Do you like the idea of using tablets for certain next generation games?

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you like the idea of using tablets for certain next generation games? (182 votes)

Yes 15%
No 63%
Un-decided 23%

I have seen mixed feelings about tablets being integrated with games of the next generation. Some people say that they feel like they need to have a tablet just to get the full experience of a game. Others think it's a good idea but won't last long.

Personally I love the idea of using a tablet to help a friend out in Watch Dogs or command troops in Battlefield 4. It's a new refreshing twist to add to your game to make it that much better. I don't feel like I need one to enjoy the game to it's fullest.

Your thoughts Duders?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm sure there could be some cool uses, but as of right now I haven't seen anything that's wowed me. We'll have to wait and see I reckon.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

Yeah.

I like the GoT app that shows the characters and the map, the map is the best part of it. I think RPG inventory management would be awesome using smart glass. Or any sort of menu would be awesome, picking skills, assigning skill points, setting up matches inviting people to games. Lots of, maybe not the innovative stuff, but extremely useful stuff.

Halfdeaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Halfdeaf

When I get really hooked on a game I think about it all day long when I'm not playing it. I'm so totally immersed that I sometimes start to wonder if I'm just a little bit crazy. I'm not a big tablet gamer (I don't even own one) but I'm really interested in this feature because it's a potential way to interact with that game world that's consuming me at any given time when I'm not in a position to play the game proper.

Whether or not it's going to be successful or not depends on how they plan to implement the companion app. Will it be included in the purchase of the game, will it be totally free for anyone to play and potentially get sold on the main game or will they charge for it. I think we will see experimentation with all of those models but I think it going totally free makes the most sense as it might rope people in that otherwise would not be interested in a given game.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I just don't see any use for it other then someone else at my house helping me out with an ipad, which i don't see someone being entertained enough to sit around and do that enough to make it worth wile. Most of the other uses i can think of is for menu stuff that i would rather hit start and open a menu anyway. Something like a "directors commentary" would be cool. I remember MGS4 had that downloadable podcast for the game that they told you to go to a level, and they would start talking about all the effort that went into that part of the game. A more fleshed out version of that is what i would want out of that.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By angouri

It seems dumb. The developers have yet to justify it, and if my experience with the WiiU has shown me anything, it's that a second screen isn't necessary. Same is true for the DS, where the two screen are much closer together, and guaranteed to be there.

This is feature parity with Nintendo's gimmick, and it is just that. I will never be "thrilled and entertained" by calling airstrike from an ipad, or seeing a heatmap of where I died in *insert Microsoft shooter*

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Commanding troops in Battlefield 4 seems like a pretty sensible use of a tablet, so long as it's not replacing the option to use a M&K for Commander Mode.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

if it's done right, it could be rad. not as core gameplay, but as supplemental- why the fuck not? optionally off load menial menu-heavy tasks (like inventory management, crafting, lore-reading, etc.) to a second screen...that could be rad. ALSO- if they add a way for me to meaningfully participate in multiplayer games while i'm on my commute (and it works, mind you)- i think that'd be totally rad.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undecided.

It sounds like it could really have some cool applications. But how practical will it really be. Or will just be something that is a fad. cool the first few times you do it, but then pointless and a distraction, or just not the best way to do that thing you are using the tablet for.

Only time will tell. Once we actually get to see it ourselves with the games. And how the devs implement it.

Of course this is also all hinging on the notion that everyone has a tablet with the proper OS.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I certainly wouldn't say "go out and get a tablet, it's the only way to experience these games 'properly'" but if its a bit of hardware we've already got anyway... why not?

As others have said, if it's optional, have at it!

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FOr the stuff I've seen so far in Division and Battlefield 4 I think using my iPad 3 is awesome. Sitting in the park during my lunch hour playing commander mode in Battlefield 4 or screwing around with a drone ion someone elses division game sounds fantastic to me.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Developers can always justify a feature if it's well executed and/or innovative enough. So to that end, sure.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

On the surface (er, no pun intended), no, it's cool to have these sort of things integrated but honestly, I'd rather that the Xbone/PS4 had taken the Gamepad and improved upon it (at least PS4 has Vita connectivity). I'm not super into the idea of either putting down a controller and picking up a tablet for a moment or just playing with a tablet entirely. Then again I think part of the idea is that it might allow a new audience to get in on games like The Division without the barrier to entry a controller might present, I'm not necessarily the audience for the feature, and that's okay.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ExplodeMode

I don't think so. Looking up and down constantly is pretty annoying. It can work with something passive like a TV show or a Baseball game, but video games are too engaging.

Having a second person wanting to control something in the game with a tablet seems like a really edge case. And I don't think that would hold their attention as long as just letting them play along with a normal controller would.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's cool controlling everything in Watch_Dogs while my friend is playing. But if you have to pay for those apps, I'm out.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By devilzrule27

Undecided.

It sounds like it could really have some cool applications. But how practical will it really be. Or will just be something that is a fad. cool the first few times you do it, but then pointless and a distraction, or just not the best way to do that thing you are using the tablet for.

Only time will tell. Once we actually get to see it ourselves with the games. And how the devs implement it.

Of course this is also all hinging on the notion that everyone has a tablet with the proper OS.

Microsoft was at least smart enough to put out smartglass on Windows 8, IOS, and Android. It's also on smart phones.

That said I'm not sold on "second screen" gaming. The idea of someone on a tablet jumping into my game seems kind of silly and any use of it that requires me to take my eyes off of the TV while playing will probably be bad. The one saving grace could be if it lets you handle periphery things before playing or during lapses in play, like setting up things for multiplayer.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

No, I really don't want to have to be awkwardly switching between a controller and my phone or something.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

With two qualifications:

• It has to be completely optional
  • Its function cannot be needed in the middle of a tense moment (i.e. don't make me look at a tablet when I'm fighting two mechs on foot in Titanfall.

So, really, it could be used well for inventory management or a map or anything where you're messing with menus and stuff.

At first I thought you meant putting actual next generation games on a tablet and the answer to that is the biggest, fattest, most emphatic NO that I can express.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Not particularly.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By yukoasho

No.

Secondary devices only serve to break the immersion. It's kinda hard to get into the role of a badass hero when every few minutes you have to look away and grab your fuckin' tablet.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I don't have a tablet.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For certain games yeah totally. Obviously for some games it wouldn't work well cause it can break the immersion and make you lose focus. However for RPG's it could be amazing to have inventory management on the fly, detailed maps, quest logs, etc. For games like Battlefield and Watch Dogs I think it can be done really well as long as you don't need it during stressful situations, having to activate a trap in the middle of a police chase would suck with it. Multiplayer is where it can really be used well, like in The Division where they showed it being used to control a drone that can tag enemies. It allows for you to do stuff while waiting to respawn or act in a tactical way as your homies cover you.

Should it be a key part of every game? Hell no, but it can totally be used well. Also I can see publishers loving it because it allows them to sell ad space inside the apps, which as long as they are just the average banner shit I really don't mind.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure there might be some cool ideas, but nope. Couldn't care less. I only have two hands and if I have time to spare to get on a tablet and fly a fucking virtual drone odds are I can be doing something in real life much more productive, or playing the actual game in which case again I only have two hands. If I was Goro I'm sure I'd love it. But I'm not. It's just another stupid gimmick that developers will become disillusioned with over time and they'll migrate to another buzz word worthy thing to flog. It's happened before.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Like most others have said, as a supplemental tool it would be great. However, I don't like the idea of the tablet giving someone complete function to impact the game such as a droid. I want to see the tablet be used as an option for the person that's already playing the game, not for others to influence my game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a tablet and still, I don't know if that's what I really want in a game. I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling it's going to be more of a hassle than anything.

I just want my next-gen games to be bigger in scope and better looking, I'm fine with how they control.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By reisz

I'm not even remotely interested in a second screen unless it is right in front of me all the time ala 3DS or a second monitor. I couldn't be less interested in tablet additions to my games, and this is coming from someone going to buy a Surface Pro.

For instance I'd never even heard of that Game of thrones map thing until the stream last night. That is just something I never think about, It seems utterly insane to me that people are spending time watching Game of Thrones -not watching- Game of Thrones. Even if you're pausing it to look at the map. . . Surely that takes something away from the immersive nature of the show?

We're dividing our attention so much these days, how much entertainment do you need?

My primary concern about limiting gameplay experiences behind an ancillary device is it allows one more opportunity for exploitation, will a multiplayer situation come up where someone with a tablet -and- a controller is more dominant than someone without that second, wildly expensive, completely seperate device? What then? I don't want any part of that.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it'd be really cool the first and maybe even second time you do it, but after that. Fuck it.

I dont want to be that guy helping my friends game while im on a tablet or phone. It just doesnt seem very fun. Sure having people pop-in in little ways via tablet/phones in my games could be neat, but i really dont care.

It has to be FUN, and ive seen several examples of it during E3 and none of them seemed fun to me. Cool idea though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I still don't understand the point of a tablet. Everything it can do, you can do better with a smartphone and a laptop.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. If I need to invest in a tablet to get the full experience of my favorite games, then I'll be very, very bummed out.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

No. It seems entirely pointless to me.

"Hey, who wants to be the person on the tablet?"

"Not it."

"Not it."

"Not it."

"Fuck." *grabs tablet*

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sure, for certain next gen games that could be neat.

companion games could be neat depending on how nuanced it is.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gives you something to do while shitting other then playing Angry Birds.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its kinda neat. Specially how its displayed in Watch Dogs. But i dont think ill use it that much. Like the idea. THats it

Twinsunian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Twinsunian

No, no, no, no, no, no.

I'm waaay too clumsy for touch controls. Plus, buttons just feel more natural to me.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, maybe. It depends whether or not developers design lazy UI's meant to be swiped on a tablet even when you don't have one.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zeforgotten

Of course.
I think it's a cool way to get others to play with you and be Commander in BF4 or help hack stuff in Watch_Dogs or be the Drone in The Division.
It's not like the selling point is "Put down your controller to do this on the Tablet and then get back into the game"
Anyone who thinks that, either here or Microsoft or Sony should go right over there, face that wall people. Face the wall and just wait for the firing squad, your genes should not be allowed to carry on.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. It's not a standard accessory, so it'll be cursory at best. I like the idea of a second screen while watching TV, and maybe commander modes, but I'm not putting down a controller to pick up a tablet mid-game.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By djou

Undecided. Its a better idea to include family/friends, than the stupid and sexist suggestion of girlfriend mode in games. The popularity of let's plays is undoubtedly going to get bigger because reality check, watching people play games is fun, so its only natural to allow others to participate in a more casual way. But the big thing will be if its required and accessibility. If MS and Sony limit it to their devices then no one will use it, but it these apps are everywhere, iOS and Android then maybe.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By MildMolasses

I can only base this on my experience with Forza Horizon, but it was nice add-on that was in no way essential, thus didn't take anything away from the game if you didn't use it. Having constant access to the map and being able to set waypoints and find collectibles through it was a good way to supplement the experience without it being intrusive.