Do you get angry sometimes while playing games and what to you do then?

• 96 results
haikuraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you get angry sometimes while playing games and what to you do then? (252 votes)

i never get angry 21%
yes, i have yelled at a computer 68%
yes, i have thrown a mouse or a console 20%
yes, i have hit the keyboard 26%
yes, i have thrown the computer out of closed window 3%
yes, i have done all of those 5%

Do you sometimes get really angry while playing some computer game? For instance because of getting killed all the time in same place? i have yelled at a computer (liked that would ever help :)

and hit the keyboard some times. I used to be more calm and i liked getting through games by myself.

But i started to play Chrono Trigger lately again for good times sake and got so much stuck with some golem that after some time using a lot of f.... words i looked for help from a walkthrough and carried on with some guilty feelings.

so i started to wonder do others get angry do their computers like me.... :) ?

• 
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The worst I get is just hitting my hand on the hardwood table, hurting it enough to realise I'm an idiot. Then quit the game/source of major frustration.

In Multiplayer I try and keep my cool a bit more and take it out a little bit at a time through talking. If it bottles over though it's better to just leave instead of saying something stupid.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

I think anyone watching me while I played a game wouldn't be able to ever tell what emotion I'm feeling. I don't really react to anything that happens while playing a game, regardless of whether I'm enjoying it or getting annoyed at it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

You can only throw computers out of closed windows eh?

Speedrunning is slowly teaching me not to care, since its all about putting in hours and hours just to lose it all. Now I can more often respond with an "oh" or talk about how stupid what just happened was, rather than being angry at it. I flip my shit still if its not my fault though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@tobbrobb said:

The worst I get is just hitting my hand on the hardwood table, hurting it enough to realise I'm an idiot. Then quit the game/source of major frustration.

Yeah, this is mostly it for me. Although I have ragequit games on the (3)DS numerous times, given how easy it is to just slam the thing shut.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I never really get angry. Most of the time I just chuckle at my own misfortune. If something's ever too bad I just walk away and come back later with a renewed resolve to conquer what I couldn't before. That's the only way I was able to beat Dark Souls.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten upset at some games I've played over the years, but never angry. Atleast not as bad as this guy.

Loading Video...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I only ever got angry while playing Arena in WoW because we were doing rather well then we hit a brick wall of teams which would dominate us. A lot of the time we couldn't do anything about it and arena started getting to the stage were unless you some classes got to be e-z-mode while others became difficult.

I eventually stopped playing in arena because it'd work me up and it just wasn't worth it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have sworn at a game, but never raised my voice/broken something.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really... I sometimes get frustrated and if it gets real bad, then I just take a deep breath and do something else for a while before returning to it. I rarely do much group content in games though (co-operative stuff mostly) because I tend to get super nervous whenever other people depend on my abilities.

Never been angry though, and definitely haven't thrown anything.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've cursed before, but I stop before it gets to the point where I feel like throwing something. That's usually a point where I need to quit and do something else for a little while, anyway, and then I come back to it with a fresh mind and usually get over the obstacle in a few tries.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I think everyone has yelled at a game at one time or another. The few instances where I've been frustrated enough to want to throw a controller I've simply turned the game off. If it's making you that angry why continue? Take a break and come back later when you're more composed.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yelled during the Bad Company 2 days because it felt strange compared to older BF games. It's been years since then.

Banged the keyboard several times in my time, but I haven't done it in years.

Only broke one peripheral: my (good) Dualshock 3 against the wall until it shattered (3 months ago) because trying to jump off a building after an assassination in GTA V was hell. FUCK consoles, they're fucking primitive in every way. So fucking frustrating to play that shit, gimme a fucking keyboard.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

Push ups and lift some weights.

No seriously. If you are feeling rage all of those things mentioned are just a way to let off steam to let loose your pent up excess energy. So do some physical exercises. It's a very useful strategy. Not only are you channeling that rage and energy into something productive, you are doing it in a very constructive and useful way, it's acts as a good stimuli, it lets out the anger, with adrenaline you do a better exercise, gaming is also very passive and a stretch helps with both fatigue and making up for lying on the couch/bed/sitting. You don't need to be some fitness junkie either, I'm a sloth essentially. It's killing like 3-4 birds with one stone.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will get incredibly grumpy if I keep getting what I feel is unfairly shot in FPS games. I swear sometimes my noggin would be a bullet magnet. Thing is is that I would get frustrated but keep playing, and then it would get worse and worse until I finally quit. Then I would be a grumpasaurus for a good hour. Never broke anything though!

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sworn and raised my voice against other players and AI, never over game speak though, always just to the empty room I'm in. Especially in dota. After a particularly shit match, all you can do is go for a walk and try not to dwell on it. That shouldn't be as hard as it is though sometimes. Which means I should probably do something to stop taking it as seriously.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What this topic makes me think of is Jeff Cork from Game Informer saying that he had previously broken about 3 Game Boys by smashing them into his knee in rage, and I can't help but think how goddamn painful that must be.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think everyone has yelled at a game at one time or another. The few instances where I've been frustrated enough to want to throw a controller I've simply turned the game off. If it's making you that angry why continue? Take a break and come back later when you're more composed.

It's pretty rare for me to actually get mad at a game, but when I do I pretty much just do this. People who legit flip out on a game kind of freak me out.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the most I ever raged at a game was the Monaco Circuit in 3D Dot Game Heroes. I probably spent a good two hours straight re-trying the same damn minute long bit of game that requires ridiculously precise timing to complete. I was quite possibly yelling, and was definitely shaking pretty badly by the time I managed to do it. The reward? A sword that makes completing another, MORE frustrating part of the game minimally easier. I never did complete that part, I just looked the other way at that point. Fuck that game.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@thelastgunslinger said:

It's pretty rare for me to actually get mad at a game, but when I do I pretty much just do this. People who legit flip out on a game kind of freak me out.

I agree. It's usually a pretty good indication they have anger issues in general.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure I've yelled at a game (I know I've yelled at my computer at work quite a few times) but my most frequent response to games that anger me is quitting that game, forever.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By BBAlpert

@boatorious said:

I'm sure I've yelled at a game (I know I've yelled at my computer at work quite a few times) but my most frequent response to games that anger me is quitting that game, forever.

This guy knows what's up. Being challenged can be fun, but getting all-out upset is not enjoyable. And since joy is (usually) the reason we play in the first place, a game that just makes you mad is probably not worth your time.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: This is going to sound weird, but... Can I...can I heat map you? Blink once for yes.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

I'm not the type of person to get super angry about anything.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'll complain aloud, then turn off the game if it gets too bad. I'm generally not a very good player when I'm angry. I don't throw or hit things.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaLe

@brendan said:

@cale: This is going to sound weird, but... Can I...can I heat map you? Blink once for yes.

I do have emotional reactions while playing games, they just don't manifest in a way that someone from the outside can see.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dreadful teammates in Dota makes me rage hard, but (unless they're actively being a dickhead) I try to save my rage for Twitter or something.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chop

I have done all those things and well, even worse at times.

At some point in my adult life, instead of screaming or hitting shit, I decided that laughing was a better way to deal with anger. Now when I get pissed at a game, I just chuckle at my own stupid angry feelings and now I have less holes in my dry wall!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I exclaim "this is fucking bullshit" over and over and over, and sometimes I'll get mad enough to start punching myself on the thigh/leg. I've gotten bruises from that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to give my armrest a single good downwards pound, but I think I almost fractured a bone in my hand once so I stopped.

Now I mostly turn the game off and walk around cursing its audacity to displease me for 30 seconds before I grow up and move on.

Avatar image for kqedequalsvolvo
kqedequalsvolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kqedequalsvolvo

The worst was when I was a kid (like 12?) and I threw a pair of scissors at my TV over Time Crisis. I had got to the end of a stage apart from one last enemy and the calibration was slightly out and I couldn't shoot em.

Embarassingly, I think I "lost" a PS3 controller to Demon Souls (i.e. I hit a wall in the game and my controller hit a wall IRL) and that was in my early 20s. I ended up using the broken buttons to decorate something. I tend to limit myself to shouting now and don't get so angry - I get pretty embarassed thinking back at how I angry I used to get. Now if I feel myself getting frustrated I save the game, go have a cigarette and do something else for a while. Clichéd and all, and gaming isn't always supposed to be 'fun', but it's never worth losing your shit over.

However, lost count over how many hilarious examples of hearing people losing their shit on online games - so, so much gold. Grown adults having to have "a talking to" on teamspeak, brilliant.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Like everyone else I have the "Fuck this bullshit!" response. If it escalates I drop my controller on the nearest soft surface and just chill for a minute or two(or just turn off the game).

The worst it's ever gotten was back in my Starcraft 2 days. I'd been playing a lot and having some real problems with aspects of the game, and I was playing with a friend, TvZ probably, and getting frustrated but wanted to keep playing. I lost again(probably TvZ) and slammed my mouse down and it bounced off my desk. It had a crack running down it and the scroll wheel was a bit loose, but it still worked. I cooled down almost immediately when I realized how dumb it was. Held onto that mouse for a while longer too.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll yell and say unkind things at the game if it does something SUPER dumb, but that's about it. No physical abuse.

JoeCoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have thrown a controller before, but now I raise it up and count to three and set it down gently. I have that split-second flare up type temper that is gone in two seconds, so playing games has actually helped me control my emotions.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I've gotten frustrated. If that happens I usually give whatever I'm playing a few more shots then turn it off. I'm fine being challenged but if I'm not having fun there's no point playing the game.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not the type of person to get super angry about anything.

That's the type of quality I want in my king!

Most of my anger is internalized, like I'll yell at the game but inside of my own head, I say horrible vile terrible things, I use every insult to any human being possible inside of my head, but it's all up there, and I don't mean any of it, but when a game is really getting to me that's what I do.

Occasionally I'll let off a singular "fuck, shit, damn" but it doesn't happen often and if it does I'm usually either by myself in the house, or playing a co-op game with my friend and they are more or less indicators that I'm in trouble/my health is low then it is me getting mad at the game.

When I was younger though I did hit keyboard or two, never out of super hard "I will break you" rage but mostly just a quick boof and then it would make that lock up ding noise when you hit to many keys and I'd stop.

But any anger I get, the second I get it, I am then over it, it is never a sustained thing, just a moment of "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEokay I'm god now"

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yes. Most recently I played that new Deadpool game which goes from generic action game to annoying piece of shit cheating die immediately bullshit garbage.

That's actually the first game to piss me off in a long time in that way.

When I realized what it was doing to me I exited and deleted it. It's never worth it to get that mad at a game.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Push ups and lift some weights.

No seriously. If you are feeling rage all of those things mentioned are just a way to let off steam to let loose your pent up excess energy. So do some physical exercises. It's a very useful strategy.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally just get super pissed in my head, followed by a deep sigh and then I turn it off for a while

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the logic of why you would get angry while playing a video game. Destroying your own equipment just seems like a person is a special kind of stupid.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only two games I can think of that really pissed me off were Infamous and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. Not because of their difficulty but because they felt cheap in one way or another. I remember screaming BITCH and having my mom ask me later that day if I'd got into a fight with my girlfriend or something.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By crithon

I used to be the worst, pulled out an entire console and threw it across a room. But then Street Fighter 2 came, and then I learned to focused and not give into the anger. Now, I just shut off games that are too difficult and go "I have better things to do."

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm not normally an angry person, but I did throw my Wiimote when I couldn't beat the final boss of Skyward Sword. I usually just curse at a game at a respectable volume when I'm annoyed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've probably thrown a Wiimote in anger a few times.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Used to be really bad about this while growing up. Even into my college years. Broke controllers and all sorts of shit. Dumb way to act out.

Eventually you learn to take a break when things get too heavy.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ben_H  Online

I get angry but not to that level. I usually just quit whatever I'm playing when I get mad and take a break. This basically exclusively happens when I play SC2.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm over here wondering how the hell you bypassed the 60-character title limit. Tell me your secret.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually throw my head back and yell 'I am a steamed ham' at the top of my lungs. I then have a candle lit bath

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I set Dark Souls on fire.

That was so dumb of me, I can't believe I'd do that over O&S. So easy now...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By nightriff

I have yelled at the tv, I have broken a few controllers and I have smashed a keyboard. I also put a couple holes in the wall. All of this was in my younger teens and don't (for the most part) do these things anymore. I get frustrated and talk sarcastically at the tv but don't yell anymore and I had a good stretch of not breaking anything or putting holes into walls, but in 2009 a game broke me. It was Uncharted 2 and I don't remember what caused me to break the controller but I was pissed and slammed it against the ground. I then cursed at myself and drove to Best Buy to get a new one while my brother was laughing at me. I wish I remember what literally broke me to do that (must have been a bad day) but if something from those games should've done that (and almost did) it would be the shipping yard bullshit from 3, that part was fucking horse shit.

EDIT: Like some have said, I usually rage quit before I get to those points, but some games I really want to beat and that is where I end up talking to the tv/myself and my wife looks at me funny for "taking it too seriously." Most recent example would be I raged quit Luigi's Mansion 2 on the second to last level and I was talking sarcastically to Tomb Raider on one of the stupid puzzles near the end of the game a few weeks back.