Do you like the rumble feature?

• 53 results
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you like the rumble feature? (174 votes)

Yes, it's great! 55%
I can take it or leave it. 35%
No, it annoys me. 10%

I was reading on the forum where someone was touting the rumble in the individual triggers of the Xbox One controller as a reason to buy the system, and I could not have cared less about the feature.

More than that. I actually hate it. Ever since I first encountered it, (I think it was the PS2?) I couldn't stand having my controller shake in my hands. People seem to think that it is more immersive, but it has always just distracted me. I don't want to think about my hands when I'm playing a game. I want to forget that they are there.

Now, if there had been some kind of feedback on the triggers, that may have been a more interesting idea. Such feedback goes in the direction we need to go if we ever want virtual reality. Take something like an Occulus Rift and motion sensing gloves with haptic feedback. Imagine playing Elder Scrolls 10 and being able to pick something up and the gloves actually make it feel like there is something in your hand.

Perhaps the rumble is just one small step toward that, but for now, I just find it to be an annoyance.

I always have kept the rumble off, but I think I'm in the minority. What about you?

• 
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I don't mind the rumble feature. It gives that feedback, like you can almost imagine the power of something. Like shooting weapons, destroying buildings all kinds of crazy shit, all kinds...

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well, i remembered when people missed the rumble on the ol' Six Axis.

So, people don't really care if its there, but they don't want it to leave is all.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excessive rumble can be really annoying but with really powerful things, like perhaps a heavy Sniper Rifle, it doesn't make me think of my hands it just reinforces the notion of the weapon. I find a little rumble strategically applied is good, I remember a lot of early PS2 would have rumble constantly active and that just made he hear the controller constantly.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By audiosnow

I like the fact that it exists, but I always have it universally disabled. I just get cleaner control when my hands aren't shaking involuntarily.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't turn it off, but I really don't care for it. After having a PS3 since launch, I recently replaced it with a super slim so I've only really recently actually started using a controller with rumble again fairly recently (other than occasional bits of xbox and ps2 play here and there) and I barely notice it. Except for when the controller rodeos its way around/off my desk when I put it down during a cutscene or something and it starts rumbling... >:(

I'm with you on haptic feedback though, I really want to head in that direction. I was excited when they announced the xbone triggers would have force feedback, I assumed they meant they'd be able to add resistance to the triggers and so on, which would have some amazing potential uses. More localised rumble should be cool too if they can have it limited to areas of the controller rather than the whole thing shaking, so it can be more of an environmental cue, but I just really don't care about rumble all that much.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like rumble ... never seen a reason not to have one

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Hate it. I always turn it off at the system level immediately when getting a new console.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WickedFather

When explosions go off it adds a huge impact. If I'm talking to someone and they say they disable rumble it's the same as somebody at a party saying they're a christian or are anti-abortion and depending on the circumstances I either feel disappointment or anger or some sick rising in my gullet that tastes like cider mixed with iron filings.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't mind it if it's only used occasionally. I almost always turn it off in shooters or any game that makes the controller rumble every single time you fire or swing your weapon, because that shit gets annoying real fast.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I don't even notice it half the time. I like when it's used sparingly like in Shadow of the Colossus. It felt really immersing in that game.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of those things that I'll probably notice if it's gone.

It's been a part of life since Star Fox 64 15 years ago.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I want to be able to turn off rumble at the system level. Some people love rumble, and that's great for them, but it's become very uncomfortable and distracting to me over the years.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Rafaelfc

I really like it when rumble is overused in cutscenes, some stuff happening on screen and the controller wants to vibrate apart. awesome!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, games feel weird without rumble. No rumble when shooting a gun? Feels off. No rumble going over rough track in a racer? Feels strange.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oddly, I rarely notice it while playing, but if it's off, I notice immediately and it feels weird until I turn it back on. I do hate when it happens during a cutscene and I have the controller on a table or something, though. Or when you're holding the controller loosely/in one hand, and it sounds like a hornet with a tiny jackhammer is trying to escape the casing.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it. When I first heard about the rumble feature in the triggers I thought it meant that the triggers would give sort of push-back. That would have been really cool to simulate the trigger of a gun pushing back after the pin hits. Imagine the interactivity of the controller while firing an automatic gun.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

I think rumble can be implemented poorly, but overall I like it. I also enjoy that the Xbox One is working towards improving it. If anything I wish they had done more.

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot those things even existed. I don't really notice them most of the time, so I guess I wouldn't care if they were gone.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At its worst, I don't notice it. At its best, it feels right. Okay, so it's not super important. It's just become a part of the medium in some weird way. I don't think any moment of any game has ever made more of an impact because of rumble. I don't think. I mean, it's possible, I might not remember (seems like that would be saying a lot).

Okay, so sometimes when I leave a game on and watch a movie or show or play something else on a different input, and the fucking controller goes bonkers during some needless attract screen, that annoys me.

I got to be honest, my original thought on the Xbox One's trigger rumble (it being able to cause some sort of resistance) was potentially enticing, but just rumbling triggers is less so. Probably. I guess I haven't seen it yet. Maybe it's fucking awesome.

Also I'm drunk. So there's that. That's why I'm talking about fucking controller rumble on a forum at midnight on a Friday.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I have actually become so used to rumble that I barely notice it anymore. In fact the only game I can really think of that used it in a great way this generation is Limbo. It was a very subdued use of rumble, but that gave it some weight when is was finally there. It used it when the big ugly spiders rammed their long, thin, almost skeleton like and hairly legs into the ground. I will go so far as to say that Limbo has some of the scariest spiders in video games and the use of rumble only made them seem even more frightful and strong.

I guess I want developers to focus more on the use of rumble in their games in the same way they focus on development in general.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CreepyUncleBrad

When I first had a PS3 controller without rumble I realized how much I missed it. I've sort of appreciated it more ever since.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I like it but it isn't a selling point to me. Probably what I hate most about it is when I put the controller down during a cutscene and the controller VIOLENTLY rumbles against the table, hate that so much.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's almost alright when it's used just right, not too much, and only when it really counts.

Too often games would just blast it full power at the dumbest times, and almost completely throughout every cutscene. So I disabled it and never thought about it again. Now that I haven't used it in a few years it seems pointless.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I never noticed it when I had it, didn't miss it for this generation when I used a Sixaxis up until last year, continued not to notice it when I bought a Dualshock.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I had a controller that I constantly had plugged into my Xbox 360 with a Play and Charge kit, to ensure that the battery would always stay charged. At some point, the battery was so weak that it wouldn't even work without being plugged in. This also made it so that the rumble function stopped working in that controller. It was that way for six+ months before a friend came over, used it, and said "Why isn't there any rumble?" I really never even pay attention to it anymore and think that everyone saying how "immersive" the rumble triggers will be are kinda crazy. It will be novel for a few months and then we will forget it wasn't always there.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

I have one PS3 controller without rumble and one with... I pretty much only use the controller without rumble when the other is dead. I'm so used to it now that it's weird to not get the feedback. For instance, in FF XIII (which I'm currently playing) the rumble tells me when someone has been hit, when the confusing numbers on the screen might not tell me right away. I definitely insist on it now.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely care. I didn't miss it in PS3 for the bit it didn't have it. I guess it comes from doing so much PC gaming.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with rumble. As long as it's optional, I see no harm in it existing in controllers.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I barely notice it anymore.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By Yummylee

I still remember how buzzed I was about the rumble feature when playing MGS, specifically when Naomi asks you to put the controller on your arm during the part where Snake was captured. These days I barely even notice it; that is until I tried playing a game using one of my original non-rumble sixasis controllers and, yeah, like @subjugationsaid, it feels really weird without it.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buying a PS3 and only getting the six axis controller made me realize that i didn't really care if it had rumble or not. It can be a nice touch sometimes though, but more often than not i don't really care.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@shagge said:

Oddly, I rarely notice it while playing, but if it's off, I notice immediately and it feels weird until I turn it back on. I do hate when it happens during a cutscene and I have the controller on a table or something, though. Or when you're holding the controller loosely/in one hand, and it sounds like a hornet with a tiny jackhammer is trying to escape the casing.

My thoughts exactly.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Catarrhal

I've disabled that shit since 2003. You'd be surprised at how much battery life this conserves, too.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, i remembered when people missed the rumble on the ol' Six Axis.

So, people don't really care if its there, but they don't want it to leave is all.

Pretty much this. Don't think I've ever thought "good thing this controller has rumble" (except maybe riding rails in Infamous, but mostly just because it's so over the top), but I can imagine I'd miss it if it was gone.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Moonshadow101

My first instinct is "take it or leave it," but when I think back, I can remember a few situations where I found myself suddenly deprived of rumble. It's weird, deeply weird, like if someone ran up to you in the street and started screaming but no sound came of their mouth. In those situations, I don't just miss it, I find its absence genuinely disturbing.

So yeah, Rumble is great.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say it's necessary, but I do like it. I've gotten so used to it that playing with it turned off feels odd to me. Rumble is one of the reasons I actually prefer a lot of genres on the consoles versus the pc (unless the game in question supports it of course). It's something you don't get with mouse/keyboard.
I'm actually pretty bummed that the XBone will have rumble in the triggers instead of the resistant stuff that they were talking about on the bombcast awhile back. Having resistance on the triggers for something like Forza would be amazing, imo.
Maybe rumble in the triggers is cool though. It'll be interesting to see.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, without it how would I enjoy my collection of massage based Xbox Live Indie Games?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TyCobb

Psycho Mantis loves it.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the rumble. I always turn it off. Its just so damn annoying to be playing during a tense moment in a game and then your controller starts shaking like a earthquake is happening or something.

T0MBraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea, but until I get a proper hands on experience with it I guess its impossible to tell if it will be a hindrance or a benefit (adding to the immersion). Regardless, it's nice to see Microsoft trying to add some innovative features to their next gen console.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Strife777  Online

To me, it's one of those things where I don't realize how much I like it until it's gone. The sixaxis felt super weird without it. Also, without the weights used for the rumble, the controller feels way too light.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're stupid, and your opinion is stupid.

Aww, does it need a hug? I think it needs a hug. *hugs*

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I like it, in racing games a good rumble will let you know when your back end is sliding out and in a shooter a slightly different rumble near the end of a clip can alert you to reload without watching the numbers on screen, I want to say borderlands does this but I may be wrong, we've come a long way since the constant jackhammer days of the N64.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at a point where clicking a mouse to fire a gun feels much less engaging than pulling a trigger on a pad and having it rumble in response. It never used to bother me but recently it does.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me all of the force feedback baby, yeah.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I always liked rumble so I can only imagine at this point that even more rumble will be great

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, rumble feature is the third most missed feature of the old GB site.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Rumble is only cool when it is used well. It hardly ever is, though.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zeforgotten

Not really.
I remember not even noticing it wasn't part of the first Sixaxis controllers before someone mentioned it.
The only time controllers vibrate and I notice it is while playing games on PC(Battlefield) and the thing is on my table or PC case and I forgot to turn off vibration for it.
Explosions makes controllers go nuts, apparantly.

I also remeber those people who would say stuff like "Rumble should be in from the start Sony! Geesh, it's there for realism!"
Clearly none of those people have fired a gun, crashed a car or jumped.
"Holy shit, that explosion was right next to me. I could feel my hands tingling a bit" realism! woo!