Do you ever get emotionally invested in games?

• 113 results
LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LightRain

Ever play a game that was so good, that you actually got emotionally into it? I find this happening to myself with other media too sometimes, such as when I was watching about 6 hours worth of X-Files episodes a day. Well I noticed that when playing Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, I was really into the game, and from playing it for the past 36 hours with but a few short breaks, I feel like I was really into the game. Into the story, into the characters, into the romances, into everything about the game. The Mass Effect series is so far the only game in which I've gotten this involved with, and so I'm definitely going to check out more BioWare games such as the KOTOR series. Anyone have any recommendations of other emotionally involving, preferably long, video games? Anyway, does this ever happen to anyone else, where you actually almost start to think like you're in the game?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No, not really. Why? Because I'm a MAN!  

That, and I find it hard to get emotionally involved in something that ISN'T REAL. 

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blueduck

A little but she wouldn't let me put it in.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck
@MooseyMcMan said:
" No, not really. Why? Because I'm a MAN!   That, and I find it hard to get emotionally involved in something that ISN'T REAL.  "
So when something really fucking awful happens in a movie, you're not even phased? Not even during like.. Sophie's Choice?
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Not nearly often enough. 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Akeldama

Metal Gear Solid 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@MooseyMcMan said:
" No, not really. Why? Because I'm a MAN!   That, and I find it hard to get emotionally involved in something that ISN'T REAL.  "
The whole point of shows, movies, and video games is to give a different reality, it is only natural to be invested. 

I find it happens most with RPG games. It makes sense since characters/stories are deeper in those games.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@Azteck said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
So when something really fucking awful happens in a movie, you're not even phased? Not even during like.. Sophie's Choice? "
Never heard of it. Who is this "Sophie" you speak of?  

Well, I've gotten angry at games before, for bad design, or terrible plot twists/endings, but I think that's something different entirely. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

I don't ever ''feel like I'm in the game'', as that's crossing the boundaries there and you should watch yourself before you start punching out reporters' but there are games where'll I care for the characters, the story and so on, so much that it can pull at my emotions.. like any good story, really. Plus, should you spend enough time with any character, no matter how annoying they are, I can still grow towards them out of tolerance..

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60
@arab_prince said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
The whole point of shows, movies, and video games is to give a different reality, it is only natural to be invested.  I find it happens most with RPG games. It makes sense since characters/stories are deeper in those games. "
He's too much of a man to have feelings apparently.
OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OmegaChosen

All the time.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@CL60: Yes. 
miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By miningguyx360

Mass Effect 2.... MIRANDA WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah sure.

I've found that some games leave me kind of sad after beating them. Especially those with good characters.

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jikla

I actually cried at the end of Klonoa when I was 9. Cried when Aeris died when I was 12. Does that count? Maybe sometimes in the MGS series as well (Meryl, Sniper wolf etc). Valkyrie Chronicles had some emotional scenes as well. And I cried trough superman 64 because it was so rad...I mean Bad.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LightRain
@miningguyx360 said:
" Mass Effect 2.... MIRANDA WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE? "
inb4 "I'm sorry for your loss"
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#17  Edited By donutfever

Only once, in Leisure Suit Larry. 
But seriously, yes. Red Dead, ME2, and Uncharted.  
EDIT: Persona, that's the game I was thinking of!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
@miningguyx360 said:
" Mass Effect 2.... MIRANDA WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE? "
=O
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Azteck
@FancySoapsMan said:
" Yeah sure.  I've found that some games leave me kind of sad after beating them. Especially those with good characters. "
I share this sentiment. Happens usually after I finish off the last game in a franchise that I really loved. Happened after I finished Halo 3 for example, will probably happen once ME3 is over, same with AC3.
LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LightRain
@Jikla said:
" I actually cried at the end of Klonoa when I was 9. Cried when Aeris died when I was 12. Does that count? Maybe sometimes in the MGS series as well (Meryl, Sniper wolf etc). Valkyrie Chronicles had some emotional scenes as well. And I cried trough superman 64 because it was so rad...I mean Bad. "
I'm sorry for your loss.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By bybeach

It can happen. I'm not sure how far I am into Killzone 3,when the story suppossedly all jumps into the air and dies, but...a short while I just saw Rico, and it was one of the better videogame moments I have had. 

Rico rocks...I hate the Helgast, and I am having a blast with this game. I don't think I have hated an enemy and enjoyed the action since Halflife 2 episode 2.  More so even in terms of putting enemies down. 

Rico rocks...can't believe I wrote that...
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

It happens all the time to me. I wouldn't have played videogames as long as I have if there had not been an emotional connect. I can't wait until the next one. Right now it's Far Cry 2...let's see how long that lasts.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

Depends on the game. Trouble Shooter? No. Fragile Dreams? Yes.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pweidman

Absolutely.  Especially in open world rpgs after the larger time investment put into the game.  Good stories do it too...see RDR. Likeable, well developed characters pull me in too.  The main character in Lost Odyssey comes to mind.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sameeeeam

The quality of writing in games is never strong enough to elicit any sort of emotional response from me. 

That'll probably change at some point in the future, though, as writers start to get a better hang of the medium.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cornman89

Sure. I often get emotionally invested in long RPGs.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Julmust

I cried yesterday when I finished Red Dead Redemption, what a goddamn ending. 

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Gerhabio
@MooseyMcMan said:
I would argue that there are a lot of things that are not demonstrably real that still elicit emotional responses from people in the everyday. Simple examples could range from the magic of a shooting star to sportive competition (where conflict is controlled, artificial). The reason they do is because as humans we get invested in narratives to give sense to our world. In fact, some anthropologists believe all experience to be construed, at least in part, by cultural symbols and narratives and I believe this as well.  
No one can deny that sad stories are sad and happy ones are happy. It would be easy to tell someone an emotionally charged story and then withhold its veracity but I doubt it would be equally easy for the listener to withhold her or his emotional response until that information was given. 
My point is that narratives don't have to be factual to feel real and there is no fault in feeling for them, it is natural to human beings: Everything we do has a narrative around it. 

If you choose to be indifferent to certain narratives or to never suspend your disbelief from certain narrative structures (like video games) that's something else. Different stories in different media have different degrees of "reality" for different people.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By nintendoeats

This happens to me quite a lot. There were a couple such moments in Alpha Protocol for example.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LightRain
@nintendoeats said:
" This happens to me quite a lot. There were a couple such moments in Alpha Protocol for example. "
Alpha Protocol was an AMAZING game, it's a shame it went under the radar for the most part.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus

I actually felt pretty sad near the end of FFXIII where...

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By WickedCestus

When playing Deadly Premonition, I like to talk to Zach in my head about whatever I am doing. Like, "Hmm, I think Diane has a quest, Zach, maybe we should head over there."  

This is probably because I am crazy.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kyreo

I get invested all the time.  Infamous was rough for me.  Red Dead Redemption really hit home.   

Rez was emotional for me, but not like in a... mood swing kind of way.  AjayRaz knows what I mean by that.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EVO

Heavy Rain. I felt genuinely bad when I lost a character.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Mass Effect 2, Bioshock and Metal Gear Solid 4. 
crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crimsinf

Yeah, a few of the examples that people have already said are definitely true for me, like parts of Lost Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption. My best example of this, though, was Heavy Rain. Whether you want to call it a game or not, I got way into that and even got stressed out over the last few trials. I knew I had to make sure my son survived, but almost couldn't bring myself to do a couple of those trials...

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nintendoeats
@LightRain said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" This happens to me quite a lot. There were a couple such moments in Alpha Protocol for example. "
Alpha Protocol was an AMAZING game, it's a shame it went under the radar for the most part. "
Its a shame that so much of the game was busted. When it was good it was really good, but it has some flaws that are difficult to ignore. I actually never finished it. I'm probably about 20 minutes from the ending, but the way my character is specd out I am essentially incapable of defeating Sean Darcy. That is a serious failing on the designers part.

But this isn't the place to get into how I would fix Alpha Protocol. That's a big frigging topic.
jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By jorbear

I cried at the end of Red Dead Redemption. I sobbed. I got so attached to John Marston, and the ending tore me apart.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sooty

Shenmue 
Shenmue II 
Persona 4

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Animasta

I'm a pussy and get emotionally attached to everything

Right now it's Radiant Historia, still thinkin about ghost trick, TWEWY... Nier, STILL, basically I'm the worst

marvin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By marvin_martian
@EVO:  I am upset about the lack of Heavy Rain in this thread...
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

No. I can't get emotionally invested in video games like I can movies and tv. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Brendan

In Mass Effect 2's suicide mission I definitely had sweaty palms until the end.  I felt a little sad by the end of Halo Reach and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 for some more recent ones.  I don't get as emotionally attached to games as I do to more complex narratives in movies or books though.  In games I'm mostly frustrated when I feel like I failed.  

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Daveyo520

Not often.

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LightRain
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@LightRain said:
"
"
It helps to say what game you're spoiling in case anyone is too cautious to click it. 

I get more emotionally invested in video games than I do TV shows, movies or books (to a lesser extent). Still, it's rare that a game affects me more than slightly.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By KaosAngel

Fuck no.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By stackboy

Does bulletstorm count? I was emotionally involved in kicking ass.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikkaQ

Nah, I don't think the storytelling is quite up to snuff to get any other emotional response from me than say... anger. 
Some games have revenge as part of the plot, and I usually get pretty into it for a while, but once again, that's just more anger.  
Movies stopped getting me because I'm too involved with making them now, and I constantly think about what's happening behind the camera in movies... kinda detaches you from it. 
Books though... I get pretty invested in those, that's for damn sure. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Claude
@KaosAngel said:
" Fuck no. "
Liar...How can you say that? You know you love videogames. Don't deny it.