Darkest Dungeon 2 announced

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

PC Gamer interview link

We announced Darkest Dungeon 2. Very light on details so far but I hope @alex is mildly excited. No platforms or release date announced yet.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well hot damn! The change from "sieging your own corrupted estate" to a more dynamic "embarking across a variety of different lands" is a great (red) hook.

Also, I *love* that you were able to work with Wayne June and Stuart Chatwood again; their contributions were a huge factor providing atmosphere to the dark world Red Hook built.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, cool stuff. I love Darkest Dungeon, and the changes to the meta level sound really cool. I like the idea of longer gruelling journeys, and I guess Crimson Court was sort of the first prelude to that sort of thing.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone: I uh..I hope that's all they take from Crimson Court.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By handlas

We? You part of the team? I think I bought the first one on 3 different platforms because I liked it so much... to a point. Then it gets too hard and I quit ?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Neat! I've still gotta try the original at some point.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

@brackstone: I uh..I hope that's all they take from Crimson Court.

I know the Crimson Court is a love-or-hate deal, but I feel like a lot of the backlash came from the fact that that expansion threw a huge curveball at players who thought they knew DD1 in-and-out, and could beat the system. Personally, I thought it was a great twist on the "vampire" archetype, and the new mechanics added an entirely new dimension to the fairly routine means of progressing through the game.

@handlas said:

We? You part of the team?

Clicking on OP's profile will reveal to you that they are part of the Red Hook development team.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is certainly good news!

I don't really have any opinion on the Crimson Court, but the one thing I hope they change is a problem I had with the recruitment system. When you start moving into the late game content (hardest difficulty), you lose folks fairly regularly. Losing folks isn't the issue; by that point in the game you've probably lost some of your favorite people. The problem lies in that when you go to replace that fallen comrade, you have to pick up a low level character and then grind them up to level six again. I know they implemented an upgrade to the caravan that put some mid-tier characters in the hiring pool, but when it comes down to it, hiring a level 0 and hiring a level 2 is no different at that stage in the game. They both require leveling up to be useful, and the time sink that ensued led to me not finishing the game.

I look forward to the game, but at this point all I need to know is if the sequel has the same problem. If so, I don't see myself playing it.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Huh, Lepers are back for the sequel. Darkest Dungeon remains one my most-played games, and needless to say, I'm pretty fucking stoked for the new one.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkest Dungeon is a game I own, but it gives me soooooo much anxiety to play that I enjoy it but at the same time don't enjoy it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dasakamov: I like the idea of a curveball like that but Crimson Court went too much too fast.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am so excited for this. Darkest Dungeon is my favorite game of the last 3, 4 years. Put hundreds of hours into it. Beat it multiple times and still playing it to this day.

Just this early look makes it seem like exactly what I want. Building and improving on what's there will not completely changing it up.

I guess I just hope they don't get too... cutesy with balancing. They certainly made cool and interesting changes as the game went along, but at times it felt like the were just reaching for some changes. And when they brought in a modder to help balance it that made me wonder what's going on.

Still I can not wait for this. I am literally doing a run of Darkest Dungeon now just achievement hunting because I want to keep playing it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By csl316

It was fun to watch it on the site, but I never played it because I head the endgame was way too ridiculous. Hopefully they have some more varied difficulty options in this one because I'd love to get into it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Efesell

@csl316: They did eventually add a Radiant difficulty which is just an overall boost to the progression and removes the mechanic of only being able to do the last dungeon one time per character. It does very little to change moment to moment difficulty but is designed around the idea of actually finishing a game of Darkest Dungeon instead of just getting tired of it and stopping.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Oh word!

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

HOW DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Awesome. Probably played 100 hrs of the first one, never coming close to beating it. lol. Let's just say it's bad luck? Nah, my skill.

Very interested in what they do with a sequel, DD is legitimately amazing. While Early Access was the right decision for the original, I feel it somehow robbed it of ever getting any lasting attention, and it has live on as an underrated game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897
    deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats dude. Loved the first game. Eagerly awaiting the sequel.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oh, I'm all over this. I put about 90 hours into the original, and only about a dozen into the expansions. Not from lack of interest, just too many good games to play. Haven't even touched the Colour out of Space expansion (or whatever it's called). Absolutely love this game. Watched a lot of Youtubers play this. Bought a bunch of Wayne June audio books, but haven't really listened to them much. Huge Lovecraft fan! I'll probably get this one for the Switch. It's gotta be coming to that, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.