Does anyone else play games alone?

• 99 results
On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Its better for me to play single player games, don't have to worry bout matching everyone's schedules up or anything.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I play alone mostly, I am a sucker for a strong single-player game (an RPG for instance), I sometimes do play Battlefield but never with people I know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to play alot of single player games but when I do play multiplayer, it tends to be with randoms.

All of my friends tend to fall into one of the following brackets

1) Only plays Fifa, COD or GTA.

2) Plays RPGs and other SP games and has little interest in MP or

3) Has no interest in games whatsoever and considers it wasteful (but will watch a series of a show in 2 days)

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, mostly. Steam is usually set to offline cos' I have too many people wanting to talk. That's nice in a way but when I'm playing a game I like to get involved and having the chat constantly bleeping bugs me.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

Yes. Most games I play are played alone.

Traegan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I play alone because a lot of the time I only have an hour or two to play and I don't want to spend 20 minutes of it waiting for someone. Plus, have to pause a lot to deal with young kids not staying in bed.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

duder what? Get this post outta my sight. Who plays games with other people?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#58 fisk0  Moderator

Yeah, that's what I do. Both when it comes to single player, multi player or even MMO style games. I know very few people that are interested in games at all, and those who are generally don't share my taste in games. We can talk about new releases and maybe play some modern military shooters together, but that's about it.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy controller passing on single player games with friends. My friends and I love marathon-ing through stuff. We took turns blasting through metal gear solid and beat it in one night. This weekend we will hopefully do the same with MGS2. Sometimes I'll have like 5 or 6 people over and we'll have multiple TV's set up, and sometimes we'll play the same game splitscreen or system linked, and other times we'll all work through different games.

JayPee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally I play games alone. I like my own company... perhaps too much!

I have created a group on Steam called "GB Loner". Maybe a few of us, who previously had so few people to enjoy our passion for gaming with, could assemble there? I'd like that.

Recent GB-related matters have really given me a sense of perspective and an impetus to reach out to others. It would be great if anyone wanted to join.

JP

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Tennmuerti

A lot of people do?

This seems like a silly question.

Bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By Bakumatsu

In my 20 years of gaming I think I can count with my fingers the number of times I played with other people. Always played alone and still prefer that way.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

All the time.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Party 2 with my sisters, but other than that I almost never play MP games.

Avatar image for guided_by_tigers
Guided_By_Tigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play alone about 80% of the time.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know entirely what "alone" means as per your comment. I play single player games alone and I play multiplayer games with other people (but not people I know, generally). I would rather play everything from COD and BF3 to Civilization V and Monaco with people that I know, but the only person I know who also plays games is my little brother and we generally don't have the same schedules nor are we generally interested in playing the same things at the same time.

I'd love to play MMOs and a lot of other things with friends, but almost all of my friends are also work colleagues and none of them really play games, much. Most are in their 40s or 50s (a few years to a couple decades older than me) and the only two that I know play any games are one who plays League of Legends and nothing else and another who plays Guild Wars 2 with his son on occasion and that's it.

I kind of envy kids, today. It would be awesome to have a lot of friends who are avid gamers and make a point of engaging in the activity. Unfortunately, even the people I used to play a lot with (back in the late 90s, when we would turn the office into a StarCraft tournament across the LAN at the office over the weekends, during work and play Quake on the LAN we setup in the lounge during breaks and lunch and after work) no longer really play anything.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I enjoy my games the same way I enjoy my alcohol. Alone, in a dark room.

OK, I'm lying. My friends and I drink socially. But none of my real-life friends are into video games. It sucks some of the fun out of MMO's.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah? Well, I enjoy my games the same way I enjoy sex. Alone, in a dark room.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, no friends to play with anymore. Single player games, offline bot matches and the like for me.

I just can't keep up with people in multiplayer games anymore. Everybody is either way better than I will ever be or my internet connection lags me the hell out and I get dropped.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always play alone.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Branthog

Yeah, no friends to play with anymore. Single player games, offline bot matches and the like for me.

I just can't keep up with people in multiplayer games anymore. Everybody is either way better than I will ever be or my internet connection lags me the hell out and I get dropped.

I think that primarily has to do with exposure to a game. It seems most of us spread ourselves so thin across so many games, these days. I still, sadly, make COD my sort of go-to couch-surfing multiplayer game when I just need a quick fix of running around shooting shit. When I go without playing for a long time, I totally suck. When I have played for quite a bit, regularly, I suddenly go from being in the bottom half of the scoreboard to the top half and often the top on my team.

Of course, I dread the impact of age. I'm thirty-sex and I spend more time than is probably healthy worrying about how getting even older is going to disrupt my ability to be competitive in most types of games (especially since most games and environments, like Steam and XBL don't really seem to have any option where you can say "just put me with dudes in my age range" during match-making). The only thing more depressing than getting your ass royally handed to you by a game full of twelve year old kids is when they trash-talk you and your mother while doing it.

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to Duo with one other person, my only real friend heh. We tend to play anything co-op together, and some single player stuff on the side. I play a lot of multi player games just to mess about on as well, but open world sandboxes I almost always play with mah buddy.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I prefer to do things alone. Well, company's nice, but there are too many caveats to it sometimes.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I usually play alone as I don't really get into multiplayer games that often other than my stint on playing DOTA and League for about 5 years or so.

Demon/Dark Souls are the only other games I play with strangers because duh...

Most of the responses I've seen so far are also in line with my views. Maybe that's why there's this stigma that people who play video games are secluded or something.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 38

I very rarely ever play with other people.

I tend to get super excited when I do, because it's always been a rare opportunity for me. Most of my friends don't dig games. I do have a semi-weekly DOTA 2 game with some old buddies that we've had going on and off for 9-ish years and that's about it.

@rorie said:

I'm almost exclusively set to offline on Steam. When I'm actually logged in I get too many people messaging me. It's distracting.

yeah I wondered about that with you guys. The downside to being such a public person I guess. Maybe you'd want to anyway, but I bet it would probably be nice to have the option to without being harassed by well-meaning hoards of fans :(

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer single player experiences as I kind of suck at multiplayer games and really don't have time to coordinate a game with friends.

Jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play CS and UT2004 with mates, thats about it.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play mostly on my own. I just recently started getting back into playing Battlefield 3 with my cousin and his friend and it's been 10x more fun then just playing on a silent squad. There was also the rare few times I teamed up with a co-worker in Borderlands.

Brushie_Tundra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Brushie_Tundra

Up until now I have mostly played single player games. If I played multi it was with randoms. That changed after I saw the response to Ryan's death. I was never really involved in the GB community. After seeing all the good people pour out there hearts, I think I might expand my involvement. Perhaps I can grow my friends list to more than three and roll into some multiplayer games with some like minded duders.

Yet another thing Ryan has done for me.

Thanks Ryan

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#81 TobbRobb  Online

I can't play most games that I'm invested in "outside of Multiplayer obviously" unless I'm alone. I take so much out of atmosphere and music, that playing with friends just plain doesn't pan out.

That said, I don't actually do that a lot. The vast majority of games I play are either multiplayer or just mindnumbing enough that I play them while chatting away.

I feel a change in the winds though, might be time to delve into my hermit cave and get some Jrpg action going.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't enjoy playing games with other people, but I do enjoy watching people play games they love. The same goes for my sister. So we fairly frequently play games with the other in the room. But I almost never play multiplayer games and I still spend the vast majority of my time gaming alone.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a while since I've played with other people.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SaFt  Online

The small group of people i usually play with exclusively plays on PC. Sucks having no one to play all those great PS3 exclusives with.

I do still prefer playing old fashioned single player games though, it's a good break from all the Online first person shooters.

zombiequeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By zombiequeen

I don't like playing video games with other people, I much prefer to play them on my own. I find certain things better done alone, like pooping (yes I know some folk like an audience, not me though haha!), gaming (especially the split screen, so annoying I end up wondering why my character isn't doing what I want then realise I'm looking at the wrong screen) and cooking (can't abide having people under my feet making (un) '' helpful'' ''suggestions'' I like COD but I don't want to put up with listening to other people rabbit on, plus I tend to shoot anything that moves which isn't good in a co-op I realise

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 14

I hardly ever play with other people.

zombiepenguin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The vast majority of my gaming time is spent with single player games. I really like being able to play what I want, when I want, without having all of the scheduled, gaming-as-a-lifestyle things that I detest. I guess not all multiplayer stuff is like that, but it's definitely been something I've avoided to a large degree.

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By someoneproud

Aside from FFXIV, MHW and occasionally GTAO I play everything alone, I'll play them solo too but I prefer them with friends. I don't play competitive multiplayer at all these days and I don't miss it at all.

MHW is great even with randos so I'm happy playing that with whoever really, FFXIV is mostlyfine with the occasional dickhead and GTAO is almost exclusively populated by scumbags so fuck that without a set group to play with.

The games I really like are single player so most of my time is spent on them really.

EDIT: Haha, just noticed how old this thread is :)

Heidegger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering if there was other people who generally played games alone as that's what I do most of the time. I only ever had a few friends on my list of contacts but I have had to play games alone or with strangers that you are matched with online for the majority of time.

So are there any of you that play alone and how do you feel about it?

For me the experience of playing alone is fine if its an offline game like Zelda or something like that but I seem to lack interest in competing against strangers in COD or Battlefield if I have no one to share it with or speak to about what I have done and what I am doing.

I am less likely to try things in games like harder settings or challenges as I won't have anyone to tell about it. Sad.

I

I play mostly alone or together with my lady. No interest in friends lists, trophies/achievements, online-MMOs or any of the social aspects.

I see games as part of our culture like books, films and music so deffo suited to appreciating alone a lot of the time. A lot of the time I don't need to tell the world about my experiences either, tho' sometimes I enjoy written forums like this one to enthuse with like-minded folk.

Sergiy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Single player games - mostly alone, though I do enjoy sharing the experience with someone, we occasionally play through games with my brother, i had a gf with whom we'd play through point and clicks together, and my friends and I will occasionally stream a game to each other via the Steam client and hang out in a voice chat, it can be a lot of fun.

Online multiplayer - I play a lot of LoL, and mostly on my own, I just approach it philosophically and try to work with what I got any given game, put on a podcast or netflix on the second screen and just roll like that.

Occasionally i'll play with friends but I kinda prefer the solo experience here. The Fields of Justice can be rough, so you don't bring anyone you really care about xD

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of my friend list is from when I had a two month binge of playing Friday the 13th. Then I burned out and stopped playing and so I have nothing to say to these people now that they're playing other games so I have no reason to contact them.

I have one real life friend on my friends list, but we like different games, so it's all solo for me.

spencergood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like playing alone when everything is in your hands and you control the process alone. I am a nomad gamer.

AshishKoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By AshishKoura

Mostly I'm playing games with my friends and brother but sometimes I play alone.

DrFat32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By DrFat32

I have been playing console and PC games for over 40 years (yes that long) and I have always played alone or with randoms on the internet. Nothing wrong with that. I have no one on my friends list apart from my 2 kids who I play with on the Playstation (we have 3), so its more a LAN party, we just shout through the house most times. They always seem to gang up on me, strange.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@supersolidsnake2019: These days I play mostly alone. From 2001 to 2015 I played with friends online, but as we aged...got married...had kids (in no particular order) we just could not find teh time to get together. So, I play online games with randos and single-player game with myself. I have no real need to 'stream' or 'share' my experiences more directly, which woudl be another option.

With that said I do I play pen & paper D&D with a group, there is nothing wrong with a group. But that same barriers applies of finding a mutually conducive time to play twice a month.

Vegeta187x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The majority of games I play are single player which suits me just fine. I still play MP games with a core group of friends, but I prefer the single player experience.

JRayder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly, though I tend towards multiplayer games. So while I often play in my boxers on the couch by myself, it's within multiplayer games.

PopeShabooda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By PopeShabooda

I pretty much only play games alone. I've never really been interested in connecting to a bunch of strangers while playing. At most I'll play a local co-op with friends or my kids.

My favorite franchise is/was Fallout and I bought Fallout 76 against my better judgement, thinking I could at least play with my son. Other players really ruined the experience for me. I haven't tried it since launch, but I was just bombarded with people screaming and swearing and just overall breaking the immersion for me. One guy was walking around loudly having a phone conversation without having turned off his mic. He went on and on about his upcoming vacation plans, how it will be his first time in Las Vegas and how excited he was. When asked to turn his mic off if he's on the phone he shouted "Welcome Fallout76, fucking deal with it." Annnd that was the last time I played 76 or any MMO type game.

I also tend to skew towards story heavy games which generally aren't multiplayer.

Tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I don't have friends and I also don't like playing with randos, so I just tend to not play many multiplayer games, other than league.

I wanted to try playing Destiny 2 but I knew it was the kind of game that I would want to play with a group of friends and not just solo, and I didn't have anybody to play with soooo