Dear Nathan from Washington

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

...Why are there so many of you?

At the risk of sounding like "is it just me or..." barrel scraping comedy, recent emails to the podcasts and submissions to the 3 AM Boyz have featured what seems like an abnormal amount of Nathans, specifically from Washington. I've been so taken aback by the Nathan Sensation that I've started looking up publicly available SSA.gov stats on the matter though I don't think I'm able to drill down to the state level. Shout out to whoever runs ourbabynamer dot com for the following

How popular is Nathan?

The very popular name Nathan was the 48th Most Popular Boys Name in the United States in 2018.

This top 50 contender has enjoyed a rank in the top 500 since 1880, when the Social Security Administration began keeping records.

Position 20, its highest popularity ranking, was reached for the first time in 2004 and as recently as 2005.

The name was given to the greatest number of children in 2004 with 14,627 occurrences.

In any year, the least number of babies named Nathan was 91 in 1881.

Approximately during the years 1883-1886, 1896-1900, 1906-1914, 1944-1951, 1953-1960, 1965-1980, 1995-2000, and 2001-2004, the name Nathan took a definitive turn upwards in popularity whereas unequivocal downward movement occurred about 2008-2017.

Where is the name Nathan popularity headed?

Currently, the name is at a mid point when compared to its most popular year.

The popularity trend for Nathan has been moving downward for a while. Of late, continuing the trend, the number of parents selecting the name Nathan for their newborn has dropped.

The name Nathan is favored by many parents but will probably continue to drift downward in popularity.

I'm not from the states - but why were so many humans no longer being named Nathan after that year? Who were the famous Nathans throughout the past few decades that inspired a spate of Nathan naming, and why does it specifically appear to be the state of Washington? I've tried looking up lists of famous Nathans from Washington, and the most notable thing that comes up is a three-time Olympic gold medalist who's only in his 30s, so that doesn't likely account for the mass of Nathans emailing the GB crew.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

My hunch is that they don't get e-mails like they use to and it could be the same writer. Seemed to remember a bunch of times in the Beastcast last year when they asked the audience to send in "more good emails" and the Bombcast remarking that it was "light on emails this week." Didn't they also try taking questions from Twitter and Tumblr at one point? I understanding wanting to keep it light sticking with the softballs but I wish they were willing to have a bit more of a dialogue with the listeners and take questions about the happenings on the site. That was more of a thing in the early days I feel like. Anyways, that's partly why I think the emails have gotten thinner, cuz they aren't willing to engage as much these days. Would also be a dumb fan theory. lol Sry to take your funny thread in a direction you probably didn't intend.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Are they all from Washington State? Some have to be from D.C. right?

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There is also quite a few Chrises/Krises that mail in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

There's a Nathan from Tumwater WA that writes and calls in a lot. I'm also in the PNW so it sticks out in my mind when I hear the place called out. There are a couple other writer inners that pop up enough that when I hear their name I think "you again."

Melusiocx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Melusiocx

I understanding wanting to keep it light sticking with the softballs but I wish they were willing to have a bit more of a dialogue with the listeners and take questions about the happenings on the site. That was more of a thing in the early days I feel like. https://www.mybkexperience.onl/

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Or after they mentioned the frequency of Nathan from Washington more of us wrote in under the guise of Nathan from Washington exacerbating the fact. For all the time they put into the podcasts, I can't imagine fact checking if the names of the emailers are real or not is a thing they do. Nathan from Washington is our Dear John/Jane, John/Jane Doe or any other anonymous naming concept thingy.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember where it was mentioned at some point they/he (Nathan) confirmed that all of those emails were written by the same Nathan. I want to say it was on a Bombcast but it might have been the aftershow? It's hard to say. There's SO MUCH Giant Bomb right now that everything sort of runs together.