Development costs tripled with new generation handhelds

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mx

Develop-Online.net reports that due the NGP and 3DS being very complex to develop for and being much more console like.. Developing costs will  skyrocket . According to JC Connors of Griptonite Games a launch title for the 3ds costs 3 times as much to develop as a DS title.  

further reading: 
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1150/The-portable-revolution  

this explains for me  the relative high prices for 3ds games.  

what do you guys think, should handhelds games, aim to be console games on the go, and be priced as such. Or do they provide a nice balance between the android and iOs games on one site and the console games on the other site. or should those games have iOs/android price?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Good. Maybe now we'll see a decline in casual garbage. 

@MX said:

" what do you guys think, should handhelds games, aim to be console games on the go, and be priced as such. "

They've always aimed to be consoles on the go. The Game Boy Color was an NES, the Game Boy Advance was a SNES and so on.
jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By jasondaplock

I'd say the writing's on the wall about AAA game price. If it costs higher-end developers that much more to develop games on portable machinery, it will cost buyers more too. 

This probably doesn't mean the end of sub-$50 games on the 3DS and NGP, though. In a world that is increasingly indie-oriented, smaller games are still going to sell for much less than that, mostly through digital services. That doesn't really give the 3DS much help given Nintendo's track record, but Sony should push that aspect hard if they want their gadget to sell.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Development costs aren't going to triple for the majority of NGP games, because devs are just going to do rushed ports of their PS3 games rather than develop brand new games for the system.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan
@MattyFTM said:
" Development costs aren't going to triple for the majority of NGP games, because devs are just going to do rushed ports of their PS3 games rather than develop brand new games for the system. "
Same for the 3DS as far as I've heard.  But not for PS3 games obviously.  
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Brendan said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" Development costs aren't going to triple for the majority of NGP games, because devs are just going to do rushed ports of their PS3 games rather than develop brand new games for the system. "
Same for the 3DS as far as I've heard.  But not for PS3 games obviously.   "
Uncharted 3 on the 3DS.  

Confirmed.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan
@Khann said:
" @Brendan said:
" @MattyFTM said:
Same for the 3DS as far as I've heard.  But not for PS3 games obviously.   "
Uncharted 3 on the 3DS.   Confirmed. "
Stop it.  Stop telling me what I want to hear when I know that it cannot be.  
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Grumbel
@MX said:
" Develop-Online.net reports that due the NGP and 3DS being very complex to develop for and being much more console like..
Then maybe developers should start building simpler games. The joke with this "development costs are gonna rise" talk is that it is kind of wrong. Developing for a more modern and more powerful platform is easier and cheaper then the old stuff (except maybe the price for devkits), as you need to waste far less time on compressing your textures and trying to squeeze your data into tiny amounts of RAM. The problem is that developers always shift their goal posts when it comes to a new generation, so then instead of developing a simple quality 2D jump'n run they want the full high tech console experience and thus the costs rise. 

I am not a big fan of the super simple iPhone types of games, but I'd pick a good 2D game (Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid, Braid, Limbo, whatever) over a full blown Uncharted port any day on a mobile platform. Maybe its time for developers to learn that not everything must be a hugely expensive mega-blockbuster tiles and then simpler is not only for cheaper, but also far more appropriate for a mobile platform.