Do you tend to replay games?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you tend to replay games? (307 votes)

Yes, all the time! 20%
On occasion 63%
Never, too many games in the backlog 17%

Hey everyone, I was just curious to see others playing habits. I currently have a pretty large backlog of games, and constantly adding to it when there's a sale or I remember a game I haven't played. But as I'm looking at my list and staggering amount of games I feel I should play, I sit there and look at games I would like to touch on again, such as DOOM(Which I played once and kinda missed some story elements) The Evil Within 2(Just want to see it again) and games like Final Fantasy 15, Uncharted 4, and so on. I want to replay them because I feel the story and gameplay to them resonated pretty well with me and I really enjoyed all of them, but the moment I think about going back to one of them, I feel guilty and don't actually start one because then I remember all the games I haven't touched or finished, leaving me in a small limbo until just playing a game in my backlog.

So my question is this, do you guys tend to go back and play games, either just because, or wanting to get more out of it? Or is there people like me that tend to get a mental block when it comes to deciding what to play next?

Side note: When a new game comes out, such as God of War or a major release, I stop what I'm playing to play these or else they will get stuck in the backlog.

• 
nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

The ones I truly love (or are truly short).

My one exception is post-KOTOR Bioware. I used to play Bioware (and other good path/bad path games) once one way and once pretty much the opposite. I abandoned that with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

In those games, my choices and my character and the story told is something I get once. I play through the game and that’s my story.

Now, I played a boring paragon soldier Mark Meer Shep my first time in ME1, but my Biotic Renegade Jennifer Hale Shep was too awesome. I played ME2-3 once ever and am super happy with that decision.

With Dragon Age, I died in the end, so I had a new character for the expansion. But in all my Dragon Age fiction, there was one protaganist for each game.

I find that pretty cool.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By BisonHero

Nope, who has the time. I might play a game multiple times if there is a New Game + reason to, or some harder difficulty that is interesting, but I see that as kinda an extension of my initial play through, not really replaying it for the sake of replaying it.

I don't think I've ever recreationally replayed games I've already finished after roughly high school. That was the point at which I had enough money to buy plenty of Steam and console games, and less of a need to wring every bit of value from a limited game collection. It's actually kinda crazy to hear Dan say he plays Link to the Past every year; I have games I hold in that high regard (LttP is one of them), but I just don't dwell on the past enough that I feel like giving up the 10-30 hours to play through games from my childhood. That said, I have continued to sink dozens or hundreds of hours into certain roguelites and 4X games that are arguably repeating the same game, but there are differences at play there.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd say about 80% of my time playing games is spent playing "replayable" games. Stuff like Souls games, Civilization, Diablo, Isaac etc. And then ofc I occasionally replay certain campaign based games as well. Earlier this year I was entertaining the idea of stopping buying games all together. With the collection I have at this point I'm pretty sure I would've had no problem keeping myself entertained for a decade.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Constantly.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Yup, all the time. I'm replaying Lost Odyssey right now for no other reason than I simply felt like playing Lost Odyssey again. Thought about doing it for the achievements, then I realized it would be more fun to ignore all that shit and just go through it how I wanna go through it.

I'd rather replay an old game I know I'll love than a new one that turns out to be one I'm not as interested in as I thought I'd be. I used to try and force myself to finish games I bought just for the hell of it, but I stopped that because it was usually more torture than fun. I also stopped wasting money on shit I knew I wasn't actually going to finish by using a simple rule a good friend taught me: if you have to think twice about buying it, you probably don't want or need to buy it right now.

Mental blocks/decision paralysis was a big problem for me when deciding what to play next. Now, I just pick out a bunch of games I think I might want to play, stare at them, and within a minute or so at most, I'm 99.9% sure what I want to play next because there's always one game I feel stronger about than any other game in that moment. Lost Odyssey was recently that game, hence why I'm playing it now despite me having already beat it.

EMPRPNGN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sometimes. I replay the first Halo campaign every year or so. I return to Elder Scrolls games regularly, and am replaying the Witcher 3 currently. It isn't common, though.

DoubleCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nowadays its becoming more infrequent. I don't like to replay games without a good reason.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Almost never. I'd rather play something new.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Luchalma

I already had more games than I could ever realistically beat, and then I married a woman who had many more games than I did. So I have way too many games to even try to consider replaying a game. Most of the time. There has been times where I'll replay a classic, if I feel like it's been long enough that the experience can feel sort of new again. But, for example, I played my one-time favorite game KOTOR once in 2003, and it still feels too new and fresh in my mind to revisit.

MummyMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hardly ever. I have so much good stuff, though I like to replay a few things every so often. Spyro, Crash, Final Fantasy VIII, good times.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zeik

I probably replay more games than new ones, honestly. Even these days when I have a massive backlog of unplayed or unfinished games. Sometimes the mood strikes me to play a certain type of game, or a certain game specifically, and often replaying an old game is the only way to scratch that itch.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There are games I replay every few years (Persona 3, Fallout 1, Resident Evil 2/REmake) because they are GOAT but generally no. Too many new games, too many "classics" I'd like to at least experience, and far too little time. I'm not counting "endless" games like Diablo 2 or Path of Exile because every time a new ladder season or league catches me, does that count as a replay?

I also have the hunger for constant new experiences -- new meaning new to me, that is -- and that makes replaying games other than my absolute beloved ones difficult.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I might sometimes fire up an old game, but there’s a very low chance that I’ll actually play it for further than a couple of hours.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only RPGs and nostalgia champions.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, especially if I buy it.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

I tend to play games that foster replayability. I love score attack games like Cave shmups, run based games, and tactics/strategy games with procedural content like Civ, Xcom, Stellaris etc. I don't replay story games much unless the underlying game mechanics are really good and open to emergent gameplay.

Slowpork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished my second Witcher 3 run. And I've started DOOM 2016 again. However there are some games I thoroughly enjoyed like Yakuza Zero but I'll probably never replay it.

voltan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rarely. I have barely time to finish games even once.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah I go back a decent amount, but unless they are short (or I get really into it again) I usually won't finish. But there's a handful of games I've beat over and over like Bayonetta, DMC4, FF 7/10, Dark Souls, Jak 1, MGS3....

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On occasion. The most common reasons are branching paths (The Witcher 2), multiple classes with different mechanics (Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls), mods (Elder Scrolls), or a combination of those (XCOM).

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By MattGiersoni

I tend to replay games all the time, and it doesn't matter if it's a long title like an rpg or a very short title. It's usually games that I truly love and are in my imaginary personal top 20 let's say. Bethesda Game Studios games (Skyrim, Fallout 3,NV,4), Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls 1,3, Divinity Original Sin 2, Mass Effect 2, Persona 5, Red Dead, Stardew Valley, Stellaris, and most recently Yakuza 0 and Kiwami joined this list, plus there's many more. These are some of my favorite games of all time and usually every year around December and in the summer I'll replay 2-3 of them. Sometimes I will not finish them completely, but It's nice to experience even a bit of something you love and enjoy so much. From time to time I'll get an urge to play something out of nowhere and I don't feel bad, even If i have a backlog. Don't feel bad, ever, if you enjoy something, just play it.

It does not stop me from playing new games or my backlog because I can usually play 2-3 games at a time, so an hour or two in this game or that, a bit more on the weekends. It works well for me. Granted I do not watch movies besides the occasional new season of some show, so my "entertainment" time is divide between games and books. So it's definitely easier to do all of the above in my case, because I don't care about the movie industry like most people do.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put "never" because "on occasion" seemed too much. I could probably count the number of times I've replayed a game on my hands.

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't recount how many times I've replayed my SNES library.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It depends. I play a lot of JRPGs which tend to last a long time. I have, however, replayed Persona 3 and 4 quite a few times and I plan to replay Persona 5 when I can.

The one game I am constantly replaying is RE4. I have played it over 10 times now and I plan to go back to it again in the future.

Khessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put "never" because "on occasion" seemed too much. I could probably count the number of times I've replayed a game on my hands.

this exactly for me. I'm a one and done kinda guy when it comes to games. While I'm at it, this is also the reason why I never 100% games (but that wasn't the question so...)

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yeah, if it's a game I really enjoy. All the games in my top 10 list I've replayed. Did the same with the entire Souls series. Replayed God of War, too, even after I had already gotten the platinum for it.

megahill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah half-life 4ever

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Oh yeah, more than I play new games, even.

I mean, I’ve also played WoW since 2004, too. With breaks every few months, granted, but still.

Mattca123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

platformers yes, everything else no

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently playing Pure again, due to a lack in new good off road racing games.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only ones I really love that support multiple play throughs that may be a bit different.

Being replaying XCOM 2 for instance, I used to reply the Mass Effect games, I've replayed Diablo and games like that. But the games are very specific.

For example, i've been really really enjoying the new God of War. But as much as I have, once I finish it, I don't see myself playing it again just for the sake of it.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rorie  Staff

I do from time to time, often to the detriment of new games. I have a real hankering to try and go back and restart Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I also just restarted MGSV but that is a bit of a time commitment.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

Not nearly as much as I used to, now that I have more disposable income and less free time, which I imagine is the story for a lot of people. There are definitely a couple of favorites that I go back to every few years (Baldur's Gate, Resident Evil, Ocarina of Time, Fire Emblem, etc.) and a couple of comfort food games that I'll go back to whenever I feel like it. It takes a lot for me to want to go back to something for more than a couple hours at this point if it isn't a nostalgia thing or some sort of "I'm going to immediately replay this fairly short game on the higher difficulty" sort of thing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

Yes, definitely, but 'yes, all the time' is a bit much. I do it when I have no new games to play. I was recently going to ask a similar question actually! I was curious what 'good old games' people were playing. I'm currently in the situation of not having any new games to play, so I was curious if and what old games people were playing right now. When I mean old, I just mean games that came out anywhere in the past, be it last year or prior. I played a bit of Red Dead Redemption last week, just went through Spec Ops: The Line, and just an hour ago, after watching a YouTube video about the history of Half-Life, I played a bit of Portal 2. Now, I kind of want to go back through Portal 2. I also tried to get back into The Evil Within 2 to finish it on hard, and finally finish Dead Island remaster, but I'm not sure I'll do either right now. To be honest, I'd find it really awkward to even be into games if there was no chance of wanting to replay older games. Some games aren't really worth replaying, but I would hope every single game that comes out is worthy of many replays. It's also a reason why I never trade in or sell my games because there's always a chance I might go back.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted "On occasion," though the reality is it's far, far less than I did when I was younger. There are still a few "comfort food" games that I'll go back to, that are nostalgic for me personally because of where I was at in my life when I originally played them. Mostly I find myself playing these when there's nothing new out in my favorite genres, or when I get frustrated and rage-quit a newer game.

Some of those are: The Legend of the Dragoon (~8 runs), Final Fantasy Tactics (all of them, but mostly the original, like 7 runs), and the original Mass Effect trilogy (particularly ME1, I must have like 10 runs of that one). I've also got 500+ hours in Fallout New Vegas and nearly 600 in Civ VI, but that's not so much replaying as continually returning to.

As I've gotten less time, I've really started questioning the value of spending my limited gaming time on stuff I've already seen dozens of times before, and pushing myself toward new experiences. It's still a strong pull, though, to just settle in with a game that's like an old friend.

craigieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think with enough time any game can become fun to replay. A more story and cinematic game such as The Last of Us is something I probably won't come back to for a while still but I wouldn't rule out ever playing it again. Eventually my memory of playing it will not be as fresh and coming back to it will almost feel like a new experience in rediscovering all the aspects of it you've seen and even maybe some things you missed before. Games that rely more on the joy of the gameplay are ones I'd come back to more often such as the Mario games and big open world games like the Fallout series also have big replay value with so much to play and see.

Assuming most of us buy games rather than rent them for a weekend I think it'd be silly to just play them once and be done with them so I never rule out not playing a game I've already beaten.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Almost never, I'm always so concerned with finishing games I've never played before. I really should relax and just enjoy playing a game over again every once in a while. I have no problem going back through the Halo series with my wife over and over again or playing the old Resident Evil games for the hundredth time.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I re-play games a decent amount. Especially if I'm stressed. There's something very relaxing about playing a game you've played before. I've played through StarCraft 1 and 2 several times - something about the multi-tasking needed there that stimulates all of my brain simultaneously and gets me in a very pleasing flow state, especially if I am also listening to music or podcasts. If Ocarina of Time came to the Switch in some form I'd be pretty tempted to plow through that one again sometime.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Every year around July, I find myself restarting Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and from there replaying Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

If I really like the game, chances are I will play it multiple times. In December 2016, I played had three straight playthroughs of Uncharted 4. That game is just so good.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43  Edited By Nodima

Occasionally, leaning towards all the time. My most played game the past three years has been the Diamond Dynasty mode of MLB The Show, most of which is me playing against one of three teams with terrible pitching staffs on Rookie difficulty at the Colorado Rockies' Coors Field in September weather conditions at 1PM. In that sense, I'm literally playing the same game over and over again, grinding stats for player and team programs.

When it comes to regular story-based games, sometimes, usually if I really, really enjoyed it. I played the GTA V campaign three and a half times over (one was just watching and helping an ex-girlfriend through the game), to the point I wound up kind of hating every character in it, but I love the set pieces and progression. I've actually played every GTA campaign multiple times. I've also played each Uncharted twice over, I played Final Fantasy VIII twice a year until I graduated high school (so, about sixteen times over), I've played through Chrono Trigger twice and who knows how many times I completed Turtles in Time, Contra III or Ocarina of Time. I've played The Last of Us three times.

But I still don't think my base instinct is to play a game over. I certainly don't play games to "learn" them - when I was playing Bloodborne earlier this year, the primary way I got better was by having enough health and strength to endure all my bad habits until the health bar for the bad guy went to zero - it took me six hours to get to the Cleric Beast/Father Gascoigne, damn it (and if I hadn't broken and checked a guide, I'd likely have never made it that far)! So without a New Game +, there are games like God of War I just remember the early game less fondly once they opened themselves up, and I'd rather just replay that game with all my abilities rather than start from scratch, possibly on a harder difficulty.

The older I get, I actually get a bit of anxiety starting up a new game of anything and let the new games I get just linger there on the XMB while I fire up another game of The Show.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

The novelty of everything being new is too important to me. I can't go back unless it's something like Mass Effect and Dragon Age where you get different content in different playthroughs.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, it depends on length of the game and how long it's been since I've played it. I tried a new playthrough of The Witcher 3 recently and I couldn't do it. It dawned on me how much time I spent on side quests, gathering materials, doing contracts and crafting gear that it was all so overwhelming that I would have to do that all over again.

The same happened with Horizon: Zero Dawn and MGS: The Phantom Pain. Playing them again after a year or two from their release is really hard for me to do and I think it's mostly because these newer games are so densely packed with content. It's like eating a dense and rich layer cake and then next week, someone serves it you again and it's just not really the same experience as the first time and it feels more like work getting past it all.

Which is weird... because I replay Kingdom Hearts on the regular. I think it has a lot to do with that alot of the Kingdom Hearts content feels more optional. You can finish the game without fighting Sephiroth or crafting the Ultima Keyblade and still feel super satisfied when you beat the game. Sure, in the Witcher 3, you can totally skip on crafting Witcher gear and just use the drops to gear yourself. The problem with this though is that it's not very satisfying playing the game like this. Now you're relying on a random loot system and Geralt will look like a color blind Jester.

So really, open world games that are super dense in content are just not that enticing for me to replay through. But, playing an older game that I once enjoyed a lot is fun to do once in awhile.