Do you think OnLive is an April Fool's joke?

• 60 results
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

I was surprised by the number of people that believe this to be an April Fool's. And then again, it seems too sudden, and makes too much of an impact even to be real.

thoughts?

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By cloneslayer

Nope

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

It would certainly be an elaborate April Fool's joke.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

It might as well be. Not like it is going to work the way they say / want it too.....

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Snail
Hamz said:
"It might as well be. Not like it is going to work the way they say / want it too....."
I actually think that it is going to work, and that is what makes me believe that it is an April Fool's.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hamz
Snail said:
"Hamz said:
"It might as well be. Not like it is going to work the way they say / want it too....."
I actually think that it is going to work, and that is what makes me believe that it is an April Fool's."
But if it is going to work, why would it be a joke?....

Personally I can't see it working out the way they advertised. The numbers do not add up.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't know if i am buying the whole idea in the first place, but I am pretty sure it is real. As Hamz notes, it may be a joke when it finally comes out, however.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By deathfury

Well on April first, they are gonna reveal the REAL console, and its actually the phantom in disguise.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snail
Hamz said:
"Snail said:
"Hamz said:
I actually think that it is going to work, and that is what makes me believe that it is an April Fool's."
But if it is going to work, why would it be a joke?....Personally I can't see it working out the way they advertised. The numbers do not add up. "
This console wars has been going on for many years now, and the main argument against PC Gamers is "it costs a lot of money to keep upgrading the specs". now OnLive puts an end to this discussion, the winning side being us PC gamers. It just seems to have huge proportions, too big proportions, for something that was just announced and will be released this year already, and no one had ever heard of it before. It seems that it will work, but it is too revolutionalizing to be true. It would affect the whole PC industry in many ways, especially companies like Nvidia, ATI or Intel.

get my point eh?
libertyordeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By libertyordeath

No, it would be one very expensive April's Fools joke.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

No it wouldn't, even if it works (which it really can't as good as they hope) there's still a vast amount of ppl who will prefer playing in a conventional manner. And even if it works 100%, they'll certainly need a lot of time to be able to increase the amount of customers they can serve, so have a steady but slow growth. Whether it works or not, it won't change things overnight. But really, it's not going to work that good at all. And the PC market's doing well, better than certain publishers would have you think, hence new companies keep growing and taking the spotlight from those that leave for the consoles, like Stardock, Valve, etc that have grown from simply offering a game or two to serving the world.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OmegaPirate

i hope so else the elitists will have a fucking field day :\

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Snail
OmegaPirate said:
"i hope so else the elitists will have a fucking field day :\"
Dude, lately it feels like a dyslexic 7 year old took over your account.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hamz
OmegaPirate said:
Are you referring to PC gaming enthusiasts? My good sir, we have a field day mocking you lesser players and your faulty hardware on a daily basis. Hahahahaha! *snort*

Seriously though if it is an April Fools joke, L O L, they got us all.
NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Some tested and claimed for it to work.NooBToob said it works...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By gam3r3OOO
Snail said:
"I was surprised by the number of people that believe this to be an April Fool's. And then again, it seems too sudden, and makes too much of an impact even to be real.thoughts?"
hmm... wouldn't that be something?
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Systech

No, I think it's just a joke.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By grilledcheez

I don't think it's a joke...I however seem to be one of the few people that think it's a cool idea.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20  Edited By dsplayer1010

No

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By JJOR64
Hamz said:

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By teptom

Onlive may be a joke in working terms, but it's too real to be that type of joke.  The tech will evantually get better for this "cloud" tech and one of the big players will buy it and make it into something of their own or just make their own straight up. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive

its not april fools yet, so why do people keep saying this? its one of the most repeated and dumb questions i've sen on forums lately. 

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

if it is, then its probably the most expensive, elaborate, and convincing April's Fool joke ever created in the gameing industry.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive

where's the punchline? why would it be funny?

like i said, its a dumbass theory, its not even april yet
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OmegaPirate
Hamz said:
"OmegaPirate said:
Are you referring to PC gaming enthusiasts? My good sir, we have a field day mocking you lesser players and your faulty hardware on a daily basis. Hahahahaha! *snort*Seriously though if it is an April Fools joke, L O L, they got us all."
:P come on bro you know im down with the pc gaming scene :P ive played my share of online with you :p

Snail said:
"OmegaPirate said:
Dude, lately it feels like a dyslexic 7 year old took over your account."
And umm, would you care to elaborate buddy? i dont usually follow up on nasty old comments and what not but as im apparently 'doing it wrong' somehow i'll make an exception.

If it is because of the content of that post then allow me to fill out the response a little more for you :-

I am far from a pc hater, in fact i spent several hundreds of pounds building each iteration of my gaming rig, starting off playing games like commander keen and cannon fodder then moving up to unreal (not tournament) and starcraft. Proceeding into online gaming where i stayed with the unreal series of games at a competitive tourney level for about 5 years.
After this i moved over to counterstrike/source for the last 7 odd years - playing in various clans alongside wolfentsein enemy territory and the occasional dabble in C&C.

Nowadays my pc is still a powerhouse, running everything at a 1080+ resolution with decent settings into the 100's of fps - including crysis and bioshock (the reason for my last upgrades)
I have purchased labelled hardware for it, my mouse is a razer, my monitor is a WCG model, my surround sound and headphones top range.

Yet despite this the majority of my gaming is now done on my ps3, i dont  know why, i just feel more comfy there.
I still leap onto my pc in order tolay TF2, Left 4 dead, EVE and Warcraft FT on it regularly - so just to set the scene - im not a hater.

However there exists a group of gamers within the p.c gaming community that - as Hamz mockingly wrote - lord and mock console owners for having the 'lesser' end of the stick, whilst this is certainly true on a technical level - they take it to an extremeist level that is equal with 
the ps3 fanboys that cry about TeH POWaH!!!
The 360 Fanboys that cry out about TEH HAL0z!!!!!!!
The wii Fanboys that cry about TEH INN0vationz!!!

And its every bit as unjust and annoying.

The one thing that has been holding back the p.c gaming industry hasa been the hardware problems and keeping up with the jonses, whilst this OnLive service would certainly cure that - it would totally totally set the internet alight and give the eliteists the ability to claim 'their numbah 1 gaming powah spot' with relative ease - and it would be annoying as hell.

That is what i meant by my post, and i stick by it, eliteists are every bit as bad as fanboys and saying this would not cause them to seed their pants is - im sorry to say- just wrong - it would.
So if the comment was in regards to the lack of content in my original post, i hope that clears it up.

If it is regards to my recent posts - than i apologise if posting GDC content, asking for community opinions and replying to community game posts seems to be the behaviour of a seven year old 
Admittedly i do enjoy dabbling in the occasional dr_cash thread and posting a daft picture, but you show me one guy who doesn't enjoy that -and i'll show you a liar!!

If the comment was in regards to my typing and spelling? then dude, come on. For your information i AM dyslexic, and luckily pretty thick skinned so i'll shrug that insult off, i also have a condition in which one hand imitates the motion of the other, meaning a lot of the time mis-keys occur - once again, you have my apologies, i would usually go through and proof read everything and make sure that it was tip top punctual and relevant to the appropriate thread, but after working for 9 1/2 hours every single frickin day of the week im sorry to disappoint you but proof reading everything is at a low point in my priority list.

Finally buddy, im really sorry if i've let you down with my posting ir upset you in some way, theres no need for hate on these forums AT ALL, and i would really hate to fall out over something as silly as this, i hope this post has at least cleared up whatever it was that initially displeased you with my efforts  - and i also apologise with the lateness that this post appeared, been playign in between skype nd fifa - :D monday night is league Night! xxxx
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Well, the website's up and it looks sort of legit. I don't know if they would announce things like a beta sign-up for the Summer for an April Fool's joke, but I wouldn't put it beyond people to make an attempt at it.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OmegaPirate
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"Well, the website's up and it looks sort of legit. I don't know if they would announce things like a beta sign-up for the Summer for an April Fool's joke, but I wouldn't put it beyond people to make an attempt at it."
Man, this is either the worlds biggest hoax, or - a company making  alive streaming service, part of me really wants it to be a hoax, just for the effort it wouldve taken
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

No, I don't think this is an April Fool's joke. They wouldn't take up valuable time at GDC and various resources, risk enraging all those customers and shine such a bad light on themselves for a joke.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I totally think it's an April Fool's joke.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By PureRok

To those who think it's too elaborate to be a joke, may I direct you to the Zelda movie trailer April Fools joke?

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zoozilla

Can you imagine if it were an April Fool's joke?

It could be pretty hilarious, actually - a gamer subscribes to the OnLive service as soon as it comes out, and is super pumped.  He hurriedly gets the program running, logs in, is ready to play some Burnout, and....

RICK ROLL'D!

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Guardian

No. People don't spend that amount of money to say "haha fooled you."

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TwoOneFive
OmegaPirate said:
"Hamz said:
"OmegaPirate said:
Are you referring to PC gaming enthusiasts? My good sir, we have a field day mocking you lesser players and your faulty hardware on a daily basis. Hahahahaha! *snort*Seriously though if it is an April Fools joke, L O L, they got us all."
:P come on bro you know im down with the pc gaming scene :P ive played my share of online with you :p

Snail said:
"OmegaPirate said:
Dude, lately it feels like a dyslexic 7 year old took over your account."
And umm, would you care to elaborate buddy? i dont usually follow up on nasty old comments and what not but as im apparently 'doing it wrong' somehow i'll make an exception.

If it is because of the content of that post then allow me to fill out the response a little more for you :-

I am far from a pc hater, in fact i spent several hundreds of pounds building each iteration of my gaming rig, starting off playing games like commander keen and cannon fodder then moving up to unreal (not tournament) and starcraft. Proceeding into online gaming where i stayed with the unreal series of games at a competitive tourney level for about 5 years.
After this i moved over to counterstrike/source for the last 7 odd years - playing in various clans alongside wolfentsein enemy territory and the occasional dabble in C&C.

Nowadays my pc is still a powerhouse, running everything at a 1080+ resolution with decent settings into the 100's of fps - including crysis and bioshock (the reason for my last upgrades)
I have purchased labelled hardware for it, my mouse is a razer, my monitor is a WCG model, my surround sound and headphones top range.

Yet despite this the majority of my gaming is now done on my ps3, i dont  know why, i just feel more comfy there.
I still leap onto my pc in order tolay TF2, Left 4 dead, EVE and Warcraft FT on it regularly - so just to set the scene - im not a hater.

However there exists a group of gamers within the p.c gaming community that - as Hamz mockingly wrote - lord and mock console owners for having the 'lesser' end of the stick, whilst this is certainly true on a technical level - they take it to an extremeist level that is equal with 
the ps3 fanboys that cry about TeH POWaH!!!
The 360 Fanboys that cry out about TEH HAL0z!!!!!!!
The wii Fanboys that cry about TEH INN0vationz!!!

And its every bit as unjust and annoying.

The one thing that has been holding back the p.c gaming industry hasa been the hardware problems and keeping up with the jonses, whilst this OnLive service would certainly cure that - it would totally totally set the internet alight and give the eliteists the ability to claim 'their numbah 1 gaming powah spot' with relative ease - and it would be annoying as hell.

That is what i meant by my post, and i stick by it, eliteists are every bit as bad as fanboys and saying this would not cause them to seed their pants is - im sorry to say- just wrong - it would.
So if the comment was in regards to the lack of content in my original post, i hope that clears it up.

If it is regards to my recent posts - than i apologise if posting GDC content, asking for community opinions and replying to community game posts seems to be the behaviour of a seven year old 
Admittedly i do enjoy dabbling in the occasional dr_cash thread and posting a daft picture, but you show me one guy who doesn't enjoy that -and i'll show you a liar!!

If the comment was in regards to my typing and spelling? then dude, come on. For your information i AM dyslexic, and luckily pretty thick skinned so i'll shrug that insult off, i also have a condition in which one hand imitates the motion of the other, meaning a lot of the time mis-keys occur - once again, you have my apologies, i would usually go through and proof read everything and make sure that it was tip top punctual and relevant to the appropriate thread, but after working for 9 1/2 hours every single frickin day of the week im sorry to disappoint you but proof reading everything is at a low point in my priority list.

Finally buddy, im really sorry if i've let you down with my posting ir upset you in some way, theres no need for hate on these forums AT ALL, and i would really hate to fall out over something as silly as this, i hope this post has at least cleared up whatever it was that initially displeased you with my efforts  - and i also apologise with the lateness that this post appeared, been playign in between skype nd fifa - :D monday night is league Night! xxxx
"

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive

aprils fool jokes happen on april first. not late march. again, this thread is totally dumb. 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By brukaoru

I don't think so. Way too elaborate for a joke.

I do think that it's too early for this kind of thing though. The same reason games haven't shifted over to digital distribution quicker than they are now, a good share of the market still doesn't have broadband or the ability to run this kind of thing.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Snail
brukaoru said:
"I don't think so. Way too elaborate for a joke."

There is no such thing.

And Omega, I will be reading your comment (just let me finish reading War and Peace first.. yeesh).
Oh, and I misread your comment, sorry about that, that is why I criticized it.
And I will be reading your comment, when I don't feel lazy.

Ladies and gents, we are one day away from knowing.
DoMakeSayThink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DoMakeSayThink

This is so very dumb

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiggerBomb
systech said:
"No, I think it's just a joke."

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OmegaPirate
Snail said:
"brukaoru said:
"I don't think so. Way too elaborate for a joke."

There is no such thing.

And Omega, I will be reading your comment (just let me finish reading War and Peace first.. yeesh).Oh, and I misread your comment, sorry about that, that is why I criticized it.And I will be reading your comment, when I don't feel lazy.Ladies and gents, we are one day away from knowing."
No prob matey ^_^, man the tension is killing me xD
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crunchUK
Hamz said:
"OmegaPirate said:
lol

not me, i never gave a fuck about this
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Why would it have it's own booth at GDC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it did. This is no joke. If it is, well...it isn't!

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Godwind

Who ever said anything about being an April Fool's Day joke?  Can't OnLive just be a joke?

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Qorious

No. I don't think they would spend that much just for an April Fool's joke. 

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Keyser_Soze

It's a SCAM!!

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Ferginator4k

In my case its too good to be true, so i really hope its not an april fools

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PureRok

They just announced it's all an April Fool's joke. Sorry guys.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By xMP44x

It's probably real, but I doubt it wil be any good. If you're only streaming the game off their server, which they must maintain, the subscription fees are going to be colossal.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ZeroCast

Come on, after all that presenting on GDC, all the Q&A's, this thing must be real, right? RIGHT??

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Snail

So far in the 1st of April there are no signs indicating this is an April Fools joke.