Did you realize this when you first saw this game?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Did you realize this when you first saw this game? (259 votes)

Yes, right away - watch the video and then read the spoiler tag before voting. 35%
Yes, during the first half of the gameplay - watch the video and then read the spoiler tag before voting. 28%
Yes, but not until the second half - watch the video and then read the spoiler tag before voting. 22%
No, not until the very end - watch the video and then read the spoiler tag before voting. 8%
I can't fairly answer. This was spoiled for me, or I spoiled myself. 7%

Sorry for the vague thread title, but that's kind of the point.

If you watched the Sony E3 conference, read the spoiler and vote now.

If you didn't watch the conference, first watch the gameplay from the point I've set it to start, then read the spoiler, and then vote.

Watched the video? Then at what point did you realize what game this is? I only ask because,

I've seen a number of posts from people who say that they were tricked by this video, and had no idea what game this was until the end. The same happend for me, and I was wondering how often that was the case. Perhaps because it was set after a bunch of VR trailers, but I was thinking this was a VR game, and it surprised me quite a bit when I found out what it really is.

Also, I'm aware I didn't post this in the proper thread, but I'm hoping it will be acceptable in this instance, considering that's kind of the point. Hopefully the moderators will agree.

• 
Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wasn't watching the GB stream so I don't know if they said what it was on there but I didn't get that this was COD until the title card. I thought it looked like a super polished VR game and thought it looked rad. I also thought "I wouldn't mind playing this out of VR actually" and then when I saw it was COD, both mine and my girlfriends jaws dropped and I thought "Well I'm totally in for buying this game".

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It was pretty obvious to me. I chose "Yes, during the first half of the gameplay". It took me a little bit, then I realised that it had to be Call of Duty. I mean, who else could turn sci-fi into a generic military shooter?

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mrcraggle

It was certainly confusing. I was like this looks like the new CoD but aren't we looking at VR stuff right now?

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ditto

It was certainly confusing. I was like this looks like the new CoD but aren't we looking at VR stuff right now?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know but ita the first cod game ive been interested in since mw2

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to cast too much of a stereotype here, but I knew it the moment a character was called Reyes. Or Ryes, it was one of the two.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

This thread is super super generic, but I knew it was COD pretty quickly. The only thing that I was wondering was if they had a VR dog fighting game / tie-in with Infinite Warfare.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Franstone

Right away, the enemy from the first trailer (bald dude) was shown in the upper left corner of the screen right at the start.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Once they hopped out of the ship and I saw the red dot sight. I'm still wondering if it'll support VR.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching it with the GB commentary, and even though they were talking about CoD fairly early on I wasn't sure until they started shooting guns. Good on them though for making a game that breaks the mold enough to not be instantly recognizable.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the Giant Bomb stream they figured out it was COD pretty quickly so I can't vote.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I at first thought this was VR too and thought "Wow they totally figured out movement and made a full fledged VR FPS" before realizing it was just space CoD when tons of CoD-y stuff happened a few moments in. Sure looks like CoD.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Everything about it screamed Call of Duty. Same motion, same animations, same style, same logic. As soon as the lead hit the combat preparation area I knew my suspicions were correct.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but I noticed the game way after they launched the ships.

It sure was confusing. It was right after a long "VR block", and there was no one from Activision or Sony to introduce it. To add to the confusion, at the beginning it looked like an onrail demo sequence, the kind Sony was calling "a VR experience" with FF 15, Star Wars and Batman...

Musai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured it out when I saw the "Press LS to launch Raptor" or whatever thing.

Man, I liked SO MUCH about that Sony presser, but I feel like the lack of presenters on the stage caused it to fall apart after the VR block. It needed a few people to move things along between sections.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

This guy covers the COD community for a living, and even he didn't realize it at first:

Loading Video...

I almost have to wonder if this was intentional, given the VERY poor response to the initial trailer. Not to get too tin foil hat here, but if someone went as far as setting this after the PS VR section and intentionally decided to hide the fact that they weren't showing VR games anymore, that was genius.

Announce that you're going to show the new COD, everyone gets super cynical and puts their guard up. Make people think they might be seeing an unannounced PS VR game, and you have their full attention and a bias-free impression of the game itself. If that's the case, whoever thought of doing this deserves a substantial raise.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

I suspected from the moment it went first-person and the characters layed out some military jargon, and knew once the picture of the old guy popped up.

GAME LOOKS SO RAD.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By crithon

well it was when a friend of mine went "when will VR end?" And then I replied "No, I think this is CoD, the space ships kinda look like that from the announcement trailer."

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much immediately. I knew CoD would be at the Sony press conference and it was military stuff in space.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I haven't played COD since 2011 and I knew it was COD when I saw the red dot sight.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

As soon as they said the name "Reyes" I was suspicious. Then they really got started and I was like "yep, COD".

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

When they said "Go, Go, Go" during the space dogfighting, I thought to myself oh yeah CoD is in Space this year

But what I wasn't sure is if this was VR add on thing like FFXV's or if it was just regular CoD. Eventually I thought the movement was too intense to be VR.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Almost immediately. At 1:17:54 in the top left corner there that bald guy was in a bunch of pre-announcement hype kinda stuff that tied into the Nuk3town map in Black Ops 3. So once I saw him I knew exactly what they were showing.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

It was the breathless pacing paired with high-end production values that immediately evoked COD in my mind. The busy and detailed environments, rapid-fire chatter from characters, the player being rushed from scene to scene, and especially the total absence of breathing time in which to take it all in reminded me very distinctly of previous COD games/demos.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was pretty sure it was CoD almost immediately because of the generic gruff sounding military guys and dog fights in space ships were already known to be in Infinite Warfare. The transition to FPS pretty much solidified it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

What put me off thinking it was COD immediately was the random mission objective thing at the start? It's like, press to set waypoint, as if it is implying you could set something else as your waypoint instead. Given that COD has always been linear that threw me off, as well as that funky star map. What confirmed it as COD was when he started walking with that gun, and finally once he got in the spaceship it was so familiar to the trailer of the space combat I was sure.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By monkeyking1969

Interestingly after the character stepped in the cockpit I knew ist was CoD I just remembered that CoD has space flight in it. But, even knowing that I was impressed with how good it was looking, I didn't expect it too feel like fleshed-out part of the game, yet seeing that space combat in that 'flash way' made it clear at least to me it was CoD.

I think they flashiness and -boom boom boom- of action sequences gave it away. Epic set pieces that move fast...

Jakracer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it first started i noticed the characters looked like generic military, so i thought "this must be call of duty,or something".As the trailer went on, and it got cooler the idea that it might be COD was far away, until about halfway through the part with the military guys shooting.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much from the moment the door opened and the voice message happened. I guess that means right away?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I knew straight away because an image of the dude from the teaser trailer pops up in the HUD a few seconds in. Plus, everything about it screamed space Call of Duty.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I knew right away but I can't tell you how exactly. It just looked like Call of Duty and I knew the action was taking place in space.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah pretty much right away, I voted for first half of gameplay, but it just looked like cod immediately. Somehow those games just have that air about them.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering what it was, but figured it out right as the ships launched. I thought maybe it was another space VR thing, but then they launched, the other ships appeared and I went "Oh wait didn't the CoD ships look like this?".

And then they shot those dudes and blasted those bridge windows while the guys inside went "Oh shit run!".

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I realized it as soon as they started hopping into the fighters. I also don't expect Call of Duty to suddenly make a hard left turn and actually go through all the way with this type of change. I'll bet that 95% of the game is pretty much the same old ground-based shooting. It wouldn't be the first time Call of Duty focused heavily on a new mechanic, gameplay change or even story elements within a single-player trailer and then have there be almost nothing there upon release.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

I think pretty much right away; it may have taken a few seconds. What gave it away was the visuals; how things animated, be it the friendly A.I. next to you, or the way your characters arm opens the door. It surprised me when I went back to watch the GB crew watch the press conference to not know right off the bat, still thinking it was VR, though I suppose the fact Sony didn't say they were done with VR they may think that.