Do you dread the impending 'next-gen' wars?

• 126 results
killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killr0y

Rumors are already beginning to surface in the Sony and Microsoft camps, and while they are just stupid rumors, there is a large swath of the gaming community that jumps before they look. This leads to thousands, if not millions of people, completely uninformed. But I think when console companies straight up lie or provide half-truths, that says even more about how much humanity has the capacity to suck balls.

One rumor circulating mentions how the PS4 is going to support 4k resolutions. This already has uninformed idiots believing that teh grafix are going to out out-of-this-world. When Sony announced 1080P support, they had the PS3 fanboys laughing their asses off at the 360's comparitively puny support for 720P (before Microsofted updated this with a simple firmware tweak). What was the truth? The truth was that neither the PS3 nor the 360 could output natively at those resolutions without suffering ridiculous framerate hits. So the vast majority of all games today are natively rendered at 720P (or even lower), and simply upscaled to the HD resolution that the TV supports.

4K I hope is nothing more than a rumor, because I really don't want to see the industry devolve into a stupid numbers war that does nothing but hurt and confuse the consumer. Marketing is one thing, but forcing a video chip to include a spec that never gets used because its totally impractical is nothing short of misleading people.

There is a big difference between healthy competition, and lying & cheating.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, because as far as I know, the fanboy business isn't really strong on this site.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By falserelic

War what is it good for?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Phatmac

Nope! New consoles mean new innovations so I say bring it already.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By impartialgecko

Oh man I completely forgot about that. Its been so long since I've seen people take that seriously. It's going to be awful.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JasonR86

@falserelic said:

War what is it good for?

Good God y'all.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By falserelic

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

War what is it good for?

Good God y'all.

absolutely nothing.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pweidman

No, because I don't care and always avoid that drama. I would like to see the new consoles innovate and become much more powerful and capable though. And some good healthy competition usually results in some good development efforts which means us gamers win overall. Plus this site is mellow and fanboy stuff is usually just quickly dismissed. Another reason GB is awesome imo.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ch3burashka

No, because I'm not 13 and the concept of "console wars" doesn't exist past early childhood, from a mental state perspective. Anyone who subscribes to this future "war" is a damn child.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By JasonR86

@falserelic said:

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

War what is it good for?

Good God y'all.

absolutely nothing.

SAY IT AGAIN Y'ALL!!!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By falserelic

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

War what is it good for?

Good God y'all.

absolutely nothing.

SAY IT AGAIN Y'ALL!!!

War, it ain't nothing But a heartbreaker

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NakAttack

War, whoa, Lord

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dany

No because I am not 15 years old. MY decision has already been made.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

Nah. I prepare to enjoy the fireworks by the way

PS4 TOTALLY KICKS XBOX ASS SON! FUCK YA

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baillie

I'm not caring for the fanboy wars, but I'm happy there is still going to be a generational war between Sony and Microsoft, without it we'd end up with absolutely no innovation. Although, I would much prefer a lot of inovation and one console. Oh, blissful thinking.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By falserelic

@Sackmanjones said:

Nah. I prepare to enjoy the fireworks by the way PS4 TOTALLY KICKS XBOX ASS SON! FUCK YA

PS4 is goin to be mad ill son to sick 4 real... I can't wait to catch the disease.

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Not really, I tend to stay away from that. Even with that said, I don't think it'll ever get as bad as it was in 2008-09, most of it has died down since then.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@falserelic said:

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

@JasonR86 said:

@falserelic said:

War what is it good for?

Good God y'all.

absolutely nothing.

SAY IT AGAIN Y'ALL!!!

War, it ain't nothing But a heartbreaker

Friend only to the undertaker!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hardware wars are dumb, but luckily those hardware wars generate a lot of original software.

Of course it generates a lot of stupid launch bullshit, but whatever.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Subjugation

I live next gen everyday. Word.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Considering that there aren't real facts in the way of features and confirmed specs for anyone to bitch about yet, there doesn't appear to be any console fanboy wars that will be occurring for quite sometime. As was noted earlier, this doesn't seem to be much of an issue at GB.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Khadyn

Nope, cause I'll just get both and be happy and not care what the fanboys say or do. Even though I won't lie and will read the laughable crap they post just for shits and giggles...

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not really. I will wait couple of years for enough of the good games to come out. I got shelter, canned food and decent PC to last until that.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By valiantgrizzly

No, I am an adult with a job. I'm buying both consoles. I don't care which one is "da best".

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By dagas

I'm not looking forward to spending money on new consoles. I think I'll be slower to buy into the next generation than I've ever been before. Unless they release some games I just have to play. Not just the same games with better graphics. I only have 2 720p TV's at home anyway so I'd have to buy a new TV to get 1080p to take advantage of the next gen.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't partake in the System Wars.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By musubi

PS TRIPLE Y'ALL GET OUT OF HERE WITH DAT 360 BULLSHIT.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Dagbiker
I just want to be able to post this
I just want to be able to post this
TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TMBaker

Marcus Beer does a pretty good job laying it out about the fanboys:

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BraveToaster

Console war threads get locked up quick here, so I don't care.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By redcream

War never changes

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Rowr

@killr0y said:

Rumors are already beginning to surface in the Sony and Microsoft camps, and while they are just stupid rumors, there is a large swath of the gaming community that jumps before they look. This leads to thousands, if not millions of people, completely uninformed. But I think when console companies straight up lie or provide half-truths, that says even more about how much humanity has the capacity to suck balls.

One rumor circulating mentions how the PS4 is going to support 4k resolutions. This already has uninformed idiots believing that teh grafix are going to out out-of-this-world. When Sony announced 1080P support, they had the PS3 fanboys laughing their asses off at the 360's comparitively puny support for 720P (before Microsofted updated this with a simple firmware tweak). What was the truth? The truth was that neither the PS3 nor the 360 could output natively at those resolutions without suffering ridiculous framerate hits. So the vast majority of all games today are natively rendered at 720P (or even lower), and simply upscaled to the HD resolution that the TV supports.

4K I hope is nothing more than a rumor, because I really don't want to see the industry devolve into a stupid numbers war that does nothing but hurt and confuse the consumer. Marketing is one thing, but forcing a video chip to include a spec that never gets used because its totally impractical is nothing short of misleading people.

So you start by talking down rumours and people buying into them. You lament "millions" of people falling into being uninformed.

And then you proceed to talk about one and fearfully make a bunch of stupid assumptions.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NathHaw

I welcome it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dagbiker

@Rowr said:

@killr0y said:

So you start by talking down rumours and people buying into them. You lament "millions" of people falling into being uninformed.

And then you proceed to talk about one and fearfully make a bunch of stupid assumptions.

What assumptions did he make?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Luckily, this site doesn't take too kindly to fanboyism or console war threads, both of which are required for a full-on console war. We'll be okay, you guys.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

If by war you mean competition to create better products and services for is then yes I am very excited.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShaggE

Meh. So a bunch of people scream and stomp and throw fits because their favorite thing isn't the only thing that exists. Only two things ever come of that: either they live the rest of their lives as lonely, bitter manchildren, or they eventually grow out of it (sadly, the former more often than the latter). Either way, life goes on for the rest of us. Besides, new generations aren't the only thing that stokes the fanboy flames... that's too much time for people to wait in between hissyfits.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Sambambo

No.

I'll just ignore the hate and look forward to the fact that there is new hardware out.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AndrewB

I think we can all agree that 4k resolution will not be a thing for games for any consoles this coming generation. Movies? Absolutely. Sony and Microsoft have moved past their boxes being for video games alone and 4k is, for some crazy reason, something which is on the cusp of becoming a consumer norm. If not at launch, it will be within the lifespan of these consoles, so support for it is key, and of course they'll have the computing power to do so.

Anyway, why would I dread the upcoming consoles? I look forward to buying one and having a system which learned from all the mistakes of the last generation. Something that *can* output at 1080p without making significant sacrifices.

If we're talking about uniformed consumers, look at literally everything else being sold. Lies and half-truths are the norm for anything but the most confident brands. Why not leave their decision up to the pimple-faced expert working the counter at Gamestop, like the kinds of people who walk out and buy a car on the word of their salesman?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator  Online

No, because I've made a very deliberate effort to avoid places on the internet where "the console wars" are actually a thing.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By billyhoush

I wont get the new consoles until the revisions come out 'cause by then they will be cheaper, better, and have more games worth playing.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By confusedowl

No can't say that I do. By the time the next gen rolls around I'll probably have a job, so I'll just buy both eventually and if some of those more controversial rumours end up being true I can save myself the trouble and buy neither.

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By obscurefan

The only part of the next gen war that I dread is how much it will end up affecting my wallet.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By GunstarRed

Console wars haven't been fun since the 16 bit days.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Probably won't care. With both consoles more worried about being bullshit app machines rather than game machines I'll probably become a full time PC gamer next generation and leave consoles altogether.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mastercheesey

I like new stuff so bring it on

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rowr said:

@killr0y said:

Was about to say this. 
sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I barely paid attention to this one and the one before it ect ect.  If they wasn't so damn expensive, everyone would have all the consoles and there would be no fanboys.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SmilingPig

I'm not sure about the next gen, I don’t want a console filled with ads and a bunch of shit I don’t care about, I may just upgrade my PC instead.