Did games increase your interest in real guns ?

• 71 results
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spacetrucking
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By spacetrucking

No, I'm not from the NRA or any Gun Control organization. But I think it's food for thought.

Take this gun's enthusiast's tale for example. He complains in his blog about the "Call of Duty effect" and how there are more inexperienced users taking an increased interest in real guns. The funniest story is Jim's encounter with a Halo fanboy: 

I wouldn't call it the Call of Duty effect as much as the Halo effect. He came in to a Pawn Shop I was shopping around at and asked for an "Ess Em Gee" (Submachine gun). The owner said that he didn't carry them. He then asked if he had any sniper rifles. The owner showed him a .270 (I believe). As the punk (hat cocked off to the side and his pants at a level where a belt would not allow them to fall) looked down the scope, he asked how to "zoom it" (a common feature of scoped rifles in video games). The owner showed him how to magnify and clarify the image. The punk said that he was just used to the rifle doing that for him. 

Finally the owner asked what the kid was looking for to which he replied "I just want to headshot some noobs! Like in Halo!"

The conversation quickly degraded from that moment and ended very shortly.

Personally, the only experience I have is with hunting rifles (before I even got into video games) and I never had any interest in military weapons. I'll admit that the Battlefield series did teach me the name & fake stats for a couple of rare guns but that's the end of it. I don't think any game has ever made me think "Hmm, I wonder how it handles for real". I just hope this doesn't become some kind of bigger trend because we already have enough fools blaming video games for all of society's ill doings. Though, I think it would be the ultimate irony if the NRA starts campaigning against violent video games too. 

Via [The Escapist]            
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Rayfield

Hell no. 

But it does accidentally educate me about gun types even thought I don't care to know. I dread the day that I'm stuck in a bank robbery and suddenly build up the courage to say DUDE JUST PUT THE HELLER KOCH MP5 ASSAULT RIFLE WITH THE ACOG SIGHT ON THE FLOOR AND LET THESE PEOPLE GO. 

Answer A. made me laugh. Heh. Blat blat.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Seppli

Nope - everytime I think of guns, I think of how easy it is to get shot in games (and the lack of respawns in real life). I don't want to get shot. It's like getting punched, only much much much more powerful. Your body will actually 'BREAK' from the force of impact.

I once saw a man get hit by a car. His body was broken. He squealed inhumanly. Still gives me nightmares. I never want to get shot. I don't want to break anybody's body, nor do I want my body to be broken by a gun. The world would be better off with guns being only virtual.

Real guns suck donkey balls.

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By i69edUrGpa

No...I personally hate gun nerds...

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Laharl

Nope, however my brother whos in the army on the other hand made me a little nerdy about guns. Always jealous when he comes home seeing me play call of duty and saying "ive fired a mark 19 before."  Lucky bastard.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I have a healthy respect and interest in guns that spawns from growing up in the south, but not really, no. Firing at a target is fun, but it's not something I'd be willing to invest real time or money in. Especially since I have no interest in hunting. I prefer playing video games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, is this good or bad, I can't tell.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Th3_James

First time i fired a gun, I was pretty good. I was 11. I fired an AK-47, Glock 9mm, and MP5 

i had very good grouping.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Not at all.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Toxin066

The first time I picked up the BFG I knew I had to have it.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By baconbits33
@i69edUrGpa said:
" No...I personally hate gun nerds... "
This.  

However my definition of a gun nerd is somebody who brags about their knowledge and experience with guns. Seriously if you've used an M-16 I could give a fuck less.... stfu....
senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By senrat

That guy buying the gun in the story was a dumbass.  I mostly get my knowledge guns from my interest in military history.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I don't care about guns. I especially hate people who have guns for wallpapers, and extremely hate when they are like 300x400 resolution and been stretched out.

nanifear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By nanifear

B. 

After a few weeks of playing MW2 I went on YouTube to see how the real guns were being fired ( P90,Vector,MP5K,Raffica,G18)  and how accurately they were modeled. In the game they look incredibly real I was impressed, but watching someone with real firearms skill try and shoot through entire P90 mag, struggling to keep it stable shed a whole light on whats real and whats a game.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stonyman65

I've been into guns for as long as I can remember, since I first watched Lethal Weapon 3.  Now being older I have been getting into real guns, and I spend most of my time shooting in competitions and practicing. 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rayfield
@Stonyman65 said:
"I've been into guns for as long as I can remember, since I first watchedLethal Weapon 3. "

Burning desire to shoot bullets at corrupt cops through bulldozers?
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Hamst3r

I'm not a gun fanatic and I have little interest in shooting guns in real life, but I've thought about making a real-life collection of my favorite video game guns.

Basically, figure out which guns have been used the most in video games and get those exact models. AK-47 assault rifle. Remington 870 shotgun. Desert Eagle. Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum. That sort of thing and just keep them in a case on my wall for display.

I haven't started this collection though because guns aren't cheap.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coombs

No.
Guns gave me an interest in guns......

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By meteora

Yeah, they did. I researched a bit more on guns and how they work; because they were fairly interesting. I mean, if I'm going to keep on using these guns that exist in real life, I'd at least like to know a bit about them.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Guns in games seem pretty limited in look & feel.  One machine gun is hardly different from any other. Also, you can't get automatic weapons in real life, not without a special license & paying through the roof.

However, lately I've been thinking about getting a Benelli M4 combat shotgun (guess they call them "defense guns" now), for home defense.  Expensive, about $1800, they're used by the Marines. If I get one, it'll be my first gun. Although I might just go to Walmart & buy an el cheapo 12 gauge, but it might not be as fun or look as good. :-)

PS:  My desire for guns has more to do with my current survivalist kick I'm on & living off the grid, etc, should the shit hit the fan (grid-down, food, water shortage situations, etc).

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By breadfan

Never.  

After playing games for years I have never once had the urge to fire a gun in real life. I have no use for a gun and do not see myself ever owning one.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By DanielJW

Not really.  

I once thought I wonder what it's like to really shoot a gun. Maybe I'd like to try that one day. 

That's been the extent of it's influence. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sixghost

It interested me enough to go to a shooting range with my brother 4-5 years ago and shot an M4. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The shooting range was fucking loud as hell even with my ear protection, and actually shooting the gun sucked ass too. It was like getting jabbed in the shoulder with a 2x4. Fuck real guns.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Not really. I don't really have an interest in guns. "Interest in guns". What does that even entail? Is that, like, when you unscrew a firearm and polish all its internal parts and wax them and grease them up or whatever? I can't imagine people having display cabinets full of guns. Guns strike me as tools. They are to be used in certain situations, and rarely, if ever, for good. One wouldn't line up a display case of wrenches. (Or maybe one would, who knows.)

That story also strikes me as bogus. Can't you get arrested for saying "I want to headshot [people]" while you're buying a firearm? There's gotta be a law against that.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fudgeblood
@i69edUrGpa said:
" No...I personally hate gun nerds... "
IT'S CALLED A FIREARM NOT A GUN KEKEKEKE

Seriously though, I whenever someone brags about their knowledge of firearms because they play Call of Duty I feel like breaking something.

"teh aks-74u iz nut a machen gun its a submachen gun nub" Euurgh..
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rayfield
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
"Can't you get arrested for saying "I want to headshot [people]" while you're buying a firearm? There's gotta be a law against that. "

"Whatcha in for kid? Prison doesn't seem like the place for you." 

"Man, the cops are punks! They always charging bro's like us for bullshit huh?" 

"Well, I wouldn't agree with that. What I did was pretty horrendous. What did you do?" 

"I just wanted to buy a sniper rifle so I could headshot noobs with maximum pwnage!" 

"Uhh..." 

"Blunt Trauma! Nah mean brah?" 

"I see." 

"Sheeet. Ya know what I'm sayeen!" 

"I think I understand. Would you prefer to be violently raped and killed now or after breakfast?" 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

a little, my dad bought a .22. we fire that sometimes. i kind of want a gun , idk what but i want one to fire at targets.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29  Edited By natetodamax
For me, yes
joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

No. I like guns a lot. But thats because I've been shooting gun since I was 6.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By spacetrucking
@Hamst3r:  That sounds like an interesting project. But don't you need a special license for an AK-47 or the Remington shotgun ? 

@Lind_L_Taylor: Are you preparing for a zombie apocalypse ? :p

@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" Not really. I don't really have an interest in guns. "Interest in guns". What does that even entail? Is that, like, when you unscrew a firearm and polish all its internal parts and wax them and grease them up or whatever? I can't imagine people having display cabinets full of guns. Guns strike me as tools. They are to be used in certain situations, and rarely, if ever, for good. One wouldn't line up a display case of wrenches. (Or maybe one would, who knows.)  That story also strikes me as bogus. Can't you get arrested for saying "I want to headshot [people]" while you're buying a firearm? There's gotta be a law against that. "

I'm pretty sure the story is real (though it might be a bit dramatized for effect). I'm not sure if it's a reportable crime to say you want to headshot people because honestly, that's like reporting stupidity. Also, the store owners are usually smart enough to recognize idiots like these and promptly kick them out.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

It sparked a little interest because I began to recognize a few. But I still don't like them as objects.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By harrisonave

No.  Real guns increased my interest in real guns.  My room mate and his father-in-law are gun freaks, and that shit is contagious.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TwoOneFive

yes.  
i am enlisting soon anyways. 

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mano521

not gonna lie. ive always wanted to fire a gun. 
and when mw2 was comin out, i started lookin up all the different guns that would be in it. firing tests and such. 
im over it though. it was mostly a fling of fancy, if thats the right expression

Joker_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joker_777

I'm Britsh. So...no.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37  Edited By MachoFantastico

Guns don't particularly interest me, though I have always wanted to fire some of the weapons of World War 2. 

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Dalai

I can't see myself even shooting a real gun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By ajamafalous
@Killjoi said:
"Finally the owner asked what the kid was looking for to which he replied "I just want to headshot some noobs! Like in Halo!" "
Oh, come on. This story can't be real.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pause422

No, I always has an interest in guns.

Avatar image for phantom_gardener
Phantom_Gardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Phantom_Gardener

No, not really

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By luce

It kinda works the other way around for me. Before I played any FPS my dream was to fire a gun but those games kinda got that out of my system.

Arsenal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Arsenal86

It has increased my interest in guns but games have educated me a bit on guns
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spaceturtle

What?@Seppli said:

" Nope - everytime I think of guns, I think of how easy it is to get shot in games (and the lack of respawns in real life). I don't want to get shot. It's like getting punched, only much much much more powerful. Your body will actually 'BREAK' from the force of impact.  I once saw a man get hit by a car. His body was broken. He squealed inhumanly. Still gives me nightmares. I never want to get shot. I don't want to break anybody's body, nor do I want my body to be broken by a gun. The world would be better off with guns being only virtual.  Real guns suck donkey balls. "
Good man! A reply based on intelligence and logic, as well as personal expiriance.

No, but seriously, duder, great reply ;)
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Sort of in a way. I think however it was my love for playing with G.I. Joe's as a kid that got me into the whole love for guns. 

Never fired a real gun in years though, guess us Europeans just don't have the privilege that you Americans have! Closest i have got here was an Air-soft gun.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crystalskull2

No. Games made me hate them.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Meowayne

Thank the heavens I was born and raised in Europe.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Diamond

Actually yea.  On one hand I think they should be outlawed, on the other hand some games have made me want to own an awesome assault rifle.

Videogames were a US military invention, after all.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#49  Edited By Yummylee

Somewhat, same amount of extra interest as the movies i grew up with did
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Djeffers03

dude, im a teenager, I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN GUNS!