Do you think we'll see a rise of a new "Virtual Boy" from Nintendo in the coming years?

DUKE_PooPEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With Nintendo creating Labo for the switch and VR content creation becoming more streamlined over time, it seems a natural progression from Nintendo's current AR focus. Perhaps a Switch Pro in the next few years, with attachable lens apparatus?

Perhaps a redemption of the Virtual Boy name? This time with green and blue to go with the red...?

What do you guys think?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By xanadu

It's not impossible. Only thing is that Nintendo tends to make products that stand out aside from their competition. I can't see them putting out a headset that competes with the games on psvr, rift, or the vive. For better or worse, they would put out something completely different then what we have now.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they may do some vr but they will let that name rot in the bowels of history.

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Virtual Boy came out, it was the most Nintendo move imaginable. Now VR is much more mainstream (though the true success of VR seems up for debate) and you have Nintendo releasing Labo, which is like the most Nintendo move imaginable. The most "natural progression" for them seems to be to do things that make you go "omg" with a side of "wtf," so I don't really see them investing a lot into VR. Their strategy of being an island unto themselves has had more hits than misses lately.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'd also be astounded if they called it Virtual Boy in 2018+.

I wonder what Nintendo properties would translate like in VR, other than the obvious Metroid Prime.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the 3-D in the 3DS is the closest Nintendo has wanted to get to the Virtual Boy. Even then, Nintendo eventually phased out the 3-D utilization on that device. The company could create a Nintendo-like solution to VR, but they would probably want it to be distinct from the current industry leaders.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

I just want them to rerelease the VB Wario game. That game is actually pretty good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Nintendo like to 'Zagg' when other companies 'Zigg'. With Sony going after VR and Microsoft going after AR; I think it is very likely that Nintendo's move as already occured with all the cardboard stuff. Yup....that is it....that what they have done.

The very likely outcome for ALL the companies is 3D screens (glasses or headsets) will replace many screens in the future. Nobody is going to corner that VR/AR market really. The underlying tech of how you show the images is patentable like teh difference between Trinitron (aperture grille-based CRTs) as oppsed to most televisions (shadow masks)- it all just worked and showed the same content. WHat that means is a whole bunch of devices that ALL do teh same thing will be out there all playing teh same content for teh most part. Thus, AR/VR will just be tech that everyone uses that will all be based on a set specification. This Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft will all have VR/AR games in all likelihood.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WillyOD

Nope.

Nintendo is just getting to know the Internet. But I'm pretty sure they think this Internet thing will not be popular.

They still can't make an emulator for their own hardware.

I have very, very mixed feelings about Nintendo. The company is like 80% stupid 20% genius, and sometimes I wonder how they're even still around.