Avatar image for deactivated-5c072a2b922a9
deactivated-5c072a2b922a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEDjW8WUiTQ

After watching this trailer, I am convinced of it, especially since the Zelda series has been going on a decline since Twilight Princess.

Also, before anyone says "its not a zelda clone anymore, compare it to Diablo" or anything along those lines, just realize that we are comparing too similar style games. Both are adventure games, and both have puzzles. Darksiders 2 seems to have more with loot, customization, prince of persia esque gameplay and deeper combat, but lets ignore that for now and simply look at the games as a whole.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

...No. Zelda games and Darksiders are for different people. The idea that Darksiders was somehow going to replace Zelda only came from the people who thought Zelda needed to become darker, more gritty and violent, and 'grow up'. People with their heads lodged firmly in their asses, in other words.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Make_Me_Mad said:

...No. Zelda games and Darksiders are for different people. The idea that Darksiders was somehow going to replace Zelda only came from the people who thought Zelda needed to become darker, more gritty and violent, and 'grow up'. People with their heads lodged firmly in their asses, in other words.

what do you mean by 'are for different people'?

I have played and been drawn to both Zelda and Darksiders, so I am not getting your point.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

Nope. It won't be.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Unlikely. For me anyways. I much prefer Skyward Sword to Darksiders and Skyward Sword has it share of issues.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@GlutenBob said:

I have played and been drawn to both Zelda and Darksiders, so I am not getting your point.

The two games are aiming for different audiences. That you are in both does not change this.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@GlutenBob said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

The two games are aimed at different audiences. Darksiders filled the niche that existed for the angry kids who wanted a 'Dark' Zelda game, and also happened to be a pretty good game on its own merits. One of them isn't going to swallow the other and reign supreme, because people don't go to either of them for what the other offers. They're only becoming more different with this latest iteration of Darksiders, and the only person I can imagine who still thinks there's some competition between the two series is someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I'm a Zelda fan but I'm okay with this; Zelda has gone in the complete wrong direction with all the motion control crap. Though I hear Darksiders 2 has also gone in a different direction, but I've been avoiding coverage for fear of spoilers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It will be awesome, but no.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TehFlan

I liked Skyward sword more than Darksiders. Obviously I haven't played Darksiders II yet, but it seems like the two series are going for pretty different things, and I think there's more than enough room in the market for them both to exist, especially considering Nintendo only releases a couple of Zelda games per platform.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This premise also suggests that the Simpsons or Adult Swim act in direct competition to Disney or Saturday morning cartoons on account that they're both animated. They're for different age groups. Darksiders isn't taking any sales away from Zelda (or at least, not a statistically meaningful amount). People who bought Darksiders either were or were not going to purchase Zelda anyways, it's an extreme minority who went "well I was gonna buy Zelda but after playing Darksiders I don't want to". It's merely supplying a Zelda-like experience to a demographic that maybe is or isn't interested in pure Zelda anymore.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Rhaknar

I love these "X Game is a Y Killer" arguments, so informative and useful

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By C2C
...especially since the Zelda series has been going on a decline since Twilight Princess.

Are we talking in terms of sales or review scores here? I thought the Zelda series was still doing fine on both metrics since Twilight Princess.

...we are comparing too similar style games. Both are adventure games, and both have puzzles. Darksiders 2 seems to have more with loot, customization, prince of persia esque gameplay and deeper combat, but lets ignore that for now and simply look at the games as a whole.

I disagree with your assumption that both have the same style even if we ignore what you said (even though we really shouldn't). The very nature of the art style and storytelling from both games make them go to different audiences. Darksiders is catered to a mature crowd whereas Zelda games lean more towards a younger audiences. Mechanically speaking there are similarities, but it seems to me that the way the Zelda series have always been little bit on the simpler/easy side of things compared to what I have seen in Darksiders (correct me if I am wrong here, I havent played any Darksiders games). I think it more apples to oranges than your making it seem.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By betterboulder

Despite the fact that I already preordered DS2, it has not replaced Zelda in my life

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By _Zombie_

@Rhaknar said:

I love these "X Game is a Y Killer" arguments, so informative and useful

Since when were informative and useful synonyms for pointless and annoying?

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Floope

YO ZELDA IS DUN FOR.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

Zelda is going down guys. That thq game is totally going to topple one of Nintendo's 3 most successful franchises.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh man, that's a good one. Darksiders a Zelda killer. Yeah, right.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Its doing a lot of things I wanted Zelda to do but I'm glad they didn't and I can appreciate two amazing games like this.

One thrives on the darkness, the other on fantasy, they're way too different to be compared.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By BeachThunder

Can't wait for Borderlands 2; it looks like a great Doom clone!

Grimmy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grimmy616

Don't like Zelda. Like Darksiders. Weeeee

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidSwords

Full retard thread.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@GlutenBob said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEDjW8WUiTQ

After watching this trailer, I am convinced of it, especially since the Zelda series has been going on a decline since Twilight Princess.

Also, before anyone says "its not a zelda clone anymore, compare it to Diablo" or anything along those lines, just realize that we are comparing too similar style games. Both are adventure games, and both have puzzles. Darksiders 2 seems to have more with loot, customization, prince of persia esque gameplay and deeper combat, but lets ignore that for now and simply look at the games as a whole.

You cant "Kill" something that is part of the foundation of gaming. These two games are aimed at different audiences. So no. It wont kill anything...except for the demons and maybe some angels. 
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Zelda killed itself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GERALTITUDE said:

Zelda killed itself.

Well that could possibly be accurate. I calculate a 95% probablity that this statement is true.

Fi and her percentage evaluations killed Skyward Sword for me. Well the controls and other stuff didn't help either.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Don't be silly, Zelda games are forever money.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaLe

At least I can finish a Darksiders game. I've started numerous Zelda games and never finished any of them. Too boring, so yeah Darksiders > Zelda.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#29  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I don't really get all the Skyward Sword hate. It wasn't perfect, but I still really enjoyed it. Now Twilight Princess on the other hand, THERE'S a real piece of shit game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Taku128 said:

I don't really get all the Skyward Sword hate. It wasn't perfect, but I still really enjoyed it. Now Twilight Princess on the other hand, THERE'S a real piece of shit game.

wha????

I loved TP and dislike SS. Skyward Swords controls, Fi and overall kiddish theme really killed it for me. I mean Wind Waker was pretty kiddish too, but Skyward Sword took it to a whole another level.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I would be way more interested in Darksiders if they kept everything but the plot/set dressing. It's "dark" and takes itself way too seriously. The mechanics, game play, and everything else behind it are great, but I'd like them more in another game, I think.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By Marz

I'd say Darksiders 2 is evolving into something else. I wouldn't even say it's a Zelda type of game anymore.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#34  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@GlutenBob said:

@Taku128 said:

wha????

I loved TP and dislike SS. Skyward Swords controls, Fi and overall kiddish theme really killed it for me. I mean Wind Waker was pretty kiddish too, but Skyward Sword took it to a whole another level.

Twilight Princess was a 20 hour long chore. The four hour tutorial town sucked, the dungeons sucked, the combat sucked, playing as the wolf sucked, hunting for light tears sucked, the entire game just... sucked. Also Wind Waker's artstyle was fantastic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Taku128 said:

@GlutenBob said:

@Taku128 said:

wha????

Twilight Princess was a 20 hour long chore. The four hour tutorial town sucked, the dungeons sucked, the combat sucked, playing as the wolf sucked, hunting for light tears sucked, the entire game just... sucked. Also Wind Waker's artstyle was fantastic.

I agree about Wind Wakers artstyle. I would have liked SS artstyle but it was a blurry mess. I cannot support something with such bad graphics.

WW on the other hand, was eye candy.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Phatmac

I hope not. Modern Zelda games kinda suck so I hope Darksiders 2 elevates from previous Zelda games.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#37  Edited By LordAndrew

Didn't Ōkami already kill Zelda?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

People are in for a rude awakening if they think that Darksiders II is going to set the sales charts on fire.

These game killer arguments make no sense, there are so many games that take from other games nowadays.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Seppli

A long time ago, I started a very prophetic thread about Darksiders 2 - and it tailspinned quickly out of control... glad to see the tenor somewhat changed on the franchise, but overall, expect a similar shitstorm...

http://www.giantbomb.com/darksiders/61-20991/darksiders-2-the-perfect-launch-game-for-the-next-generation/35-382240/#111

So - I'm going to dig in on this shit-tastic blast from the past. Let's see what we've got here.

Edit: Good lord. My typos and the attitude. What fucked up energy. Nontheless - Darksiders 2 represent! A fucked up fight worth fighting t'was.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BraveToaster

Yes, because the industry isn't big enough for both franchises. /sarcasm

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#41  Edited By jacksukeru

I tried to get into Darksiders twice by playing the demo, no luck though. The sequel still interest me, if for no other reason than that it seems to have a lot of shit in it.

As for Zelda, I...liked Skyward Sword to a point, I've just lost all interest in the universe. The ending to Skyward Sword basically confirmed that it has been set up as an endless cycle, there will be no finality, no final battle, the games will just go on the same forever. An evil is resurrected, a hero defeats said evil, no one will ever be aware of the bigger picture. There's just nothing there for me to get invested in.

So yeah, I feel like SS was probably my last Zelda unless they really change it up, that's fine, I've simply grown out of it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ravenlight

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Don't be silly, Zelda games are forever money.

Apt observation. Nintendo could release the original Legend of Zelda over and over, ad infinitum on every new device, forever and still make bank. Hardcore Zelda fans* don't want a new direction (or even innovation, it seems like sometimes), they just want more Zelda.

--

*No, I'm not referring to you, don't be so self-centered.**

--

**That doesn't play the same way I wanted it to after quoting c0lp0p. Let's pretend that this never happened...

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hunkulese
@GlutenBob What if there are some people who *gasp* play them both?
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By Dagbiker

Zelda has been on the decline since, one game ago?

One game is not a trend.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cloudenvy

Unless they've gotten way better at designing dungeons, it won't even be close to competing with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hunkulese said:

@GlutenBob What if there are some people who *gasp* play them both?

There could be. I am one of them. I just think that Darksiders 2 will be superior to any of the zelda games this generation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker said:

Zelda has been on the decline since, one game ago?

One game is not a trend.

since Twilight Princess there have been

2 DS and 1 Wii Zelda (if I remember correctly)

so thats 3 games.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By flasaltine

Do you solve puzzle in Darksiders?

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jay444111

The only thing I hated in Skyward Sword is that Link has to describe everything after you have already gotten it when you reload a save.

Oh and the fact that there wasn't enough people to talk to! I miss that dammit!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jay444111:

What about Fi? She was as annoying as Navi, but nowhere near as integral to the plot.