Do you ever look at the screenshots the PS4 takes when you earn a trophy?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you ever look at the screenshots the PS4 takes when you earn a trophy? (184 votes)

I never look at trophy screenshots, I'm always looking forward. 22%
Occasionally I will see one when checking out trophy information but it's very rare. 26%
I might look through my screenshots on occasion and see the trophy shots then, but I don't seek them out. 21%
I like to look through my trophy screen shots to remember my experiences with a game. 16%
I print out every trophy screen shot my PS4 takes and use them as wallpaper. I get tattoos of my favorites. 4%
You know what I'd like to look at? The responses to this poll. Show them to me! 11%

One of the features that the PS4 added to its trophy system for the 8th gen, in addition to displaying the rarity of each trophy, is a screenshot taken at the point when you get each trophy and attached to the trophy in the trophy system. It shows up when viewing the trophy and displays whatever was on screen when it popped. I didn't think much of it when it debuted but I've come to really appreciate this feature. I sometimes look back over trophies and screenshots when I'm thinking about or remembering a game I played (I know that makes me weird but I don't care, it's like flipping through a book you liked to remember it) and having these screenshots is pretty useful and nice. Of course no automated system is perfect and you end up with a lot of screenshots of loading screens depending on when the trophy pops, but it's a nice little automated addition IMO. Am I the only one who ever looks at these things or do some other people sometimes check out their trophies or old screenshots and view them too? Do you care if this feature makes it over to PS5? Would you prefer video clips?

Here's an example of a non-spoiler pretty good screenshot that shows exactly what I was doing when I earned this trophy. This kind of thing really reminds me of what it was like to actually play the Tomb Raider reboot.
Here's an example of a non-spoiler pretty good screenshot that shows exactly what I was doing when I earned this trophy. This kind of thing really reminds me of what it was like to actually play the Tomb Raider reboot.
This is more generic but still gives a sense for the game and is a better reminder of how I earned that trophy than just a name and description would be. It's fine.
This is more generic but still gives a sense for the game and is a better reminder of how I earned that trophy than just a name and description would be. It's fine.
No automated system is perfect, and a fair number of trophy screenshots are just blank loading screens or have too much motion blur to be worth looking at.
No automated system is perfect, and a fair number of trophy screenshots are just blank loading screens or have too much motion blur to be worth looking at.
This is not trophy related, I just think it's funny that they took the time to animate Lara spitting out water during what's a pretty fast sequence in the game. The level of detail in modern games is just insane.
This is not trophy related, I just think it's funny that they took the time to animate Lara spitting out water during what's a pretty fast sequence in the game. The level of detail in modern games is just insane.
 • 
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

I sometimes take a look mainly because they are usually really awkward and funny. I'm sure they had great intentions but as you yourself wrote, automation can only take you so far.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

I actually disabled the feature a while ago because it was filling up my hard drive with screenshots of loading screens and shots of nothing, since the trophies were popping after I had done the thing. I’m way better about capturing my own screenshots for the memories.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also turned it off because half of the images it took are of loading screens, black screens, or menus.

It's a neat idea, but the automation doesn't work well. It'd be better maybe if it took 5-10 second clips of whatever you do around the trophy popping.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'll occasionally run into them, and even if it's blurry or a black screen or a dumb angle in a cutscene, it does bring back a little memory.

But we're talking like twice a year here. At the start of the generation I was way more into looking at screenshots and videos because it was novel. Now, less so but it's still fun to look at screens after a long game to bring back those memories (recently did that with Witcher 3 and I honestly forgot a lot of what I did).

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wait it can be turned off? I have to do that immediately.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I hardly ever look, but when I do I wonder, "Did I REALLY need to see a screne shot of that?" LOL

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turned it off years ago. And the notifications.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How do I make it stop doing that again?

(Rhetorical question. Don't @ me.)

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By clagnaught

I like to look at them, but it’s often times not great. Like, here’s a black screen. Or here’s a trophy for a story beat that always hits at this moment. Or here’s my character....standing there on a street corner. I kind of like looking at them because they are not so amazing. Sort of like when you try to take a picture of something cool, but you were like 2 seconds late because you didn’t have your phone on you.

Despite my dunking, I do like having them. I wish I had one photo on me, because it’s a good kind of ridiculous. If I remember it, I’ll share it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I'll give them a look and occasionally the photo taken isn't half bad, but mostly ignore them.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I disabled the trophy notification because it was extremely distracting having that popup during emotionally charged cut-scenes and sections of the game where I was really invested, and the dumb puns they use would always completely break any immersion I had.

I checked those screenshots a couple of times, and they're usually kinda shitty. I'd much prefer if it made a little 30 second video clip so you could see the actions leading up to the achievement - that way if I inadvertently did something cool then I'd have an actual record of it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I never noticed they existed until I played Assassin's Creed: Origins. Most of the screenshots from that were the loading screen thingy.

The only game where they made sense was Life Is Strange because they were basically pictures of Max taking pictures, which was kind of a cool idea.

GloveSlipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I had no idea they existed. I feel shame.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should allow developers to flag individual trophies as "yes notification / no notification," as well as "no screenshot / yes screenshot / yes 30 second video clip" on the PS5. Some story related trophies can distract from the emotional experience and should be silent, most progression-related trophies should notify you but don't need a screenshot, and the trophies that involve you doing something absurd could definitely use a clip to remember them by.

I would trade in having screenshots for 75% of trophies for having a video clip of the one trophy that required me to jump a car into a low-flying helicopter while eating a burrito or whatever.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the screenshot thing is kinda useless for most game's trophies, and I really hate how trophy pops are not included in your video clips. I had a few instances where I could've made a tutorial for glitched achievements and without the trophy pop shown it was pointless.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Not very often, and after a while I got sick of seeing both the trophy and picture notifications one after the other so I eventually turned that feature off. Saves time on deleting pictures saved on my PS4 as well.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will take screenshots of scenes I find interesting, sometimes while using photo mode. I sometimes share them, but usually they sit on my hard drive until I look through them and then delete them to save space. I find the trophy screenshots to be almost universally worthless. Blank/loading screens or trophy names that don't immediately make it clear what I've done to earn them make this feature one that I find more annoying than useful.

Rohsiph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The luster faded first for Steam achievements, then XBOX. I still enjoy PS4, and I think part of it is knowing it's saving a capture every time. Sometimes I'll dig back through my trophy log and it's fun to see more than just the date and description. It'd be nice if the system could notice when a screen is totally blank/loading, and even more if a short clip could be activated for certain difficult achievements flagged by developers... though I'm wary of video clips eating too much space on whats sounding like a limited (in space) specialized drive for PS5.

Maybe trophies will lose their luster shortly into PS5? For whatever reason, the changes they made from 360 to XB1 just killed any fleeting feeling of accomplishment I used to get from their 'toast,' so it's possible it could happen with the next gen switch.

Now the Nintendo Switch Achievementship system, that's where its at. Talkin' bout :bugsnax.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I look some times. I noticed that a lot of trophies are black screens (especially in FF7R), because it was like, "finish chapter X" and the screen grab happens during a black screen transition.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I turned them off as well. I care about trophies to some degree and will go back and look at what I've been given them for but the screenshot feature was a nice idea that wasn't particularly useful. With Hard Drive space on the new generation consoles potentially being at even more of a premium than it is now I can't see them sticking with it (at least not by default)

ThisIsACoolTag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've exported most of my trophies screenshots & videos off of the PS4 onto OneDrive cloud storage, so I have more flexibilty to do what I want with them. I like being able to see what I was playing 5 years ago, or looking up how long ago it was that I played a certain game & a rough estimate of how many months I took to play it.

Games such as The Witcher 3, where they label the screengrabs as the place you took them in and don't add a date, break the system though. I had three called Velen, Velen_1, Velen_2 that I had to manually add the date to. Yakuza/Judgment games use the place name for photos taken in game, but the game+date format for trophies.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoy the VR ones, as they often look like complete nonsense as screenshots. Other than that, yeah, I go through 'em on occasion, but it's mostly load screens or shots of nothing particularly interesting.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I keep forgetting to turn it off. None of the screenshots have been worth keeping and if they were I woulda taken a video clip of it happening.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I think I just like the trophy sound to the point that I turn up the volume when it's about to pop...

SuperKMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look at them occasionally to clear them out, as the sheer number of them that are just a black screen with the trophy notification on it is hilarious. In a "how has nobody fixed this after all these years?" level of hilarious kind of way.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did look through them a while ago and deleted most of them. Some were pretty cool, but the majority were just black screens.