Did something happen to Dan's WWE job?

exrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By exrian

Listening to the first episode of his new podcast (Fire Escape) and when he mentions his job after leaving GBE, he is reluctant to talk about it. To be fair I don't really know what his actual job was after GB but I thought he was like a behind the scenes guy at WWE. Could be 100% incorrect.

Did something go wrong?

bizit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the WWE is fairly strict about outside ventures and he does not want to stir anything up. Probably just cautionary due to contracts or something.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I think it’s more of a regular job where you’re encouraged to not talk about the business

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty normal, really. I wouldn't pop on here and say "Hey, guys, I work for [insert company name here] and we just signed on this new customer!" Kinda frowned upon by any employer.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By AV_Gamer

I don't know if Vince McMahon has anything personal to do with Dan's time with WWE, but based on years of rumors, he is a control freak and is quick to sue a person if they break any of the rules or contractual agreements, and he usually wins.

Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WWE has a no outside business when you're working for them policy when their whole business is reliant on what they call "independent contractors". Basically WWE wants absolute control over their employees and any work they do is to generate money for WWE. It's a scumbag company.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's also a massive mark.

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By Undeadpool

Well, their wrestlers aren't allowed to have ANY outside/third party incomes, so I imagine even their backstage employees have some shackles on what they can and can't talk about.

I remember Jared Rea on the Power Bombcast a few times getting VERY vocal and verbal, despite having a job with them and...he didn't have that job long, as I recall.

Dan's still showing up on the New Day podcast (at least for their March Madness episodes), so it seems like it's going well for him.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@zoofame: But they all do watch it - the big shows anyway. For as shitty a company as it is and how their "independent contractors" are barely treated like human beings with no regard for their health or safety you'd think the WWE would be a dumpster fire that most people would avoid mentioning and yet it seems like half of the games media go wild when a Wrestlemania rolls around.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CurseOfTheWise

@zoofame: You, uh...seem like you got another ax altogether to grind, there.

From what I can tell: Dan's doing great and some people, especially on this site, are being REALLY weird about that in one direction or another.

@humanity To say nothing of their Saudi relationship and more being stuff that Dan was never going to talk about even BEFORE he went and worked for them (not his thing, absolutely fine, don't hold it against him), soooooo...I personally love when GB or Waypoint really rake them over the coals. With how much the games industry is allowed to get away with, we don't need to use kid gloves on ANOTHER broken industry.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan’s got a new podcast? Good to know.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I imagine if he were to talk about WWE, in places that aren't specifically targeting WWE fans, it'd invite a lot of people shit talking WWE, like in this thread. Rightfully so, in my opinion, the people running that company suck, but probably best for him not to invite that onto his employer.

Also, wrestling is just a weird place to work in. If there aren't spoken rules as to what he's allowed to talk about, I'm sure there are unspoken ones. Especially for non-wrestler in the wrestling business. It's probably just easier to not talk about any of it.

Fluidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fluidk

While I’m not a wrestling fan, from what I know about it, it makes complete sense that he couldn’t talk about it. Its a show that pretends to be real. What could he say that wouldn’t damage that precarious identity.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigsocrates  Online

@fluidk: In 2021 it does not "pretend to be real" outside of the product itself, any more than a Hollywood movie "pretends to be real." Look up The Broken Skull Sessions and The Undertaker's Last Ride as proof that kayfabe is completely and utterly dead. WWE produces a lot of content that is very open about what wrestling is.

As a company it just doesn't like its employees doing outside work and it wants corporate control over any discussion of itself. This is actually not rare for corporate workplaces. No large corporation wants its employees just sounding off about their jobs off the cuff.

I don't think that we should be speculating about the status of a former Giant Bomb staff member's current employment. It feels gross. Let Dan share what he feels comfortable sharing. The only way that his WWE employment status would be relevant is if he were talking about wrestling video games (or wrestling in general I guess).

Chillster7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Fire Escape Cast was great, definitely worth checking out if you haven’t yet. I didn’t expect them to go 3.5 hours on the first one. Keeping business and pleasure separate makes sense.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

@zoofame: But they all do watch it - the big shows anyway. For as shitty a company as it is and how their "independent contractors" are barely treated like human beings with no regard for their health or safety you'd think the WWE would be a dumpster fire that most people would avoid mentioning and yet it seems like half of the games media go wild when a Wrestlemania rolls around.

An uncomfortable amount of people still very much enjoy wrestling, warts and all.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think everyone is right...

• WWE Corporate culture probably doesn't encourage your personal podcast to mentioning them
  • It been 15 months of Covid-19 and I rather think the lack of huge numbers of live participants and the ability to cross-promote with live audiences has slowed/altered WWE's plans in some ways.
  • The McMahon family is ultra conservative. I don't think Dan is, in fact Dan likely came into Giant Bomb as a centrist and left leaving further left than he would have first imagined. When you employer and you differ political you just don't talk much about what they are doing and what you are doing.
CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluidk said:

While I’m not a wrestling fan, from what I know about it, it makes complete sense that he couldn’t talk about it. Its a show that pretends to be real. What could he say that wouldn’t damage that precarious identity.

No one has thought this for at least 20 years, Vince McMahon himself held a press conference and admitted, publicly, that wrestling is fake. There were people who wanted him dead for it, literally dead, but this has not been a thing in the community since the early '90s, and after '98 it has entirely fallen by the wayside.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curseofthewise: Yes and no

Even as kids on the playground we knew wrestling was fake (WWF and WCW are like, 90% fake but ECW is only 70% fake!!!)

But especially over the past decade or two there has been a shift to try to blur that line. A lot of it can probably go back to CM Punk (now that is a man who could sell bridges) but there have been other "reality blurring" moments like Daniel Bryan being a douche to the Miz (who more or less spent the better part of a decade getting shit on even harder than he already had been) or the various twitter feuds that defined post-steampunk Becky Lynch and other stuff. It is how you appeal to the smark crowd. Let them in on it so that they feel REALLY smart for reading between the lines of the storyline they are watching.

And while it ebbs and flows, WWE does get weird if people break kayfabe too much on twitter. I have no idea what New Day is doing now (other than splitting off Big E for some reason) but if Dan lets slip that they were hanging out with The Miz and then the big storyline that month ends up being Kofi Vs The Miz it will be "all over the dirt sheets". Or, even worse, Kofi doesn't go up against The Miz and some misogynistic shitbag decides to heavily imply it was because of a leak while explaining that "plans change".

Its no different than any other industry outside of being under a much bigger spotlight. As part of my job I am privy to some pretty cool stuff and, as a result, there are topics I just do not touch with a ten foot pole in social situations because the risk of violating NDA, or being thought to have violated NDA, is too high.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

@zoofame: LMAO! I notice this myself. Alex and Jeff are especially guilty. They act like they don't follow or care about the WWE, but always watch the big events like Summerslam and Westlemania and then talk about it.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ToughShed

Dan doesn't talk about his job on stream either. Not the company way pal, especially if you are behind the scenes.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm honestly surprised that Dan has all this freedom to do other stuff while working for WWE. Not just timewise, but I assumed making money on Twitch or Patreon or something would be instantly shut down.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I honestly thought Dan left WWE because of how quiet he is about it. Didn't realize they were so strict!

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Dan has had some videos up here and there with the New Day, and my understanding is that that is most of his job...producing their podcast. So I'm guessing even if WWE wasn't type-lipped, there wouldn't be all that much to say.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not entirely sure how I'd feel about a forum of speculation pertinent to things people feel I'd rather not discuss...

This seems like an exercise in tactlessness with little or no value.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BrainScratch

I forgot the exact details, but in one of his earlier streams he said something about how his bosses allow him to freely do his own streams, podcasts, etc. as long as he doesn't talk about his day-job and keeps everything separate.

@sethmode said:

I know Dan has had some videos up here and there with the New Day, and my understanding is that that is most of his job...producing their podcast. So I'm guessing even if WWE wasn't type-lipped, there wouldn't be all that much to say.

This is a really weird speculation. Dan's job isn't public-facing like when he was on GB and we don't know what he's allowed to share. Just because he posts a New Day clip once in a while, it absolutely does not mean that's all he does. Devaluing and downplaying a person's work based on the very little information known about them is just being unnecessarily disrespectful.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ToughShed

@csl316 said:

I'm honestly surprised that Dan has all this freedom to do other stuff while working for WWE. Not just timewise, but I assumed making money on Twitch or Patreon or something would be instantly shut down.

the reason that can happen is WWE owns the wrestlers fake wrestling names, character, and their appearances in different media forms also can be in their contract. I'm sure there's nothing like that for behind the scenes stuff and the only reason it would come up is if you went out there talking the behind the scenes WWE business, which Dan avoids like the plague.

Not saying I agree with any of that btw, just the shitty logic.

Bruce Pritchard is the head guy running the shows basically and still has his awful podcast going.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

he also produces the live shows actually too as part of his job. but they haven't been running obviously. but Dan will be traveling for that as part of his job too.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SethMode

@brainscratch: I don't know where on Earth you got the crazy assumptions you made out of my post. I'm simply saying not seeing Dan be constantly front facing doesn't mean his job is in trouble, it probably just means a lot of his work just isn't front facing right now. How that, to you, became me making huge speculations about his job or devaluing what he does is beyond me.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: right, I just meant right now just because there isn't a lot of stuff that he's on or active in doesn't mean his job is in jeopardy. Obviously he started at a very weird time, I was just giving a casual example of evidence that he's not in any trouble, that's all.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ripelivejam

Wrestling confounds, disgusts, and captivates me all at once as an outsider. I feel the magic would be lost if I started following it and didn't hear about it second hand. Macho Man was the best tho.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer: Funniest part to me is that Alex says he pays closer attention to AEW, yet gets basic AEW details wrong (who is on the roster and so on).

To me it's genuinely sad that his employment constrains his ability to talk about WWE/wrestling. That's his biggest passion, even compared to video games. Dan has always been a curious juxtaposition of being ignorant of regular human stuff, but having encyclopaedic knowledge of wrestling. It was his wrestling knowledge that always showed he wasn't just a dumb guy, just an incredibly focused. He would always light up when he got to talk to Vinny or Abby about some weird minutiae that happened decades ago. Now, his smile and optimism: gone.

RaynorShine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris said:

@av_gamer:

Now, his smile and optimism: gone.

Idk, the dude still seems to still have plenty of smiles and optimism.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: Of course they're not going out there and saying, "It's all fake, who cares?" because that doesn't benefit anyone, any more than Chris Evans opening a talkshow with, "You know I'm not REALLY a time displaced super soldier, right?" But the person I was referring to seems to think it's still like the days of Hulk Hogan choking out Richard Belzer and Vader getting jailed in Kuwait for grabbing a talkshow host for saying it's fake.

Everyone knows it's a business at this point, even CM Punk's p-p-p-p-p-pp-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-PIPEBOMB was shilling the next PPV and the product.

@av_gamer said:

@zoofame: LMAO! I notice this myself. Alex and Jeff are especially guilty. They act like they don't follow or care about the WWE, but always watch the big events like Summerslam and Westlemania and then talk about it.

Guilty??? Of what, having outside interests??

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raynorshine:I know. I just had to meme. It was just there for the taking and I took the chance.

@curseofthewise: Guilty of pretending they don't care about WWE or follow it, but very much do even if they say otherwise.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a long thread already, but I remember Dan saying randomly, more or less, “I talk about wrestling all day long. People at Giant Bomb who hate how much I talked about wrestling, guess what, I never talk about it anymore”.

Part of it felt like it was in the context of he has a full time job focused on the WWE and when he’s off work, he doesn’t talk about work. Don’t think it’s some super, duper secret stuff, outside of general common sense “Hey, don’t talk about XYZ” with people outside the company, which basically every company has to some extent.

It’s probably not that big of a deal.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By archer88

@hansberg said:

Pretty normal, really. I wouldn't pop on here and say "Hey, guys, I work for [insert company name here] and we just signed on this new customer!" Kinda frowned upon by any employer.

Yeah, this is very common. At my previous job they encouraged me not to speak too freely about who our customers were and what we did for them. At my current job I can't even tell my spouse who my clients are. Tight NDAs and lots of potential to get into trouble. Such is life working for a big corporation.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I've always worked jobs with big confidentiality in mind. Even if I wasn't tied by that, the work I do just isn't that interesting.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By bybeach

I, for one asks; What does Dan know, and when did he know it?

The Truth is out there.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: I don't CARE about WWE, but it's easy to "follow" if you have friends or casual acquaintances who do. "Following" and "watching weekly" are VERY different beasts.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

The truth is Dan has been lying and never worked for WWE. He's been living, month-to-month, as a Pogs hustler.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bigsocrates  Online

I love that this topic has gotten back on the top of the forums on a day when Dan was literally in a video on the WWE official Youtube channel 2 hours ago.

Loading Video...

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers