do you still rent video games?

• 81 results
katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Poll do you still rent video games? (470 votes)

1.Yeah, I get a new game every week! 1%
1.Yeah, I rent a new game about once every few months 4%
1.Yeah, I rent a game every once in a while 10%
1.No, I have not rented a game for a number of years 71%
1.What are video game rentals? 11%
2.I rent my games digitally 1%
2.I rent my games through the mail 6%
2.I rent my games through a physical establishment/Redbox 8%

Game rentals were one of the cornerstones of my video game consumption back in the day. After the death of hollywood video and Blockbuster I have jumped from rental service to rental service trying to fill the void. Do you guys still rent video games and if so what service do you do it with?

• 
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By NTM

That's a lot of one and two choices. Anyways, nope. Last game I rented was Gears of War on Xbox 360 at a Hollywood Video. I like owning my games. Before that, though yeah my brother(s) and I rented a lot of games. After the five day rental was up, we would get another.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

@ntm: Oh man, I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone mention Hollywood video on the internet. I remember going there all the way back when they used to have N64 and Ps1 games. Ah, good times... Oh, sorry just going down memory lane here. Don't mind me.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I only intend to use Origin Access for a month. Originally for the Mass Effect trial, but now I'm 8 hours into Catalyst and am enjoying it. Probably play through Unravel and Furi as well. Maybe Hardline. See what I can do in a month.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: I believe I've seen a thread about Hollywood Video/Game Crazy and Blockbuster on here before.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I can't even remember the last game I rented; it must've been an original Xbox game.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By cloudymusic

Oddly enough, I've actually started renting games more lately, after not doing it for over a decade. The sheer number of good games that have been coming out in the past 12 months (far more than I can afford at full price) have really made Redbox a good option for me, especially for shorter games that I can finish (or at least get my fill of) over a weekend.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm cheap so I just wait a year or so and get it for half-price or less.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've rented a game since Borderlands. That was probably also the last time I stepped foot into a rental store. I've gone to a Family Video in the last year but that was because Little Caesars is attached to one.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm in the new game every week crowd generally but only because I recently starting managing a well-known game retail franchise location #humblebrag #actuallyitsnotgreat

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last game I remember ever renting was God of War on the PS2 didn't care for the game. Edit : Actually no I remember renting manhunt 2 that must of been the last game.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last game I 'rented' was a Ratchet and Clank game on PS Now on my sisters PS4 when the service first came out and I wanted to try it, it was like $5 for 5 hours or something preposterous like that, never again. The last physical game I rented was from Blockbuster when they were still around, I think it was Conkers Bad Fur Day on the N64, I remember not returning it too, it's probably laying in a box somewhere right now.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started renting games once in awhile when my local Red Box started getting copies. I have to say though, this generation in particular for games has almost killed it for me. It really sucks because of the massive download sizes for installing games and if it's a multiplayer game, now you have to download a probably large update file. It just really isn't as satisfying as it was before when you could just insert and play . Red Box can also be a little pricey in my opinion, so really, I think short story single player games are probably the best bet if you're going to rent from there. My time with Until Dawn was really satisfying since it wasn't that long and I beat it during a weekend.

dercomrade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I actually rented a game was in 2004. That game was MechAssault, at blockbuster, for Xbox, cost me like $7, and I literally only rented it to soft mod my Xbox. (That ended up being my total cost, I bought and returned the next day a memory card and action replay from Wal mart lol)

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rent through Gamefly when it's a busy season and there's multiple games I want play. Some games are worth playing but not worth buying IMO like Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Fuck I wish I could still rent games. Not even possible for me anymore.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Last game I rented was Splinter Cell Blacklist a few years ago, redbox. Sometimes I truly miss having blockbuster half a mile away.

ioanasima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I never rent a game.I bought used games, instead. I heard of this possibility, but I guess it's easier to do the one dollar sales hunt

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Redbox maybe 4-5 games a year. It's a convenient way to try games I'm on the fence about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is gamefly still as useless as it was fifteen years ago? New releases never show up and they just send you a last gen game from your queue?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6
deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find that games go on sale so fast these days that I just wait for them to go down in price.

I'm also in a financial position where I can afford to buy games outright.

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated rented games before memory cards. You have a week to get as far as you possibly can. And sometimes you don't even get your own save file if there is less than 3 saves in my family.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I bought a month of PS+ to access my complementary games catalog so you could say I just rented those games.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there was a way for me to actually rent games, I might have been quicker on a PS4 purchase. As is, I'm a PC and mobile gamer now and there has never been PC rentals.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt even know you could still rent games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andythemez said:

Is gamefly still as useless as it was fifteen years ago? New releases never show up and they just send you a last gen game from your queue?

It gives you the game from your queue that's least in demand and/or has the most in stock. I remove everything but the game I actually want when it's a new release. I've always had new releases ship the day before it comes out and arrive the day after.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Haven't rented a game in at least a decade. I rented games from Blockbuster all the time (bought my copy of Katamari Damacy there, too), but once they closed there was never a good option to replace it. I tried Gamefly but they always took weeks just to send me a game.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far as I know, there isn't a video game rental service that covers Canada. I could be wrong.

Lisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Lisker

Before I moved, there was a Family Video I would go to that let you rent a game for an entire week for just a few dollars. Pretty great deal.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Yeah! Especially for games I'm not too sure about. My roommate rented Breath of the Wild for the WiiU since he hasn't played a Zelda game since Ocarina and has been completely turned off by Skyward Sword and Wind Waker but he loves the hell out of BotW.

Myself, I picked up Watch Dogs 2 and holy shit, it's such an improvement over the first and I'm enjoying it so much I might just buy it since I have barely sunk any time into the main missions because exploring the world is so fun.

rojano17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not since Blockbuster went out of business, I guess its a combo of games getting cheaper and cheaper on Steam and me now having a decent income

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am an ADULT! That means I buy video games at full price and then never play them.