DJ Hero Finally a Reality!!!

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Terrell

So I was looking over at Kotaku.com, and came across a post about a new  DJ Hero game by Activision and FreeStyleGames.

The article talks mostly about the Turntable controller peripheral that is going to be used with the game, but also mentions that the game will also be compatible with guitar controllers, which makes sense.

The most exciting thing, to ME at least, is that it seems that developers are finally getting that there are people who like Hip-Hop AND Videogames, so making a Hip-Hop themed music game is something I've been waiting for for a LONG time. (I Even Blogged about it right here on Giantbomb.)  Here's hoping that: (1) the track-list is good, and (2) the gameplay is great as well. Also, hopefully they don't fill they game with a bunch of stereotypical rap guys with Afros. "Because guess with Afros and chains have style and funk right? Right?" (sigh).

So what do you all think about a Hip-Hop Themed Music Game? (Hopefully you are excited like me!)

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By dsplayer1010

This genre is really getting out of hand.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Otacon

I heard yonks back about this name being copyrighted, sounds insane. You're right though Terrell, its good that more music than rock is going to be available to rhythm games.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Terrell

exactly, its all about musical diversity. Get more people into different types of music and different genres of music games.

Hopefully they get people who are really into Hip-Hop culture, and who really live in the Hip-Hop culture and lifestyle, much like they brag about having people from alot of bands work on the Rock themed games...

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demyx

Sounds interesting.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Otacon

Yeah, well being Activision and the game being called DJ Hero, they will probably take the same kind of route but with a Hip Hop focus.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clean

this is an insult to dj's across the nation like myself. Fuck that

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Terrell
Clean said:
"this is an insult to dj's across the nation like myself. Fuck that"
Why do you feel that way? I'm not being an internet jerk or anything, I'm just asking for an honest opinion...
Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Psynapse

On the note of what Clean said, If thats an insult to DJ's, then GH/RB is an insult to singers, guitarists, drummers alike...

I am a DJ myself, not a hip hop dj, but a trance one... I think this wouldn't be such a bad game, but i don't really like hip hop... personally i dont think that the market is big enough for a game like this... (although it would be cool :P)

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Terrell
Psynapse said:
"On the note of what Clean said, If thats an insult to DJ's, then GH/RB is an insult to singers, guitarists, drummers alike...

I am a DJ myself, not a hip hop dj, but a trance one... I think this wouldn't be such a bad game, but i don't really like hip hop... personally i dont think that the market is big enough for a game like this... (although it would be cool :P)"
I dont know, I have to disagree that the market isn't big enough, seeing as how that the two most liked genre's of music these days is Hip-Hop and Rock (one of which already has a music game). It's just the natural progression of music games IMO.  Would there alot of people "against" this game? Yes sure, but most of those people would be against it for reasons not at all pertaining to the actual gameplay ("Rap is Crap", "Hip-Hop is all about violence and drugs, like rock music isn't, lol etc, etc..." )

All in all though, I think it could be pretty successful. Will it sell as must as Guitar Hero III on it's first outing? Probably not, but that is because that have to build and SUPPORT the brand, and not just throw it out there as a cheap way to cash in...
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Rap is not my kind of music and for that reason I won't be buying it. However they seem to have been very inventive with the difficult task of implementing a peripheral like a turntable into the game. I'm not sure how this will sell compared to other of todays popular rhythm games, in fact comparitively I'm not expecting too much from the sales, but it looks like it could be a genuinely good game if made properly. However I think this game will almost undoubtedly be full of hip-hop stereotypes just as Guitar Hero was filled with rocker stereotypes.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By dj

As you could probably guess from my name, I think that would be sick!

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Terrell
Dj said:
"As you could probably guess from my name, I think that would be sick!"
Just to let you know, your user icon is FIRE for real!
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Black_Rose

This game combines two of the things i hate the most: Hip-Hop and rhythm games.

so no

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Terrell
Black_Rose said:
"This game combines two of the things i hate the most: Hip-Hop and rhythm games.

so no"
So....why did you comment in this thread then???

I KEED I KEED!!  I know I asked for opinions!

but seriously though...
HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Sorry but I cant really see this working out well but maybe Im wrong

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Rose
Terrell said:

but seriously though..."
Seriously:

Terrell
said:
"So what do you all think about a Hip-Hop Themed Music Game? (Hopefully you are excited like me!)"

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Terrell
Black_Rose said:
"Terrell said:

but seriously though..."
Seriously:

Terrell
said:
"So what do you all think about a Hip-Hop Themed Music Game? (Hopefully you are excited like me!)"

"
that last line was a joke, lol
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Black_Rose
Terrell said:
"that last line was a joke, lol"
Huh?

sorry but i can't find any sense in your sentence
Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Terrell
Black_Rose said:
"Terrell said:
"that last line was a joke, lol"
Huh?

sorry but i can't find any sense in your sentence"
the last line that I wrote, when I said "but seriously though..." that was a joke......you know what, nevermind.....

Back on track, I'm truly interested in getting a chance to (hopefully) mix some old-school songs, because I'm sure downloadable content will play a huge role.  As long as the gameplay feels good and fresh, I'm on board!!!
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Black_Rose

Isn't just better to buy a turntable? really? that's like making piano hero.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Terrell
Black_Rose said:
"Isn't just better to buy a turntable? really? that's like making piano hero."
Not necessarily...  You could make the same argument about actually buying a guitar instead of guitar hero... they are all complex instruments in real life.

The key of the turn-table peripheral (as well as the guitar) is to make the "act" of performing songs fun, not necessarily realistic...  I know that in the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games when the game or people start talking about Hammer Ons or Hammer Offs, or the neck of the Guitar or other technical terms like that, I have no idea what they are talking about (I still don't know what any of that means, though I know what a fill is from general beat making). But I can still see how people can have fun with the basic gameplay not knowing what all that crap means.....same thing with other genres of music/music games/ peripherals...

Just my opinion
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jayge_

Yeah, I do make the argument about actually buying a guitar instead of guitar hero. Go figure.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Rose

Playing real intruments >> Playing fake plastic instruments imo, it's just as fun if not more 

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Terrell
Black_Rose said:
"Playing real intruments >> Playing fake plastic instruments imo, it's just as fun if not more "
True, but many people can't play real instruments. And I think that if they get introduced to playing guitar or scratching on a turntable or rapping  through a videogame and then move on to the real thing, its a good thing, even if its only like 10% or less of the people who play that game.

Just think, millions and millions of people play Guitar Hero/Rock Band, and I'm sure most of them don't "like" playing the guitar for real...
Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Terrell

Incase your reading THIS, you might want to check out THIS.

Just incase you are into it.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By Metasin
Black_Rose said:
"Isn't just better to buy a turntable? really? that's like making piano hero."

Actually piano hero would make perfect sense imo. It could be a teaching tool and as long as it isn't ridiculously expensive it would be a great gateway for people who were curious about playing.

I'm skeptical about this dj hero thing though. They were able to do a decent job of  'dumbing down' the guitar for GH&RB but I'm curious what kind of treatment they'll give the tables. I hope it's good but I'll just stick with my numarks.
Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cleric
dsplayer1010 said:
"This genre is really getting out of hand."

My thoughts exactly.

These games are becoming some sort of social phenomena, and as such, cash cows for the gaming companies.

What really pisses me off though is all the crazy rambling on how much you do need technique to get a pro and all that nonsense. Some folks really spend too much time on Guitar Hero and the such...I mean, might as well buy a real guitar and learn how to play it! 

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Pepsiman

A turntable series of game has actually existed for quite sometime, thanks to (who else?) but Konami. It goes by the name of Beatmania and although I'm not really familiar with its song lists from over the years, you might want to look into just to learn how it's been done one way already. North America did get one official release for the PS2, but as far as I know, it's one of the worst installments, so I suppose it's just wise to avoid that particular one. The majority have otherwise been in arcades and Japanese PlayStation systems, I believe.