Dead Space Impressions

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

Edited By tofford

I picked up Dead Space today for a play through. This was after numerous recommendations from friends, journalists, Giantbomb users and more. It deffinately lives up to expectations but being a bit of a wus can I stand up to its terrifying ways. The first moment I took control of Isaac this game shit me up big style the sound design is brilliant and just makes the whole game extremely haunting. Stay tuned to my blog for further impressions and most of all to see if I survive.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tofford

I picked up Dead Space today for a play through. This was after numerous recommendations from friends, journalists, Giantbomb users and more. It deffinately lives up to expectations but being a bit of a wus can I stand up to its terrifying ways. The first moment I took control of Isaac this game shit me up big style the sound design is brilliant and just makes the whole game extremely haunting. Stay tuned to my blog for further impressions and most of all to see if I survive.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Epic :D Another Dead Space fan to add to the list.

It's one of those games that doesnt appear anything special from the outside or from videos, but it's sound design really makes it happen when your sat in front of it. It had me on edge the first time through but after that I could practically fall asleep, but i'm pretty hardened to this particular breed of horror having played countless Resi and similar games growing up.

If you've not seen the film it takes a lot of inspiration from, Event Horizon, do it :D You won't regret that either, Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neil, what could possibly be bad about that? :D Not to mention other awesome famous dudes.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie
@The_A_Drain said:
" Epic :D Another Dead Space fan to add to the list.It's one of those games that doesnt appear anything special from the outside or from videos, but it's sound design really makes it happen when your sat in front of it. It had me on edge the first time through but after that I could practically fall asleep, but i'm pretty hardened to this particular breed of horror having played countless Resi and similar games growing up.If you've not seen the film it takes a lot of inspiration from, Event Horizon, do it :D You won't regret that either, Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neil, what could possibly be bad about that? :D Not to mention other awesome famous dudes. "
Im going to engage you in a debate
So your saying that if your sound setup isnt great you wont get the most out of this game?
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Pie:

Not necessarily, mine isn't that great at all. If you have a really awful one then yeah, but everything else the game does it does well enough that it's not totally reliant on the sound. But in short, yeah if your sound setup sucks balls you aren't going to get the best out of Dead Space, not if you want to be scared or engaged anyway, even without sound it's a great sci-fi action game.
somerandomdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By somerandomdude

I didn't like Dead Space, it was like the Halo version of survival horror games.

Repetitive in both its gameplay and level design, It's also horribly unispired and generic. Not to mention it gets boring and the game wasn't very scary at all. Like Halo, it rips off a lot of movies in both its story and art design.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

so you liked it?

..... i've lost faith in humanity
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"so you liked it?

"

You've lost faith in humanity because somebody liked an awesomely good game?

Wow...
somerandomdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By somerandomdude
@The_A_Drain said:
"@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"so you liked it?

"
You've lost faith in humanity because somebody liked an awesomely good game?Wow... "

Its not THAT good, its pretty generic and derravitive as far as RE4 clone can get
scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By scroll

Huh, good to see there's others out there that appreciate this as much as me. I'm recently going for a rerun on hard, haven't died yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Generally I really enjoyed it first time purely for it's great atmosphere. I also found it to have lots of solid mechanics, many of which were "stolen" from other games, but with an added touch of polish.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@The_A_Drain:  please tell me youre not being serious.. i wasnt being serious myself its just i dunno some sort of sarcasm im not supposed to explain it to you. 
i do find it very odd and uncomfortable that so many people like this piece of shit though. and dont ask me why i find it shitty, i did try to explain once and it seems like either nobody else has the ability to notice that detailed shittiness or that you find it great just like pervs find foot-eating appealing
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@somerandomdude said:
"@The_A_Drain said:
"@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"so you liked it?

"
You've lost faith in humanity because somebody liked an awesomely good game?Wow... "
Its not THAT good, its pretty generic and derravitive as far as RE4 clone can get "

It doesn't pretend not to be though. It's incredibly well built, completely perfects the controls, has very high quality sound and visuals, great enemy design, frantic combat, and a decent, if predicable and generic plot. Who cares if it takes a large amount of inspiration from a few films,  it takes it's inspiration from good films, and the result is still a great game...
somerandomdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By somerandomdude
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"@The_A_Drain:  please tell me youre not being serious.. i wasnt being serious myself its just i dunno some sort of sarcasm im not supposed to explain it to you. 
i do find it very odd and uncomfortable that so many people like this piece of shit though. and dont ask me why i find it shitty, i did try to explain once and it seems like either nobody else has the ability to notice that detailed shittiness or that you find it great just like pervs find foot-eating appealing
"
Dead Space is not BAD, its just average.
scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By scroll
" @The_A_Drain:  please tell me youre not being serious.. i wasnt being serious myself its just i dunno some sort of sarcasm im not supposed to explain it to you. 
"
Weird sense of humour eh?
scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scroll
@somerandomdude said:
" @The_A_Drain said:
Its not THAT good, its pretty generic and derravitive as far as RE4 clone can get "
Considering I enjoyed it more than RE4 then I guess it did it's job very well. It's not like you fight the same troll/thing boss several times...
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain

" it seems like either nobody else has the ability to notice that detailed shittiness"

What does this even mean?

What, you noticed a few texture errors or animation glitches or what? Cos I have a pretty keen eye and didn't notice many instances of errors like that. It's ok if you don't like it, but offering such a scalding opinion without giving so much as even a "I just don't like it" is a little rich, it's not other peoples fault you don't like it. The problem is yours, not everybody elses.

Unless you want to explain what 'detailed shittiness' means... Cos it means shit to me.

Edit:

Since when was it so very wrong to enjoy a high quality, innovative game? Fuck some peoples standards are higher than the sattelite dish on the empire state.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By ErgoProxy77

I think it's a really great game.  However, for a horror game, it didn't scare me much at all.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By scroll
@The_A_Drain: I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the game, but clearly the "wrong sort" replied to this thread with the purpose of trolling.
Mr_JPeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Mr_JPeps

Dead Space is a great game! I didn't like the character designs for the enemies, they were going for the horror demon weird freaky style, but that just made it feel generic to me. The game play is fast and fluid though and does a great job or making you feel like your the shit! And your right the sound design is brilliant! Dead Space and Mushroom Men have some of the best sound design of any game thats come out so far and they are both so over looked! Anyway, Read my spoiler free review!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust
@tofford:

Good luck surviving it... :p

For me it is most intense horror game i've ever played... though the story remembered me too much of Silent Hill 2, but i liked it.

It's one of the best horror games up to date, and it's still the first game of the franchise... Looking forward to the next one. 
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By zombie2011

I'm getting my copy on tuesday along with Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. Got it for free thanks to Gamestops buy 2 get 1 free.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hitchenson

I really enjoyed Dead Space, thought it was a bloody awesome game in fact. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187
@somerandomdude: I don't remember Dead Space trying to reinvent the wheel.  Last I checked, they were just trying to make a damn good game...and they did.  Dead Space trumps RE4 and RE5 in almost every single way I can think of.

As far as the sound design thing that you guys are talking about, part of the greatness that is Dead Space exists because the sound design is incredibly well-done.  Much like with Condemned: Criminal Origins, you can't have a truly good "scary" game without good sound design.  Hearing every step you take echoing really puts this vibe of loneliness in you after a while.  Every time I played Dead Space, I seriously felt alone in that shit.  It was incredible.

If the sound wasn't as good as it is, it would STILL be an awesome game.  The shooting is smooth and well-done, having alt-fire on the weapons adds a lot of variety, the Impossible difficulty is fucking hostile, the limb dismemberment kept combat fun and something to look forward to rather than trying to avoid, the HUD was incredibly well-implemented, the story was short-sweet-to-the-point, the graphics were EXCELLENT and ESPECIALLY in HD...

I mean, what I don't understand is how anyone can honestly NOT like Dead Space...unless they just flat-out don't like survival horror or survival horror-styled games.