Do you actually buy used games?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By McGhee

Poll Do you actually buy used games? (988 votes)

Yes, I buy most of my games used. 12%
I buy some of my games used. 49%
I never buy used games. 39%

I know there are still people that buy used games, but I kind of feel that a lot of it is more about the general feeling of wanting the freedom rather than actually playing tons of used games.

I use to buy used games back in the day, but nowadays with the internet you can always find new games at discount soon after release and sometimes right at release.

I don't know why anyone would go into Gamespot and buy their five-dollar-less new used game garbage. This is a pretty slimy practice to me, especially when you think about how little they actually give you now for those trade ins. If you want to sell your game, you'd be much better off just selling it yourself on the internet anyway.

As I said, the bigger thing is about the freedom to do so, but more so, the ability to loan and borrow games from your friends. This is something I have done more recently, but it's not not going to break the backs of game devs.

So I guess what I'm rambling my way to is that the used game and loaning games market is small time and that companies are being petty trying to limit it. You'd think outright piracy is a much bigger problem.

But maybe I'm wrong. That's why I'm throwing up a poll.

• 
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Every once in a while but rarely.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By fattony12000
They ain't exactly pushing out new copies of Blade Runner these days, are they?
They ain't exactly pushing out new copies of Blade Runner these days, are they?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hah, no.
Which is why I'm still confused about this campaign to support Gamestop that people had going on for a while, but if that's the stance people want to take then that's fine by me.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By HerbieBug

Yep. Not from Gamestop though. In Canada at least, the best big box stores for games are Best Buy and Futureshop. Usually Ebay and sometimes Amazon affiliated sellers are my go-to for the used market. I mostly go used for games that have been out a couple months, but not long enough to have received a price drop at retail yet. And of course for games that are out of print and hard to find new.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#155 chaser324  Moderator

@fattony12000: While the limited availability of some older games like that is certainly one of the best reasons to buy used, a lot of those classics are becoming increasingly available through digital storefronts like Steam and GOG. Once digital releases are universal for all titles (which is just about to happen), that defense of the used game market pretty much disappears.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only do it with games that aren't available to purchase by any other means. Basically, never. I voted never.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If I've come to a series late, or in the case of my 3DS come to the console after it as been bout a while then I will generally check eBay to see if I can pick up a games or two cheap.

I didn't really think used mattered to me much as all as I rarely buy them. Then I realised just how many games that I no longer play that I have either passed onto friends, or sold via the noticeboard at work. It's easy to forget that used isn't the exclusive domain of the big games retailers.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By onarum

no, I have a job

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@you_died: 170 for the console used. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into though. Find a trust worthy place to get it. People can scam by replacing hard drives etc.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really buy games at all.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#161  Edited By Mastercheesey

I sell my games to Gamestop and Amazon to afford new games and sometimes I get used games.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I buy some of my games used, but I used to buy a hell of lot of pre-owned games. When I play catch up on a games library, that's where used games come in extremely handy. I wouldn't have been able to build up the library I have right now if I had to buy all those games brand new.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I used to but I stopped a few years back

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All of my PS2 games are used and I have a few PS3 and 360 games used. I bought Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood off Gamefly for less than $15 each and they're in perfect condition. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. Well, I would have bought them new if they cost what I paid for them, but price points like that don't happen too often. If used games function right out of the box in the next generation just as they do today, I'll continue to buy used games. If they don't then I won't buy the franchises. Period. It's not a boycott, I am just saying I won't experiment with game titles at a premium price. When games are cheap I will buy them even if they're not a franchise I feel I absolutely must have. I bought Alan Wake for $4 off Steam. I never considered buying it ever before I saw it for $4. That's impulse buying power.

SolongWrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By SolongWrex

Now that my original Xbox library is more or less complete, I mostly buy new, but rarely on day 1. I might still make a couple of impulse purchases a year if I find myself in a Gamestop and there's something vaguely interesting under €10. At that price point you're not paying that much more for a new game though, so I try to check for those.

I should mention that my city's awesome library system carries fairly recent console releases too. XCOM and Tomb Raider are on my desk right now and I have reservations on Far Cry 3 and Bioshock: Infinite. These four games will cost me a whopping €2 in reservation fees. Pretty good deal. Not for the publisher I suppose, but they still get their royalty checks.

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

yes, from Amazon

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost never, but i sell almost everything when i'm done with it. So i didn't answer the poll.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I haven't bought a used game in over a year.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As primarily a retro gamer, i buy my games exclusivly used

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yup I do and I don't feel bad about it either.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Never unless new copies are impossible to find for reasonable prices.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I do, on occasion. The majority of my games I buy new, but I'd say about one out of every ten games I buy is used.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#173  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

The games I buy used are usually the games I don't feel deserve being bought at full price, so in short, yes I do buy used games not a bunch but its a nice option.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#174  Edited By HellknightLeon

Canned food... yeah.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I rent a lot too.

coolowlbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll use the "keep" option on used games from Gamefly if I like them. And I've bought loads of used NES, SNES, etc... older games just to collect. I do buy most of my games new, though.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#177  Edited By Vonocourt

Yeah, mostly just for games that are hard to find new or when I rack up a couple of those gamefly dollars.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because I love to support developer/publisher which games I enjoy.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

over 50% that sounds about right

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: That assumes the difference is between buying a game used or buying it new. Rather than buying a game used or not buying it at all.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd say it's about 50/50 depending on the month. Summer months are almost always used-game purchases whereas holiday and big release months (like say this past march) are a good chunk new.

gelf513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By gelf513

Not that often, but sometimes a game I want is out of print so new copies are going for high prices on ebay or something. It's cool to hear about a game I missed out on years back, and still be able to play it even though they don't make new copies anymore.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I've only recently bought a console, and been primarily been a PC gamer and thus used to steam: I now basically only buy a CD if there is no way around it. Though to me that is not the point, the point is if you buy something solid, you should be able to sell it like anything else. Even though Sony isn't really fundamentally different from Microsoft, they are sending a different signal, that people should not be treated like unconvicted criminals only waiting to abuse and misuse something if they can (exaggeration I know), and generally be treated like an unthinking mob (though slightly true sometime). I hope they will be forced to change their attitude, it is about trust, trust in the consumer and in relation trust in the company.

It is also Positive psychology.

gomezar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this would count, but one of my best friends and I consistently borrow each others games back and forth. He buys mostly used games. I do not usually but I would have to say that any limitations on his ability to buy and play them would definitely reduce my gaming experiences though the catalyst was indirect.

Zeeco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost always buy new, unless a new copy is excessively expensive or its a retro game.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't buy used games often, but when I do it's usually for a game that's hard to find new anymore. I probably wouldn't of been able to get Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 unless I bought it used.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm just gonna post my reply before reading 4 pages but while I don't buy a lot of used games I do buy some. Usually older titles no longer available or that havent seen a price drop. Most purchases I make are digital right now.

With that said, I also rent a crap ton of games. I use Gamefly, and the Xbox One will not support rentals "at this time". Its a fact. Now when I can only afford one game every couple months but I can afford a Gamefly subscription then I know which system is gonna be more valuble to me.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I almost exclusively buy used games. I don't feel the need to get them brand new at high prices. I don't buy at gamestop though, I buy directly from the previous owner via craigslist.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I buy some used games. Sometimes i've bought used just because the new retail of the games didn't exist anymore because it was a few years old. Other times it's a game i'm unsure about and want to try it out and the retail is still to high, but used it's like 15 bux.

UnlimitedSheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By UnlimitedSheep

I generally only buy games used when I can't find a new copy anywhere. But I also don't buy very many games, maybe one or two a year.

I feel like a lot of people think that those who buy used games are supporting Gamestop, but they aren't the only used game seller. Near where I live, we have a fabulous little store that deals in used games, movies, and music, and they are extremely fair in their exchange practices. Not to mention, they offer a ton of things that are out of print and you just can't get new anymore, and a whole bunch of niche products that the big chain stores don't bother with.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to stop seeing it from the "go to GameStop, save five bucks" perspective. See it from a global perspective where there are not GameStop's everwhere and you buy older games that are out of print or especially cheap years after released used.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By DeF

You need to stop seeing it from the "go to GameStop, save five bucks" perspective. See it from a global perspective where there are not GameStop's everwhere and you buy older games that are out of print or especially cheap years after released used.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By mason20

A thing I personally enjoyed about buying used was sometimes people had actually written stuff down in a the notes sections of the manual. Oh god now they can hardly be called manuals if you get one..

Another is if I bought a game, Fear for example and did not really care too much about it. I will wait until the sequel comes out and too a low enough point of entry where if I got burned by buying the first at full price at least my Fear 2 $10 let down was easy to swallow. Or it's a nice point of entry for a game you know little about/looks terrible but interesting enough to check out.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By ProfessorEss

I bought A LOT of used games back when Blockbuster was around. A lot of games I never would've even considered like Just Cause for 10, The Saboteur for 15 and Saints Row for 20. As a result my 360 catalogue is library than all my previous libraries combined.

Just Cause led me to pre-order my personal 2010 GotY Just Cause 2 (and buy it again on PC) and Saint's Row got me to buy both sequels on day one. I also keep a close eye on everything Volition and Avalanche do as a result. I feel a little bad about Pandemic but The Saboteur was off my radar and would've stayed off forever for 60 bucks.

On top of this "deals" make me much more prone to buying new. If I get a good deal one day I'll often find myself thinking "Screw it, I would've paid 60 bucks for the Saboteur, I'll just pretend I'm payin' 15 for Brink"*.

And before anyone says "Because of people like you they never made My Favourite Game 2!" I'll throw in that I bought Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise new on day one so kiss my ass, they don't make everything I want either :)

*I didn't really buy Brink (I rented it) I just used Brink for dramatic effect.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By ProfessorEss

@mason20 said:

A thing I personally enjoyed about buying used was sometimes people had actually written stuff down in a the notes sections of the manual. Oh god now they can hardly be called manuals if you get one..

lol, I remember renting NES games that would have all the level codes scrawled into the "Notes" pages.

Ahh, those sloppy Megaman code grid drawings :P

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I have bought used was when I couldn't track down a new copy of 'Eternal Sonata' on my PS3 so I had to use Ebay. All 150+ of my PS3 games were bought new and most from an awesome retailer here in the UK called Shopto. They do this awesome loyalty scheme where I earn more store credit the more I spend so I keep buying just to get another £3 credit towards a new game - its a vicious circle :)

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By fisher81

Glyde is usually my go-to for buying and selling used games. I bought Dead Island for 6 or 7 bucks a few months ago.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I buy either used games or wait for their prices to go down on Amazon. If I buy used games I tend to go to shops like CEX (in the UK), they tend to have better deals than places like Game (the equivalent to Gamestop here). I never sell my games though, I always think maybe one day I'll feel like playing them again, I do trade games with my brother every now and then or lend them to friends. Also I like having the collection.