DEVELOPER DIARY: Redesign and Performance

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce

We've been knee deep in redesign goodness the past two and half weeks and we're almost there. I think we're looking at about another week worth of work before we get GiantBomb to a state where we feel comfortable launching the redesign and I have to say it looks absolutely brilliant. Dave did such a good job rethinking the design and layout of the site I for one cant wait to start using it live. 

What we've been working on:

Dave
  • Dave's been leading up the redesign effort from the design and css side. He really did a masterful job blending the design patterns currently employed on the live site while streamlining and highlighting the most interesting information on every single page. You'll see what I mean when you take a look at our new game pages. 
  • He's been css'ing up a storm lately and is moving on to the Profile pages this weekend.

Sean
  • I've been spending the past two weeks helping Dave get at some of the new data we're floating at the wiki level.
  • I've also been going through and making a bunch of performance tweaks all over the site. I've really been focusing on trying to make use of memcached where possible.... we're surprisingly not using it in very many places yet - but as we continue to grow this is going to be more and more important.
  • I'll be moving on to profile stuff next week.

Andy
  • Andy's been working really hard on the html parser he launched earlier this week. There are a few kinks he's working out - but the end result of this feature is a huge win for the site.

Ethan
  • Ethan has been charging so freaking hard on our new image gallery tools its crazy!!! You guys have to see this stuff to believe it -- its all this crazy drag and drop image management and it will blow your mind. Every time I update and look at the image stuff I am simply stunned.... its getting to the point where Dave can design anything and Ethan can make it work in javascript. Brilliant.

So like I said, we're all very hard at work on the redesign and we're really trying to get it out as soon as we can. Hope everything is going well w/ you guys -- can't wait to drop the new site on you dudes!
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By coonce

We've been knee deep in redesign goodness the past two and half weeks and we're almost there. I think we're looking at about another week worth of work before we get GiantBomb to a state where we feel comfortable launching the redesign and I have to say it looks absolutely brilliant. Dave did such a good job rethinking the design and layout of the site I for one cant wait to start using it live. 

What we've been working on:

Dave
  • Dave's been leading up the redesign effort from the design and css side. He really did a masterful job blending the design patterns currently employed on the live site while streamlining and highlighting the most interesting information on every single page. You'll see what I mean when you take a look at our new game pages. 
  • He's been css'ing up a storm lately and is moving on to the Profile pages this weekend.

Sean
  • I've been spending the past two weeks helping Dave get at some of the new data we're floating at the wiki level.
  • I've also been going through and making a bunch of performance tweaks all over the site. I've really been focusing on trying to make use of memcached where possible.... we're surprisingly not using it in very many places yet - but as we continue to grow this is going to be more and more important.
  • I'll be moving on to profile stuff next week.

Andy
  • Andy's been working really hard on the html parser he launched earlier this week. There are a few kinks he's working out - but the end result of this feature is a huge win for the site.

Ethan
  • Ethan has been charging so freaking hard on our new image gallery tools its crazy!!! You guys have to see this stuff to believe it -- its all this crazy drag and drop image management and it will blow your mind. Every time I update and look at the image stuff I am simply stunned.... its getting to the point where Dave can design anything and Ethan can make it work in javascript. Brilliant.

So like I said, we're all very hard at work on the redesign and we're really trying to get it out as soon as we can. Hope everything is going well w/ you guys -- can't wait to drop the new site on you dudes!
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Wow just another week's work?  I really thought it would be at least another couple of months before we saw the redesign come live.  You guys work fast

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By optimusprime223

cant wait, should be sweet!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush

Glad to hear that things are going well...Can't wait to see the redesign go live; One week seems so soon.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

All of it sounds really awesome.  I absolutely can't wait for it to go live!  

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Aurelito

Since there isn't any forum for suggestions, will you kindly add BB code support to the board's editor? Current editor is very inflexible.

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By KingOfIceland

You peeps are out of your minds!! Can't wait for next week.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By mattbodega

You guys are the best! We are STOKED to see the things the design team is rolling out!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

You guys kick ass, can't wait for this stuff, thanks god the image management is getting updated, it takes forever to delete images with the current system.
All other sites shall bow down before the Bomb!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

*chants* PREVIEW, PREVIEW, PREVIEW!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

I can't wait... but I have no choice.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

Awesome? Yes!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Karmum

Can't wait, next week will fly by fast, especially since I'm off all of next week.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TheGamerGeek

This is going to be amazing!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By mrfluke

OOOOOO IM DYING FOR THE NEW IMAGE TOOL

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By brukaoru

Don't know how I missed this blog! Very cool to read about what everyone's doing for the redesign. You guys have really exceeded expectations of everyone by planning the release of the redesign early. Keep up the great work guys!