• 120 results
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 14

FinalDasa  Moderator

Poll Do you actually finish games? (639 votes)

100% or bust! 5%
Yes, to the end of the main story. 47%
No, I play until I'm done. 39%
Nope, rarely or never. 9%

After finishing Tales from the Borderlands I looked at my trophies on PS4. As you might expect each episode saw a drop in the number of players who had continued on from episode to episode. The final trophy, awarded to you for finishing the entire game, stands at only 14.4%. Now this could be a larger concern for episodic games or the lack of marketing reach for Tell Tale games in general, but this is a pattern I've noticed a lot with all kinds of games.

So do people really not finish, or at least try to finish, the majority of the games they play? If not, why not?

• 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I stop playing games when I get bored with them or I'm not having any fun. If a game gets tedious I'm not going to force myself to finish it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I always try to finish at least the main story of the games I play, and usually any major side quests too. I don't like leaving things unfinished.

It's funny that you use Tales from the Borderlands as your example, as I just finished that yesterday, and intended to check the Trophy percentages too. I, however, forgot. The only thing I might say in response to that game specifically is that the first episode is (or was?) free, so maybe a bunch of people played that, but didn't buy any of the others? I honestly don't know.

I also feel like any results gotten here might be a bit skewed. The people who play games and don't finish many of them probably wouldn't be on a forum like this, you know?

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Usually I do, just to see them through. But if a game isn't holding my attention or clearly isn't worth the time I'm putting into it, then I'll drop it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

I try to finish games unless I (inevitably) get distracted by other stuff or really don't like it.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milijango

@undefined: I play until I'm "done" - which I'll take to mean satisfied, rather than completing the game. That said I almost always do end up finishing games, but it's not my end goal - it's just because I like them. I played 25 hours of Fallout 4 and felt as if I'd experienced everything I cared to (and didn't want to get into the poorly received mid-late narrative).

The only games I've gone to 100% for are Journey, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, though I got to about 80% in Final Fantasy XIII which was no mean feat.

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SuperVHS

If you look at the trophy stats for any game you'll see the percentages drop the further in to the campaign you go. I don't think it's a recent phenomenon though, the data's just been made visible on a console level for the first time with the PS4.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I always intend to finish games, that doesn't always happen though. Sometimes I get sidetracked, sometimes I get stuck, and sometimes I just can't play them anymore (I really should pick up a GBA SP at some point...)

Oh, and of course, sometimes games are shit...

I also feel like any results gotten here might be a bit skewed. The people who play games and don't finish many of them probably wouldn't be on a forum like this, you know?

Hm, I dunno. There are lots of people that buy one or two blockbuster games a year, chances are that those people will finish them off. People here tend to have a heap of games on Steam and will likely play something, get distracted by one of the other million games on Steam, move on, then get distracted again...

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By brandondryrock

I usually try to finish at least the main story, but it has been hard the past few years since I moved to a new state and started a new job and stuff. But this year I did finish Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, which I was happy about. I'm about to finish Ass Creed Syndicate. I want to finish MGS V, but that will have to be after Christmas. I'm only like 30 hours into MGS V (lol).

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered I finished Arkham Knight as well this year. Honestly that's probably the most games I've actually finished in a long time. Smaller indie games are no problem, but if the story requires more than 15 hours, it takes me a while to get through them, and sometimes I end up just forgetting about the games.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShaggE

I finish plenty of games, but I don't feel obligated to. If a game isn't doing it for me, or it just gets frustrating instead of fun (see the later courses of the most recent SSX as a great example... love the game, have no intention of "completing" it), then I'll just let it go. And on occasion, a game I like just gets put to the side for a few months or even years.

I think episodic games probably do get completed less often, though. It reminds me of the shareware era, where the first episode was all most people ever played. Of course, today, episodes end in cliffhangers and such to keep you playing, but the stories are still fairly self-contained and satisfying on their own. I'm guessing a lot of people play the first episode or two and get their fill.

I have little data to back any of that up, though. Just the feeling I get knowing how non-enthusiasts (and super-enthusiasts) play games.

Edit: Then again, I haven't played Telltale games on PS4. Do they even count the later trophies for people who only own the first episode? If not, then that's a whole other kettle o' fish.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By hassun

In my life I went from completely finishing games to sometimes finishing games to not even starting games to not even being able to cope with the amount of videos Giant Bomb releases and amassing no less than 754 (current number) tabs in my internet browser.

Needless to say the modern world's massive flow of information has thoroughly overwhelmed me and I'm probably not going to truly play video games ever again.

ConfusedOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost always finish a games main story at the very least if I'm enjoying it, but I do try to get in some extra stuff like side quests and collectibles as well. I don't go out of my way to complete games 100% though.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 17

The easier question to answer is do you abandon games if they stop being fun?... and my answer is generally that I'm willing to give any promising game three hours of my life to show me why I should keep playing it. If it doesn't do that then I'll abandon it.

takayamasama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose 100% or bust, but I'd like there to be an option for "always differs". I have really strange gaming habits, in that some games I'll just play until I stop having fun, some games I'll go so deep into, I will 100% complete.

Right now an example of that is Fallout 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I played Fallout 4 for a bit, beat the story, made a second character to mess around on for a day, and then shelved it. I think my time with that game is done. Tons of places to explore still, but I got all I think I'm going to get out of it. Xenoblade, however, I have gone super deep into, and have almost 100% every map and done every quest, and am done leveling every class.

It really varies, and I never know what a game will get from me until I'm playing it.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HH

it ends when i've had enough.

glancing at my cheevo list i can tell you i have twice as many games at 0-20% than i do at 20-90%, and only one, Brothers, at 100%.

the one time i persisted with a game i was not enjoying was assassin's creed 2 and it's the only game i regret playing.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to finish games I like. But in some rare cases when a game is bad, I finish them out of "spite".

This is pretty dumb, but hear me out - I played through the main story of GTA IV even though there wasn't a single thing I enjoyed about that game. Why? For the basic reason that I was trying to see what the heck people liked about it. I really wanted to understand that, and hell if the last hour or so was unbelievably great - maybe, just maybe that was what justified the whole slog.

But nope, that game just sucked.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finish what I want to. Sorry if that sounds trite but I'd rather spend time enjoying my hobby than grinding through something for the sake of it.

I think it finally hit me during Final Fantasy XIII. I was one of those apologists spluttering "but the game really starts to improve after the 30 hour mark."

2015 me would have told 2010 me to fuck off. ;)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rorie  Staff

It's been a lot tougher this year. Sometimes I get enough through a game to get what I want out of the actual gameplay and don't really feel compelled to complete the story. That's been true of the majority of games that I've played this year, actually (as my GOTY list will make clear!).

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bigsocrates  Online

I try to finish games, but really it's about 50/50 (okay, if I'm ACTUALLY being honest more like 25/75 in favor of not finishing.) I always intend to go back but things get in the way, life crops up, and suddenly it's 3 months later and my backlog has grown and do I really want to go back and slog through the rest of The Darkness, a game I was only moderately enjoying?

I do not.

This is ESPECIALLY true for games where DLC is released after I've finished the main story. I LOVED Sunset Overdrive, it was probably my favorite game last year. I beat the main story and most of the side stuff. I bought the season pass and two expansions came out. Never played them. Do I INTEND to play them? Yes. Will I ever play them?...maybe? If I get a new job?

Probably not.

On the other hand I almost always finish anything I play in co-op because my friends and I will push each other to get back into the game and get to the end even after a lengthy absence.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

As much as possible, but I've noticed it's been less than I used to.

When I was younger video games were a rare and valuable commodity, so it was pretty rare to not finish a game. (Even if it sometimes meant coming back to it and replaying it much later.) These days videos are cheaper (in terms of all the sales) and easier to get your hands on than ever, plus I actually have some money more often, so it's a lot easier to get distracted by other things and not finish something.

I still finish the majority of the stuff I start though, especially if I really like a game.

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IVDAMKE

A game has to be really bad in some area for me to put it down. I finish almost everything I start but because of that if I don't see a game as one that I will finish before I buy it I generally won't buy it in the first place.

I also don't feel compelled to play everything. As a result I only played the 4 big ones this year (Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, MGSV and Fallout 4) and only one of them was so bad in certain areas that I dropped it before finishing it. Otherwise I plod along with multiplayer games which can begin and end within a few minutes or a few hours.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually only finish games I like. If I'm not having enough fun to justify the time I'm putting into it, I stop playing. As far as collecting everything and getting 100%, the only game I've ever done that for was Snake Eater.

@sravankb said:

I tend to finish games I like. But in some rare cases when a game is bad, I finish them out of "spite".

This is pretty dumb, but hear me out - I played through the main story of GTA IV even though there wasn't a single thing I enjoyed about that game. Why? For the basic reason that I was trying to see what the heck people liked about it. I really wanted to understand that, and hell if the last hour or so was unbelievably great - maybe, just maybe that was what justified the whole slog.

I did that for Bioshock Infinite, since it came with my graphics card and it was before most of the internet turned against it. Hated everything about it except for the sound effects. Stuff like gun sounds and footsteps were really great.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 74

#23 fisk0  Moderator

Not really, I play until I'm satisfied, I guess. I very rarely play games for the story, but rather for the setting. When I've explored the world to satisfaction, I stop playing.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost never. I'm always more interested in the new big thing and rarely have time to finish any one game. I mostly am able to finish short fps campaigns and other short games that propel you through the story at a quick pace. If a game cant keep me coming back then I wont force myself to go back to it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@hassun said:

...amassing no less than 754 (current number) tabs in my internet browser.

Do you just keep open every page you ever visit? What?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I basically never 100% any games but I almost always finish the main story. If I actively dislike what I'm playing, or I know that it's an unrealistic time commitment then I'll give up on a game, but that's very rare, maybe once or twice a year. But even if I'm not enjoying a game, sometimes I'll force myself to play it, just to see why other people like it, or to see if it gets any better. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kasaioni

I don't usually start new games until I've seen all the major stuff regarding the story (if there is a story) in the game I'm currently playing. I didn't stop playing XIII-2 until I finished the Lightning DLC, which concludes the story of the game completely. I'm playing Lightning Returns right now, and as much as I hate a lot of the systems in that game, I'm going to keep playing it until I get the proper ending; I have that luxury.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

If I actually sit down and give a game a serious chance, I tend to at least finish the story. It's gotten harder to even commit to giving them that time, though, what with almost every single halfway decent game released in 2015 being a giant open world.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocckob said:

I usually only finish games I like. If I'm not having enough fun to justify the time I'm putting into it, I stop playing. As far as collecting everything and getting 100%, the only game I've ever done that for was Snake Eater.

@sravankb said:

I did that for Bioshock Infinite, since it came with my graphics card and it was before most of the internet turned against it. Hated everything about it except for the sound effects. Stuff like gun sounds and footsteps were really great.

Yeah, played (slogged) through Bioshock Infinite for the same dumb reason. And while the ending was pretty great, I don't see why that game was a game. Nothing about it being interactive added to the experience. If anything, it spoiled it because the shooting was just not fun for me. And only being able to carry 2 weapons just ruined the upgrade system.

And I don't get why people think Elizabeth is a good character. She was locked in a tower for over a decade, and when she escapes it (very narrowly), one of the first things she does is dance around with random folks. How the hell is she socially normal, especially after what just happened?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

More to the point for your question, I still remember the stat for Heavy Rain when that came out. That game had an unusually high completion rate of around 70-75%. For most games, that number is closer to 20%. And I think this is across the board. That figure applies more or less for games like Mass Effect and a lot of story based games, like the TellTale games. This isn't exclusive to some of the more obvious ones, like Call of Duty, since most of the people buy those games for the multiplayer. Of course if these stats were tracked by people's trophies or achievements, this could be a little off if people completed the games offline or something like that.

For me, there are plenty of games I play and then kind of shrug at. Or I have too many games and one slips through the cracks. Or I just don't like a game.

If I like a game, I will finish it. But I don't feel obligated to finish all games, especially if I don't like it or if it is only "Ok". I sort of have the philosophy as of late where there is so much good content out there (from video games, to movies, to TV shows, to books) where people shouldn't entertain themselves with something that is "just alright". This doesn't apply so much for individual songs or movies, but when it comes to longer forms of entertainment like TV shows, novels, and video games, if you aren't enjoying yourself during the beginning of a long ass thing, go do something else.

Random45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally try to at least finish the game's main story, but sometimes I just stop playing because I'm super burnt out or something. I doubt I'll ever get around to playing Fallout 4 again, for instance, despite only having 25 hours played according to steam.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less and less, even short games. I don't force myself to finish something i don't like anymore just to justify the purchase. If i'm enjoying myself i'll finish it, if not then whatever.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: New articles, websites and videos I want to read and watch crop up everywhere all the time.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never used to when I was a kid, but now I (usually) beat everything I buy. Though I won't force myself if I lose interest.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to but most games can't hold my attention long enough to finish. Especially open world games

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I hate to admit I rarely ever do nowadays, the game has to be really fucking awesome and grab a serious hold of me all the way through, otherwise I'll just start playing something else or fall back to my staples(yeah M&B I'm looking at you).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I try to, but that can't always happen, even with games I genuinely really, really like.

Tall_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tall_Guy

I don't really fit into any of the above poll responses. I try to finish all games I play, but sometimes I just burn out or something newer and shinier comes along. I feel sort of guilty about it.

The old adage applies: When you're a kid, you have all time and no money, and when you're an adult, the opposite is true. Accordingly, I have little incentive to make myself stick with anything less than stellar. I guess there's something to be said for that, but... I don't know. It doesn't feel right.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't have the time to finish games anymore, yet I keep buying them when they're on sale.

Somebody stop me!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

As a kid, I didn't beat as many games. Genesis games were tough back in the day!

Nowadays, I try to finish whatever I end up buying. I feel like I'm wasting my money if I don't see most of everything a game has to offer.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finish most games, even ones I find boring.

I rented The Evil Within and it was short enough for me to see what the hell the ending was.

I think the most recent game I couldn't finish was Lightning Returns. I hated it from the beginning; tried to see if there was anything to it; got to my first roadblock with the Caius battle and said, "Nope!"

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't feel done with a game I really like until I 100% it, however I don't have the time/tenacity to eve finish many games. I really wish I was better at it. I have a constant list in my head with a perfect memory of where I was (what quests and such I'm doing) but I don't get around to finishing them. Quite often I get to the "point of no return", save, and then never actually finish it. Making the final jump always feels like such an important moment - it can get exhausting just thinking about sometimes.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

I play a game until I stop enjoying it.
I'll always give whatever I'm playing a fair shake, but if it stops being fun that's where I get off.
My backlog's pretty big and constantly growing, so I'm not gonna sit there and force myself through something when I have dozens of other games that I might actually enjoy.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to finish as many games as I can. I try not to play bad games so that this belief of mine can't be tested. I have a high tolerance for bullshit, so even if I'm not having fun with a game I still feel compelled to finish it for some reason.

I have a much bigger problem with starting a game rather than with finishing it. I have the "Oh God, I hope this game I spent money on isn't shit 'cause then I will want to play it through to the end!" kind of mentality.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Yep, I occasionally "buy" (Humble Bundle etc.) games that I don't end up playing but aside from that I tend to finish 90% of the ones I start.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not very often. Probably 5 or so a year. I'm constantly "in the middle of" like a dozen games. Games I started in 2015 that I hope to beat sometime in 2016 include:

• Darksiders II
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Pikmin 2
  • Morrowind
  • Child of Light
  • Farcry 3: Blood Dragon
  • Hotline Miami 2
  • Human Resource Machine

You might've noticed that that's already more than five games, so yeah...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finish games even if the game I play near the end loses it's fun I need to finish or it's feels like the purchase was a waste of money.

Avatar image for thatonedudenick
ThatOneDudeNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ThatOneDudeNick

Nope. I play until I'm done having fun. That's often before the story of a game is done. Generally the storytelling in games isn't gripping enough that I need to see how most end. The second I stop having fun is when I'm done playing. I've been in the middle of a mission or cutscene and said "yup, I've had my fill" and shut it off. Not in a negative way, just... I know when I don't need to see anymore. I might load it up again later and put in some more time, but finishing isn't my goal. I definitely don't 100% anything. There's no value in collectibles or achievements for me.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to finish games when I start them, but if I start be bored with the game I see no reason why I should finish it. If it can't hold me to the end then I don't really want to see the end.