around the work (plus a discord chat). Kickstarter isn't quite the right comparison because you are paying money in an ongoing way for ongoing work. Sort of like how you're paying yearly for the extras from Giant Bomb.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
#15 Posted by LonelySpacePanda (683 posts) -

Between this and Vice Gaming, it's good to see documentaries come back to gaming. It was a shame when Polygon stopped doing them. Whatever happened to Area5's Outerlands? Will they ever release it to the public?

#16 Posted by BojackHorseman (690 posts) -

@westernwizard: I see. But you decide how much you want to pay? And you have to pay every month, or whatever timeframe the Patreon has? Can you cancel at any time? I feel like an old man asking young people what cyberspace is.

#17 Posted by koolaid (1432 posts) -

Out of curiosity, how does Patreon work? Is it just basically a subscription service, or is it a everlasting Kickstarter? Seems risky anyway.

Patreon is kinda just like Giant Bomb premium. Support people you like by kicking in a dollar a month, get cool extras and know that they can make better content. I usually just stick in a dollar for people I like instead of going for the rewards.

#18 Posted by guanophobic (587 posts) -

Tried making an account on patreon, but the account pages just wont load for me. Bummer.

#19 Posted by WesternWizard (604 posts) -

@bojackhorseman: Yeah no commitment. You cancel whenever and at that point you stop paying. But yes it is pay every timeframe (some do things like every short story they release to their patreons, for example, or another guy I know of gets paid every time he releases a new podcast episode).

#21 Posted by kasaioni (2397 posts) -

I really liked all the documentaries and doc-like productions Danny did a GS, so I'm not hesitating to support this.

#22 Edited by TheHT (15859 posts) -

Sounds great!

#23 Posted by WynnDuffy (1289 posts) -

Too many shady projects afoot on Patreon but I will check this out when it's out!

#24 Posted by Belegorm (1848 posts) -

Somehow I managed to see his stretch goals before I saw what he's got atm and thought "well that's a lofty goal there most patreons I've seen have been lucky to break 2k.". I then saw he's hit 5k and figured he'll probably do alright for himself. Good luck to him!

#25 Posted by stordoff (1362 posts) -

Chipped in $33.33/month for now. Doubt I'll keep it that high for long, but happy to help @dannyodwyer get this thing up and running.

#26 Posted by Picky_Bugger (241 posts) -

Looks really interesting, may chuck some money his way. Always loved his ability to bring a European tilt to Giantbomb when he was around.

#27 Posted by Jaalmo (1749 posts) -

I liked his videos on Gamespot. If he does more of that then yeah... I'll chip in. I expect a lot of good from this.

#28 Posted by Shindig (4944 posts) -

Okay, so he's self-employed. Shame.

#29 Edited by sammo21 (5971 posts) -

I really like Danny but I just can't support another person's Patreon. I already spend $30 a month supporting random people I enjoy but at a certain point you just have to say, "Nope, sorry." With everything in my life that charges monthly another one of those can't cut it, sadly. I suppose I could just do $1 here and there but that seems pointless in the grand scheme of things. At a certain point the amount of things I'm billing for monthly is getting a little much...

@kingbonesaw Yup, exactly how I feel.

#30 Posted by flameboy84 (896 posts) -

I'm both disappointed and excited about where this go. I think he is basically out the mainstream press forever now if this is what he wants to produce. I just think unfortunately the kind of content he creates probably doesn’t get anywhere near as many views as reviews or top 5 funny farts in videogames so then the high cost to keep production values up plus travelling costs is far outweighed by their return on advertising revenue, even if they turned a “profit” then it won’t be as much as boshing out top 5s. Also his kind of content does not lend itself to sponsored content (at least without losing all objectivity) so then how else does it sustain itself?

@sammo21 I think your part of growing crowd and can't help but wonder what the long term viability of this kind of micro subscription is? There is certainly a breaking point though, how many of these can the industry sustain once cobbled in with netflix, amazon prime, hulu, tv provider subscriptions, and your know actually buying games all vying for our disposable income/entertainment money.

#31 Posted by JPon87 (191 posts) -

I'll support him! While I do agree with the notion of patreon becoming very crowded and people can only give so much money per month, I think some of you guys are being harsh on him. It's his dream to make documentaries and he's seeing if it's tenable to do that independently. Can't fault him for that. No doubt it's a risky move but he can at least say he tried no matter what happens. Good luck to him and I can't wait to see what comes out of this!

#32 Posted by personandstuff (647 posts) -

The jealous old man in me often kind of has a problem with the patreon model. But Danny seems like the right type of person to make use of it.

#33 Edited by Buarpo (31 posts) -

Good for Danny and good luck to him.

#34 Posted by WesternWizard (604 posts) -

Thing to keep in mind for anyone talking about too many things to subscribe to. Danny is almost up to 8k/month in well under 24 hours from go live from only 1,101 people subscribing to his Patreon. The beauty if this model is it doesn't take THAT many people giving $5-10/month to generate real revenue to both pay yourself and expenses towards whatever you are trying to do. Sure everyone can't sub to every patreon/online service/MMO/etc because that would get crazy expensive, but we don't need them to. 1,101 out of 350 million people in the US alone is a drop in the bucket.

#35 Posted by Naoiko (1676 posts) -

I hope it does really really good. I wish Danny the best! I'll totally be keeping an eye on this.

#36 Edited by MindBullet (709 posts) -

@westernwizard: I don't know if its really cool or kinda sad that Danny is probably gonna be making a lot more off Patreon than one of the biggest names in game journalism but it's the first thing I thought of.

#37 Posted by jakob187 (22957 posts) -

I'm stoked about this. The video content that Danny made was always really high-quality, both in terms of production value and content. Cannot wait to see where this adventure goes!

#38 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15716 posts) -

I wish the dude all the luck in the world and am more than willing to see what comes out of this.

#39 Posted by cikame (2828 posts) -

@koolaid said:
@bojackhorseman said:

Patreon is kinda just like Giant Bomb premium. Support people you like by kicking in a dollar a month, get cool extras and know that they can make better content. I usually just stick in a dollar for people I like instead of going for the rewards.

That's absolutely the right way to look at it, if you don't want to "subscribe" you don't have to, you'll still be able to see the main portion of the content anyway.
I'm thinking about backing, i just asked a few questions about if the Quality he's aiming for is in-line with the best episodes of The Point, and which is shown in the Patreon trailer, because we arn't just donating to good guy Danny he has a cameraman and maybe other people on the team.
Maybe i'm greedy, but i don't just want to give money to help people make cool stuff, but i also want to know i'm getting value :P.

#40 Posted by packerman120 (114 posts) -

Definitely feel like being on his own will allow him to create the best quality content that he wants, instead of whatever his employer wants.

#41 Posted by FLStyle (6650 posts) -

I registered to the website and backed him, first time I've done a Patreon/Kickstarter subscription, happy to help.

#42 Posted by doctordonkey (1827 posts) -

Almost at 9000$ now, should be plenty of budget to prove himself, which I'm almost certain he will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#43 Edited by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

I love gaming docs better than any normal dumb summer movie.

#44 Posted by csl316 (14968 posts) -

Sounds good to me.

Although I'm honestly surprised how quick the funds have been adding up.

#45 Posted by Castiel (3476 posts) -

I'm not going to lie. This seems super risky. I think I'm a way too anxious person to ever do something like this myself.

But Danny is a good and awesome person and his The Point videos was the only GS content I enjoyed. Maybe Danny just wanted to double down on documentary style videos and he couldn't really do that with GS. If he would have to do something like that Patreon is probably the best way to go.

#46 Posted by NPfeifer (226 posts) -

I definitely want to see more gaming docs out there, whether it's Danny's stuff, Area5 or even the Polygon long-forms that Russ Pitts was in charge of. That's the direction the gaming industry should be going instead of just consuming games and spitting out reviews as quickly after release day as possible. That said, it's time consuming to do this stuff. Not to self-promote, but I've been doing long-form game documentaries for two years, but since no one knows who I am, a Patreon or Kickstarter is basically impossible. Danny can thankfully take advantage of that.

#47 Posted by pauljeremiah (225 posts) -

Glad to see that he's doing stuff like this now. I think there's a huge appetite for video game documentaries (both short and long form) and I really loved this stuff he produced with The Point.

#48 Posted by ajamafalous (13817 posts) -

I wish I could find a job so that I could give to his Patreon. Danny's one of like four people I can think of that I would actually willingly give to. Love that dude.

#49 Posted by soulcake (2786 posts) -

I definitely getting Patreon Fatigue if that's even a thing. Hope he succeeds !

#50 Posted by hassun (9966 posts) -