Do you actually enjoy "grinding?"

• 60 results
Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Poll Do you actually enjoy "grinding?" (187 votes)

Yes 9%
No 25%
Depends on the game 66%

That kind of grinding where you are purposefully going back to places you've already been for the sole purpose of leveling up your character/characters, and not doing any side quests or what have you.

• 
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Welcome to real life.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By LackingSaint

Entirely depends on the game, yo.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

If you're enjoying grinding, then you're not really grinding...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Nope.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're enjoying grinding, then you're not really grinding...

100% this. Grinding is only grinding if it becomes a chore to do. Such as dailies in WoW or grinding rep.

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

depends on the game. Always enjoyed it in some of the older final fantasy games - found it fun to break some of the systems by unlocking stuff early :)

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game. On Final Fantasy games, the soundtrack itself made grinding enjoyable though the battle theme started getting bit dull on longer sessions.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

depends on the song

Loading Video...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Well, it depends. If I enjoy the mechanics in place and the area I'm exploring, then yeah a bit of grinding can an enjoyable, mindless activity.

Too much grinding can ruin any game, though.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game. Grinding seems better when the player feels like they've "mastered" the systems and mechanics. It seems like players resent grinding when it becomes the only way to get past an obstacle to get to mastery.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, it was pretty good in Skate 3.

ZAM! KA-POW!

Nah, grinding is pretty terrible, especially in RPG's that don't level up the guys you're not using alongside the guys you are. Going back to early dungeons to level a character up because you need him / her is such a terrible experience. Such a buzz-kill.

I've always thought forcing you to grind was bad design, to be honest: at least in terms of main story stuff. If I can't progress the story in a natural way by just the normal amount of random encounters you get by just walking to a place, you messed up.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By winsord

I play a lot of MMOs, so I feel like I would be lying if I voted no. I spent an unnecessarily long amount of time grinding in Ni No Kuni just trying to get familiars up into really high levels and see what their best spells were like. It definitely depends on the game though, as I know I wasn't able to withstand it for long in Blue Dragon. A lot of it probably depends on how quickly you can get in and out of the fight; for example, in a JPRG if there's too much intro/ending celebration I probably can't be bothered.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Loading Video...

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I always felt that if you simply played through each random battle as the story progressed, well then that should be good enough. If that makes sense.

Although, not all games agree with that idea.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Do you consider The Sims grinding? If so, then I really don't mind it. But it's really a matter of the game, because I'm not really into WoW or hardcore JRPG grinding.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@zornack said:

I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

Same here, I answered right away without reading the subject. Haha

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a necessary evil, like Bane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Sometimes. It's kind of just something mindless to do when I want to be distracted for a bit. I don't do it too often though because in most rpgs I see over leveling yourself as a way of cheating.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I do not enjoy it, but if I'm grinding I usually listen to a podcast while it happens to distract me from how bored I am.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I like it a lot. Especially in FFXII. Gambits made grinding so painless.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By confusedowl

Depends on the game. RPGs that use it excessively to pad out the length are annoying, but if it's optional or only required every now and than it can be a nice activity to do especially if I decide to play the game late at night.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Nope. Never enjoyed at all.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on the game. I've been replaying Disgaea 4 lately, and once I hit a good grinding spot I spent several hours just grinding my characters, even though it was completely unnecessary just to proceed to the next level, because that game gives you so many rewards for grinding and you feel so much more awesome afterward.

Once you start feeling like the game is making you grind just to proceed rather than because you feel like it then it feels like a bother. Basically, if grinding is preventing you from doing what you really want to do then it's bad grinding.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm a big fan in the Ratchet games.

No Caption Provided

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By davidwitten22

Sometimes I do it just for fun, like in Legend of Dragoon.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not so much these days. I used to back in college when I was playing World of Warcraft. If I found out a game I wanted nowadays had a lot of grinding I'd probably skip it.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer twerking and whylin,' but that's just me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TobbRobb

I've been known to stay in an area to kill the same enemies a few extra times just for fun. However I spit on that activity as an integral part of moving forward with a game.

That is probably the only reason I enjoy Jrpgs. When you refuse to grind, you find a lot of other hilarious ways to get stronger or exploit the system, which is infinitely more fun then running in a circle for a while so I can twoshot something. Which is also why I still haven't finished Dragon Quest 8. That game is just too polished for me, there arent any good bugs or balance issues to exploit and the game is balls fucking hard without grinding.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By schreiberty

@irvandus said:

Sometimes. It's kind of just something mindless to do when I want to be distracted for a bit. I don't do it too often though because in most rpgs I see over leveling yourself as a way of cheating.

Pretty much this. Put on a movie or a podcast and power up an mmo and you can have a pretty relaxing time that makes progress towards whatever your trying to do.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I love it in games like Disgaea or Tales of Xillia, because it feels like I'm always improving something, and often in substantial ways. Give me plenty of numbers to increase, lots of loot, and relatively quick battles, and I'm a happy camper. I don't much care for it in games like Dark Souls because the bonuses feel so inconsequential - which I realize is mostly due to my shitty skill at games, but.... hey, opinions, right?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I'm going through Ni No Kuni now, and the leveling that you need to do to me seems annoying in certain areas. But i'm not very good at that game so that may be why.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going through Ni No Kuni now, and the leveling that you need to do to me seems annoying in certain areas. But i'm not very good at that game so that may be why.

It's actually very very easy to overlevel in that game. There's an enemy you can fight that will give you a ridiculous amount of exp.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's not really grinding unless you know, you find it to be a grind. IE, you dislike it. Otherwise you're just playing the game...

OhmanIloveOman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't ever find it fun but if it pays off then I'm damn proud of myself

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Do you consider The Sims grinding?

I'd say it's more "woo-hoo"ing.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the gameplay is enjoyable I don't mind it.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I don't mind grinding at all so long as the core gameplay is fun and grinding isn't the majority of the game. One could call the entire endgame of WoW grinding by some definitions, but I don't mind it at all since there's so much stuff you can do.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

I don't mind it. As long as you don't actively avoid combat, you can usually do a minimum of grinding in most rpgs. Some are better than others, but I can't remember having to actively grind since Persona 3 (Tartarus had some major difficulty spikes.) Even then, I loved that game (though Persona 4 was better... there was grinding, but the dungeons weren't all the same.)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#40  Edited By StarvingGamer

If the game is fun then grinding is fine.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By villainy

I don't mind grinding as long as it doesn't.. feel like a grind I guess?

Yeah, I like it a lot. Especially in FFXII. Gambits made grinding so painless.

I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic but I finally finished FFXII yesterday after starting/stopping/restarting several times over the years. I kept finding myself grinding without realizing it because I was having fun tweaking gambits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate grinding in WoW and eventually quit playing because of it.

Simpler games, jrpgs, ffxi or things similar to that I'm okay with it because I can be doing something else as well.

But generally the modern mmo quest grinding is painfully dull (always has been really).

Edit: As far as jrpg's go I don't actually recall grinding in any except persona 3, entirely by mistake of my own by accidentally getting to the final boss with a level 50ish party and discovering he was more difficult than anything else.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Only if the lady's willing.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grinding for gold in GW2 isn't really that bad since there's a lot you can do. Mostly depends on the game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Insert sex joke here

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was younger, sure.

Some games like SMT Nocturne or SMT IV I kind of want to to go grind a favorite demon up but simply cant be bothered these days and in SMT and Etrian Odyssey grinding is totally unnecessary due to the amount of combat you encounter naturally progressing through the game. But it still can be satisfying, if only I didn't have a backlog.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#47  Edited By Hailinel

I answered yes, but it does depend on the game. Some games are just more fun to grind than others.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game.

I'll play Monster Hunter for hours or days grinding out one rare drop to upgrade a weapon without even a thought. But I can't stand grinding out gear in games like Torchlight.

I might be a little more susceptible to grinding in an MMO if I have something to listen too... like a podcast! Otherwise: no. I get bored and sloppy.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. I did a lot when I was younger. Got max levels and the best gear in a lot of rpgs and whatnot. If a game is fun and I want to keep playing it then I'll just grind sometimes. I haven't as much lately, but there haven't been as many rpgs that I would want to grind in lately either. Persona 4 Golden was the last one where I grinded for fun.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using an exploit in payday 2 to make my character level up and unlock stuff faster, though I have to grind I don't mind cus it works all the time...