Do you like the hot new look for Giant Bomb dot com?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By zeforgotten
@fiberpay said:

@Deusx said:

I love how everyone bitched about big images when Polygon.com came out but oh no, everyone is happy with precious giant bomb with big images haha. I think it looks great.

I'm two posts above you....bitching lol. Well not bitching, I just said that was the only part I didn't like.

Those are not the big images they were bitching about when it came to Polygon, though. 

The pictures people were bitching about back when Polygon was interesting was the ones that took up the entire screen and that you had to scroll past to keep reading. 
Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#152  Edited By Mayu_Zane

@Sumbog said:

Oh, forgot to say, fuck default white background, black all day every day.

This.

And where are the review cartoons? :(

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By SharkEthic

Pretty positive first impression (once I switched to black background - really, just set this as the default). It's still in beta so I'll hold off nitpicking until it's further along, but , just a thing:

"This message was deleted". Don't care. If the message was deleted, just delete it. Nobody gains anything from this information and it only serves to clutter up the comment-section.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#154  Edited By fattony12000

Man, the bug report thread is fucked.

PAGE TYPE: Forum

URL:http://seaserpent.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/how-to-report-bugs-1423593/?page=3

LOGGED IN: Yes

DEVICE: Windows 7 personal computer, 64 bit

BROWSER: Google Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m

DESCRIPTION: Trying to edit and remove some text from a post that I made directly above another post. I get the green banner flashing up top, but then the post disappears completely, leaving an empty text editor in its place. Upon refresh, nothing has changed and all the text remains as before. This seems to be linked to not being able to post more than two consecutive messages in one thread, something, somewhere goes wrong and you're not allowed to even edit your previous posts until someone else breaks the chain.

STEPS TO REPRO: Try to edit a post that you made above another post, the issue might be related to video?

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#155  Edited By Dogma

I really like it BUT the only videoplayer that seems to be working for me without major hickups/lag/jumps is the Youtube one. Streaming won't start, HTML 5 and progressive have lag.

I have no problem watching streaming on the current site so it's a bummer this doesn't work.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#156  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'm still not sure how I feel about the new forums... hrm

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Nilazz

Looks slick as hell!

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#158  Edited By ManMadeGod

Like how the search bar seems to be more promident now. I use that thing every time I'm on the site

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By zeforgotten
@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Funkydupe said:

Hi, is there a better way to watch Endurance runs now? Like a proper Playlist system where related videos run without interruption?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_Y7CxaZkI&list=PLOjNcnTVUmy0KnhwGqspFVAhnBHJ1U16b

I just downloaded a Persona 4 playlist-thingy and edited it a little and then just use VLC to watch it. 
Same goes for the Jeff & Vinny Deadly Premonition-thing. 

Put the files in a .rar and up on mediafire for a buddy on twitter who wanted the playlist too. 
So if you guys would rather stream it in VLC then just grab the playlist files here
topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By topsteer

I like it, don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the new 404 page is amazing.

My only gripe so far is there's still only five podcasts per page, what the fuck

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Cloudenvy

I like it, I can't for the life of me find a way to delete images I've uploaded though.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#163  Edited By mutha3

I cannot believe they didn't fix the awful pagination for the videos and the podcast. That should have been bullet-point number one on the list.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#164  Edited By Branthog

No. I don't like polybomb, at all. (Or, rather -- I don't see how it is any improvement upon what is already here, in which case, what is the point of all the work?).

I thought GiantBomb's redesign was going to bring something new to the table, but it just looks like it's a late answer to The Verge, Polygon, and all the other 2012 sites that are adopting the same stupid square-blocks design that they claim may look bad on desktops, but great on tablets (which is also bullshit, they look just as bad on tablets). It's big on pictures and giant text and small on content. It takes way more real-estate to give me far less information (which is impressive, because I didn't think you could fit less information on the top half of a page than the current GiantBomb did). Compress that shit. Get me as much information as quickly as possible. Don't make me scroll five pages down to see something and don't take up 50% of the entire screen with a giant promotion for one single article and the giant photo-banner behind it.

The "twitter" shit takes up way too much space, too. Actually, it shouldn't even *exist*. If people wanted to follow those twitter-shitters (sorry, gang, but your twitter feeds are just really obnoxious and inane and not even interesting to those who practically stalk you -- much less the rest of the community), they would follow them directly on twitter. What a waste, spending so much screen real-estate on a constantly updated twitter feed.

Also, PICK A COLOR SCHEME. Either be black or be white. Frankly, I'd kind of like to see the site's color brightened up. It makes it more airy and nice. But the current page is an eye-killer. The top half is completely black, then the rest of it is bright white, except for the "coming up" block, which is totally black again (and therefore hard to read, amid the giant white background of the rest of the page).

Then, there's a ton of blank space underneath "top releases" that just seems to have gone to waste.

In short, try and be your own thing. Don't just mimic what other supposedly popular hipster 2012 websites have done. Have more respect for your users, too. Despite what the game industry and journalists thing, your audiences are not stupid. We don't need this USA TODAY-ification of all our content. We can be drawn to information and read things without having to be drawn to it by giant murals and pictures that say "hey, mouth-breather, here's something shiny".

And yes, this was a "negative" comment, because this is the stuff I want to see addressed. Blowing smoke up everyone's asshole isn't going to accomplish anything and this is probably going to impact how I/we consume the site's content for the next three to five years.

You guys shouldn't be following the lead of other sites. You should be setting the bar. Remember when your site's design slowly caused the rest of the gaming internet to reconsider their designs? Look at what GameSpot used to be. Now look at it. Very GiantBomb-esque. The idea of content being king and bringing the user information and quick navigation trumped all the advertising and mouth-breather-bait of the other sites.

I expected that's what I was going to see from the redesign. Instead, I just see GiantBomb being the one to play "follow-the-leader". While that doesn't seem to have resulted in an atrocious steaming pile of crap, I certainly don't feel inspired by it. In fact, I find the waste of space and indulgence in 2012's trend of "LOOK AT THESE GIANT IMAGES AND THEN FIND THE CONTENT SOMEWHERE FURTHER DOWN THE PAGE, MAYBE" more annoying, than anything else.

I'm also not sure it works on a black-themed website. This design almost works for Polygon and The Verge, because they are a white-themed site. That makes the giant waste of space and over-dependency on stupid images feel airy. The same style on a black-themed site comes across as claustraphobic.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By geirr

Looks okay; the wider font is a little off-putting for me but I can adapt. Definitely loving the "tape" on the podcast page and the ability to pin videos.

@Deusx said:

I love how everyone bitched about big images when Polygon.com came out but oh no, everyone is happy with precious giant bomb with big images haha. I think it looks great.

Never heard of it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Profile pages looking criss.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Words can't describe how thrilled I am to actually be able to simply pick a fucking page number on the Bombcast page so I can more easily access archived episodes, and that the podcasts are actually properly filtered so the 8-4 podcasts don't bleed through into the lists. I still don't understand why there can only be such a small number displayed on each page, though. But..

@Branthog said: 

No. I don't like polybomb, at all.

I thought GiantBomb's redesign was going to bring something new to the table, but it just looks like it's a late answer to The Verge, Polygon, and all the other 2012 sites that are adopting the same stupid square-blocks design that they claim may look bad on desktops, but great on tablets (which is also bullshit, they look just as bad on tablets). It's big on pictures and giant text and small on content. It takes way more real-estate to give me far less information (which is impressive, because I didn't think you could fit less information on the top half of a page than the current GiantBomb did). Compress that shit. Get me as much information as quickly as possible. Don't make me scroll five pages down to see something and don't take up 50% of the entire screen with a giant promotion for one single article and the giant photo-banner behind it.

Have more respect for your users, too. Despite what the game industry and journalists thing, your audiences are not stupid. We don't need this USA TODAY-ification of all our content. We can be drawn to information and read things without having to be drawn to it by giant murals and pictures that say "hey, mouth-breather, here's something shiny".

Overall I pretty much agree with this. Yeah, the site is nice looking, but the overall design just feels like a wholecloth imitation of what other sites are doing with Giant Bomb's own quirky windowdressing, and the picture-book design that throws huge square blocks and gigantic font sizes in your face feels less functional and also borderline insulting. I can read font sizes smaller than 16, and I can probably find new headlines without this site having to shove a huge image right in my face. 

If a redesign of a website is making it less functional and convey less information, something went wrong along the way. For a site built by people who allegedly love databases, wikis, lists, and so on, this feels like a blatant attempt at drawing in the lowest common denominator and despite how happy I am that the podcast page is actually reasonably navigable now, I don't care much for the underlying design philosophy at work here.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#168  Edited By Rhaknar

yes its good

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By StrikeALight

Looks great!

Months and months of hard toil, right there.

BananaHace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#170  Edited By BananaHace

As much as I love nearly every change to the site, the front page is kind of terrible unfortunately. It's not user friendly to have to scroll down an entire page just to look at more than 4 stories.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Vexxan

Looks good, wouldn't mind some more red in it thou.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ain't working for me. Don't care much either.

lord_python

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By lord_python

For Giantbomb to attract new members it kinda needs to look the part.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Rafaelfc

the new website looks fantastic!

I just wish they would fix the issues with the video player (not being able to play full screen on an external monitor on a mac is TERRIBLE) before the final launch day.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By cookiemonster

Looks greeeeeeaaaat.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Branthog

@lord_python said:

For Giantbomb to attract new members it kinda needs to look the part.

And then, it'll have to start acting the part. Let's hurry up and get those big-breasted females on camera licking gaming consoles and double-step those press-release repostings, stat!

If they're just going to follow the Zynga model by going for the biggest audience indiscriminately by mimicing what everyone else does, then I might as well seek a refund of the next three years of my pre-paid subscriptions and go read IGN or something.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Branthog

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

I don't know what 'criss' means, but if I'm deriving a definition from the context of its usage, I'm going to have to guess it means "holy shit, look at all that wasted space and how the top 45% of the page is just a giant image".

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#178  Edited By ArtisanBreads

What happened to the podcast season images??

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Branthog

@StrikeALight said:

Looks great!

Months and months of hard toil, right there.

For Polygon, you mean.

I doubt it took "months and months" to port their design.

Yeah, I'm making a pissy comment, because I thought we all just spent the last six months talking about the USA TODAY style shitfest that The Verge and Polygon were, design-wise.

I think the rest of us are going to have to create a greasemonkey script to take the 'retarded' out of the new design and consume the content without the giant empty areas and half-pages full of an image and title, instead of content.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By jimmyfenix

is your constant bitching really going to change anything ? you first post was fair but now your just trolling everyone who likes the page just because you dont like it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Branthog

@jimmyfenix said:

is your constant bitching really going to change anything ? you first post was fair but now your just trolling everyone who likes the page just because you dont like it.

Oh no, I've hit the criticism limit. Let me go hit the change machine so I can deposit more credits.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By handlas

It's nice. I feel it looks a bit cluttered. Like there isn't enough space between articles and such on the main page or the text is just slightly too big. I'm nitpicking tho... it's an improvement. Especially the video pages look great.

edit: Well, I'll say I'm not a huge fan of the big sidebar on the forums. Seems like this layout is better with the messaging taking up majoirty of the area...now the sidebar takes up a good 25%. Well it's just my screen size I guess. 13 inch laptop looks pretty squished... fine on my bigger desktop at work.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By FilipHolm

I like it! It feels fresh, only thing I miss is the forum-feed on the front page...

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Dauragon

I love it. The sticky vid feature is a game changer.

Joey_Connell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Joey_Connell

Liking it so far. Except that i can't change to a dark background, and i refuse to use the white.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By thedj93

your move POLYGON

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By jimmyfenix

@Branthog: you know what continue your criticism. it wont change the new website but its pretty entertaining to see you bitching!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By jimmyfenix

@Branthog: you know what continue your criticism. it wont change the new website but its pretty entertaining to see you bitching!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By JoeyRavn

Wait... dot com? I always thought we were dot net!

Apart from that, looking good. I'm really digging the new design.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By dungbootle

@Joey_Connell said:

Liking it so far. Except that i can't change to a dark background, and i refuse to use the white.

Upper right of the screen, next to your username, friend. Unless you've hit a bug of some kind and literally can't change color schemes?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By planetfunksquad

People complaining about having to scroll down lmao. It takes 5 two finger swipes on my laptops trackpad to get to the bottom of the page. The amount of effort that takes is PHENOMENAL I know.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By BSw

It doesn't seem to want to log me in for some reason, saying that my username and password don't match. Anyone else having this issue? I just reset my password to get in at all.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#193  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Fattony12000: Just from those images, it seems like there's a lot of wasted space.

This is just the way the web works. For one, it's really hard to get anything to really work across that many pixels. It's overwhelming, hard to read, hard to browse. For another, loads of people don't have 1920 vertical pixels on their screen. They might have 1600, 1280, or even 768 for old iPad users. So you have to pick a point and optimize near the center so it works best for as manyt people as possible. I believe 1280 is the vertical width that Giant Bomb is optimized at, it's pretty normal stuff.

Unless you are talking about stuff being big, in which case... *shrug*

Joey_Connell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Joey_Connell

@dungbootle: Yeah it's a bug it flicks to the dark background then reloads the homepage. Thanks for the advice though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By napalm

The homepage is cluttered garbage.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Palmlykta

I think I'm supposed to view this on a retina tablet... everything is too big and the serif font is a step back in terms of text readability.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By SharkEthic

@Branthog said:

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

I don't know what 'criss' means, but if I'm deriving a definition from the context of its usage, I'm going to have to guess it means "holy shit, look at all that wasted space and how the top 45% of the page is just a giant image".

I'm not nearly as bummed out and pissy about the new site as you obviously are, but hearing Dave talking about how busy Alexis has been designing his ass off and then seeing the new "Ploybomb"...yeah, I don't know.

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By megasoum

I like the overall look of the new site but I'm seriously disappointed with the video page.

For a website revolving around its video content the page dedicated to that sure is lacking in the feature departement...

I guess it's just really disappointing to see that some features that have been asked by the community for years are still missing after a full rebuild of the site. Here's a list of what I could think off the top of my head:

• Tagging/Filters to split videos in categories. For example the option to see all Racing Game quicklooks or all Fighting Games quicklook etc.
  • Search by date or date range.
  • "Play next" on endurance run videos.
  • Showing the date posted and video length on the video page (on the page itself or when you mouse over the thumbnail for example).
  • No way to only show the GB Original Content and filter out the PR trailers
  • Would be great too to have an option with the video search to only search in the current category. For example if you go in the quicklook section (so you only see ql videos) and you search something you will still get results from Trailers, live shows, etc.

To this days there's still a bunch of videos I have no idea how I could search for them and I'm forced to go browse the list manually until I find them. Especially in the features section (How to build a bomb, how to move, office tours, etc).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Branthog

@SharkEthic said:

@Branthog said:

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

I'm not nearly as bummed out and pissy about the new site as you obviously are, but hearing Dave talking about how busy Alexis has been designing his ass off and then seeing the new "Ploybomb"...yeah, I don't know.

Sorry, but that's what it looks like. How much work Alexis put into it and what a nice guy he seems to be doesn't really have any relevance to criticism. This thread asks whether people like the design. Some of us don't. A bunch of patronizing attaboys doesn't help the end-product -- criticism does. And I'm sure that Dave, Alexis, and everyone else has enough experience (both with the internet and with design and production) to know that judgement of the produced material isn't a judgement of the person creating it. Further, as it is in beta, that's the time to voice the gripes and offer criticism.

If the staff of GB were a bunch of tender schoolgirls, I'd adjust my criticism with a lot more qualifications for sensitive temperaments so as not to make them cry, but they're not, so I won't. In the end, hey'll accept what criticisms they feel are valid and may improve their site and dismiss what doesn't or what they don't care to reconsider.

Being on the receiving-end of review and criticism of things I've produced on a regular basis, I know that the only important thing is the points of criticism and the specificity of it; not how gently it is delivered and how big a box of packing peanuts it comes in.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By h0lgr

I think it's a new and fresh look, I think the font change is gonna be controversial, but ultimately the change may end up for the better. 
It just looks fresh.