do you still rent video games?

• 81 results
katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Poll do you still rent video games? (470 votes)

1.Yeah, I get a new game every week! 1%
1.Yeah, I rent a new game about once every few months 4%
1.Yeah, I rent a game every once in a while 10%
1.No, I have not rented a game for a number of years 71%
1.What are video game rentals? 11%
2.I rent my games digitally 1%
2.I rent my games through the mail 6%
2.I rent my games through a physical establishment/Redbox 8%

Game rentals were one of the cornerstones of my video game consumption back in the day. After the death of hollywood video and Blockbuster I have jumped from rental service to rental service trying to fill the void. Do you guys still rent video games and if so what service do you do it with?

• 
Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nope, nowhere to rent them from except maybe PS Now, which isnt really the same thing. (Canada = no Gamefly)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By glots

I think the last time you could rent a game over at Finland was back with the PS1. The thing that comes closest these days is probably borrowing games from the library, whatever selected titles they might have.

That said, I used to rent a whole bunch of Genesis games as a kid. Good memories from back then, even if some of those games turned out to be either too hard or bad and I recall them also being expensive enough, so that my folks wouldn't let me rent them too often.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: I think PS Now has real potential (the relatively cheap prices, not having to worry about late returns) but the tech just isn't there yet (latency). Given enough time and support I think it could be great in a few years time.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't since Hollywood Video / GameCrazy (they like, kinda merged at one point? or at least inhabited the same building? I bought some games for super cheap when they liquidized)...was a thing. And I think only really for my N64, I don't remember renting for any other thing (I rented Vigilante 8 and Second Offense so goddamn much I should have bought them).

Also I had to google Hollywood Video in order to find out the name for GameCrazy. Haven't thought about them in years.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does gamefly still exist? If not the only other place 8 could even think of is redbox? Havent rented a game in well over a decade i think.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grulet: I was young enough when I rented games from brick and mortar places that I can never quite remember how much they cost, I think it must have been relatively cheap since I remember renting games for a week at a time, but my parents were also really loose with their money back then (lots of credit card debt) so who knows.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost mentioned PS Now, but as Corvak said, it's not exactly the same....and we still don't have it over here. Though earlier this year I finally managed to get past the connectivity test on my US account and gave the trial a-go. It ran surprisingly well, considering I was playing overseas.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: Wow, Boomerang is way cheaper compared to GameFly. Do you only get new releases or can you choose to rent older titles? also what's the game availability like?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I used to use Gamefly several years ago, but I stopped because it just didn't make sense for me anymore. I buy most of my stuff digitally now.

Edit: 10 months later and I'm still buying a large amount of games physically. It's about half and half for me now. I enjoy the choice. Still don't rent however.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

I've no interest in owning physical, waste of space.

This hurt

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Yeah it still exists. I got an email from them a few weeks ago that was like "come back to us!" I wanted to reply back "I only play on PC now, so...."

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There was a Blockbusters about 5 minutes away from where I lived so I used to rent games all the time but since they went out of buisness no, not so much. I used Boomerang for a bit and they were pretty good up until they got hacked and neglected to tell anyone about it. (got £500 taken out of my account) So yeah, that was the end of that. I miss Blockbusters...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would if there was a decent rental place around here. Redbox is my only option, and they cost a bit too much and don't have a great selection. I either buy cheap digital games, or get full priced games at best buy with my GC 20% discount. When I'm finished with a game I sell it on ebay. The most I'll lose doing this is 10 bucks per game, but I'm also keeping it for an extended period of time (a couple of weeks to a few months). Renting would be so much easier, but that just isn't an option.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By katpottz

@boozak said:

There was a Blockbusters about 5 minutes away from where I lived so I used to rent games all the time but since they went out of buisness no, not so much.

@rongalaxy said:

I would if there was a decent rental place around here.

It's a real shame that netflix killed video rental stores. Game rentals were so dependent on movie rentals places that when netflix came about they blew them both up. Movie rentals are better than ever now with online services like Netflix but game rentals are still trying to find their new home.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still use Gamefly, but I'm thinking about cancelling it soon. They take FOREVER to ship a game and I normally only rent games I'm slightly interested in and either end up playing for an hour or two or never actually playing and it sits for days/weeks. I buy everything else. Strangely enough they now offer DVDs/Blu-rays as well for no extra charge.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The last time I rented a game was probably somewhere around 2010 back when I still owned a console. I have barely even seen physical copies of games since then, let alone rented any.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I can't remember the last game I rented. In terms of when...let's say somewhere between 1995 to 1998. I honestly don't know though. Growing up my parents gave me an allowance and would buy game consoles for birthdays and Christmas. For the amount of games I played at the time, the occasional present, me buying my own games, and then replaying those games over and over were enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah ive had gamefly for over 12 years now.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acidpops91: Have you tried their streaming service yet? If so what do you think of it?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22 fisk0  Moderator

I don't believe video game rentals were ever a thing in Sweden (at least the Stockholm region), at least I've never seen any store carrying rental games in my 30 years, so I've never rented a game ever. I probably would have if it was possible around here though, depending on the pricing of course, there always was that odd thing with rental movies or even going to the cinema which was for some reason more expensive than just buying a copy of the movie on VHS, DVD or bluray, which of course meant I'd rather just buy it and watch it however many times I wanted.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Last time I ever rented a game I think was during the PS2 generation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I barely even buy games anymore.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By liquiddragon

I don't play the new releases so it's rather cheap and affordable to own and play a ton of games. Last time I rented was, I think, when Blockbuster had $1 per day rental. Actually, I rented Ground Zeroes at a Redbox for a day when that came out.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nope. I think the last time I rented anything was around 2007 or 2008.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread made me finally sign up for a gamefly trial. Definitely not going to keep the subscription because there just aren't enough games on ps4 Im interested in to make it worthwhile.

There are 7 games in my queue. 1 of them is uncharted 4, mostly for shits and giggles (I would be surprised/ecstatic if I got a copy sent to me). I hope I can get ratchet and clank before the trial is up, but I doubt it since it's new/popular. What I'm betting on is finally playing until dawn and/or life is strange + play the uncharted collection before uc4. I have the Talos principle and shovel Knight in as back ups. I only put in games I'd, absolutely, be fine with getting.

thisisdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh crap I forgot I rented until dawn out of a redbox. I clicked the haven't rented in years button. My mistake. That game was a perfect rental game.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time was with FilmFour or whatever it was. The one where you post the games when you're done, it was very useful when I was a poor student. Lets see, one of them was the Splatterhouse remake so it would have been 2010, which is surprisingly recent.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Makes me wonder: Is there such a thing as renting PC games these days?

Anyway; no. Not since the N64.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#31 riostarwind  Moderator

Occasionally Gamefly has a come back for a 1$ deal and I end up renting a bunch of older games for one month. Along with renting a few games from Redbox too. The fact that I can't get access to a bigger library of games to rent means I don't rent as often anymore.

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to play through the single player of Call of Duty and other similar FPS games, so I will rent those from Redbox. I am one of the few people who plays those games but doesn't care about the multiplayer. I don't want to pay $60 for a game that I will be done with in one afternoon and then never pick up again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not since the PS2 days I been playing PC for 11 years now so it's been ages since I rented a game.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The last game I remember renting was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for N64. That was also the first game I had personally rented in years. It kind of resparked my interest in video games in general, and at that point I had an actual job and could afford more lengthy games that would occupy my time.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What I've started doing is using amazon prime account to get game for $50 than if I don't like it or done with it turn around and sell it on ebay. I bought mlb 16 and sold it this week for $40. Cost me $10 to play it for like 3 weeks. Buying uncharted 4, and if multiplayer doesn't hook me I'll sell too.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, no. Not for over a decade. Last console I rented for was the N64.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking of cutting my GameFly membership. I always end up keeping each game for like 2 months, even if I"m done with it in a week. I'm halfway to buying it new at that point.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dunno what this gamefly thing is people are talking about but all the video rentals have gone way out of business where I'm at. Was great back in the day though.

I had an unexpected rental comp going on with a complete random over Sonic 3 and the time trial for Endless Desert. We kept renting the same cartridge out on different weeks and beat each others time each week consecutively for like 3 months.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ivdamke

Last time I rented was probably around 98'. Rentals to me are always those games you're not sure whether you want but think might be cool so you give them a try through rental. These days the best way to do that is just wait for a Steam sale, games get so cheap now it's not hard to just wait a year for them.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in my late twenties and I've never rented a game. If a game doesn't look good enough to own, I just won't play it.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes rent games from red box for one day just to see if I like the game enough to buy it.
The last game I rented was Street Fighter V a couple of days after release.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last remaining outlet for renting games in Ireland shut down a couple of months ago. I was pretty big into renting games until about 3 years ago. When i was a kid I would nearly HAVE to rent a game every Friday.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I think the last game I rented was Advanced Warfare for PS3, out of the Red Box at work. Before that... maybe Diablo 3 on PS3, also out of a Red Box, also a couple of years before the Advanced Warfare rental.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The last game I rented was Fallout 3 for the PS3.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

sometimes i pick something up from the library. most recently the PS4 version of Diablo 3.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't rented a game since the SNES era. I guess technically my parents rented them, so I guess I've never rented a game myself.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last time I rented a game was when Duke Nukem Forever came out. No way in hell was I going to drop full price on that game but I wanted to know how it turned out after so many years. For one reason or another, I'm pretty slow at completing games even straight forward linear ones and usually have a decent back log. So by the time I think about purchasing a game I passed by they are relatively cheap or have been in a decent sale and snapped them up. I rarely even buy games on release these days, I'm fine with waiting out most games till they drop to a price I want.

vg132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: There was game rentals in Stockholm back in the day but most if not all was removed during the PS1 era.

Used to rent some games for the NES and then the PS1 but that was just so I could copy them (kid with no money).

/Viktor

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@fisk0 said:

I don't believe video game rentals were ever a thing in Sweden (at least the Stockholm region), at least I've never seen any store carrying rental games in my 30 years, so I've never rented a game ever. I probably would have if it was possible around here though, depending on the pricing of course, there always was that odd thing with rental movies or even going to the cinema which was for some reason more expensive than just buying a copy of the movie on VHS, DVD or bluray, which of course meant I'd rather just buy it and watch it however many times I wanted.

They totally were. My local Videomix store had a pretty great selection of SNES, PSX and Mega Drive games. Before that there was another store that carried NES and Master System games. Videomix stopped with video game rentals in 2003 or so, and apparently threw all the PSX games in the trash. I nearly jumped over the counter and punched the manager when he told me. They could've just given me that copy of Symphony of the Night. :(

KristryMorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone help me in choosing video games for rentals? I am planning to rent some games for my son’s birthday (he is turning 10 ). I see a lot of options online and it's pretty confusing to choose one. My son is a great fan of video games like Battlefield. When I looked for game rentals online I saw (http://www.abbeyroadentertainment.com/event-services/event-rentals/game-rentals/) a list of games but I am not sure whether my son would like them. Can you guys suggest me any video games that a 10-year-old would enjoy? Thanks in advance.