Does anyone satisfy their entire "gaming diet" on mobile nowadays?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I was talking to a friend just now about how there's too many good games nowadays on EVERY platform that it's kinda hard to keep up!

I was espousing the joys of the PS4 to him and he said "He couldn't justify another console" nowadays, which I totally understand

We were discussing how there's also so many games on phones/tablets that absolutely rule nowadays too. I know people on here are typically more hardcore, as we're a niche gaming crowd, but is there anyone on here who does most of their gaming on mobile nowadays?

If there is, please let me know how it is, and what you're playing that's kicking arse at the moment!

G0rgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As I got my current phone during the pandemic, and during this time I've not really been leaving the house I don't have a single game installed on my phone. Even back in the before times when I did leave the house I very rarely played phone games, other than a few stand out here and there they don't appeal to me at all.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently installed Magic Arena, but I don't play more than one or two games because it eats batteries. I've never been much of a mobile gamer because of that reason

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Sahalarious

I've yet to find a mobile game worth playing ever. I mess with adventure capitalist but that's self inflicted torture,not gaming haha. Games like RE Village and the mass effect remaster have me firmly planted in the console format still.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CptBedlam

Nah, I still absolutely loathe mobile/touchscreen-gaming. It's so uncomfotable, controls are usually *ss, tiny screen etc.

The only game I ever actually played on my phone for a while during flights, for example, was Catan. Other than that, if I have to entertain myself with my phone it's music, podcasts, audio books or youtube.

In general, I don't like playing during communtes or while in public. I need quiet and comfortable surroundings for my gaming. Tried playing some games on my Switch on longer train or bus rides but I just can't get into it.

lesblank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kept up more with mobile when I was in school and had much less time/space/money to get myself a console. Mostly smaller micro-strategy games or turn based games. If I could shout out one larger scale game I wish caught on is Ravenmark. It had one mechanic I still think would be fascinating to see in other games that was combining units to make formations, altering their tile footprint and mobility. It also just has a lot of charm in it's presentation and unexpected depth and variety to their unit designs.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this doesn't answer the question, but i'm excited that a few days ago i upgraded to a Nokia 2720 which has a more modern version of Snake on it, which is ok.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

No.

Every time I've tried smartphone gaming when out and about, I've found that I preferred to just browse the internet. There's always something to look at or read or some stupid meme to occupy me for the five or ten minutes that I might have spent playing a game that I didn't really want to play. In addition, I don't really like obscuring my gaming screen with my fingers, even if it is for a game that works well on touch screens. And I always manage to press the wrong thing. I'm not very good with touch screens, is what I'm saying. I could get one of those smartphone controllers that seem to work really well, but then I've got a controller thing I've got to fit in my pocket along with the phone and nah. Might as well track down a GBA SP or a Micro if that's what I want to do.

And even when I do have the opportunity to play my 3DS or Switch when out and about, I find myself not doing do. I simply tend to prefer my games when sat at either my desk or my living room TV - any other place and I'm not going to be able to get anything out of whatever I'm playing.

MeesterO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

A lot of my habits definitely shifted towards mobile stuff and or playing those games via a PC web browser or client. I dunno some of them really nail the endless account progression I originally looked to MMOs for before MMOs started adopting the it’s ok to log in once a week or quit if we didn’t put out content you enjoyed.

The main offender to this shift in my habits being Granblue Fantasy. I think due to that game I’ve been buying 60 dollar games over the last couple of years and straight up not finishing them. Events would regularly drag me away and I would just prefer to finish those up above all else.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don’t think I’ve been into a mobile game with any degree of intensity since What The Golf, and before that it had been at least three years since I’d really played anything mobile with regularity. I love the idea of playing stuff on the go, and every time I get a new phone or tablet I load up a bunch of games but after the novelty of “oh wow look how well this gatcha game run now” wears off I literally never touch them again. Just not my scene, I guess.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to, even played RPG's. Eventually, I broke or lost my phone taking it out so much. The games got better for sure but the charm wore off about seeing super good graphics on a tiny device. Like how PSP looked great at the time but still lost to ds. Something about the games looking too good or being too intricate makes you wanna only to take it out in situations for long play sessions. For the most part, those long play sessions, standing on a line, plane, etc are now occupied by doing your daily run-through of news that's been bonkers lately (use to think the news was boring as a kid and so did many others as kids but the news was never this good XD) then you can also look on those meme sites for marginally distracting speed dopamine hits of entertainment. It's the same effect you get with you trying to show your friend a new show your into and they pick out their phone and swipe memes they arent into either but do anyway. Games have been replaced by memes. Game companies are too up their asses to realize since they only care about nickel and diming whales that show up well on investor reports all the while they're digging their own holes as games are all mostly free to play pay to win. The future of gaming is looking like Nintendo will need to save it again XD.

Back on topic. No gaming on phones lost its usefulness with memes and just watching videos. If you have enough time for a game it takes so much to get into it, like setting up VR, that you're already pushing yourself to play otherwise it's a simple game like candy crush or other timewasters that I don't feel like playing. Tried carrying my switch around but the games are either too elaborate to play on a bumpy car ride, or too showcasing to pull out on a store line or something. They're too involved, and if they're not, it feels pointless. It's a tuff one. For some reason, handhelds really held up...get it...as a kid, and it's a reason ds or Gameboy was so good. You got some real cartoony graphics and focused on gameplay that was just right in the involved direction. Each game was also at its lowest about 7/10 when popular. The system was also small like a phone. There's a reason playing your phone games doesn't look as dorky as pulling out a huge switch in the middle of a train.

Avatar image for deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c
deactivated-63ce64d7ef40c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only game I have on my phone that's worth playing is Minesweeper.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honkai Impact 3rd during the Evangelion event was very enjoyable. I haven't touched it since, though; too many other options on too many other platforms, and Jim Ryan's shenanigans last month have made the Vita my favorite handheld.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I used to spend a fair amount of time on 2 gacha games but dropped off entirely when my commute was removed from my life last year and haven't really picked it back up since.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Windir2112

I haven't found a phone game that was mechanically interesting enough to keep me playing.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I still like bigger screens for gaming. The closest I get to "mobile" gaming is some visual novel games on my Android Tablet. I love narrative based games so visual novels with a few dilague choices or action choices are fun for me. But, as I said, I like "seeing" my game on a fairly large screen. So I think most gaming I will ever do will be at least on 10" screened tablets.

I think if I could play something like "Until Dawn" or "Life Is Strange" on an android tablet I would do that. So if Sony were to allow for playing PS game on a tablet I would 'try' that. For me a Nintendo Switch is just a bit too small for comfort. I'm not blind. LOL. Yet, smaller screen gaming just isn't enjoyable for me. Yet...yet, if Nintendo made a tablet sized gaming device, I would consider that. Make a Switch with a 10" screen is the point where Nintendo is start talking my language for portable gaming.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Junkerman

I've tried, earnestly to find a Mobile game that didn't absolutely suck. The only one I found was Star Traders: Frontier and a few other games by the same developer.

I've tried games from Review Websites, top ten lists, anything... and they all seem to have some fundamental design flaws that involve an endless grind loop designed to draw money out of the consumer.

Now I've obviously omitted ported games from other consoles like KOTOR and Baldur's Gate.

If anyone can recommend me some genuinely good original Mobile content I will gladly check it out!

*That being said Star Traders: Frontier is my recommendation. I had a lot of fun playing that while stuck endlessly commuting on Aircraft before the dark times.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already feel like I look at my phone way too much, so the idea of staring at it to play a game has never appealed to me.

That being said, Threes is really good.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried Nvidia's streaming service since I got a free year of premium when buying a new gpu last year. Having booted it up a few times I'm always left feeling disappointed at how bad the experience is. Beyond a decent internet connection you'd need a stand and pad in order to make the experience acceptible for most titles. (Even then, you'd need a pretty big phone in order to have a comparible experience to a monitor/TV).

All things considered I'd expect you're asking the wrong demographic (GB caters mainly to PC/console players so wouldn't make much sense for someone who only plays mobile games to exercise much/any interest). I've known a few people who rarely play conventional video games but will almost always play something on thier phone. (At a previous place of employment most of the people I worked with played an avengers f2p game every break but had little/no interest in conventional games/games media).

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a bit embarrased to admit this, but I've often found myself playing mobile games more than console gamings. Like legit I'll play more of AFK: Arena (yeah, yeah, I know) than the mountains of backlog on my ps4/Xbox I have. Honestly, that's probably a big reason: AFK is just easy to get into. It requires no effort and, at the stage I am, I am constantly rewarded for doing the bare minimum. I'm playin FTP (the most I spent was one of those $24 bundles I bought because I got bored and drunk one day), and the game is pretty generous is allowing you progress without having to drop hundreds. I mean, the game clearly wants me to do that, but it also doesn't get in my way. Add the fact that it doesn't have an nauseating anime plot line, It's a game I've surprisingly spent a lot of my time on.

Like Im at, wake up in the morning, do dailies, mode now.

obese_chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

running emulators on a oneplus 7 pro and ipad mini is pretty dope, not gonna lie

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

When mobile gaming was new during the Whiskey Media era they had articles highlighting the best new mobile games and I played about half a dozen neat ones during that time but I've basically not touched mobile games in years. I'd be interested to learn whether it's more worth my time playing that stuff than titles on PC/PS4/Switch that I'm barely keeping up with.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For mobile phone games, I play them casually.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I started using Apple Arcade recently and that service is really underrated. Tons of great games and you never have to deal with ads or microtransactions.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And it's only $5 a month.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes when my wife is using the switch+tv mobile is all I have. So I play clash of clans more than I'd like to admit

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mobile games are perfect for "10 min at a time" sessions. Just things to do while you're doing something else.

jerame2999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work for a medical clinic and there is a fair amount of down time. I started using Apple Arcade due to a lack of options... and I love it. The new ClapHanz Golf is a great golf game and works much better with the touch controls rather than the gamepad. Since the iPhone pairs with my Xbox controller I have used that from time to time to 100% Oceanhorn 2. It's a perfectly acceptable Zelda like. It's not great but it scratched that Zelda itch while I get paid to do something else.

Hoping my bosses never see this.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes actually... I started playing Clash Royale for the first time since launch. There's some awful balance and stuff I hate about it but I've been playing for almost a year and probably more than PC or Switch.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only mobile game I play is Wordfeud, so no.

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For the past 6 Month i just played pretty much:

Fire Emblem Heroes

Fate Go

Genshin Impact ( Although this i played on a PC)

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m 2.5 years into Egg Inc. I don’t know if even counts. Other games on mobile fail to stick with me.

volar_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing Solitairica off and on since Drew introduced it during a UPF. Slay the Spire is fantastic on mobile.

Colmymeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play Game Dev Tycoon on my mobile, but not much since I've been working from home. Other than that I end up trying out a new football(soccer) management game at the start of every new season.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I keep games off my phone. Honestly, the last thing I need is more reasons to pick up my phone when I'm out and about. I play enough games at home to be more than satisfied.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually just deleted like twn mobile games from my phone. I downloaded them months ago and after the initial ten minutes or so, stopped playing them for some reason.

Star Traders: Frontiers is really good. Polytopia and the many Picross-type games are my go-to's.

Not enough games that are played portrait.

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say 50% - my friends and I really got into LOL: Wild Rift. It is a technical marvel that that thing plays as well as it does. MOBA fans should check it out.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't touch mobile games. Never have, never will. If I'm going to play a true game, it's going to be on a console or PC. Tapping on a screen is not a true gaming experience to me.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ryan3370

@mechashadow84: so edgy. If you never played something like Threes it's your loss.

taylorwmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The majority of mobile games are trash and that keeps me from playing the good ones. Currently have zero games installed on my phone.