Did any of you guys tell your loved ones about Ryan?

• 128 results
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

I told my mom, girlfriend, and sister. They all know how much this site means to me so I thought I would share it with them because I was super upset (I only shed a few tears when I was talking to my mom which was right after I heard). My father passed when I was 6 years old. I know loss and still this has deeply resonated with me. It is well-known by this point that a bunch of people who never met Ryan feel like they have lost a friend. I feel the same. Me @orange_tory and @shimmy all attended the same school and could not believe it. As soon as Rorie gives us information on how to donate to Ryan's wife I am going to be right there. This makes me so angry that life can be so arbitrary in choosing who it takes away from the rest of us. Ryan gave me a lifetime of joy and for that I will always remember him.

Rabbykayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had to share with my wife because she needed to know why I was so upset. She doesn't understand the feelings.. but at least I got to say it out loud.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BurBan_Snake

I told a few of my friends, my parents and my brother.

Edit: I also told my girlfriend, who was a casual fan of the site. We shared a moment, but she wasn't as deep in as I was.

No one really understood why I was so upset, or crying yesterday, but damn it..

I knew, and so did every single one of you true duders out there.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

No, although I do have an old friend (of the relationship persuasion) who I know has a cancerous tumor in her leg and isn't seeking help for it because of her outlook on the future and this whole thing has had me really contemplating how to reach out to her.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

@rabbykayn: same here. she agrees that it's sad but didn't really get why I was so upset. She just doesn't have the kind of connection I've had with Giant Bomb over the years with anything herself so I suppose it's understanding that she wouldn't understand.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nope.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Did I suddenly bawl all over my wife? Yes. The manliest bawling there is of course, but still bawling.

She too treasured Ryan though and we've posted a little image in the 'raise your glass' topic thing.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I told my girlfriend. She told me she understood, but I don't think she really did.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I told my mom about it, as she's an incredibly empathetic person.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wrote a thing on Twitter, which only my close friends would see. One of my friends sent me a text afterwards asking if I needed to talk, which meant a lot but that was it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I told my parents. They didn't really get that I wasn't feeling so great that day.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sanity

No, id like to, but i know how that conversation would go, its hard to explain to someone who doesn't follow the site.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't tell anyone, but my mom would probably understand. She gets emotionally attached to a lot of famous people, and cries like a baby when they pass away. I'm reallllly good at hiding my emotions though, so no one would ever notice my sadness anyway.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Thankfully I'm alone at the moment, I wouldn't know what to tell my parents

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my parents and sister about it, but they don't exactly care about the game industry. When I tweeted about how he influenced me despite me never knowing him personally, my sister said "Normally when people say someone influenced them, they don't mean with Gameboy stuff." This is the kind of family I live with...

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I told my parents, once I compared it to losing a close friend, they understood.

I also told my brother, who is a casual fan of the site. He knows how invested I am in the crew, so he gave me a hug and a knowing look. That made me feel better.

daddy_gab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Told my wife about it. I work from home and listen to the Bombcast and she hears it too. She was sad about the fact that he died so young and just a few days after he got married. She remembered the episode where Ryan was talking about his bridal registry.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my parents, that's it really. A couple of my friends know about the site but don't use it much, I'll probably let them know next time I see them though.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

My 12 year old nephew just posted about his death on Facebook and wished his family and friends well.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By wrecks

She was a little suprised by the magnitude of my emotions, but my wife totally gets it. I spend more time with these silly bastards than I do with her alot of times. I don't think anyone else I know would really understand.

cblanknz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in New Zealand and when I found out he had passed I was lying in bed on twitter. I turned to my girlfriend and told her then just cried. She understood because she saw how happy Ryan and the rest of the crew made me feel and would witness me sitting on my PC for hours watching live streams losing my shit. I think she was upset as I was and just as shocked.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since she asked why I didn't go to class today, I told my mom that "my friend" died. She reacted dismissively. Yeah, I'm gonna move out as soon as I can.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cthomer5000

1 friend texted me because he knew it would be huge news to me (he's a big gamer but doesn't really follow this site, but knows I do). We sort of exchanged texts. I provided context for what a big loss this was, and how exceptionally bad the timing was due to his marriage.

Sort of explained it to 1 co-worker and an in-law, because I just had to talk to someone about it. I would say this is the most upset I've ever been about a 'celebrity' death. I'm the same age.

I read Dave Lang's words while at work today and actually had to fight off tears. Some other people have written some beautiful things, but for some reason his hit me a little harder.

It's still all quite surreal, and it's going to take quite a while for that to wear off I think. I don't even know how the guys are coping with it in office. I'm sure they've woken up a few times since wondering if it actually happened. Nothing but time is going to make this easier for anyone.

Shepuisat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Told my mother and sister, who were both very empathetic. My father died when I was 20, and Ryan's death brought back a lot of those emotions, and both were amazing about just listening to me ramble about this amazing guy off the internet I never met.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Yeah, but they have no idea who he is.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@mikehawk said:

I told my parents and sister about it, but they don't exactly care about the game industry. When I tweeted about how he influenced me despite me never knowing him personally, my sister said "Normally when people say someone influenced them, they don't mean with Gameboy stuff." This is the kind of family I live with...

Bleh, you have everyone here duder.

revolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I informed my girlfriend, and she was sympathetic, because she's seen me watching videos on the site before.

revolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By revolve

I informed my girlfriend, and she was sympathetic, because she's seen me watching videos on the site before.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really have "friends" IRL so when I first heard my only option was my Mam. I balled my eyes out to her and I'm sure she thought I was ridiculous for being so upset about someone who never even knew me but Ryan was like a friend to me. He was such a powerful personality. His laugh.... Miss you already Ryan, Peace and Love.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I first heard about it from my cousin and we talked about it. Other than that, I live alone so I can grieve privately.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I kept mostly to myself on Monday, and after the Harmonix tribute stream and watching the other Twitch stream I was feeling a lot better, in that I could at least watch footage of Ryan and laugh. I went upstairs feeling more at peace and my mom, having seen my brother's facebook post, asked me who it was that died. I couldn't even say his name, I broke down right away. I tried my best, but it was really hard to explain to her why I was crying, and how much he impacted me and the community. I'm still not entirely sure why this has devastated me like it has. Oh look, now I'm crying again.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also talked about Ryan with a person I wouldn't consider a friend but more of an acquaintance. I spoke of him as someone I knew personally. I think if I had said he was a person that I watched playing videogames he would have thought I was an idiot/madman but I grew to love Ryan Davis and felt like he was a friend. Peace and Love buddy.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Told my wife when she asked how I was doing, has been genuinely upset and concerned for his loved ones ever since.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I wrote a tribute on my facebook so they know. I didn't need to share it anymore than that.

I don't really hang out with or know anyone that goes to this site. So, like gaming, I am kind of the only person I know that's into Giant Bomb so no one else would really care or get it really.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No, but I did contemplate it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@nick said:

I told my girlfriend. She told me she understood, but I don't think she really did.

My girlfriend actually broke the news to me. I told my mother and she didn't seem to get that I cared.

Also that's a great Matthew Good b-side album.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

Told my girlfriend and my mom when she called and asked how life was. They only got the surface of it though, which is fine as long as they know. They don't need to know or understand why a video "game personality" passing has me kinda fucked up...

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my girlfriend, but she's away and can only talk on he phone. I haven't told my parents yet but I plan to, just need some time to calm my mind, but everytime I even try to remember him I can't hold it together. I want to be able to explain to them, in a way that they will fully understand, how this person whom I never met was such a huge part of my life and is a huge part of who I am today.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

I called my mom as soon as I found out and texted my dad. They both knew how much I love Giant Bomb. I also posted my favorite videos of Ryan on facebook and wrote something about him on Facebook even though most of my friends don't know what Giant Bomb is. My dad was able to relate it to when he was younger and his hero Robert Clemente died at a young age from a plane crash. Both of them were our heroes and had to leave us too soon.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

No. I don't really have anyone in my life to talk to. I have a guy I play games with on Steam but he doesn't really go to the site so he doesn't care.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spoke to my wife and a few friends. I was pretty upset.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noobsauceg7: Glad you were able to relate with someone. I wish I had someone who didn't just think "oh he didn't even know this guy, he was just someone who p[played dumb videogames".

LiQuidBioniX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did. I had to.

dennistm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my wife. She wanted to know why I was so upset. Took a few tries to get it out.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't think they would understand. It was weird talking to my parents like nothing was wrong but I think it is a difficult thing to explain, especially when they hardly care for games in the first place.

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458: Exactly, me too. I tried to tell a friend about it, but I couldn't figure out how to explain it.

joker2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I told my wife, who knew how much I loved the Giant Bomb Crew. She read the post by Rorie and cried. She understood and hugged me while I cried. I'm also 6'2 250lbs and have a huge beard she is 5'3" and tiny. What a sight, lol. I love my wife.

I didn't expect it to affect me so much. I almost pride myself on my ability to hear about celebrity deaths and think "that sucks" and move on. But Ryan, or any of the Crew for that matter are a HUGE part of my life. 3hrs of podcast a week, 2hrs of TNT, 3hrs of Unprofessional Fridays and countless other videos, I spend more time with them than most other people. I blame GB for making feel this way, they made a site based on personalities and getting to know these people....

Ryan was somebody I specifically looked up too, him and his wife reminded me of my wife and I. Even our weddings seemed very similar. I'm 28 it seems odd to look up to some one 6yrs older than me, but Ryan seemed like a real grown up but he still seemed like a kid. Thats how I want to live my life, grown up but still a big kid at heart.

Anywho... yes I did tell my wife.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I told my girlfriend and my mom. The GB guys have been so inspirational in my life and I know I wouldn't be doing what I am today without them. No matter how shitty things were I always saw GB as this awesome place of joy and fun, and now I feel like that is slowly falling apart. It just feels crazy that the death of someone I've never met could shake me to my core in a way nothing else ever has. This makes it really hard to talk to people that don't really understand what these guys mean to all of us who have been following them for so long.

Thankfully, they understood as best they could and they didn't make me feel weird about it. I'm still pretty upset about all of this, and I just want to hear what they guys have to say on the podcast. Hopefully we can all use this tragic event to motivate us to be even half the man Ryan was.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sirdesmond

I spoke to my fiance and my mom about it throughout the day yesterday. Both of them understood my feelings. My mom is a big reader and we came to the conclusion that even if you haven't met the person doesn't mean losing them won't hurt, like losing your favorite character at the end of a great book... only in Ryan's case, he was real and therefore I feel like it hurts much more.