Do you think people take the forums to seriously?

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Max_Cherry

Poll Do you think people take the forums to seriously? (132 votes)

Yes 34%
No 30%
People take life to seriously. 36%

It's a simple question. I personally believe that any forum thread that makes some people laugh, smirk, grimace, or roll their eyes is a worthy forum thread. A thread is successful when it doesn't leave some people completely indifferent, even if it's just for a fraction of a second. Obviously, I'm not defending "threads" that are hateful or are soliciting. Every time I make a thread or a post I do so because I think it's novel; and every time a thread of mine is locked, I think to myself "Worth it."

• 
Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Max_Cherry

Worth it.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By HH

young people take their own opinions too seriously

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

any forum thread that makes some people laugh, smirk, grimace, or roll their eyes is a worthy forum thread.

Not always. A funny video that makes you laugh or a well thought out argument that makes you grimace is fine. A stupid waste-of-time video that makes you grimace or a poorly thought out argument that makes you roll your eyes is not.

Holy shit a dude with a motorcycle helmet!!

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Max_Cherry

Should there be a separate section for it?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOLY FUCBALLS ITS MORGAN.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, at the end of the day it's all for shits and giggles brah!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I liked this thread. ~ 'Don't give a fuck!!

Kurugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I need to start taking it more seriously than I ever had before.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what the word serious means.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It really depends, some people come to forums to ask serious questions. and get serious answers and are only greeted with memes and trolls. Such as relationship threads, regardless of what you think of them, it is an asshole thing to do to go into a thread where a guy ( or girl ) is giving personal information, and make them feel like shit for doing so. Im not saying giantbomb is the place for those threads, and I try to give help, and at the same time, directing them to another place to ask.

Then, at the opposite side of the fence are threads about changing the front page DmC picture that go on for 6 pages, and devolve into a silly arguments.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I think the thread creator should be able to lock or delete his or her own creation.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

It depends on the person and the topic. Check out any sexism based anything for the wide breadth of seriousness and playful (or asshole-ism based on your personal perspective).

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I think complaining about threads is dumb most of the time. Unless it is spam or advertisements. If you are not interested in the topic or don't feel like it will be entertaining you don't have to click on it, right? Or just leave without posting.

Sometimes it's fun to post dumb shit.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By pr1mus

Some people do and they're usually the ones that sticks out the most.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Laugh and grow fat

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ben_H

Some people do care way too much and they scare me. But there are others who don't care and those are often the entertaining people.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this thread. ~ 'Don't give a fuck!!

Exactly!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yes...its the internet, of course we do

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is seriously and why would someone take the forums there?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people take everything too seriously.

like giantbomb (spearheaded by patrick) crazy crusade against "sexism" in video games. omg a lady in a sexy outfit ITS SEXIST. its laughable.

i want more video game nudity in AAA games. just tons of video game nudity. everywhere. all the damn time. cus why not? right? its video games. its supposed to be fun, sexy can be fun. of course it can. sexy and fun are great, why cant they go together without people crying on twitter?

video games should be sexier!

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just skim over posts, so I don't know how the rest of you act exactly.

I'll just guess and say "yes" because it sounds like the right sort of answer for this question.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it really depends on the thread.

Everyone posting is another person, with feelings and thoughts just like you. If you take that into consideration, you realize that you should take forums as seriously as talking to another person face-to-face. Even more so, actually, since the internet gives you a huge audience.

I wouldn't say you need to "take it seriously" exactly, but speaking respectfully, and not shit-posting is important in my opinion. Basically, act towards others how you would want them to act towards you, even when in an online environment The internet is just another form of communication, not a place to break all the rules of common sense and courtesy.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anyone who gets offended over the internet needs to take a real hard look at themselves.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the mods wind up promoting seriousness over fun. CL60 got banned for posting in a thread that was getting deleted and all he did was say he was rubbing dicks all over himself. Sure it's stupid, but it's the kind of stupid you can laugh at. Then there's hizang who lightened many a mood with his dumb polls.

I think the forums do take themselves too seriously and I think it's pretty sad when you compare threads made today to the hilarious (and retarded) stuff posted during the whiskey days.

But whatever. It's not like voicing your concern is ever going to make a difference.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@oldirtybearon: CL60 will probably come back with an alt, if he hasn't already.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Where is seriously and why would someone take the forums there?

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, and it's 'too' by the way.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

INTERNET IS SERIOUS BIZNEZZ

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DaMisterChief

hell no

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kerned

You know what I take seriously? Grammar. Not too seriously though.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sanity

I feel like we do better here then most of the internet, but i agree with letting more of the dumb fun in, whats the harm as long as its not racist or anything.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's "TOO" seriously! Think before you speak. COME ON MAN!

...so yes.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CL60 got banned for posting in a thread that was getting deleted and all he did was say he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Whaaaaat. That's just comedy! Or was there more to it than that? Hard to believe there wouldn't be.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Max_Cherry

I like to add a good degree of levity to these forums. So do a lot of people, but recently the environment on the GB forums has changed. Levity and jokes seem to be discouraged now, and the entertaining crazy threads that people used to enjoy taking part in has become a thing of yesteryear. I miss the days when the only forum rule was "don't be a mean jerk."

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHT

I'm going to read your name with the Crysis Suit voice henchforth.

<MAXIMUM. CHERRY.>

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@theht said:

@oldirtybearon said:

CL60 got banned for posting in a thread that was getting deleted and all he did was say he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Whaaaaat. That's just comedy! Or was there more to it than that? Hard to believe there wouldn't be.

There wasn't. Some mod (MB, I think) was going to delete a thread and a bunch of users were doing stupid "in b4 lock" stuff. CL60 got banned for saying he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Sadly you can't find the evidence of this thread, or any other, because the mods delete shit like that rather quickly. The only thing you have to go on is them saying "That's what happened guys, honest."

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people take everything too seriously.

like giantbomb (spearheaded by patrick) crazy crusade against "sexism" in video games. omg a lady in a sexy outfit ITS SEXIST. its laughable.

i want more video game nudity in AAA games. just tons of video game nudity. everywhere. all the damn time. cus why not? right? its video games. its supposed to be fun, sexy can be fun. of course it can. sexy and fun are great, why cant they go together without people crying on twitter?

video games should be sexier!

You better fuckin watch it, Patrick is gonna get the grumpy dumpies.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

You know, I might've said yes.

But then I pretty much stopped using the forums with the redesign, and my post count is pretty crazy high, so I dunno.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The results are in. And the winner is, "people take life too seriously." So when you're feeling down just remember that it is better to be happy. I leave you with this, a song from a great man of my parents' generation:

Loading Video...

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is after all a message board for a video game site. One should never ask serious questions or take anything posted here that seriously.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But then I pretty much stopped using the forums with the redesign, and my post count is pretty crazy high, so I dunno.

Oddly enough, I've been posting less, too. Seems like there are less topics that are interesting overall after the redesign. I wonder if a bunch of people jumped ship?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Justin258

@theht said:

@oldirtybearon said:

There wasn't. Some mod (MB, I think) was going to delete a thread and a bunch of users were doing stupid "in b4 lock" stuff. CL60 got banned for saying he was rubbing dicks all over himself.

Sadly you can't find the evidence of this thread, or any other, because the mods delete shit like that rather quickly. The only thing you have to go on is them saying "That's what happened guys, honest."

I could have sworn that he said something rather rude about Patrick and proceeded to jokingly said "rubs penis on face".

Anyway, it depends on the topic at hand and my mood at the time.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By KaosAngel

I fucking hope not.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mtcantor

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN ASK THIS QUESTION

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon said:

@theht said:

@oldirtybearon said:

I could have sworn that he said something rather rude about Patrick and proceeded to jokingly said "rubs penis on face".

Anyway, it depends on the topic at hand and my mood at the time.

I don't know why but as I read your guy's posts, I kept laughing every time dick rubbing was mentioned. There's something hilarious about that and I don't know why it cracks me up.

On a more sad note; seems like everyone who's name I recognize is getting banned these days.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By Little_Socrates

@little_socrates said:

Oddly enough, I've been posting less, too. Seems like there are less topics that are interesting overall after the redesign. I wonder if a bunch of people jumped ship?

It's not even that; it's that the forum threads don't appear at the bottom of the home page, and now I navigate to video content rather than the forums. They've largely been pushed to the wayside in the current design. While that's not reducing my time spent on GB, it is actually reducing my time spent here in the forums where I click from page to page much faster than I do when I'm watching a Quick Look.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@ravenlight said:

@little_socrates said:

It's not even that; it's that the forum threads don't appear at the bottom of the home page, and now I navigate to video content rather than the forums.

It's not even that. The site in general is harder to use. Blogs/user reviews are harder to find, and image galleries are fucked.