Digital Downloads: Great thing, or the Greatest thing?

Burden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Burden

What do you guys think of the idea of having future consoles that solely work on digital downloads, with no physical media to speak of?  I believe at one point Microsoft claimed that they intended for their next Xbox to be based on digital downloads but that seems like it would cut off a large part of the consumer base.

Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Anonymous

Digital distribution is great, but there are quite a few things you will probably never be able to do with DD, like lending them out. Not everyone has access to them either, so physical copies will be the main form of games for the next several years.

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

haha consoles have crappy hard-drives, no.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Vaxadrin

Greatest thing.  Physical media deteriorates, but data can be transferred between servers as console generations go on.  Eventually we'll have something like the virtual console for everything from Atari to PS3.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By weltal

As long as the hard drives of the consoles are expanded quite a bit than it's the greatest thing. If not....well that would be extremely unfortunate.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rowr

The greatest.

well you would think so wouldnt you?

Phantom

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Teh_Eel

The greatest thing. Going to be a while till there is a console that everything is sold through downloads because not every one has there console online yet and people still like to buy a physical thing.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Otacon

Ah the Phantom... 

To be honest, I prefer most of my stuff to be on a solid medium.
DanCarmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DanCarmichael

Am I the only one that likes to actually have a physical box and disc for my games? It's good to be able to clearly see your collection of games on the shelf.

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jlaudio7
DanCarmichael said:
"Am I the only one that likes to actually have a physical box and disc for my games? It's good to be able to clearly see your collection of games on the shelf.

"
Im with you on that.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Vaxadrin
DanCarmichael said:
"Am I the only one that likes to actually have a physical box and disc for my games? It's good to be able to clearly see your collection of games on the shelf."
I prefer to select them from a menu.  Much less hassle.  It also doesn't freak out lady guests when  you have bookshelves upon bookshelves of game boxes.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush

For me it would be a horrible thing. I prefer physical media in every aspect and hope that the day never comes where it's solely a digital download business. I wouldn't mind if they had both options, but I don't want to be forced into the digital download group.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Patchinko

Give me affordable solid state hard drives and all downloadable content.

It's past time we stopped relying on optical media and got comfortable with a petabyte world integrated seemlessly through the Internet.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru

Not great at all. I prefer physical media. Unfortunately, if the world survives long enough, I think we'll be seeing digital downloads becoming the only way to obtain something... This is probably 10 years down the road, but it's slowly starting to convert already.

Man, I'm really going to miss boxes and manuals for future games and movies. :(

Stacy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stacy87

I think today's consoles aren't really capable of handling it, but I'm sure the next generation will make it pretty awesome!

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vlademir

We would need massive hard drives, people would find a way to just copy everything to their HDD for free, and it's just more comforting knowing if anything happens, you still have a hard copy of the game. Digital downloads are nice, but I don't think they should be the way of the future.

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zebadee

I think we should stop physical distribution of software, It would encourage ISPs to increase the speed of internet connections for the average user plus save a lot resources.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Absurd

no credit card=Not good for me

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its a great idea. both physical copies and digital download have their advantages and disadvantages, whichever you choose should depend on your circumstances.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By zeus_gb

Both disks and download have their advantages and disadvantages.  I for one wouldn't want to see games not appearing on CD/DVD anymore.

Physical disks can be used on any PC and any specific type of console.  Digital downloads are often tied to an account or a specific console.  Digital downloads are great but I want to see more flexibility.

Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justaddwater

Its great, I used to use metaboli a while ago and enjoyed it, however I cant live without having a nice shiny row of boxes on my shelf :)

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By coakroach

As someone who now lives with very poor internet and has had a history of having very poor internet, this isn't very appealing.
Also it would probably ruin a lot of retail industries, especially if movies took a similar step.
Its a good idea, I don't think everyone is quite ready for it yet

Burden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Burden

I'm thinking that digital distribution could really be beneficial to small indie developers ala Braid obviously, with big ideas but without the backing to get much further.  On the other hand, Braid really is one in a million compared the vast majority of other crap the gets released on the arcade.  It might be better to just keep physical media as simply a barrier of entry to prevent everyone and their brother from trying to make their own game and diluting the system.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Karmum
Rowr said:
"The greatest.

well you would think so wouldnt you?

Phantom
"
Oh god, don't remind me of the Phantom.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By AuthenticM

I like being able to buy used games. I like being able to rent games. I like having a collection of video games on my bookshelf.