Do you like knowing how far you are in a game?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MiniPato

Personally I don't like knowing how far I am through a game. Whether it's a shooter or an RPG, I like to be in the dark when it comes to my progress. I don't like knowing when I'm toward the end of a game, especially when it comes to RPGs. I ask this cause I see a lot of people on forums, not just GB, asking people for help and they almost always ask how far they are into the game. Personally, I don't understand why you would want to know. If I waste good items on a boss thinking it's an endboss, I don't really care. If there's more to a game that I am enjoying, I welcome it. I don't even like knowing how long a game is because I would just be like "oh man I'm on hour 5 and they said it's an 8 hour game!"

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By JonathanMoore

I do personally, but that's because I play games frequently and want to know how close I am to hitting up the next game that's been sitting on my shelf for about 3 months.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

some games I don't mind asking about/learning about by reading forums or faqs and guides, but other games i do. like with skyrim i am trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but with saints row 3 as long as I'm not spoiled on story/mission stuff i am good.

so to your question I don't mind knowing how far i am along with some games, but some games i will cover my ears for.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By tourgen

no

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SadPatrol

Nope@tourgen said:

no
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Vonocourt

I like seeing that percentage go up duder.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By inkerman

Nope, kinda ruins for me knowing I'm near the end, or that there's a huge climax, but knowing it's not the end so I don't get that "Oh fuck yeah here we go!" moment.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

I like to know when I'm done with it, yes.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lavapotamus

I don't mind progress percentages or achievements unlocking that reveal the game's length. It usually drives me to just play for longer sessions if I'm anywhere near 90% completion. If I'm really enjoying the game, I'm usually relieved when I learn that I'm not nearly as close to the end as I think I am. I do hate actual spoilers, but knowing the general amount of hours left in a game's campaign doesn't bother me at all.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MiniPato

I don't know why, I just like to leave game completion unknown. I don't mind them showing me percentage or collectibles collected or anything, but story wise I like to be left feeling that there is much more of the game left. I don't intentionally burn through games just to get them over with. I like to savor them. And if I do burn through them, it's because I want to keep playing the game, not because I want to get the game out of the way. There are very few games where not knowing your progress pays off. The only one I can think of at the top of my head is Red Dead Redemption.

I seriously thought the game ended after you reunited with your old gang leader. Marston got reunited with his family and he lived on his farm as a happy man. Then I thought they just let you do some extra post-game missions to wrap things up with characters like Bonnie and to give closure between John and his family. Then the real ending hit and it was awesome. I think it would have been ruined if I had known that I was only 90% through the main story.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Pinworm45

Sometimes I like to know because nothing is worse than thinking you have a long ways to go and then sudden the game ends.

Also, sometimes thinking you're at the end and it continues burns you out.

But over all yeah, I'd prefer not to know I guess. One game I do like knowing is COD because those games end so fast I want to see it coming (although incidentally don't, because I beat it before I can even see my progress in the menu)

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By habster3

Depends on the game, really

Scuigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scuigi

I like being able to see how far I am in a game, but it shouldn't be displayed on the first menu or the savegame screen, etc. It's best to have that kind of information in the Options menu or something similar, so if/when I want to see those kind of stats, they're there, but they're not visible otherwise.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just depends on the game for me. I do if it's a game I'm getting tired of and I want to decide whether to slog through the rest or not, but when I'm having a great time I'd rather not know.