Do you care about achievements/trophies?

• 69 results
Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Surkov
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Yes. I wouldn't call myself an achievement whore but I will go out of my way to grab achievements.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Surkov

I ask this question because on the lastest Bombcast, Vinny was explaining how good Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes was, but the first question out of ryan's (or brad's?) mouth was "How are the achievements?". My reaction to this is who cares? Vinny said the game is great, why should the achievement points factor into whether or not you invest in playing the game. 

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy
@Surkov said:
" I ask this question because on the lastest Bombcast, Vinny was explaining how good Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes was, but the first question out of ryan's (or brad's?) mouth was "How are the achievements?". My reaction to this is who cares? Vinny said the game is great, why should the achievement points factor into whether or not you invest in playing the game.  "
I'm pretty sure Ryan's comment was a dig at the voodoo extreme/joystiq feud that went down Monday and not actually a question about achievements.

I used to care about trophies because I was super competitive with my clanmates. Then my PS3 died and I couldn't afford to replace it for 11 months. Now I'm way behind and some tough ones that I was very close to getting are distant now that I've lost my saves.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@mosespippy said:
" @Surkov said:
" I ask this question because on the lastest Bombcast, Vinny was explaining how good Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes was, but the first question out of ryan's (or brad's?) mouth was "How are the achievements?". My reaction to this is who cares? Vinny said the game is great, why should the achievement points factor into whether or not you invest in playing the game.  "
I'm pretty sure Ryan's comment was a dig at the voodoo extreme/joystiq feud that went down Monday and not actually a question about achievements.

I used to care about trophies because I was super competitive with my clanmates. Then my PS3 died and I couldn't afford to replace it for 11 months. Now I'm way behind and some tough ones that I was very close to getting are distant now that I've lost my saves.
"
what feud?
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Only if they are funny..like Bullet storm FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

cheevz yes, trophies no

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By sparklykiss

If it's a game I like? I go out of my way after awhile and get into "achievement whore" mode.

Rentals or games that are okay at best or whatever? Pfft. I don't really care.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cornman89

No. I don't even look at the achievement list.

I think it's nice for the people who get into it, but I'm not one of them.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mosespippy
@Jethuty: One of the editors at Voodoo Extreme claimed that the joystiq reviewer of Brink only played 2 hours of the game based on his gamerscore. 
Adus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Adus

Well this isn't a straight up yes or no for me.

There are three types of achievements:

• Skill achievements - Achievements that require you to complete a task in the game with a different method requiring a higher degree of skill. Example: World of Warcraft's Twilight Zone achievement. You kill a boss dragon before killing the three smaller dragons that attack with it. They buff the boss and you have to control them during the fight.
  • Progression achievements - Achievements for progressing normally through a game. Example: All of Final Fantasy XIII's chapter complete achievements.
  • Grind achievements - Achievements for doing menial tasks many times. Example: Kill 10,000 enemies. Shoot 1,000,000 bullets. Etc.
The first type is acceptable. It's nice to have incentive to do new, challenging tasks in games I like, and if I can get a stamp saying I did it that's even better. The second is fine. An easy way of keeping track of how far people get in games which I guess can be nice to know. Also rewards people for getting further in the game. The third is the most useless sort. It requires no extra skill. Just waste your time. I don't care about those and don't go out of my way to get them unless I really like the game and grinding is actually fun. That's rarely the case.
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Portis

Depends on the game.

If I really enjoy the game, it's my goal to get all every achievement I possibly can, and I'll go out of my way to do so. 
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By beforet

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I earn one, and I may go out of my way for some. But I'm not obsessive, and if it proves to be a pain in the ass then I won't bother with it.

For example: Nier. Great game, loved every second of it, the trophies are the proof that Cavia inc. hated you on a personal level. Getting the platinum is a madman's errand that I will never accomplish.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

no i don't. i don't try to get them. when i do i get them and yay. other than that i don't look at them.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

No, it's either get an achievement for free for finishing a level, or it's overly difficult to get one sort of trophie, no middle ground and I don't care.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Aarny91

Something to do while playing a game. This is mainly for TF2. It's a goal within a goal I can choose to achieve. So, yeah... I kinda like 'em.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By weegieanawrench

I certainly do. I often go out of my way for cheevos. Take for example, Little Rocket Man in Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Why in the fuck did I do that?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it really depends on my mood.  if i have time to kill i just think why not?  i usually give up on them when i know i could be doing something better or playing a game that i havent beat yet

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Sooperspy

Yes I do. It often gives a game a bit more lasting value.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By crusader8463

Nope. No clue how anyone can like them myself. If they unlocked something then sure, but just getting them for the sake of getting them is silly to me. Doubly so given how many of them are designed for masochists.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
Manhattan_Project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I like the game, sure. But if they completely disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't give a damn.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aronman789

No. I think the most I've ever gotten on a game is 4.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By ReyGitano

They qualify meaning in my life.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Surkov
@weegieanawrench said:
" I certainly do. I often go out of my way for cheevos. Take for example, Little Rocket Man in Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Why in the fuck did I do that? "
I actually encourage achievements like that. Any achievement that encourages the player to think about the game in different way, I support. 

It is achievements like "Kill X number of any enemies" or "Chapter 5 completed" I find stupid and meaningless. Both of those "achievements" come with just playing the game. You didn't accomplish anything.  
DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DAFTPUNK

i wouldn't go out of my way for them.
Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Not as much as it used to. Me and my friend would always go back and forth on who had more achievements but now-a-days not so much

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Freezer_Burn

I don't really care for them, but can't deny the little tingle I get when I do get them. I won't really go out of my way for them, unless some sort of in-game reward unlocks (Avatar awards, or the TF2 class updates).

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By spankingaddict
@SirPsychoSexy said:
" cheevz yes, trophies no "
There the exact same thing. If you care about cheevs then you should care about trophs....

For me I do find myself really getting into achievements. But if a good game I wanna play doesn't have any that doesn't matter, I'll still play it in a heartbeat.
PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By PerryVandell
@Gamer_152 said:
" Yes. I wouldn't call myself an achievement whore but I will go out of my way to grab achievements. "
Sums up my thoughts exactly.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Afroman269

Nope, I used to before.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Commisar123

I still get a kick out of achievments though I don't try incrediblly hard to seek them out

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrCandleguy

I use to care, I have 12 games on xbox 100% but now that I play games on PC a lot. Achievements seem to have lost there flare on me.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sameeeeam

Nope.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By GunstarRed

Yes. There was a point where I wouldn't play anything unless I was getting achievements. The Trophy system has never grabbed me and it's too hard to  concentrate on more than one system at a time. I have changed over the last year or so though and while I definately have moments where I will obsessively play one game for a million hours for 5 points I have become a lot more ok with just leaving some games with only a handful of achievements. I even played Portal 2 on the PC and not the Xbox.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Not nearly as much as I used to, but probably still too much.

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CarpetRemnant

I think the reason he asked about achievements specifically relating to Might And Magic is because either last week or the week before someone (patrick and/or brad maybe) had posited that most people would finish that game with like one or two achievements so he was obviously wondering whether that accusation was borne out in relation to Vinny's play through.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cold_Wolven

What matters to me more is actually having fun with the game and beating it. There's no point in achievements or trophies if I don't even like the games I'm playing to get them.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah It definitely gives a game more replay value/more to do. And yes I consider myself an Achievement whore.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By emem

Not really, I enjoy doing achievements for games I like, but I don't try to get achievements for games I don't like.

IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By IchiroYagiza

It add a certain replay value.
I only enjoy getting trophies that is worthy and funny, trophies that envolve too much grinding or multiplayer ones, not really.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By jacdg

Kinda.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Contro

No, I hate them, they've turned the gaming populous into point hungry tards.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Otacon

Generally no, owning both a 360 and a PS3 my scores are pretty skewered anyway. I'll play a game until I'm done having fun with it, if that means getting lots of achievements then cool, if not then I wont be bothered.

CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CodyMetro

No. I play video games to relax and enjoy myself. I guess its cool for competitive super serious hardcore games and such, but for me, just no. I doubt anyone over the age of 20 or 21 even care much about achievements/trophies to begin with.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kjellm87

No I don't like them,
I hope Nintendo won't add them in their future games.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Vonocourt

I enjoy getting them, but don't care enough to go far out of my way to get them.

Really, I don't understand why people object to having their console say "hey, you're awesome" every once in a while.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TooSweet

Maybe a third answer could have been in. Like, "Don't pay attention to them but like it when I get one." In the beginning I would try to get them and I thought it added a bit of fun to the game but later on I preferred just to be surprised at getting one. After beating a game I may be interested in trying to get a specific achievement but that's about it. Such was the case for Force Unleashed.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Yanngc33

Yes makes the game longer and they incite competition