Do you game with current gen consoles on a Hi-Definition or Standard Definition television?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By maxszy

I have noticed recently that more people than I thought use standard definition televisions with the current gen consoles. I know money is always a factor, but with the prices dropping incredibly, especially on the smaller models (such as HD Monitors that you can hook a console up to) it still has been rather surprising to me.

So what do you game on with your current generation of consoles?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demilich

I use my 720p monitor most of the time. Sometimes I use my SDTV when I'm using my computer at the same time (Raiding in WoW, playing SFIV in between pulls etc). Sometimes if by some miracle nobody is using our 52" 1080p I'll use that.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Got a 42 inch LCD Sony Bravia V Series, before I picked it up I played on a computar monitor. Want HD quality on the cheap? pick up a computar monitor and an Xbox VGA cable.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lunarbunny

If I wasn't using a Wii I'd be hooking it up to my 1920x1200 24" monitor (which has HDMI input).

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

HD of course. if you're still playing on a SD tv, then you're still trap in the time warp, and i feel sorry for you

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By HazBazz

HDTV all the way baby

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have a 26" 720p insignia, which does fine for my ps3 and watching blu ray movies.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cynical_M

i got a 32" 720p Samsung for my 360....works great....

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I haven't been that impressed by HDTV's. Sure, it looks slightly better, but it isn't worth the price tag so I've kept with my old SDTV. The only things that seem really impressive on HD are nature programs, and I'm not going to pay that much for some really nice looking nature programs. I'll probably upgrade when my current TV breaks.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demilich
Captain_Fookup said:
"Got a 42 inch LCD Sony Bravia V Series, before I picked it up I played on a computar monitor. Want HD quality on the cheap? pick up a computar monitor and an Xbox VGA cable."

Or you could just get a monitor with HDMI input. Or you could get an HDMI > DVI cable. Audio output is the problem for some people though.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

High Definition. Over Christmas, I took my 360 down to my Auntie, who still uses SD, and the picture looked horrible. I doubt I could ever go back to SD gaming.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joru

HD. I have a 720p / 1080i monitor which supports component cables. Had some trouble at first with figuring out the audio but overall it was quite easy to set up and it works really well. On a monitor there's no HD lag like on TV's and the pixels are much smaller which makes for a nicer view if you're sitting close to it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

No Caption Provided
I'm kind of in the middle, this is technically an SDTV, but it's pretty big, and WIDESCREEN!!!!!1111!1!! ...sorry. You'll notice the missing Xbox 360. It's in Texas having its Red Ring fixed. Notice that I've got the SNES hooked up, lol.  Also, that tiny little TV/VCR is up there for recording TV shows, because I still don't have Tivo.
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Captain_Fookup
Demilich said:
"Captain_Fookup said:
"Got a 42 inch LCD Sony Bravia V Series, before I picked it up I played on a computar monitor. Want HD quality on the cheap? pick up a computar monitor and an Xbox VGA cable."

Or you could just get a monitor with HDMI input. Or you could get an HDMI > DVI cable. Audio output is the problem for some people though.
"
About two years ago when I was eating just oatmeal three times a day I went to a local pawnshop and bought a 20 inch acer widescreen for 140 brand new with a Madcrapz VGA cable. Just brought it up as an option for guys on a real small budget.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By Icemael

I use a SDTV. It really pisses me off how the text in games like Dead Space is almost unreadable... developer's shouldn't assume that everyone have HDTVs.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bullet_Jr
TooWalrus said:
"
No Caption Provided
I'm kind of in the middle, this is technically an SDTV, but it's pretty big, and WIDESCREEN!!!!!1111!1!! ...sorry. You'll notice the missing Xbox 360. It's in Texas having its Red Ring fixed. Notice that I've got the SNES hooked up, lol.  Also, that tiny little TV/VCR is up there for recording TV shows, because I still don't have Tivo.
"
Very Nice, I have my SNES, N64, Wii, 360 and PC hooked up to my HDTV.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"HD of course. if you're still playing on a SD tv, then you're still trap in the time warp, and i feel sorry for you"
Keep in mind that some of us are in college, work part time, and don't have parents to buy us an HDTV.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Demilich
TooWalrus said:
"LiveOrDie1212 said:
"HD of course. if you're still playing on a SD tv, then you're still trap in the time warp, and i feel sorry for you"
Keep in mind that some of us are in college, work part time, and don't have parents to buy us an HDTV.
"
True, but there are cheaper alternatives. You can buy a monitor which technically counts as HD for under $100.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb

Up until a year ago, I had never gamed on an HDTV set. But for my b-day last year I recieved an HDTV and I'm completely blown away by the difference it makes.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus
Demilich said:
True, but there are cheaper alternatives. You can buy a monitor which technically counts as HD for under $100.
I'd rather play on a big SDTV (like the one in that pic up there) than a small HDTV. Though if my SDTV wasn't widescreen I'd probably sell a kidney or something. Widescreen makes more of a difference than HDTV does.
sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sdodd02

HD

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne

I am gaming HD, but I wouldn't call it necessary. What I find waaay more surprising is the people who are still on Stereo sound. If I had to sell either my HDTV or my sound system, I'd choose the HDTV without hesitation, because you wouldn't believe what good, properly set-up digital surround sound does for gaming. I heartily encourage everyone who is still on Stereo to look into the world of proper surround. It's much more of an improvement than HD over SD.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

HDTV, I wouldn't be able to stand it on a SDTV.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
Meowayne said:
"I am gaming HD, but I wouldn't call it necessary. What I find waaay more surprising is the people who are still on Stereo sound. If I had to sell either my HDTV or my sound system, I'd choose the HDTV without hesitation, because you wouldn't believe what good, properly set-up digital surround sound does for gaming. I heartily encourage everyone who is still on Stereo to look into the world of proper surround. It's much more of an improvement than HD over SD.

"

To a degree, I agree with you. I would rather have a proper sound system than something that sounds like it's coming out of a tin can, but I'll always choose an HDTV if it has an acceptable audio quality.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
Cynical_M said:
"i got a 32" 720p Samsung for my 360....works great....
"
Me too. Sexy beast, ain't it?
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By maxszy
TooWalrus said:
"Demilich said:
I'd rather play on a big SDTV (like the one in that pic up there) than a small HDTV. Though if my SDTV wasn't widescreen I'd probably sell a kidney or something. Widescreen makes more of a difference than HDTV does.
"
Really? I would think that the sharpness in the text and the edges would even make a small HDTV really nice.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince

HD.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

HDTV. I have a great 38 inch LCD that runs 1080p. My 360 and PS3 are hooked up to it and it is all I need :)

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MKHavoc

Still using an SDTV, but it's looking more and more like that'll end soon.
TooWalrus said:

"Demilich said:
"
I feel the same way.  It was getting to a point where the HUD in most games were out of frame for me.  I got a newer SDTV a few years ago because the old one was just unusable.  It's a pain just to get it to turn on.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VirtuaXav

I'm on HD too. I got a 42" Hitachi that goes at 1080i, I think...

But like Meowayne said, I'd really like some sweet sound comin outta some awesome speakers too. That'd do the trick!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Red

Both. My PS3 is hooked up to my dinky 15" EDTV while my 360 is hooked up to my larger, HDTV.

Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ubergeist

I have a 40" SD that I've had a couple years. I sorta hope it tears up soon so I can get an HD finally.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
TooWalrus said:
"LiveOrDie1212 said:
"

yeah, but there are really cheep hd tv's nowadays. a decent one with an average screen size may run around $200-$300. i know that may seem a lot to people like you, but its not that bad to pay it monthly with no interest for 12 months.
rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rexualhealing

Seeing as how I don't have any current gens beside the Wii (hooked up to a huge widescreen HDTV in my family's living room) the only thing I have hooked up to an HDTV is a Dreamcast via VGA cable and a PS2 via component (the Dreamcast looks superior, btw). Everything else runs through a small RF TV I've had since the SNES days.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I play on an HDTV, but for some games like Rock Band, it's kind of a pain in the ass to calibrate everything correctly. For that I'd rather play on standard definition. Also, my HDTV displays weird green auras surrounding player models and stuff as they move. It's strange, but I've gotten used to it.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bullet_Jr
OneEyedNinja7 said:
"I play on an HDTV, but for some games like Rock Band, it's kind of a pain in the ass to calibrate everything correctly. For that I'd rather play on standard definition. Also, my HDTV displays weird green auras surrounding player models and stuff as they move. It's strange, but I've gotten used to it.
"
It's funny what us gamers will do to play our games. I remember playing Sega games with my brother on a busted tv that didn't have sound.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Captain_Insano

HDTV, although that only changed recently. Just finished uni and have been working now for a few months so was finally able to afford that luxury. 36" Palsonic which goes to 1080i (I think) whatever it looks pretty damn good

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Claude

I'm still SDing it. 36" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen.

RIP_Icewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RIP_Icewood

I have a 47" 1080 Sanyo. Dont know why I picked up a Sanyo but thats the one I chose. Got it the same day I picked up my 80GB PS3 about six months ago.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By insanegamer

HD TV but i use with stanard when i first got my ps3 but now happy with HDTV.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DXSSI

I can't answer this poll.  My Xbox 360 is hooked up to the HDTV, but the Wii is hooked up to an SDTV because the Wii lags like nobody's business on the HDTV.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dauragon

SDTV, I can't afford an hd box just yet

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zityz

Both. My 360 , Wii and ps2 are hooked up to my 46"Sharp Aquos and my Snes and genesis are hooked up to a 27 RCA in my bedroom.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

HDTV.

My buddy has a really nice Standard Definition television, and the colors seem just slightly more vibrant on it, but for clarity's sake, nothing beats HD. 

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Karmum

I use my LCD monitor, and that is enough for me. Looks just as good as my HDTV.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Quadrifoglio

Well, I used to play in HD, but ever since I borrowed an SDTV, I've been playing on that.