Do you listen to other music while playing games?

DrinkBourbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DrinkBourbon

When I play a game, I almost always listen to the soundtrack in the game. Recently, though, I began playing Torchlight. It's my first toe into the fantasy RPG pool. I really enjoy it, and the soundtrack is superb, but at the recommendation of my brother, I created a playlist specifically for when I am playing Torchlight and I disable the in-game music and listen to my playlist instead. It really helped to addict me to the game - once I figured out what the hell was going on - and despite the drain on my laptop battery, memory and CPU that iTunes is, can't imagine playing Torchlight without my handpicked tracks going. 

This is unusual for me (outside of iPod games like Words With Friends and such that have little/no/bad soundtracks) while playing a game, but it's real intense. Now, when I listen to stuff in that playlist outside of the game, I get cravings to play the game.  

How about yall? What games, if any, do you guys/gals add your own soundtracks to? 

P.S. My Tochlight playlist consists of  albums by Demons & Wizards, Luca Turilli, Rhapsody, Gentle Giant and Uriah Heep.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I often listen to podcasts during games that don't really need sound -- sports games, driving games, some first-person shooters -- but not music.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

For some casual gameplay I would just listen to podcasts and some light stuff.

I found that extreme metal works with Lost Planet 2 multiplayer demo because that game's shit ass quiet.

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By xerxes8933a

Not music, but I listed to podcasts while I play games.  Always fun when they start talking about the game I am currently playing. 

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By allprox

I always find it distracting, so no.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By themartyr

If I have the capacity, I like to grind achievements to the dulcet tones of the bombcast. Although I often prefer to focus on what is being said.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VIGGO123

I never listen to music while playing any major games that require total focus. But if I play casual games like peggle or trials HD music is a must.

smudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By smudo

If it's a game with tons of dialogue (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc.) I won't listen to anything other than the game's soundtrack for fear of missing something important.
If it's a game with no dialogue but still requires a bit of concentration (Team Fortress 2, Warcraft 3) I'll load up iTunes and listen to my own stuff.
If it's a game where I can just zone out and focus more on what I'm listening to (Shatter, Plants vs Zombies) I'll listen to some podcasts.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Allprox said:
" I always find it distracting, so no. "
Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Wildfire570

It depends on the game, if I'm playing Counter-Strike or Team Fortress 2, I usually play some music with it.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By lead_farmer

If I really like the game music and feel like it is important to the feel of the game, I won't.  Sometimes if I'm playing a sports game of something where I am just grinding and nothing is really happening, I'll either listen to the bombcast or some of my own music.

I mostly listen to other music when I play Borderlands, because sometimes the in-game music is kinda boring.

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sjhujh

I listen to Britney.... Only the early stuff of course... before the breakdown... (sorry My housemate is listening to it) 

I only listen to non game music when playing racing games or Independence FM in GTA IV. I've only just really start playing it since picking it up for PC. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

only jerks do that

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool

If a car racing game has the option of your own music, then I will go for that, which I used to do on the original Xbox, but I don't know any 360 car racing games that have that option - which ones do?

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By TerraDelu

I would love to, but my 360 won't recognize my iPhone. Anyone know how to play podcasts or music on a 360 from a iPhone?

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayross

I would... but I use gaming headsets, and I don't have any way to combine the two sources.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks

Very rarely, a lot depends on the game.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

All the time music, podcast and audio books. I think I would have gone insane if I had to had to listen to the music of Just Cause 2 for 40 hours or that god aweful DJ Atomika from Burnout.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@TerraDelu said:
" I would love to, but my 360 won't recognize my iPhone. Anyone know how to play podcasts or music on a 360 from a iPhone? "
Probably not. I would say use a flash drive or rip em on the Xbox.
SpazzyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpazzyMcGee

I always listen to a lot of punk and extreme metal when playing extreme sports games; Tony Hawk, Skate etc. Especially if I don't like the in game soundtrack.
Avatar image for deactivated-65fe9421b19ac
deactivated-65fe9421b19ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep I often disable the music in the game just to listen to my own.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By rjayb89

If I'm replaying through a game or I just don't care about the story in a game, then I'll listen to a podcast or something.  Trine for example.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By godzilla_sushi

AC/DC's Back in Black is the unofficial soundtrack to Just Cause 2.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By D0tti

I listen to music almost in every game i've played lately, but that's sport games and MW2, but also Dragon Age: Origins(i'm on my second playthrough so don't really need the VO and music).

intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By intoblivion
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" I often listen to podcasts during games that don't really need sound -- sports games, driving games, some first-person shooters -- but not music. "
Same
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Meltac

Unless it's Fifa 10, never.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By xMP44x

It really does depend for me. If I'm playing a game where I want to be immersed in the experience, then I won't be listening to music. However, if I'm just playing for fun and not for the experience, then I will stick my tunes on. If I'm playing something like Oblivion where you really need to be in the right mindset, then there's no music. But if I'm playing Just Cause 2 or something I might put music on to make the driving less tedious. Plus, listening to 'Original Prankster' by The Offspring just goes so well with that game.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Ferginator4k

Anything thats not by activision(or recently released if you're an Aussie) is a good deal on steam.

manurok1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By manurok1

I played the majority of GTA IV with a David Bowie album through my Xbox.

DrinkBourbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DrinkBourbon
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" For some casual gameplay I would just listen to podcasts and some light stuff.

I found that extreme metal works with Lost Planet 2 multiplayer demo because that game's shit ass quiet.

"
Big ups for Nasum!
ThePwnee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThePwnee
@SpazzyMcGee said:
" I always listen to a lot of punk "
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

Depends on the game. If I need to hear footsteps or other faint sounds to survive or win, no way. Otherwise almost always. Vocal-less music is best for gaming.

I run my xbox sound through my computer, which makes it easier than ever to play music at the right audio levels. Just start playing a track form the guide then pause it to mute all in-game music, then use the player on my other monitor.

I use Winamp and an output module called Volume Logic which makes everything sound similar as if they were mixed into the same original soundtrack. My soundcard also has a realtime volume normalizer (not nearly as advanced as the Winamp module though) which makes the quiet parts of the game full of music, and quiets the music when the game sound gets louder (INCREDIBLY handy for hearing voices in Dragon Age with my own music playing). 

I'm really surprised current gen consoles don't have a nice volume management setting for those who play music directly from their consoles, or a built-in dolby headphone downmixer from 5.1. I've considered rendering the mp3s using VL and output to file so the tracks themselves are adjusted the playing them through the console using a flash drive... but that's too much trouble. However I would do it if I had my PC separate from my consoles.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vextroid

I listen to the Bombcasts when playing online games. LIke MW2.

Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
deactivated-589b97df1f8d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I do listen to music, its gonna be while I play Lord of the Rings Online, using my Ipod.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By ReyGitano

I don't tend to listen to a custom soundtrack since I have a tendency to like most music. If I really need more background noise, I listen to the bombcast or let a video play in the background.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hourai

Only when playing online or doing something that doesn't require much attention. But most of the time I don't have anything playing since playlists don't seem to work in game.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Akeldama

Yes I do. Aborted's new EP goes great with Torchlight.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's contingent on the game. If it's a racing game, I'll almost certainly be listening to other stuff simultaneously. Other games, games more dependent on their sound (like first-person shooters, for instance), those are the games I'll turn iTunes off for. 

Avatar image for thenewagentdandb
TheNewAgentDandB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheNewAgentDandB

I only listen to music on my iPod, when I'm playing a racing game. Any other game I listen to the games soundtrack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By WalkerTR77
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
"I often listen to podcasts during games that don't really need sound -- sports games, driving games, some first-person shooters -- but not music."

That goes for me.  

Additionally Gears of War 1, Insane mode, Tom Jones, greatest hits. Trust me you can't beat this for hillarious gory fun.
RobJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RobJ

When I play action games or FPS I listen to heavy metal. When I play RPG's I usually listen to the music from the game itself.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ThePencil

I will kid you not, I listened to Rammstein whilst playing Viva Pinata when I first got it. It was frelling awesome!

Other than that, yeah on and off I'll listen to something else whilst playing a game.

Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rirobuge

If the game isn't very story heavy I'll listen most of the time. But if it does rely on story I usually just listen to music during down time but not when things are happening.