Do you want to see table top content on GB?

• 55 results
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Do you want to see table top content on GB? (268 votes)

Yes of all verities. 37%
No, I only want to see content and hear opinions on video games. 24%
Sure,board and card games only. 7%
Sure, I'm really into minis and just want to see that. 1%
Well, lets start with D&D and see where this goes. 32%

This topic was brought up on the last Unprofessional Fridays that I've missed. This made me wonder on the kind of content Giant Bomb can do outside of video games. Videos when not a lot of games are coming out and there is space to be filled on the site.
I wouldn't mind seeing Vinny start a 40k army or Matt be a DM to a long and awesome D&D campaign. Hell they are already neck deep into cards against humanity, this is only the next logical step.

We're all nerds here and this should only get more awesome. What do you guys think?

• 
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Monopoly would be perfect.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monopoly would be perfect.

Bahahahaha yeah, it would.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Apples to Apples.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would love to see it, Beer and Board Games is one of my favourite series on youtube, and the GB guys could do something just as awesome.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Everyone is John, perhaps?

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

I wouldn't mind them playing some kind of Pen and Paper RPG, doesn't necessarily need to be D&D. I just feel it would only work if you could get a large portion of the group involved. I just hope it doesn't become like Penny Arcade where it feels like half their content is largely tabletop/card games, no offense to any of you fine gents, but I'm not 8-14 anymore fuck TCG's.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Disaya

This isn't something I had thought about but that would be pretty cool to see. I would love to see them play D&D.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think It'd be pretty funny watching them play D&D 4th edition since it's pretty much a video game mechanically anyways. I feel like going any earlier or doing Pathfinder would be funny... but only because the mechanics are a bit more obtuse. Not sure what I'd think about other board games though. That time when they played Ticket to Ride for TNT wasn't so entertaining.

brodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need more cards against humanity!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I already get a lot of DnD action from Harmontown, but something similar from Giant Bomb would be rad.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone is John, perhaps?

I just googled that and that sounds totally awesome.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gogosox82

I never grew up playing tabletop rpgs so I don't really have a preference but I know a little about D & D so that might be interesting to learn more about it.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By davidwitten22

I don't know how to answer the poll. I certainly wouldn't mind tabletop coverage, but I'm not actively seeking it. Whether they added it or didn't add it I don't think I would be affected either way. If it existed I would watch it, but if it never does I wouldn't mind.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Sure, as long as they don't become the focus, I'd love to see them dabble in some of the stuff out there.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

More CAH please.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

As long as it's something they actually seem interested in.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By rpgee

So there was Ticket to Ride back in the old Whiskey days, which I found to be ultimately pretty dull...

...but then there was Cards Against Humanity, which was amazing every time, and that Fortune Street TNT was basically a board game TNT, and that was fantastic...

I'm going with "let's wait and see". If the personality is there, and it's legitimately interesting, then it could be great. In terms of wanting to see tabletop coverage, not particularly, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

And I'm already putting in my prediction that Brad will unfortunately die in the first battle from poor luck, because that would be hilariously appropriate.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Niceanims

Yes, in moderation

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Axis and Aliies 1940 Europe AND Pacific....hours and hours of Axis and Allies content

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Xeiphyer

Possibly a little bit. None of the GB guys are really huge board and tabletop gamers afaik, so watching a bunch of guys learning and/or playing a game incorrectly would probably be frustrating. God knows people flip out when that happens with videogames.

It could be fun to see them bring in whatever games they do have knowledge of though. Assuming its not crazy boring to watch.

TL;DR: It depends.

EDIT: Cards Against Humanity, more of that please.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By audiosnow

The only way I'd want to see that is if Dave Snider spearheaded it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's not get crazy, but sure, test the waters a bit. A D&D game with the crew just sounds hilarious to me.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess no one is explicitly into minis.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Only if it will feature Dave.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I have no interest in most of the (potential) content of this sort, but I wouldn't be against it.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if it will feature Dave.

Awesome, now I miss Dave even more. :(

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fake Table Top, like Fortune Street and Mario Party is the ideal.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because I'd rather see them look at older video games if nothing is coming out. I don't really see the appeal in watching board games, but then again I don't see the appeal in playing them either.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phrosnite

So it would be the next dota and dark souls "content"? It won't work. Most people wouldn't care. For table top I watch people on youtube.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think It'd be pretty funny watching them play D&D 4th edition since it's pretty much a video game mechanically anyways.

Nah, they should bring Chris Perkins in for a D&D Next playdate. Vinny, Ryan, Rorie and Drew would make a pretty entertaining adventuring party.

hyrgulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess no one is explicitly into minis.

Well, mini's are somewhat of a niche aspect, of a niche market. And the way the question is phrased, for a site about video games, if it was expanded to other genre's of games, would be pretty wierd to expand it only for mini's (which in and of themselves are not a game).

However, I personally think a Giantbomb/Comic Vine style site for miniatures, and their games would be absolutelty awesome. And have actually wished for that in the past.

The ability to set up a wiki around various franchises, manufacturers, scultpors, tools used (think types of paint brushes, paints, basing materials, files, lights, magnification devices) and individual minitatures. Then being able to tag them similar to the way we can tag concepts, so for example, I want to find fire giants, with right hand shield and left hand sword would be great.

People could have their own account, listing what mini's they own (either private or publicly shared), they could upload their painted version of the mini, and link it to the main mini, so anyone that searches for a specific mini, can then see different painted examples.

People could do work in progress posts showing how they paint a specific mini, ask for feedback, etc...

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Winternet

Tabletop games? What is this, the 80s? And, on top of that, serious tabletop games? You guys are out of your goddam minds.

JNeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JNeam

Tabletop games? What is this, the 80s? And, on top of that, serious tabletop games? You guys are out of your goddam minds.

Lol, are you serious right now?

Something about playing DnD, Warhammer, or Magic the Gathering with other people, holding tangible objects and using your imagination is something that video games can't take away for me.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thatdutchguy

Maybe

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hell yes!

Just think of all the amazing "I'm a wizard" jokes they will be able to make.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No "don't care" option? I feel like that'd be the winner if it existed. It has more to do with if the content is good than if it's tabletop or not.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm totally not into table top gaming so I would be fascinated by it. Kind of how Brad drew me into DOTA2 with his dailies.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God no. Well... Why tie yourself down to physical things when so much more is possible with digital media.

That being said. I would not mind like a mini-series or a one-off event, just to examine the game aspects and mechanics of this.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I dunno, if you ask me if I want to see _______ content on Giant Bomb, chances are anything you throw in that blank I'm going to say "YES", no matter how terrible it may be.

So yeah, totally.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please start a D&D Campaign.

Please don't let Ryan be a part of it.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nope, I have no interest in table top games and every time they are brought up on other podcasts/websites, it bores the shit out of me. The cards against humanity stuff that they were doing a little while ago wasn't that great and I can't imagine that other non-video game stuff would be much better.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By supamon

@joshwent said:

Please start a D&D Campaign.

Please don't let Ryan be a part of it.

Please get Will Smith and Dave Snider for it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Eh, feel like none of the poll options really represent me. My response would be "Sure, whatever. Try it out and see where it goes."

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd pay to watch them do anything. Anything!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#45  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think that going full-on tabletop necessarily is the next logical step from them occasionally playing Cards Against Humanity. I think CAH is more entertaining to the average site user than a game of something like Warhammer 40K, just because of the style and nature of those games, and starting up something like a D&D campaign would be a much bigger commitment than them occasionally playing some CAH. I think there are some really entertaining things they could do with a lot of tabletop games that would be cool to see, but I think some of them would play better than others on camera.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a Whiskey Media style site centred on tabletop games. I don't want the guys from Giant Bomb to play tabletop of role playing games because I have a feeling like anyone who actually appreciates RPGs will be immediately disheartened by how the staff would go about playing them.

I can already predict one staff member being completely confused any time they're asked to make a skill check, immediately forgetting where they slotted their points or what bonuses they have. Another will interrupt actual DM hints and suggestions to talk about how intrinsic the core mechanics are to dispelling the ludonarrative dissonance and that they took the feat Improved Power Attack because it ostensibly confers a risk-reward mechanic. Another would find some annoying rules vagary or exploit and obsess over how it's existence unbalances the game. Another would fall asleep.

Inevitably the game ends with Drew carrying their corpses out of a dungeon after a skirmish with kobolds.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

They would have to have three things: people who play who are willing to talk about it each week, something to add that isn't being done already by 50 other sites, and a plan for why devote time/energy/space to THIS content over using resources elsewhere.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'll watch just about anything off of GB.

Skumberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Skumberg

80% of the poll choices are "yes". Cool poll bro.

Personally, I want more content like the Giant Bombcast, TNT and UPF so I really hope they don't even consider bringing board games into the mix. We need more video game content, not neckbeard basement dweller crap.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EchoEcho

@arbitrarywater said:

I think It'd be pretty funny watching them play D&D 4th edition since it's pretty much a video game mechanically anyways. I feel like going any earlier or doing Pathfinder would be funny... but only because the mechanics are a bit more obtuse. Not sure what I'd think about other board games though. That time when they played Ticket to Ride for TNT wasn't so entertaining.

Definitely agreed. Wonder who would do the DMing? They'd need someone good to keep them on track, I think. I've... probably said this at least a dozen times over the last couple years, but if they could get Chris Perkins (of Wizards of the Coast and the Penny Arcade D&D sessions fame) to DM for them, that would be magical, dude's really good at what he does. That's kind of a pipe dream, though, and really unlikely -- I'm guessing someone in-house would step up to plate.

@oddish said:

80% of the poll choices are "yes". Cool poll bro.

Personally, I want more content like the Giant Bombcast, TNT and UPF so I really hope they don't even consider bringing board games into the mix. We need more video game content, not neckbeard basement dweller crap.

Hey, duder -- perfectly reasonable stance on the matter. That last sentence, though? Completely fucking unnecessary.