Day Z or Dead Rising 3 Which should I buy?

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Day Z is on sale right now for $26 on steam. Dead Rising 3 is on sale used for $26. I really like Zombie games and both look like fun games. I'm not much of a PC gamer. I usually stick to consoles for the most part. I don't have very many Xbox One games since there isn't many games out for the Xbox One. Which should I buy and why?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day z is the definition of a PC game. I mean it wont play any other way with big changes for consoles. as you say you're a console gamer you would not thrive in Day z. With most of what you say there I think you should get Dead rising.

As Dayz is unfinished, its a deep Pc game and very experience drive. Maybe you can wrap your head around the keyboard controls (to be fair is clunky) however experiences or the game itself may turn you away.

You might get your moneys worth from Dayz if your the right person. But I think YOU WILL get your moneys worth from Dead Rising.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By agentboolen

Deadrising would be my pick. I played all of them except 3... since well you know I don't have a xbox one, Damn Microsoft for buying exclusive rights!!

Day Z looks kind of boring imo

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why would you buy a beta (Day Z)? Or is it in alpha?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dead Rising 3 - definite buy if you have a xbox one. Was pretty fing Rad (i think i put in like 60+ hours)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Isn't Day Z more of a psychopath simulator these days than a zombie survival game? I think Dead Rising 3 would be your best bet if you're in the mood for a game that's all about zombies fillin' yo screen.

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everybody for the help! Sounds like everybody thinks I should get Dead Rising 3. So that's what I'll get.

What's your favorite zombie game?

My favorite is Resident Evil 4. I beat it on the Gamecube and the Wii.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I echo the sentiment that you should probably get Dead Rising 3 of the two. I have yet to play Dead Rising but having played Day Z I would have to recommend waiting until the game is more of a game than it is at the moment.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mems1224

Dead Rising 3.

Day Z has a lot of potential to be good but its too incomplete right now.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nights

@agentboolen said:

Day Z looks kind of boring imo

From my experience with the game, Day Z is anything but boring. There are some lulls in the "action" and the game is infinitely better with a friend or two, but I definitely wouldn't consider it boring. Then again, I don't mind waiting/hiding in one spot for 45 minutes while I wait for the coast to be clear or to ambush an unsuspecting player. There's few (if any) games that get my adrenaline flowing, heart pounding, mind on full-on death watch like Day Z. Some of the scenarios that have played out during my time with the game will stick with me forever and for a multitude of reasons. Crazy shit happens. This is the result of perma-death, limited supplies and full-loot PVP. I know a lot of people aren't a big fan of this style, but it makes for extremely intense encounters. Every step matters, every shot matters. With that said, I haven't played it in quite sometime so it could be in a far worse state compared to when I last played it. I happen to love stalking, stealth and survival (that sounds creepy) in general so you're mileage may vary if you prefer something that's more, "Go, go, go, shoot, shoot, shoot."

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about Day Z, but I personally thought Dead Rising 3 was a really great, fun game overall. The biggest problem I have with the game is the fact that once you've beaten it, while you do get all of your stuff with a new game plus, you have to go through all of the missions again to open up areas again, which I had hoped would have been unlocked so I could simply roam freely without having to run through side missions again, and then go through the story whenever I felt like doing so. Oh, and it may not be obvious at first, but right from the get-go, you could easily upgrade everything within an hour or two. I didn't figure that out until I was about done with the story, but I upgraded my brother a lot when he started.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Do you like finished games? If so buy Dead Rising. If you like broken pieces of experimental social engineering then Day Z is your game.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Rising 3 is so boring. But then again I found 1 and 2 to be pretty boring too so take that as you will. Day Z however, is one of the most emotionally intensive and harrowing games I've ever played. It evokes a genuine emotional response in me that I have never gotten from any other game. It is definitely fairly broken and will probably never come out, but if you want a new experience I would go for that. If you want a known quantity that you have essentially played before then get Dead Rising (don't misunderstand me, there's nothing wrong with that, haute cuisine is fantastic but sometimes I just want to eat instant noodles)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smeffw: Do you mind that other people will be able to screw you over in your own game?

Yes? Buy Dead Rising 3.

No? Buy Day-Z

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By abendlaender

I don't think those two games are comparable at all.

brettuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would agree with @abendlaender, the games just aren't comparable.

Zombies aside, DR3 is hyper-unrealistic, action packed, pure carnage. It's fun in the crazy, mayhem, chaotic sort of way.

DayZ is more of a PvP game. If you go into the game expecting hot zombie action you will be disappointed. It isn't Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. There are zombies, and they can kill you, but the real threat are other players. The game is slow and intense - a few seconds of action with lots of downtime. It can be frustrating, and at times, boring. It is emergent gameplay, and instead of being walked through a storyline, you create it yourself and the narrative is really up to you and your imagination.

DayZ is a polarizing game, it seems people either love it or hate it. The people who hate it usually hate it for the same reasons other people love it: Death is permanent, a single error can wipe out hours (or even days) worth of effort. You can't rollback to a previous save, everything is persistent. There is no goal unless you set one for yourself.

Personal opinion aside, if you are a console player and used to console games, DR3 is the way to go. It is probably the zombie game you are looking for. I would encourage you to watch some videos of people playing DayZ on YouTube and get an idea of what playing the game is really like - you might be surprised.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I know the original question has been answered, but really they were always just two very different games. Dead Rising 3 is good, arcady fun, whereas DayZ is a multiplayer experience where your enjoyment depends entirely upon the experience with others and if that variable is what interests you.

Favorite zombie game? Probably the original Left 4 Dead. I never played co-op, but had countless hours of fun by myself running through the campaigns. It was just awesome how unique the game and each experience running through a sequence of levels always ended up being. No need for a real story - just "zombies! Ahhhh!" and away we go!

Maybe it would be different if I was reeled in by any of the Resident Evil series beforehand.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DayZ if you want to watch an amazing social experiment on how people can so quickly become psychopaths. (Oh, and it's actually pretty fun. Check out the steam reviews)

Be ready for the "DayZ shakes."