Disco Elysium or Outer Wilds?

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll: Disco Elysium or Outer Wilds? (95 votes)

Disco 59%
Wilds 41%

I'll probably only have time to play one more game before GOTY, curious what people thought.

I love a good CRPG, but the way people whisper about the cool surprises and Majora's Mask structure of Outer Wilds has got me really intrigued.

• 
SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SethMode

This is really hard. I am currently playing DE and really enjoying it. I loved OW to a point and then got frustrated with what it asks of you, especially in the end game. The ship controls in general also made me a little crazy in some segments where a tiny mistake can mean waiting 20 minutes to play again. However, it has so much charm and spirit.

The two could not be more different. I would say if you like CRPGs a lot go with DE. OW is worth playing but if there can be only one I think OW has a much higher likelihood to bounce off of someone or frustrate them.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They're both very good, but I found outer wilds wore out it's welcome pretty fast, where Disco Elysium had me enraptured until credits rolled

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I bounced off Outer Wilds, so Disco Elysium. ;)

takayamasama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By takayamasama

Disco is maybe one of the most funny games I've ever played, and it was super intriguing up until the end. The very end was a slight disappointment to me, but I still think it's a fantastic package and I was consumed by it for an entire weekend.

Outer Wilds, on the other hand, I'm not yet done with, and honestly I don't know if I'm smart enough at those types of games to beat it without a guide. I really, really like what I've played of it though, so want to avoid a guide if possible just to avoid spoilers. The game is a marvelous creation though, and I absolutely love the art design and music in the game.

Right now I'll vote for Disco since I've finished that game and also had a wonderful time, but they are both fantastic. I don't think you could go wrong.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wilds bummed me out real hard by the time I got to Monarch, and it never improved. It just felt too much like all those style of games that came before it, but without a lot of the fun freedoms that the older ones had. It might be my most disappointing game of this year.

Wrong "Outer" game. That's Outer Worlds!

What a weird coincidence this year.

takayamasama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Gosh darnit, I've done it before here and I'll do it again. I appreciate the correction duder.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By glots

@takayamasama: Worlds, you mean.

I hope someone makes a tracker for every time a staff member mixes up Wilds and Worlds during the GOTY discussions.

Edit: Woops, I was late with my correction.

-

Haven’t personally played either, I kinda feel like I’d bounce off both with my current taste in vidya games.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SethMode

@takayamasama: haha no problem. I've done the same. I recommended Outer Wilds to my wife at one point, and since then have mixed and matched the two so many times she is DEFINITELY going to end up playing Worlds.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disco Elysium it is, thanks for the help guys.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@theflamingo352: Fantastic choice! I love that game and am very likely to go for another playthrough soon. Haven't played Outer Worlds yet though.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Disco Elysium is truly unique and one of my favorite games ever but keep in mind that like 70% is just reading, and the rest is clicking to get the next bit of text to read.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Until they remove the time loop mechanic in Outer Wilds I'll choose Disco.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By haneybd87

Disco Elysium is so far and away the better choice here. I haven’t been this in love with a game in years. I was fully expecting to fall off this game like 5 hours in like so many other CRPGs but what I didn’t realize is just how unique this game is, it really is doing something completely new. Outer Wilds feels like just another “walking simulator” with some space flight mechanics thrown in. Nothing about it feels very special or interesting. Both games are very heavily reading focused but Outer Wilds feels very passive, while Disco Elysium is highly involved, it actually managed to turn dialogue into a worthwhile and in depth game mechanic which hasn’t really been done before. Mass Effect was probably the closest thing that’s been done but it doesn’t hold a candle to Disco Elysium. Anyways, words cannot express how bored I was with Outer Wilds.