• 76 results
Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you want another WWII shooter? (157 votes)

I'd love it 66%
I'd hate it 4%
I'm set with the what we have 8%
I don't care 17%
I have no opinions because I'm boring but show me the results 6%

I think it'd be cool to see a WWII shooter in the style of the first couple of Call of Duty's on next gen hardware. I know they flooded the market but it has been long enough I'd be cool with one big WWII series being around.

• 
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

Fuck it at this point I'd play an HD version of Brothers in Arms (of all the games not to be backwards compatible....)

For real tho, there's really only to things I want, nay demand, to be made on next gen: A new WW2 game (wolfenstein doesn't count) and a new Mass Effect game.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GIVE ME A NEXT GEN WW2 ONLINE OH PLEASE.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By YOU_DIED

If it has good gameplay, sure

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather stick with what we have even though I don't play much military shooters nowadays, maybe even a shooter based in the Vietnam war.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, if it trys some new things, people got tired of them because they were all copying MOH Allied Assault and Call of Duty 2 without really trying much else. Id love to see another game set in the Pacific though, or for that mater someone do a Korean War game, has there ever been one of those yet?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah...yeah sure. I actually would like to see that. As long as it doesn't open the floodgates again.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigjeffrey

Nah

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No .... that type of game was already mastered on the last gen sonoles (Medal of Honor Allied Assault or frontlines ... dont remember which) The only WW2 FPS game that I would like would be one made more akin to Stalker games or Fallout 3/ New Vegas.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sooty

How about a Vietnam game where the Americans are portrayed as the invading force.

Yeah like that will ever happen outside of obscure titles. Better go back to stereotyping Russia, games industry.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10 Justin258  Online

No, I don't. There's a myriad of them made between Saving Private Ryan and Call of Duty 4. Pick one of those.

The setting is played-out. Oh, I'm certain there are still interesting stories that can be told in World War 2, and maybe some good gameplay concepts could be put into it, but the setting itself has already been used over and over and over again in movies, books, TV shows, and video games since a few years after WW2 ended. There's more World War 2 content than you could possibly consume. It's kind of boring at this point.

There's also the Gulf War, the Vietnam War, the Korean War, and the War in Iraq. If someone were to make a military shooter that took place in an actual encounter (by Americans, of course, because we're the only ones that seem to make these fucking things), then there are plenty of places and time periods to choose from.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By avantegardener

God, has time moved on so much we're nostalgic for WW2 shooters again, lest we remember the market was flooded with them less than 10 years ago. It's like when people were harkening for the return of the point and click and adventure, now we are inundated with them. I suppose all things are cyclical, just be careful what you wish for.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No .... that type of game was already mastered on the last gen sonoles (Medal of Honor Allied Assault or frontlines ... dont remember which) The only WW2 FPS game that I would like would be one made more akin to Stalker games or Fallout 3/ New Vegas.

Was thinking the same thing. Something like an open-world RPG-shooter could work in the setting. Probably not as free as Fallout 3, but focusing less on the spectacle and more on the overall war experience could be interesting.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i want apocalypse now:the game where you play as kurtz

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, one where you play as Captain Bucky O'Hare.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there already is a game for every soldier who fought in WWII.

I hated that fad, and I sure as hell don't want it back.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would love it. I like the style, the guns, the setting. A while back someone talked about doing a game from the German perspective with a proper story. That'd be awesome I think, controversial, but if it's well done it would be amazing.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer a WW2 shooter over a modern military shooter. The desert is boring, I want some variety.

I would still love to see a Call of Duty 2 style shooter as told from the German's perspective. Assuming they keep it tasteful, there's some really compelling storytelling they could do with this scenario.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes please. I always loved them and got tired of the modern shooter pretty quickly. That's all there is now and that's pretty much all there has been since 2007. I would like some games to go back to World War 2. Or better yet, something I've wanted since just after CoD4's release, a Vietnam game damn it!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#20  Edited By isomeri

Call of Duty might regain my interest if they went back to their roots. On the other hand the modern CoD formula wouldn't really work for the kind of WW2 game I enjoy. A new Brothers in Arms could be nice.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By GunstarRed

I'd love one, but more of an action-adventurey kind of game instead of the usual old storm the beach kind of thing.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twisted said:

Yes please. I always loved them and got tired of the modern shooter pretty quickly. That's all there is now and that's pretty much all there has been since 2007. I would like some games to go back to World War 2. Or better yet, something I've wanted since just after CoD4's release, a Vietnam game damn it!

There were a million Vietnam games on the Original XBox and PS2. They were all terrible, even Battlefield: Vietnam was the worst in the series.

Now, if they did something like Spec Ops: The Line set in Vietnam... that might be cool. Apocalypse Now: The Vidya Gaem!

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Nictel

Yes but not a traditional shooter. Give me something new and fresh. Not the one man turns the tide of the entire war scenario.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@5figh said:

i want apocalypse now:the game where you play as kurtz

Press X to sit in shadows, press O to ramble. GOTY

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Well, there is going to be another Brothers in Arms eventually, so at least one WWII shooter is on the way. I wouldn't mind another one. Though I really, really love alternate WWII fiction with sci-fi elements, like Wolfenstein (but not the new Wolfenstein, sadly). There needs to be more of that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By penguindust

Sure, as long as it's not another "storming the beach at Normandy" or "fighting through Stalingrad games". I'd like to see something a little more lighthearted like Kelly's Heroes. Yes, that movie inspired Batttlefield Bad Company, but you get my meaning. Operation Petticoat, 1941, How I Won the War, Catch-22, Biloxi Blues, Daddy What Did YOU Do During the War, etc... are all fine examples of WWII comedies. I don't know why every WWII game needs to play like Saving Private Ryan. Armed and Dangerous was an imperfect game, but it had the right idea. Action can be quite funny.

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind one, but Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm exists so I think I could live without a new one.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as relatively traditional shooters go I think every game that has a setting including a prominent place for semi-automatic and bolt-action rifles (other than long range sniper rifles) is bound to be a little more interesting gameplay-wise than the current modern warfare trend that leads to a myriad of automatic firearms with miniscule diferences. I've been thinking about a nice WW2 version of something like BF Bad Company 2 ever since that game's uninspired semi-automatic weapon design bored me a little bit.

The jackpot would be, of course, a triumphant game that used a war setting and didn't make you a soldier - regardless of the era. Especially not the sociopathic, untouchable, one-man-army kind. But to answer the question, I never really got bored of portraying WW2 in games. I got bored of the relentlessly scripted pseudo-movie style of MoH: Allied Assault and the first Call of Duty (as much as I enjoyed those two games when they came out). I'm not sure a return to WW2 is going to revitalize the CoD-formula for me. But I'm certainly ready for another version of a WW2 game, even if it's going to be a shooter.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

An armoured combat game set in WW2 would be pretty great, not many games have focused on that aspect of land warfare. It's a lot different from infantry combat, which has been thoroughly explored at this point, but still works really well with the setting and battles.

So yeah, I'd like to see more WW2 shooters.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Seppli

I'd love a full Battlefield game set in a pre-Modern Warfare era. Anything between WWII and Vietnam is fine by me. Vietnam is in fact my favorite setting. The sound of the era makes the difference. War tech being just on the cusp of being modern, but still low tech enough to be suited for fun gameplay mechanics, it's really quite perfect when it comes to realistic wargame settings.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't think i care about shooters in general anymore. I just find this specific kind of gameplay very unsatisfying nowadays. Played too many for too many years.

Zoeytrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The allies won, enough already.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

P.S. Is War Thunder any good? Its mention at today's Sony conference is the first I've heard of it, yet it's out there in the wilds of PC F2P gaming.

Loading Video...

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always in for a WWII shooter more than any other type of shooter.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@seppli said:

P.S. Is War Thunder any good? Its mention at today's Sony conference is the first I've heard of it, yet it's out there in the wilds of PC F2P gaming.

Loading Video...

Yes, it's good. Give it a go, it's on Steam. It's kinda like World of Tanks but with airplanes (and before you ask, yeah, it's considerably better than World of Warplanes)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Another? I'm not even sure if I've played the one.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By AlexW00d

I wouldn't mind one, but Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm exists so I think I could live without a new one.

Pretty much this.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a long time since I've seen a good looking WWII FPS game. I've been digging the modernish/sci fi military games that have been out so far. But I would definitely play a WWII game again, but it would be great to do some kind of crazy story to it. Something that may not exactly follow history. Maybe a WWII where Japan bombs U.S. after Pearl Harbor and we get more Nations involved in the war to help us. Something crazy like that would be fun I think.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Clonedzero

Sure.

Why not? The whole "UGH i hate WW2 games!" is so like 6 years ago.

I mean i never minded them, i like the period, its got interesting guns, and its a damn interesting time period.

Hell i dont even mind modern day shooters, sure its a bit overflooded at the moment with those, but I'm still heavily looking forward to BF4. I'd prefer if it was a futuristic battlefield game (BF2143 anyone?! COME ON!)

My only issue with period based shooters, or modern day realistic ones, is you can't go too crazy with gadgets or weapons. You set a game in WW2 and I'm already fully aware of the weapons that are going to end up in the game. No fun gadgets like active-camo, or little helper drones, or auto-turrets, stuff like that.

Futuristic shooters are the way to go IMO. It's just more freedom for the developers to make stuff up and be creative. They can add in "Brutes" easier (you know big tough enemies). Throw in some mechs, or robots, or aliens whatever!. Space magic? WHY NOT! If you look at the two big shooters coming out soonish. Destiny and Titanfall. Both are futuristic styled shooters. I honestly think BF4 and CoD:Ghosts are the last big modernish shooters.

But yes, if there was a good WW2 shooter, i'd absolutely play it.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow I guess we've come full circle huh?

magicwalnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By magicwalnuts

Fuck no, because the AAA modern shooters getting shit out annually have a direct lineage to the WWII shooters that were getting shit out annually ~8 years ago. We'd be just getting a re-skin of modern warfare games already coming out, with different guns and balancing. I'd be interested if the games were more in line with RO2 and Rising Storm, but AAA devs don't roll that way.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If it was going to be in the style of the last Brothers in Arms game, sure. I mean, what I'd really want out of would probably be a main focus on a battle or section of the war that's not really been done before and for the game to have a big focus on its characters and story. As far as just an updated Call of Duty: World at War goes, that wouldn't be enough to bring me back in. That has less to do with the setting and more to do with a lack of personal interest in multiplayer-focused FPS games though.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

The time has come for us to get another WWII game.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By maverick1

Personally my life time quota of ww2 shooters has ben filled. Having said that they should make another ww2 shooter for the new consoles. If only the give the new generation of gamers the chance to experience them.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#46 fisk0  Moderator

I'm not sure. I guess I'd prefer it over yet another modern warfare thing, but I feel like WWII has been explored enough too (at least the major battles, maybe some kind of interesting story could be made about some of the lesser known events there still). There have been plenty of other wars, if you want to do war game stuff. I still think the first world war really haven't been covered a lot, and apart from M.A.S.H. and that SAM site simulator Drew played on UPF a few months ago the Korea war hasn't been explored much either, neither has, to my knowledge, the 1960's Congo conflict.

I also think I'd like to see some more "what could've happened scenarios", like what Eugen Systems are doing in the Wargame: European Escalation/Airland Battle stuff.

I think some of the lesser known conflicts could be interesting to see something made about them too. I remember that AV8B Harrier Assault was set in a (fictionalized) escalated conflict about the Indonesian occupation of East Timor, and Thunder Works are currently doing the flight sim Jet Thunder, set during the Falklands War. It's probably a bit too early to go into the Bosnian War, though Medal of Honor: Warfighter had some stuff about it.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW2 had the Nazi party, proper bad guys! The setting was also far more interesting. I do not like playing as an American shooting brown people. Bring back WW2 Dice

PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in favour of anything that help people know more about history. These games might not be focused on the history of the source material however they do have snippets of historical information and therefore might spark players' interest in what really happened during this insane time.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Missacre

Instead of World War 2, I would like a game set in World War 1. I haven't seen too many of those at all. Especially if they did it right and captured the horror of it, like having to face machine guns for the first time, or trench warfare, maybe dogfighting. There were a lot of firsts in that war. Even though I wouldn't mind another proper WW2 game, I would much prefer if a WW1 game was made instead.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

How about a Vietnam game where the Americans are portrayed as the invading force.

Yeah like that will ever happen outside of obscure titles. Better go back to stereotyping Russia, games industry.

Honestly, the first Black Ops is the closest you may ever get to that, in the realm of shooters. Between the first and second game, they paint a pretty dire picture of American war involvement post-WWII.