Do you do everything in an open world/non linear game?

• 56 results
kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you do everything in an open world/non linear game? (157 votes)

Always 10%
Only if the extra content is fun/ worth it 41%
Sometimes 29%
Never 20%
I don't play open world games 1%

So as I been playing a lot of open world games lately, I found out that I have a problem. I do everything there is. I don't know why, I just feel I have to. I am also a person that did everything in Watch_Dogs, and I think that game has some of the worst side activities. But I feel I have to, not because of trophies, but it feels like an accomplishment. Or maybe it is the trophies, I can't tell anymore. Am I alone here, do you guys just do some stuff and the main story, or do you try to do everything?

• 
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By 71Ranchero

I picked "sometimes" but the real answer would be "If I feel like it, whatever".

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sometimes but the answer is closer to rarely if you are looking at all the content and not just missions. I usually dont enjoy collect-a-thons like the feathers in Assassins Creed or the supplies in Sunset Overdrive. I always do every mission/side quest.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If there's narrative to the side missions yes.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Nodima

Not really. I love grand theft auto but the worlds are just too large for me to go hunting secret packages or horse shoes or whatever. I did almost 100% Mordor and might at some point but only because they've made it so easy. I think all I have is one dagger challenge and one sword challenge.

I also get real close in every infamous game (and actually did platinum Second Son, my first non-Telltale platinum)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Always. Help.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

Always. I have 100% completed every GTA game since GTA3, Sleeping Dogs, Burnout Paradise, Saint's Row The Third, Assassin't Creed 2/Bro, NFS Most Wanted, Deadly Premonition, Red Dead Redemption, Bully, Brutal Legend, Infamous 1 & 2, and on and on and on. I have Vinnyitis. The only cure is more collectibles.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cover a lot of ground in open world games, sure, but I'm not going to get every collectible or finish every side mission. The latest Infamous I did almost all the side content as it was specific to each part of the city and not too time consuming. But something like Dragon Age which has innumerable MMO-type quests, I just ignore those exclamation points and move on with my day.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I often do +50%, but I rarely commit to everything. I'm not doing crappy race missions or arena challenges for 5 hours. On the other hand, I might spend 3 hours getting collectibles even if I'm not having fun.

I think when I finished Arkham City recently, I had done everything besides the challenge levels. Without the Riddler informants I probably wouldn't have bothered.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By afabs515
No Caption Provided

Sometimes I try, but no game can hold my attention for THAT long. The closest I've ever come is probably Assassin's Creed II, and even then I didn't do at least 50% of the side missions because I found them so boring and repetitive.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I usually intend to, but practically always give up without coming close. The last game I can remember polishing everything off in was Infamous: Second Son, and that's only because it was pretty thin on side-content to begin with. The only real exception is open-world RPGs, where more often than not I end up finishing every mission or quest on offer.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

Hahaha, oh no. No way. My attention span already drifts away from games too easily.

That said, if I'm interested enough in a game to start playing it a second time, I'll be far less likely to just run for the next story mission. I'll usually pick something else and do it. If I buy GTA V on PC - which I'm really thinking about doing - I'll probably never actually beat it again and will just keep doing side stuff.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on what open world game it is and what I'll be doing. When it's something like inFamous where the side quests help you build power, make it easier to roam the city, and give you backstory then yes I'll most likely do it all. If it's something from Ubisoft where they just litter the map with hundreds of pointless things to do, or requires you to have the iOS app to open chests that don't do anything, then hell no.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Depends on how much I like the game. If I love it and I feel like the campaign isn't enough to feed my appetite, then sure.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

NEVER - all the side stuff in a game. Even if I find it interesting, i'll probably only do 80 - 90 % of the stuff in the game. Must have gone that high for the Witcher 1 and Fable TLC (Neither pure open world games)

In case of open world games, mostly never. It's also fun to leave some stuff undiscovered in a game, helps immersion rather than reinforce the fact that it's just a game, where everything can be explored/ accomplished.

I will be spending months playing the Witcher 3, so maybe I'll do everything in that, but I highly doubt it (But i'm pretty sure all of it will be worth doing)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Absolutely not, I tend to focus on one aspect I enjoy, be it a chain of sidequests or just exploration and do that until I lose interest and never play the game again. I usually don't give a shit about the main story, collectibles or anything like that.

In Skyrim I visited all the cities abd explored the countryside, then I played the civil war quest line to completion and put the game to rest, only playing a few main story missions, which didn't really grab my interest. Spent about 200 hours that way.

In Defiance I've visited all the "towns" and then almost exclusively done arkfall and incursion missions.

In Final Fantasy XIV I just sneaked my way though all the high level areas as a low level character until I had made my way to all the major cities on all the continents, and then stopped playing without getting anywhere near the level cap.

I've never played the stories in any GTA game beyond the point where you unlock all islands/cities.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sinusoidal

As long as I'm having fun, sure. Sometimes the side stuff just isn't fun though. Most recent example I can think of is Saints Row IV. I got gold in everything except for the platforming rifts, telekinesis rifts and SPFC because fuck those.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes. Did that in Shadow of Mordor, GTA IV, and a few others.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kasaioni

Depends on the game. Sometimes I feel that I need to conquer some games. Like the GTA's. GTAIV was really difficult with those stupid flying rats.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to at least have a look at side-missions and activities type stuff; things that actually involve some gameplay, especially if it's story related.

As for collectibles, for the most part they can sod off as far as I am concerned. Running around simply looking for things just feels like padding most of the time. Granted though, there are some games where it's not so much a matter of finding them, but figuring out how to get to them, which makes things a little more interesting.

Also, more and more games tend to have some sort of 'collectible finder' in them; stuff like treasure maps, icons popping up on mini-maps, etc. To me this just seems like the devs are going: "Yeah we know it's tedious, so here you go, we'll make it easier.", and if that's the case, then why have this stuff in there in the first place? If you actively need to add tools to make your game more manageable (some would say bearable) then perhaps you should reconsider your design philosophy.

I guess the compulsive collector demographic is a big one, eh? (If you genuinely enjoy collectible hunting though, more power to you)

Anyway, short answer: I almost never reach 100%.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do but only in RPG's. In for example Assassin's Creed I never even entertained a thought of getting all the flags/feathers or whatever they sprinkle all over the place. But in RPG's I can't not do it.

I think I have like 5 more shards to pick up in Dragon Age Inquisition now, and maybe 3 rifts to close.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HH

i always saw the point of open world games as being an opportunity to carve a unique path, and if you play the game a second time you get to carve a different path.

i did hundred percent Shadows of Mordor last year, but in hindsight i shouldn't have, because by the end of it the spirit of the game had left me, and I'm probably less likely now to play it a second time, which is a shame.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like to spend my time equally doing side content and going through the main story. I find that if the story is over, I feel much less of a drive to do any of the other content in an open world game. If it's done during that process, it feels like it in some way is tying into the overall narrative.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By GERALTITUDE

No. Way.

I would play one game all year if that was the case.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Never. Sounds like that would be a good way to turn a fun game into a chore.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only open world game I've ever 100%'d is Infamous Second Son but despite that game technically being open world there's really not a lot of open world content in it when compared to something like Sleeping Dogs, GTA or Skyrim.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, no. I cant help but do everything I encounter in a game and a bazzilion sidequests/collectibles are THE way to make me burn out on a game the fastest.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Entreri10

Definitely depends on the game, some games like Skyrim and Batman I definitely would, on the other hand I've never been particularly driven to get all the collectibles in the Assassin's Creed games.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I picked never because I have only ever done it with one game and never again since. Doing all the side stuff rarely offers any tangible benefit and with time being precious now I'd rather not waste it on slogging through meaningless fluff.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I (almost) do everything, always. :) Like I'll get 95% the way there, then stop and finish the game. DA:I was the last one I did this with. Basically, it means I simply missed it going through a dungeon or something and the thought of retracing my steps through an entire area is something I'm not willing to do.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By phantomzxro

I can't fully say always given that its more like 8/10 times i will do everything. The more i like the game the more i'm likely to do everything. The only ones i often drag on is collect 100 of these things in the world. I don't really like doing those types of side quests.

Frazer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. Generally i'll finish most of the side-quests that I encounter however I won't go out my way to hunt down every last collectible in an open world unless the game really draws me in. Red Dead is the last title I can think of that I 100% completed.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I need my shinies man.

Got get catch 'em all. Know what I'm sayin?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I put "never" although "Only if the extra content is fun/worth it" would work as well. In most cases I will do everything that is not a collectible hunt. Since every open world game has collectible hunts I pretty much never do everything in an open world game.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab
redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only once, with Vice City. I knocked it out over a summer, years ago. I collected everything, I did every taxi mission, every firefighter mission, etc. Despite how much I loved that game, it was incredibly tedious and I have no desire to go through that again.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually do most stuff but am fine not getting 100%. I'm not going to spend extra time to get everything but easily get side tracked if its near by.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Teoball

Very rarely. I'm playing Dying Light at the moment and I'm doing every side quest cause all of them have their own little story.

What I won't do is the challenges. I get no enjoyment out of killing this many zombies before the timer runs out, or do a race to get somewhere before someone else does.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I don't even try to do everything, I just do stuff that looks interesting so how many I do depends on the game really. I do usually do all 'substantial' side-quests and any character-related side-quests, as for collectibles and stuff like fetch quests I usually only do them when I'm nearby the location anyway.

I'm playing (and loving!) Dragon Age Inquisition atm and have done a fair number of the side quests but certainly not all of them, nor will I get all the collectibles because I don't really care all that much about them. If I see one or I know ones nearby then sure I'll pick it up but I'm not gonna go out of my way to track them all down.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually try to do as many side quests as I can, especially those that further the game's narrative in some way. Collectibles are fun to get as I'm playing through the game naturally, but setting aside time to specifically hunt down every little thing just isn't fun. I don't care about seeing every square inch of the world just to raise some arbitrary completion meter. More power to you if that's your thing, of course.

I've never been a hardcore 100% completion kind of guy, but I think I'm even less so now that free time is a precious commodity. I'd rather play more games in a year than spend all my time with a few doing everything. The Elder Scrolls series is probably the one exception, but even after 200 hours in Skyrim across the PC and 360 I haven't even touched the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood or an unknown amount of side quests. I just go back to it as I feel like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it's some psychological thing... Whenever there's an objective, I HAVE to do it no matter how trivia it is. It nearly killed Dragon Age: Inquisition for me, since I got so damn bored by the 50~ hour mark because so much of that game is just side quests. I'd actually say I'm actively killing my interest in video games every time I do this, but I just can't fucking stop.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@random45: We are the same, you and me. I couldn't keep on playing Wasteland 2 because i kept doing secondary and unnecessary tasks until i realized that i had ~50 hours of boredom .

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the game. Piece of shit like GTA IV? Hell no. Awesome game like ACIV? Absolutely.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the tediousness of the tasks vs the love of the game.
So usually never, but I'll make special exceptions.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By noizy

Never! or almost never. I did everything in Tomb Raider 2013, but that's because it was very little. I almost did in Mordor, but didn't finish the hunting and slave rescue.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Never in my life have I even attempted it. My Ocd about that stuff would drive me mad. It's better if I just resign myself from the start.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It depends, really. If it seems reasonable, and the game is fun to boot, I'll at least attempt. If it's shit like the hundred or so stunt jumps in GTA, then forget it. I did every last side mission in Watch Dogs. I didn't bother with getting all the songs or doing those weird city games, though. I had a lot of fun with it, actually. I also got the Platinum on Far Cry 4 recently, although that requirements for that are far below doing everything in the game. There's a lot of shit to do in FC4...

I did just about everything in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, as well as Oblivion. Dying Light might get me to do the same. I'm loving this game right now, and the side missions are all very well done.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never find all the content in open-world games compelling enough to play everything. If open-world games had greater variety in what is there out the box, then perhaps I would but it all becomes familiar, repetitive, and dull after a while.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost never. I 100%'d Red Dead Redemption, but that was because I loved that game so damned much, and as far as open world games it is one of the smaller more contained ones. I had inklings of wanting to do it in FC3, but the sheer volume of collectibles that were just kind of trash money fodder was sort of overwhelming so at some point I just said screw this and finished the game. I couldn't even fathom trying to do this in something like Skyrim or GTA.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked "sometimes" but the real answer would be "If I feel like it, whatever".

Yeah pretty much this. Sometimes I start out determined to see everything but then half way through I'll get bored, power through the main story and then never touch the game again.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm enjoying the game and am enjoying doing everything then yeah. I don't even need to have narrative content or whatever (obviously it's nice to have), if I'm enjoying myself I'm totally down for just hunting for collectibles and all that jazz.