Do you remember your first "It's Tuesday"?

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Niceanims

In the summer of 2010, someone posted a thread on 4chan.

No Caption Provided

>I love 4chan!

I love these guys.

It had a quote "I love 4chan!" Followed by the OP saying "I love these guys." The attached picture was four cartoon men floating on a blue sky, jumping at the camera. I could make out the word "BOMBCAST" in the background. My current podcast feed was feeling a bit stale, so I decided I'd give it a quick shot.

It's been almost three years now. Back then, I was just about to start college studying computer graphics, but I still was unsure about where my life was headed, or where I wanted it to go. Because of this, I lacked drive and discipline, and I ended up floundering. I did manage to land a job as a graphics designer for the school newsrag in January, and it was around this time I visited the site for the first time, and began to watch a TON of videos, including the escapades of one Charlie Tunoku. Thanks to the newfound social skills, I found out about a new school in the area while I was talking to my boss. The school was focused entirely on computer graphics for video games and taught by people currently working in the industry. It wasn't accredited, though, and had little reputation beyond anecdote. I weighed my options. I remembered how excited the staff would get when a developer would take a risk and try something new and unique.

Take a risk.

At that point, I realized what I wanted to do for a living. It had slowly been dawning on me over the past several months, and in retrospect, it seemed obvious:

I want to make video games.

I dropped out of college, and used my college funds to get me into that school. When I got there, I was vastly outclassed. Half the students in the classes were already working professionals. The teachers came from big name developers like ArenaNet, Bungie, 343, and Sucker Punch. My work paled in comparison to theirs. I had never used a majority of these programs, but I was still praised for being quick to catch on and eager to learn. I now know these developers personally, not just as mentors, but as friends, and I am closer to achieving my goal than I ever could have been at college. It's the best decision I have ever made, and I owe it to Giant Bomb.

Ryan was an asshole, but a hilarious asshole. His brand of humor could always bring a smile to my face. In college, I would desperately stifle fits of laughter when I listened to the Bombcast in the library after lunch. The crew's passion and knowledge of the medium taught me so much about the history of video games, and to appreciate games on a much deeper level. That one podcast pretty much changed my life.

I've never met them, but the Giant Bomb crew will always be friends of mine, and it's very hard to see Ryan go.

Hey, everyone, it is Tuesday, July the thirteenth twenty-ten, you're listening to the Giant Bombcast!

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Niceanims

So, I pose the question: Do you remember your first Tuesday?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No. I've been using this site as my homepage for so long I really don't remember.

It was at some point in 2009.

Feels like a life time ago now.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, been following the crew since the beginning. Great blog post.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ah jeez, I don't even remember how I found Giant Bomb.. I want to say that I found it because I saw it on IGN somewhere. That's a true story. Don't tell me otherwise.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Since fucking 2005 or whatever I have on a weekly basis listened to these people occasionally talk about video games, Jesus this is so fucking bizarre.

Embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Embryonic

I don't remember specifically when, but I do remember being, initially, put off by extended conversations about arcade cabinets. Of course, I stuck with it and haven't looked back since.

WINDWAKER1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By WINDWAKER1

Back when it was the Arrow Pointing Down podcast. Like 2007 or something, Ryan and Jeff did it alone. They even read my question in one of those shows haha. GB didn't quite exist yet but it was close. Have been listening as much as I can ever since.

libb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've been listening since The HotSpot days, back when I was in high school. I think one of my first episodes was the infamous Korn "Gaming, to me, is a religion, and HAZE IS THE S#%^@!" incident. To think I've been listening to Ryan Davis on an almost perfect once a week basis for almost a third of my life is pretty crazy to fathom. I don't know how I'll get by without him.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yep. I remember the first video I watched, too. And the second.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a few podcasts before the one where they first tasted the hockey powder. Can anyone give me a date for that one? I remember playing WoW at the time, laughing my ass off and being totally unable to focus due to their candy testing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

It was one of the 2010 bombcasts I think sometime in the mid summer I wanna say? Don't remember the date exactly.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

It was from 2010. I don't remember the exact show but at the time I didn't have a phone that could hold MP3s or an I-Pod so listened to it from my old laptop while I played a game. I can't imagine doing it that way anymore. I was in a weird place in my life.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I started sometime in August or September in 2008. I had just started college and the 1up Show was gone due to the mass firings of 1up and EGM. I hated audio podcasts but figured I would at least try it. I immediately fell in love and I haven't missed a regular episode since. Its brought me nothing but joy and awkward public laughter ever since.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Arrow Pointing Down Podcast episode 2.

I remember the 9-9-09 podcast being an early one too.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Milkman

The very first one whenever the hell that was. Never missed one since.

buckydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was back in 2008, my last year of high school before moving halfway across the country for university. I hadn't really gotten into podcasts other than the Penny-Arcade one they used to do, and since those had slowed down to a trickle by then, I decided to expand my library. It was actually on one of the PA podcasts that Jeff was once brought up, and having vaguely understood the whole Gerstmann-gate debacle at the time, I thought I'd check to see where he landed (from what I could hear on the podcast, he had a site called "giant bong." Needless to say, I had to do a bit of google searching before I found the proper website).

I was initially resistant to using the site itself, as it was too small and quirky compared to the outlet mall-style convenience of the one-stop shops of IGN and Gamespot. What I wanted out of game journalism, and gaming in genearl, changed after I listened to the August 6th, 2008 podcast out of nothing more than curiosity. Curiosity quickly gave way to interest, interest to enjoyment, enjoyment to honest to god attachment. I was fully hooked on the Bombcast by the time I left for post-secondary education, and I remember listening to these chuckleheads as my bus pulled into the station of my small university town. I've been a faithful listener to the Bombcast ever since, and giantbomb is my favorite site on the internet because of it. Over the next four years, a lot in my life changed -the best years of my life gave way to the worst, and everywhere in between. But one thing I knew I could always count on through all the ups and downs was hearing Ryan declare what day of the week it was like it was going to be the start of something spectacular. More often than not, he was right. Tuesdays aren't going to be the same without him.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think it was the 9-14-2010 episode, i remember some serious PacMan CE DX talk, Halo, and Minecraft. And i remember seeing the Memebership podcast in my feed after i first subbed. Ever since Tuesday has always been a special day

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I have been on the site since it officially launched, and had tried listening to one of the podcasts at one point early on but gave up on it for whatever unexplainable reason. After the 2011 E3 live podcasts, though, I became very interested, and started listening to the new ones, and catching up on the old back catalog. I cannot imagine Giant Bomb without the Bombcast now. And I'm glad Jeff has assured us through Twitter that they will continue doing the Bombcast.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pweidman

Not much after this site was a thing. Can't remember. So many great listens though.

Never the same now, but it really needs to continue nonetheless. Now more than ever.

LoveMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually do remember the first time I listened to the bombcast. Had to be late '09 or early '10 - I was in NYC walking to the grocery store near 86th and 2nd looking for new gaming podcasts. I checked a bunch out at the time not impressed with really any of them. I stumbled across Giantbomb and saw this was Gerstmann's podcast. I didn't want to like it cause I thought Jeff was always a bit pompous. Fuck, was I wrong. I loved it almost immediately. Their voices were like honey, perfect and they had such chemistry and repertoire with each other. They could play off each others jokes for 10 minutes, I felt like I was kicking it with my friends. The first time I listened I was laughing my ass off in the grocery store aisles. They had some 20-30 minute spell on fast food - still trying to find that bombcast, has to be my favorite. <3

Fast-forward to now, they feel like actual friends. My fave podcast/ gaming site hands-down. I've listened to their podcasts when I've felt too stressed to sleep and they managed to take my mind off of my problems and help me have a good night sleep - MANY nights. Hearing about Ryan... Fuck. It feels like I should hear his voice tomorrow at some point and have to remind myself I'm not. Just, not able to process it. Already miss you Ryan - you were bigger than life. I guess the brightest flames really do burn out the fastest. </3

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Been following the crew since the Gamespot days and never stopped.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By oraknabo

Been here since day one.

After hearing Ryan at least 3 times a week for years I'm having a hard time imagining that I'll never see or hear him again.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By sjschmidt93

I listened to this episode of Rebel FM featuring Giancarlo Varanini. At the end of the podcast, he mentioned that he was also on this episode of the Bombcast the previous week. So I listened to it. I was instantly in love. For the first few months I only listened to the podcasts and never really looked at any other part of the site. But then I made an account and became part of this amazing community. As much as I am ashamed to admit it, the Bombcast did bore me for awhile there and I quit listening to the podcast. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was probably 4 months, at least. This was back when I listened to 10-15 podcasts every week. I don't even remember when this would've been so I can't really go back and listen to those, at least not without listening to every podcast. Now it's pretty much the only podcast I make time for.

ReddenBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I heard Jeff on the old 1up podcast and that's how I got into GB. Believe it or not, the first bombcast I ever heard was the Peter molyneaux muh bawls episode. I almost crashed my car I was laughing so hard.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 Dan_CiTi  Online

I remember listening to the first Arrow Pointing Down podcast. I don't know how it would feel going back to listen to it though, would be a bit freaky.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It was only the beginning of this year? Right before the PS4 announcement. I was looking for something new to listen to at work and it was on top of the video game podcasts list so I tried it. Ryan, Brad and Vinny were the only dudes on it because Patrick had broken his collarbone and Jeff was in New York or wherever for the Sony thing. It's always awesome to experience something as it happens, but I'm kind of glad, especially now, that I jumped on so late, because I feel like there will always be something new from Ryan whenever I want to go and find it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yeah. It was 5 years ago. I downloaded the podcast for my daily douse of public transportation. I had finished watching the first endurance run and was checking out what else Giantbomb had to offer at the time. I haven't missed a bombcast since.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone remember the Bombcast where they were discussing that forum-simulator RPG game? That was the one, I think.

But yeah, I've been a fan of the guys since being obsessed with Gamespot back in the Gamecube/PS2 days

toolzz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#29  Edited By toolzz360

First time for me was arrow pointing down cast number 1

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@dan_citi said:

I remember listening to the first Arrow Pointing Down podcast. I don't know how it would feel going back to listen to it though, would be a bit freaky.

This is true for me also, I've been listening to these guys since Gamespot. Maybe I will go back and listen to some HotSpot podcasts now

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was sometime after my first back surgery 3 years ago when I was looking for shit to keep me entertained. Decided to download a bunch of podcasts and fell in love with the bombcast. Since then I've been looking forward to any quick look or live stream. Last year I got the premium membership and its one of the best investments I've made. I have so many TNTs and Unprofessional Fridays left to watch and the giant bomb guys have entertained me and helped keep me sane throughout this shitty period of my life.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By JoeyRavn

Early in the life of Giant Bomb, back in 2008. I was in my 2nd year of university and I vividly remember going to the campus while listening to the Giant Bombcast. And still today, after finishing my Degree, a Master's Degree and working as a translator for the same university, I eagerly wait each Wednesday (because I'm in Europe) to commute with the company of the Bombcrew.

Duders. Remember what day is today. It's Tuesday.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@itwongo said:

In the summer of 2010, someone posted a thread on 4chan.

No Caption Provided

>I love 4chan!

I love these guys.

It had a quote "I love 4chan!" Followed by the OP saying "I love these guys." The attached picture was four cartoon men floating on a blue sky, jumping at the camera. I could make out the word "BOMBCAST" in the background. My current podcast feed was feeling a bit stale, so I decided I'd give it a quick shot.

It's been almost three years now. Back then, I was just about to start college studying computer graphics, but I still was unsure about where my life was headed, or where I wanted it to go. Because of this, I lacked drive and discipline, and I ended up floundering. I did manage to land a job as a graphics designer for the school newsrag in January, and it was around this time I visited the site for the first time, and began to watch a TON of videos, including the escapades of one Charlie Tunoku. Thanks to the newfound social skills, I found out about a new school in the area while I was talking to my boss. The school was focused entirely on computer graphics for video games and taught by people currently working in the industry. It wasn't accredited, though, and had little reputation beyond anecdote. I weighed my options. I remembered how excited the staff would get when a developer would take a risk and try something new and unique.

Take a risk.

At that point, I realized what I wanted to do for a living. It had slowly been dawning on me over the past several months, and in retrospect, it seemed obvious:

I want to make video games.

I dropped out of college, and used my college funds to get me into that school. When I got there, I was vastly outclassed. Half the students in the classes were already working professionals. The teachers came from big name developers like ArenaNet, Bungie, 343, and Sucker Punch. My work paled in comparison to theirs. I had never used a majority of these programs, but I was still praised for being quick to catch on and eager to learn. I now know these developers personally, not just as mentors, but as friends, and I am closer to achieving my goal than I ever could have been at college. It's the best decision I have ever made, and I owe it to Giant Bomb.

Ryan was an asshole, but a hilarious asshole. His brand of humor could always bring a smile to my face. In college, I would desperately stifle fits of laughter when I listened to the Bombcast in the library after lunch. The crew's passion and knowledge of the medium taught me so much about the history of video games, and to appreciate games on a much deeper level. That one podcast pretty much changed my life.

I've never met them, but the Giant Bomb crew will always be friends of mine, and it's very hard to see Ryan go.

Hey, everyone, it is Tuesday, July the thirteenth twenty-ten, you're listening to the Giant Bombcast!

It was towards the end of my sophomore year of high school it was May 13th 2008 I heard that the old Gamespot guys Jeff and Ryan started a new site and podcast. I was in the car listening to it on my PSP 2000 and laughed my ass off at them talking about energy drinks and keno (the keno jokes really got me as someone who lives in Reno). Ever since it has been my number 1 gaming podcast and influenced the podcast I host in a lot of ways.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do. I don't remember the exact date but it was during the summer of 2009. I remember them talking about Crackdown and how hot it was that day.

Before that day I only listened to German video game podcasts but I got somewhat tired of them and decided to check out something new. After listening to that episode (one of my first thoughts being how well the host led through the topics) I wondered if there were a lot of English/American podcasts of that quality. Turns out there aren't. I just got lucky.

I took me months to actually visit the site and it was weird having the images replaced that I had constructed from the sound of their voices. I started watching quicklooks and all of the random, stupid, dumb shit they put out.

Now here I am, a proud premium member of this site, struggling with the death of someone I never met yet know so much about.

Thanks Ryan Davis.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

Arrow Pointing Down: Episode 1

I vividly remembered my excitement when that podcast started, a time before he opened up with the class "Hey everybody it's Tuuuuesday". Speaking of which, when did Ryan start doing that anyway?