Do you like to play games that are known to be brutally hard?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By animateria
MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrMuise

I voted yes, so no.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Akeldama

I Want To Be The Guy

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By flaminghobo

I usually play on the harder difficulty of most games, though there are some which I'll choose to play the normal or normal+* difficulties. 

*Such as Heroic instead of Legendary.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By animateria

The game Demon's Souls seems to have created a strong opinion in the GB community.

I think some of the discussion stems from the noticeable difficulty and challenge of the game.

Some absolutely shun it, some welcome the challenge.

Personally I started enjoying games that have a reputation of being hard, rather recently.

I played through Etrian Odyssey II where a wrong move, or a blind turn would pit me against extremely strong enemies (F.O.E.s) and cause a party wipe, losing 40 minutes of progress in the game.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Where I played all of the multiplayer portions solo (HR7) and had a numerous amounts of close calls and defeats. (Consider that a quest ranges from 20-49 minutes, and failing gives me nothing)

These games are fun, because they have those close call moments, where you barely survive a boss fight, or finally understand the method to approach the boss. 

The trial and error can get frustrating, but once it clicks, it is extremely exhilarating.  

I like the fact that I had to research on the internet how to defeat bosses in Monster Hunter, watched Youtube videos to prep for an upcoming battle I was unfamiliar with.  Researched what gear and what weapons to craft. 

When I went into the battles I felt like I had no clue what was going on, the youtube vids would give me a general idea, but actual implementation was up to me. I learned as I fought on, and sometimes failed and sometimes succeeded, learning new stuff along the way.

When I watched Demon's Souls I was very interested in the game. It seems like another one of those games that I'd find that same satisfaction. Granted, I know a lot of other people don't have the time, or patience for this. And I'm absolutely fine with that. Hell, I can't recommend Monster Hunter or Demon's Souls easily to any person I know.

(I wonder if this becomes the first post automatically? Edit: Obviously not! :P)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

NO 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Capum15

Not really, no, but Demon Souls or whatever looks interesting. 

Well, actually, I don't play "hard" games/levels by myself, but I'll totally play the hardest difficulty even with just one other person. 

Like, I really only did Halo 3 on Normal, but then did the whole thing Legendary in one day with one of my friends, then did Legendary 4-player about 40 more times later. Something about another person playing the same game with me that makes me play harder and think things through more.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I voted no, I am here to have fun, not get fustrated. I don't mind a difficult game if it's fair like batman arkham asylum where if you died, it's your fault. Unlike resistance 2 that if you were standing in the wrong spot your not suppose to, you automatically die and try again. I just play games at regular difficulty and if the game is really fun, I play it at a more difficult level, if not, I just shelve the game.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Branthog

No, I prefer to pay $65 to play a game that consists of pointing in a direction and mashing a button and having all the answers to things pointed out to me by onscreen assists that I can finish in one sitting so that I can feel like a super uber awesome hardcore gamer guy rather than get some challenge and a great length of play time out of something challenging for that money.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By animateria
@Capum15 said:
" Not really, no, but Demon Souls or whatever looks interesting.   Well, actually, I don't play "hard" games/levels by myself, but I'll totally play the hardest difficulty even with just one other person.   Like, I really only did Halo 3 on Normal, but then did the whole thing Legendary in one day with one of my friends, then did Legendary 4-player about 40 more times later. Something about another person playing the same game with me that makes me play harder and think things through more. "
I definitely like to play on harder difficulties when playing with other people, I guess I actually prefer co-op games in general, and with some decent challenge to boot.

I usually play my games on normal though, if the game has an option for difficulty. Only time I change it to hard is when either I'm playing it again, or the game automatically evaluates that I should play on hard.

I've only gone and played on easy once... Devil May Cry 3, I just couldn't get past a certain point and the game constantly told me to play easy.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Hamst3r

It depends on why the game is difficult.

Is it strategy or pattern memorization? I'm not interested in inching my way through levels to memorize the pattern.

Are the controls responsive or clunky? With responsive controls, the only one you can blame for not hitting the right buttons at the right time is yourself.

Is the difficulty making up for something? Such as a short game made longer simply by being harder.

It's a magic balance between making a game satisfyingly challenging and making it a tedious test of patience.

I'll play an insanely tough game as long as it feels like the only thing holding me back is my lack of skill, cause I can get better. Practice is possible. Changing strategies is possible. When it's just pure memorization and cheap deaths I'm not interested. When it's just a ton of filler to pad out the game and test my endurance or restrictive controls that make the game a chore to play, I'm not interested.
ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ryoma122

yes any one who said no is probibly on the wrong web site

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By demonbear

i dont have the patience for that kind of game. That was nice, back in 1990, when i was a kid and i could afford only one NES game a year. Now im buying pretty much every big game that comes out, so i'll never finish a game if its too tough.

Thats what the difficulty setting is for, you want hard? choose hard, just gimme my normal mode.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten

If I can skip Super Sissy Mode or Sissy Mode (Easy and Medium) and hop straight to Hard or Hardere-than-hard (whatever that might be called) then I'll do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Depends; I played through Megaman 9 and enjoyed the challenge, but I wanna be the Guy is just ridiculous and not rewarding in any way. The element of surprise can be okay at times but when you have to memorise that many different traps and make your jumps that accurate in order to get to the next checkpoint, it just isn't fun.

Today's games I'll play on normal unless I feel that enemies are going down too easily or I'm just breezing through without satisfaction.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By natetodamax

Nooooooooo

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

If its a game that i enjoy, regardless of its severe difficulty i'll carry on playing it. Though i don't go out of my way to hunt down games that hava severe eye-bursting challenge about them, but if a game has such difficulty I won't turn the game down because of it.
Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Matfei90

I like to enjoy my time with a game. I like a challenge, but nothing that will have me tearing tufts of hair from my scalp in a ragequitting frenzy.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By willin

To me there is a difference between hard and unfair.

Hard
 Hard

Unfair
 Unfair
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

It depends on the game. So many games some would call "they are really hard on higher difficulties", but all they really are, is cheap and unfair in certain areas, and have nothing to do with difficulty themselves. Thats why games like Demons Souls appeal to me, Ninja Gaiden 2 on harder difficulties I enjoyed as well, though the camera in that game plenty of times will fuck you over, I feel as in Demons Souls its always my own fault if I meet my end, and I get better at it everytime, and it remains fun.

Ive gotten to the point where I would play a Call of Duty game on anything but Veteran, however there is no denying the cheapness in their design on that difficulty for ridiculous grenade spam.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#22  Edited By Lazyaza

I hate hard games and I hate playing most regular games on higher difficulties, all it does is lead to frustration and wasted time for me.  

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By beargirl1

i'm playing through ninja gaiden sigma right now (at a pace) and oh god it's SO HARD  
but i love playing it. it's so satisfying 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Jeust

No... I like to have fun, not banging on walls with my controller.

Though i appreciate challenge, i don't like frustration. 

Life is frustrating as it is, i don't need more of it. :p

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By guiseppe

I'd rather have it too hard than too easy. I welcome a challenge, so if a game that interests me has a reputation for being insanely hard, I'm still getting it. The thing is, games that have that reputation generally doesn't appeal to me. Not because of the difficulty, but because it's mostly games of a genre that I don't enjoy or have no interest in.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Sdoots

Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. No unlabored flawlessness. Dragon sword only. Final destination.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By penguindust

I enjoy a challenge, but I am not looking for tedious extra work in place of solid game play or relentless frustration which stops me from advancing.  I've played enough games in my life where I have to replay the same stage 30 times in order to continue.  I'm not looking for those types of games any more.  And I don't want difficulty levels that demand meticulous precision or the memorization of strings of button pushes to succeed.   I'm looking to enjoy the games I play.  What I want is some challenge to keep things interesting but not the "Do not pass Go, Do not collect $200" style of play found in Demon's Souls.

I don't get any satisfaction out of beating a particularly hard boss after my 30th try.  I'm usually spent at that point and pissed off enough to not want to play anymore.  Games that do that, I don't bother even attempting to finish because they're not fun.  For me, they are anger inducing work and I have enough of that in real life.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The answer is probably not. I would love to say that I like playing really hard games, but stuff like Castlevania: Order of Eclessia (which has some of the most mind-numbingly difficult bosses in a Castlevania game) or COD 4 on veteran (Grenade spam ahoy!) try my patience.  I don't know how I feel about Demon's Souls and probably never will because I don't own a PS3, but the concept intrigues me even as the difficulty scares me.

However, I have beaten Halo 3 on legendary with a friend, which counts for something... I guess.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes, but I never master them. 

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Mushir

No. If it is just extremely hard then I can't enjoy. I do like a challenge but some games I've played have been just crazy hard!

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By wealllikepie

there should be an "occasionally" cuz sometimes i do when im in the mood

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I bought Demons Souls because I heard it was good, and it had point allocation. If you do things right, you won't die too often. I've only really died once. I died a few more times farming souls, but that was on purpose because it was part of farming souls.

I don't usually go towards such challenge, I'm usually the one to play it way safe when the consequences for dying are high. So it wasn't so much the challenge that appealed to me, it was the game. And it's a really good one.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By eroticfishcake
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By animateria
@AjayRaz said:
" i'm playing through ninja gaiden sigma right now (at a pace) and oh god it's SO HARD  but i love playing it. it's so satisfying  "
I thought of buying Sigma, but I stumble on action games that have a very fast pace, so I haven't yet...

Maybe I should get Sigma 2 which apparently is a bit more friendly. Though I expect, not by much.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By beargirl1
@animateria said:

I thought of buying Sigma, but I stumble on action games that have a very fast pace, so I haven't yet...  Maybe I should get Sigma 2 which apparently is a bit more friendly. Though I expect, not by much. "
i wasn't very good at super fact action games like Sigma, but after playing it for a bit, they really kick you in the ass and you can quickly get adjusted to it. i've tried the Sigma 2 demo and to be honest, it's faster than the first game, more chaotic. i'd recommend picking em both up, since sigma 1 could be found for around 30 dollars today. 
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By septim

I don't really get satisfaction from "beating" a game. It's more about being immersed in the action/characters/story. I get the satisfaction out of online matches with real people.

walang_hiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By walang_hiya

I actually feel such accomplishment after beating a challenging game.  so i say yes.